The "Melbourne" Chant at the end of the game.

13thFlagIsComing

In the last 5 minutes of the game a slow chant of "Melbourne....Melbourne" started echoing around the ground. Now sitting at the top of the Members, the sound from all the Melbourne supports still at the ground was amazing. Watched the replay and you could hear it but the effects mic didn't do it justice.

If anyone can upload it onto here that would be great.

I haven't heard it before (i'm 35) and loved it. This needs to get louder and louder every week!

2 questions

1) On previous threads here it has been mentioned there was a "chant" during the 87 finals. Was this the same one?

2) Are the fans going to do it again this week? I hope we do when we are up against the Suns with a few mins to go.

• Like 3

yeah loved it too

also loved the carlton fans booing at 3/4 time

Almost as good as my texting to my Carlton friends at the 28 minute mark of the final quarter ( one can never be too certain of a Melbourne win)

• Like 4

Am I wrong, or is it just a blatant rip-off of the slow Coooolllllliiiiinnnnnggggwwwwoooooddddd chant those [censored]s have been doing the last couple of years?

Don't mind a bit of sticking it up opposition fans, but I wouldn't mind if we could do it our own way.

I remember someone suggesting a couple of years ago that the trumpeter (I know, I know…) could start up when we've got the game locked up in time-on in the last quarter, and I actually don't mind that. It's arrogant as all hell, but it's also very 'Melbourne'.

Yes same one as we used to do in 87 ......Collingwood pinched the idea off us.

Ah, I'm too young to have much memory of the Northey years. Glad it's them ripping us off, not the other way around.

That would suggest a deviant streak in your character Nutter

I actually felt a little bit sick putting those two words together. ( Carlton and friend)

a story - my two daughters were/are Melbourne supporters - both grown up now. When we were going through a horror patch - one of the many - my eldest daughter who was about 9 said she couldnt take it any more and wanted to barrack for the same team as mummy - she was a Carlton supporter in name only. I said to the now ex wife," I can go through life not having having a son but I cant go through life living with an actual Carlton supporter - So the exie changed to barracking for Melbourne - and to this day - every week my now 24 year old daughter and I go together to the footy.

A side note - I may have also told the daughter that I would cancel her MCC waiting list application and I would never take her to the football again - harsh but necessary.

Edited by nutbean
  • Like 3

Now now bbo my partner is a blues supporter. But then that doesn't mean she's my friend. She was however happy for me.

My new partner barracks for Collingwood ( still has her own teeth - amazing !)

I took her aside about two years ago and said I wanted to ask her a very serious question - she got quite flustered. I asked her to change football teams to Melbourne. Didn't talk to me for three days. Only after a week did I realise she thought I was going to ask her to marry me.

I am sensing there is a reason why I have two failed marriages behind me.

( postscript - she has met me halfway now - she has stopped barracking for Collingwood - its a good start)

• Like 4

do you remember the chanting when we steam rolled into the finals - the chanting sent tingles down my spine

• Like 1

Actually, Collingwood pinched it off Sydney (early 2000s) who had in turn pinched it off us, earlier.

It's funny, when Sydney did it at the SCG and especially in a couple of those big games when Olympic park filled up, it was eerie and unsettling.

When Collingwood do it, I just feel like telling them to shut up and stop being annoying, like people yelling int he city street outside your apartment late on a saturday night. Uncannily like that, actually.

do you remember the chanting when we steam rolled into the finals - the chanting sent tingles down my spine

Yes , was so proud , the noise the Dees supporters made during those finals was scary...

I actually felt a little bit sick putting those two words together. ( Carlton and friend)

a story - my two daughters were/are Melbourne supporters - both grown up now. When we were going through a horror patch - one of the many - my eldest daughter who was about 9 said she couldnt take it any more and wanted to barrack for the same team as mummy - she was a Carlton supporter in name only. I said to the now ex wife," I can go through life not having having a son but I cant go through life living with an actual Carlton supporter - So the exie changed to barracking for Melbourne - and to this day - every week my now 24 year old daughter and I go together to the footy.

A side note - I may have also told the daughter that I would cancel her MCC waiting list application and I would never take her to the football again - harsh but necessary.

Excellent parenting Nutter! And obviously you did well in getting rid of a partner who had Carlton affiliations. Great work all round.

• Like 1

I know we haven't had a lot to cheer about these past few years, but I remember being a young fella going to the footy back in 98, 2000, 2002 and 2004, when we were up playing well, our supporters are as loud and proud as any. I honestly can't wait until we have some sustained success and we can pack the G and drown out visiting sides.

• Like 2

Some of the older ones amongst us might be able to confirm but I thought I'd read the chant also used to get used during the Smith years in the 50's/60's?

I can remember it from the '70's although I guess it wouldn't have been used much. A bloke who sat in / near the cheer squad used to start it up. He looked a bit like a bikie - not an uncommon look in the '70's - and he & his mate would leave a mountain of empty cans after a day a at the G

Almost as good as my texting to my Carlton friends at the 28 minute mark of the final quarter ( one can never be too certain of a Melbourne win)

That would suggest a deviant streak in your character Nutter

Acquaintances, associates, colleagues, even concubines, maybe......but true blue Blues friends????? Stretching the line a bit there.

I was sitting on the top level of the southern stand (surprisingly great seats and view of the ground) and the chant was eerie and echoed throughout the ground. It started from behind the goals and moved through the MCC. It was loud. Not Collingwood loud but loud. First time I'd ever heard it. Also, the Melbourne fans behind the goals at the Punt Road end, next to the Carlton cheer squad, they got some Melbourne clapping going which was louder than anything Carlton cheersquad gave.

Also the view of the cheer squad and the whole MCC after Pederson's goal was awesome. I haven't seen Melbourne fans so up and about as one for about 5 years. As I had a view of the Melbourne faithful it was a great sight. Also when the siren rang. Kind of sucks sitting in AFL members sometimes. Wanted to be right in but was surrounded by [censored] Carlton supporters.

• Like 1

The very thought of it still does for me.

I was sitting on the top level of the southern stand (surprisingly great seats and view of the ground) and the chant was eerie and echoed throughout the ground. It started from behind the goals and moved through the MCC. It was loud. Not Collingwood loud but loud. First time I'd ever heard it. Also, the Melbourne fans behind the goals at the Punt Road end, next to the Carlton cheer squad, they got some Melbourne clapping going which was louder than anything Carlton cheersquad gave.

Also the view of the cheer squad and the whole MCC after Pederson's goal was awesome. I haven't seen Melbourne fans so up and about as one for about 5 years. As I had a view of the Melbourne faithful it was a great sight. Also when the siren rang. Kind of sucks sitting in AFL members sometimes. Wanted to be right in but was surrounded by [censored] Carlton supporters.

It was also fantastic after the siren when, as the players congregated to walk off the ground, much of the MCC gravitated towards the player race to clap and cheer and show our support.

I have always believed that 30,000 Melbourne supporters are just as passionate and equally as loud as 60,000 of most other club's. We just haven't had much chance to show it of late.

Also when the siren rang. Kind of sucks sitting in AFL members sometimes. Wanted to be right in but was surrounded by [censored] Carlton supporters.

Yeah the one thing that annoys me about AFL Members area is that all the Melbourne supporters sit over the other side. Might have to walk around and stand up the back on the wing in the Northern Stand for a couple of games later this year.