The official I love Dom Tyson thread

Dees were drafting Billings if we kept Pick 2. That is fact...Makes the whole argument redundant.

Would be consistent with two of Roos comments about the draft. One that they did not plan on taking Kelly. Two that Roos was specifically after tall mids and whilst Billings was only 2 cm taller than Kelly when drafted he was still taller none the less

Dees were drafting Billings if we kept Pick 2. That is fact...Makes the whole argument redundant.

This sounds about right. We rated Salem at 3 (said by JT at function some posters here attended, late last year), and wouldn't have taken Kelly at 2 so that probably reads 1. Boyd, 2. Billings, 3. Salem. So we "sort of" got Tyson for free. Great trading.

Whatever the case it's great to see we have drafted some quality, I was getting sick of seeing most other clubs getting good players at both ends of the draft whilst we struggled to get anything good with high picks.

The choice of JKH was inspired and this kid will be a star, although I'm not sure where he will finish up playing, he can just about play anywhere, forward or back or midfield. Tyson, Salem and JKH, then throw in Vince, Cross, Michie and Riley and you have 5 long term and 2 teachers all in the one draft. Of course you have a few young kids as well, Hunt, King and Harmes; you have to wonder where we'd be if Roos, Taylor and Viney had had the opportunity to do this last year and the year before.

• Like 2

Melbourne vs Port Adelaide

10 Boak (PA)
8 Tyson (Melb)
6 R. Gray (PA)
2 Jetta (Melb)
2 N. Jones (Melb)
2 Westhoff (PA)

Both coaches had him 2nd BOG vs Port. Funny that some Demonlanders left him out of their votes completely

Interesting. I'd heard (but not seen) that Tyson picked up the three votes in the Herald Sun. Can anyone confirm or deny this? If true, pretty good effort in a losing side.

Interesting. I'd heard (but not seen) that Tyson picked up the three votes in the Herald Sun. Can anyone confirm or deny this? If true, pretty good effort in a losing side.

Confirmed!

And yes, pretty good effort!

• Like 1

"A solid source inside the recruiting office?"

Melbourne vs Port Adelaide

10 Boak (PA)

8 Tyson (Melb)

6 R. Gray (PA)

2 Jetta (Melb)

2 N. Jones (Melb)

2 Westhoff (PA)

Both coaches had him 2nd BOG vs Port. Funny that some Demonlanders left him out of their votes completely

i had him at 5, lol.

I was able to look past a few clangers.

He instantly got in the votes for his tackle, steal and goal from 55/60 metres

I think the reason why Tyson is performing so well is not only about the fact that he's unbelievably talented.

Tyson has real support that he didnt have at GWS and funnily, we didnt have last year.

N Jones, M Jones, Cross, Vince, Viney (he is so so so much better than last year) and possibly Grimes are giving eachother support that actually allows players to improve and thrive.

I just love his long kicking and his long range goals.

But im loving roosy's comments on the unnamed recruiter who said we made a massive mistake not getting kelly. Roosy said these comments in his presser yesterday.

“I haven’t actually got a phone call yet. I’m still looking forward to that phone call,” Roos said.

“I’m definitely looking forward to speaking to him and just setting his path on his next vocation.”

Its good to see he is defending his decision and our club.

• Like 2

• 6 years later...

10 hours ago, Elegt said:

The fact dom can't get a game at the roos speaks volumes about us

He was a decent player who filled a need at the time. I don’t know why people feel the need to whack club and player for no reason over ancient history.

• Like 18

I feel for Dom. I would have easily kept him as depth and last year he would have easily played a lot of games if fit. I honestly thought after his 2014 year, he was going to go on to become a 200 game workhorse for this club. 

He ended up playing 94 games for this club which is a great achievement in itself. I am sure the club will always welcome him back with open arms for future functions

I hope Dom can get his body right and play some solid games for the Roos. An outstanding individual off field also.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

dom's drop off from a part of our best 18 to not even being regularly in the kangas' best for their vfl sides when fit last year was such a shame to see

i, too, really thought he was going to be a ripsnorter of a long-term player for us

his first year for us he was one of our only mids who seemed to be able to regularly impact the scoreboard

nice fella too

Edited by whatwhatsaywhat
  • Like 1

Was happy for Dom to stay and thought he still had something to offer the club.  The way his career has planned out though doesn’t detract from an excellent 2014.

22 games

16 goals

24 disposals (ave)

5.5 marks (ave)

11 Brownlow votes from a 20/21 year old in a 4 win season.

This thread probably says more about the person who bumped it than it does Tyson and the MFC.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Was happy for Dom to stay and thought he still had something to offer the club.  The way his career has planned out though doesn’t detract from an excellent 2014.

This thread probably says more about the person who bumped it than it does Tyson and the MFC.

That last half-dozen games in 2014... sigh. Looked like a break-out from a young dynamic mid capable on the inside and the outside, laying tackles, getting clearances, marking around the ground, kicking goals - he was providing us with a complete, well-rounded midfielder.  Something which even now we don't quite have one of.

Tyson's end of season surge followed by stagnation makes me irrationally nervous about Fristch doing the same after his amazing finish to last season.  Touching wood and all that.

3 hours ago, Nasher said:

He was a decent player who filled a need at the time. I don’t know why people feel the need to whack club and player for no reason over ancient history.

Never had pace and couldn't kick. Great servant but was a sin to trade Kelly/billings for him and Salem 

6 minutes ago, Elegt said:

Never had pace and couldn't kick. Great servant but was a sin to trade Kelly/billings for him and Salem 

It was a good trade and the right thing to do at the time.  We needed someone who could step in right away and it was always about weighing up the odds of two potentially good players vs one potentially good player.  If the Salem pick went to recruiting Cripps at pick 12, then it would have been a master-stroke.  It’s swing and roundabouts.

Not to mention that fact that Roos has said several times that that pick was never going to Kelly, but to Billings.

Its very easy to snipe in retrospect, but even 7 years later you’ve err’d; if we had kept Pick 2 we should have used it on Bontempelli.  

Drafting’s much easier a decade after the fact.

• Like 3