Cam Pedersen

InVINCEable

No that's what he told me he has to do, you will see Dawes, Frawley and Garland from the other side doing the same thing, perhaps crunch is wrong word, that was my word not his, how about tackle strongly

I read it to be that it is actually Pedersen's instructions to do that and Satyriconhome is just relaying them to us (rather than it being Satyriconhome's idea).

Thanks for clarifying that.

Interesting thought , despite the real impact he has had this season, that he continues to be picked if he isn't following instructions. ( and I am not suggesting in any way that he should be dropped - just raising a question on "the Roos way")

In what way is he not following instructions? I've seen him on TV do exactly what Saty said; appear in the contest from half forward and impact it physically. I thought it'd be even more apparent from the ground?

• Like 1

A comment, it's not as if they are not working, at training they all put in, they have to but

Strauss - keeps finding ways of injuring himself, if he could stay injury free who knows

Blease - consistency, seems not to be able to put it together week after week, has had one game for Casey (against Northern Blues) where he managed 4 quarters of conistent effort

Nicholson - not sure, even misses simple targets by foot at training, can it be fixed? Think the brain gets ahead of the body

Tapscott - see Strauss

Out of those I think Strauss has the greatest potential but he is on thin ice. He showed a bit at the start of the year then got injured. Returned via Casey where he was in the bests for a few weeks in a row but couldn't break into the side. With Grimes, Terlich, Jetta and Clisby he is going to have a tough time getting back into the side. One thing he has on top of those 4 and the rest of our defence is a good kick. Needs to find an aggressive edge and find the ball more at AFL level.

Blease - has some upside but also some deficiencies (Defence/decision making/team player)

Nicho - I think he is just not up to AFL but then I thought that about Pedo

Tappy - At the start of the year I couldn't really see him playing a specific role but after seeing Pedo, Jetta etc. if he can stay on the park he could mould his game on Chappy (like Pedo needs to pull some speed and agility out of nowhere)

Edited by Young Dee

I don't think this can be stated enough times. What the average supporter sees as a game worthy of staying in the team or being dropped is obviously different from what Roos and co see as their benchmark of "play your role". As you have pointed our with Jetta, I also am thinking that the role or messages are kept narrow and focused and their measurement process transparent. This has given quite a few players confidence of knowing exactly what they need to do and we are seeing the results.

its the non negotiables to me. If you do them & well, it'll take a bit to force you out. flashy play is 2nd fiddle to the basics, & hard bloody work. liam would struggle. as would others from the past 15 years.

Whilst it would certainly seem the Roos has played a big part in our overall revival, one must also give credit to those individuals who have made these strides themselves. Remember it has happened with Pedersen, Bail, Jetta and Dunn in particular, who have put in the work and done exactly what has been asked of them........but there are others, including Strauss, Blease, Nicholson etc who haven't either chosen to or been able to make the step up. This is not to discredit Roos, but just saying a coach can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink. Or maybe, contrary to recruiting hype, some of these guys aren't Phar Lap type thoroughbreds poorly developed, but rather just ordinary nags. Who knows.

Phar Lap apparently was a lazy hack... until they made him work got his fitness up. he was a champ with a big heart.

I can't remember which poster here was regularly setting up polls, but an interesting question would be how many here / who would have delisted Pedersen, and who would have done the same to Jetta, at the end of 2013?

I would hazard a guess that the majority would have.

Thank goodness that the club ain't a democracy !

Humble-Pie.jpg

We would need quite a few pies!

I think its fair to note that the decision was made at a time when we thought our forward line would consist of Clark, Dawes, Hogan, Watts, Fitzy.

Currently I would put Pedo in-between Watts and Fitzy but at the start of the year I thought Fitzy would cement himself at AFL so things could have turned out very different if it wasn't for injury/illness

Edited by Young Dee

Thanks coach. I wonder if Mr Roos has thought of that :-)

Are you suggesting a Dermie style rush in and crunch maneuver? Not sure how many games he would play these days with the MRP watching closely.

it might be a reflection of our wanting some bigger mids, & bigger bodies around the square. I like it. He doesn't have to knock them out, just tenderize them for the barbie.

I can't remember which poster here was regularly setting up polls, but an interesting question would be how many here / who would have delisted Pedersen, and who would have done the same to Jetta, at the end of 2013?

I would hazard a guess that the majority would have.

Thank goodness that the club ain't a democracy !

I wouldn't have, & I was disappointed when Jetta was taken off the list. thankfully we took him back. he suits the Non Negotiables footy. the unMelbourne style footy.

• Like 1

Out of those I think Strauss has the greatest potential but he is on thin ice. He showed a bit at the start of the year then got injured. Returned via Casey where he was in the bests for a few weeks in a row but couldn't break into the side. With Grimes, Terlich, Jetta and Clisby he is going to have a tough time getting back into the side. One thing he has on top of those 4 and the rest of our defence is a good kick. Needs to find an aggressive edge and find the ball more at AFL level.

Blease - has some upside but also some deficiencies (Defence/decision making/team player)

Nicho - I think he is just not up to AFL but then I thought that about Pedo

Tappy - At the start of the year I couldn't really see him playing a specific role but after seeing Pedo, Jetta etc. if he can stay on the park he could mould his game on Chappy (like Pedo needs to pull some speed and agility out of nowhere)

If these 4 don't improve much this season, I would trade Blease for a bucket of chips, delist Strauss, Nicho, & Tapscott, & if they aren't drafted, then rookie Strauss & Tapscott for one season.

Humble-Pie.jpg

We would need quite a few pies!

I think its fair to note that the decision was made at a time when we thought our forward line would consist of Clark, Dawes, Hogan, Watts, Fitzy.

Currently I would put Pedo in-between Watts and Fitzy but at the start of the year I thought Fitzy would cement himself at AFL so things could have turned out very different if it wasn't for injury/illness

While we're on 'the subject', what we need on this forum is a great Pie fight^^^, to elevate the mood somewhat, to lighten it up a bit, & to smell the lemon meringue.

Demonlands List-Management meeting >

Edited by dee-luded

In what way is he not following instructions? I've seen him on TV do exactly what Saty said; appear in the contest from half forward and impact it physically. I thought it'd be even more apparent from the ground?

Humble apologies - I misunderstood the original post, and haven't been fortunate enough to get to more than one game, and missed most on TV too.

To use annoying jargon - he seems to have "taken on board the message".

Well done all.

Neville Jetta and Pedo were 2 players I shook my head at...in addition to Bennell, Spencer and especially Byrnes.

Both (Jetta & Pedo) have put their body on the line and have had a massive impact.

If they keep up this sort of form, the egg will be forever stuck.

• Like 1

It's a shame Ben doesn't post here any more. He backed Pedo although as I recall he went off him reasonably quickly and has probably lost his bragging rights.

Was it his decision?

Late last year, I ran into Pedo on my lunch break in Bayswater.. Asked for a photo, he looked shocked that someone recognised him. Told him I'm a mad melbourne supporter and that I loved his work (which may have been stretching the truth a tad at the time) .. I think I may have blown a bit of wind into his sails, along with the Roos effect. Its so good to see him turn it around!

I can start showing off the photo with pride :)

• Like 2

Late last year, I ran into Pedo on my lunch break in Bayswater.. Asked for a photo, he looked shocked that someone recognised him. Told him I'm a mad melbourne supporter and that I loved his work (which may have been stretching the truth a tad at the time) .. I think I may have blown a bit of wind into his sails, along with the Roos effect. Its so good to see him turn it around!

I can start showing off the photo with pride :)

My mistake. I thought it was Roos we had to thank. Please accept my apologies for not having thanked you sooner.

• Like 2

Neville Jetta and Pedo were 2 players I shook my head at...in addition to Bennell, Spencer and especially Byrnes.

Both (Jetta & Pedo) have put their body on the line and have had a massive impact.

If they keep up this sort of form, the egg will be forever stuck.

In the same vein, can someone please pass me a piece of pie for my comments on Nev Jetta.

Gutsy, brave and 'plays his role'.

Roos is an effen genius.

PS I'm calling it now - Strauss will fire up soon!

Edited by jumbo returns

I admit I was put off a bit by CP by my son who follows North. Said he was lazy and undisciplined and that North were glad to get rid of him. I thought CP had a pretty average year last season but has been sensational so far this year.

In the same vein, can someone please pass me a piece of pie for my comments on Nev Jetta.

Gutsy, brave and 'plays his role'.

Roos is an effen genius.

PS I'm calling it now - Strauss will fire up soon!

I'll save you the embarrassment. Strauss is pretty much finished.

The only hope for guys like Blease and Strauss is giving them the Jetta treatment and delisting them but keeping them training with us and seeing if they will shape up. Injuries and talent limitation have hindered them (and poor coaching), but they just haven't wanted it badly enough. The common theme with Pedersen and Jetta is that they wanted it and over preseason they worked for it. Especially Pedersen, a completely new player this preseason compared to last.

I'll save you the embarrassment. Strauss is pretty much finished.

The only hope for guys like Blease and Strauss is giving them the Jetta treatment and delisting them but keeping them training with us and seeing if they will shape up. Injuries and talent limitation have hindered them (and poor coaching), but they just haven't wanted it badly enough. The common theme with Pedersen and Jetta is that they wanted it and over preseason they worked for it. Especially Pedersen, a completely new player this preseason compared to last.

With one more thing, Nev finally after five years had no post/pre season ops and got through every session in the pre season he had to...showing the benefits of his first full preseason....one of the reasons Rawlings went in to bat for him, knew the talent was there but had never got a proper crack.......

Edited by Satyriconhome

With one more thing, Nev finally after five years had no post/pre season ops and got through every session in the pre season he had to...showing the benefits of his first full preseason....one of the reasons Rawlings went in to bat for him, knew the talent was there but had never got a proper crack.......

Hey Saty,

Are you aware of the definition of the roles - not so much as to what they are but the detail ?

For example - are they given instruction - Nev Jetta - you need to not worry about attacking the ball and peeling off and just shut your man down - or are they given specific targets - for example - Ro Bail - as a defensive forward you need to lay at least 5 tackles for the match - measurables ?

My diet hasn't changed surprisingly, amazing results if you don't bag players just for the sake of it

The only transformation that Roos has done for a lot of players on the list is between the ears, a full pre season, a specific role with specific instructions, confidence that if you play your role you will stay in the team

It would have been a good post were it not for the first line. No one was knocking Pederson for the sake of it. That's just a troll of a post. He looked genuinely lost and spudtastic. He struggled to hold marks, contest and have any impact on a game whatsoever. The three year contract didn't help matters.

I agree with the rest of your post though. It was clearly a mental thing for Pederson and giving him a clear and concise role has obviously got him playing great footy. Congratulations to Roosy, Stone and co and most importantly, Cam.

• Like 1