• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Most improved Kick in AFL.. Bail

don cordner

I haven't noticed Bail's kicking at all since pre-season where he was still kicking the big up and unders that gave defenders way too much time. So that means either he has improved his kicking or he isn't getting a kick, so I am guessing it is the former.

Never underestimate what confidence and self belief can do. Roos is in no small part responsible for so much, due to the faith he has shown in our players which is being rewarded

• Like 1

Read somewhere he has been working hard on his kicking, especially set shots with one the best kicks in the league - our own Jack Watts. previous years you could count on a set shot directly in front missing badly. Not so now, amazing what a bit of confidence in ones own ability backing from coaches and teammates does. Has found a niche for himself - works. Bloody hard to get the pill and I'm quite certain he is spent or very close to it by the time he gets on the end of the chain. He will get better

I really like Bail and Watts as a half forward combo,

Bail: gets plenty of the ball, lays a lot of tackles, moves well, provides huge forward defensive pressure and makes a half back accountable, he also impacts the score board and is much better overhead than one would have thought

Watts: Tall, fast, great mark, capable of kicking big bags, his kicking into 50 is fantastic, great at finding a target in traffic and demands the respect of a defender so they can't just run off

when you add in Dawes and Hogan to that forward line as key targets, JKH and resting ruckman sitting in the pockets it becomes a very solidly structured forward line.

• Like 1

Could add Tom McDonald to that list as well

McDonald's use of the ball is what is currently standing between he and being an A grade defender.

He only needs to get it up to "adequate" and I'll be happy. And it doesn't necessarily mean improving his actual skill, which I would expect would be easier said than done, just through choosing better options. Clint Bartram was a good example of a player with ordinary disposal who learned to play within his own limitations.

• Like 1

At the start of the year I had Bail on a list, alongside Tapscott, Mckenzie, Strauss, Blease, etc, it was a list of who are in danger of getting the axe at season's end.

Bail for me personally has lifted himself from that list, while he still may not be the best player, he's certainly stepped up. All you can ask for the guy is to give his all and try, and he has been doing just that.

McDonald's use of the ball is what is currently standing between he and being an A grade defender.

He only needs to get it up to "adequate" and I'll be happy. And it doesn't necessarily mean improving his actual skill, which I would expect would be easier said than done, just through choosing better options. Clint Bartram was a good example of a player with ordinary disposal who learned to play within his own limitations.

I'm not that fussed with his disposal as such either. What i am a little frustrated with is that he tends to be a 2 or 3 touch "fumble fingers" when the ball is bouncing towards him or as he's running onto a bouncing ball. This puts pressure on his decision making as opponents are often able to get to the contest and pressure him while he's attempting his 2nd or 3rd try at picking it up.

I've also noticed he often dishes off in the pockets with a handball and just doesn't run on far enough (forward) for the 1 / 2 give off to work (into space). Hangs too close, allowing the player that pressured the guy he just handed it off to....to then get to him (or other opponent closing in) as he's being given the ball again.

I like his run once he does take possession though. Has a nice turn of speed and is able to close down on his opponent in marking contests often killing the ball as well.

Some of his decision making is strange though after this many games. Like yesterday i think a long bomb came in to about the 25 meter mark. Instead of attempting to punch the ball from behind (might have been Vickery in front position) he tried to mark it. Pretty sure Vickery marked and goaled here.

In short, a great athlete and run with player but in terms of footy smarts when he gets the ball in space (or attempts to), still a fair way to go IMO. If Rivers was still with us i suspect Tommy might be in the magoos honing his craft a bit more. Great efforts this year though and never shirks a contest.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1

Read somewhere he has been working hard on his kicking, especially set shots with one the best kicks in the league - our own Jack Watts. previous years you could count on a set shot directly in front missing badly. Not so now, amazing what a bit of confidence in ones own ability backing from coaches and teammates does. Has found a niche for himself - works. Bloody hard to get the pill and I'm quite certain he is spent or very close to it by the time he gets on the end of the chain. He will get better

From what i've observed his kicking over about 40m+ seems to be at least better directed to the player he's attempting to kick to than what i witnessed last year. Not sure about the set shots for goals or short passing over say 30m or less though. Still pretty dodgy on the short stab pass attempts if you ask me and i'd be happy to see him dish off an easy lateral to a Watts or Howe who can then do the work more effectively coming inside 50. Not sure what his set shot on goal percentage is at various ranges. He might well be improving on those.

His disposal efficiency has improved from last year.

For the first 17 rounds he was ranked 35 out of 37 (of those who had played an AFL game on the list) at 56.8%

This year - Ranked 27 out of 32 with an average efficiency of 62.7%

Didn't help his cause yesterday though at 53.8% while the team ran at 71.1% for the match

Edited by Rusty Nails

Bail's kicking is still very average, watch the first two minutes of the second quarter I think it was.

Yes agree. In play and particularly under pressure he's not good, it's still a raffle as to whether it will hit the target. TMac frightens me more, as does Terlich. Great endeavour and can't fault their hardness at the ball, just disposal regularly let's them down. However, Bail's set shot are pretty damn good at the moment. These guys are working on it and getting better. I recall Jones was not a great kick in his first few seasons, now very reliable under pressure or at goal.

Nick Riewoldt

Goal kicking for sure, he really has become a good set shot now when it was probably the biggest weakness in his game.

Goes to show even though he's coming to the end of his career he can still keep on learning and improving his craft.

Howe, McDonald and M Jones all coughed up disgustingly bad turnovers under pretty much no pressure yesterday, but each of them did a lot else right to make sure it didn't lose us the game (which is a marked improvement on recent years).

Nonetheless, they need to all improve their short kicking (Grimes does as well, as does Terlich, as does Bail). When playing decent sides, giving up goals due to laughable errors is going to kill us.