Changes for Gold Coast Round 5

Grapeviney

Please explain how was he "great"?

Yes he will be a footballer but looked very lost out there today, no fault of his own.

Kicked a cracking goal, had 2 more direct goal score involvements, 1 great run down tackle, 3 fantastic spoils that he had no right to get to.

Played the type of game you would hope a kid playing his first full game might play yet people want to drop him.

We made no change when we lost to StKilda yet people are expecting 3-4 changes when we win for blokes that are not proven to perform at senior level.

I expect Clisby in for Terlich due to his hammy and Evans to play sub again. I doubt you will see another change.

Edited by big_red_fire_engine
  • Like 7

Kicked a cracking goal, had 2 more direct goal score involvements, 1 great run down tackle, 3 fantastic spoils that he had no right to get to.

Played the type of game you would hope a kid playing his first full game might play yet people want to drop him.

We made no change when we lost to StKilda yet people are expecting 3-4 changes when we win for blokes that are not proven to perform at senior level.

I expect Clisby in for Terlich due to his hammy and Evans to play sub again. I doubt you will see another change.

So you don't think Jamar & Garland are proven at senior level?

People wanted Jamar dropped for most of last year. Spencer plays his best game for the club. I doubt we'll play 2 rucks so where is the logic?

Garland is one of our best 5 but has not played a game including pre-season. Its not like Dawes where you can anchor him deep.

I am more talking about the random requests to bring in Blease, Toumpas etc.....

• Like 1

People wanted Jamar dropped for most of last year. Spencer plays his best game for the club. I doubt we'll play 2 rucks so where is the logic?

Garland is one of our best 5 but has not played a game including pre-season. Its not like Dawes where you can anchor him deep.

I am more talking about the random requests to bring in Blease, Toumpas etc.....

Yes I agree, I'd leave Toumpas, Blease, Salem, even JKH etc to develop at Casey for a while. My reasoning for Jamar would be to free up Pederson so he isn't changing from back line to ruck, just let him play defence. Play Jamar as another big target up forward and when Spencer wants a spell throw Jamar in the ruck. I have to admit I was a Pederson knocker but he's really surprised me down back, I laughed at his goal yesterday. The more I think about it I'd bring in Garland for Howe.

I don't think Garland is playing for Casey today, even if he is I think having missed so much preseason he'd need 2 weeks at Casey. As good as Garland is we aren't really missing him structurally we are just missing his class.

Jamar has to be considered to provide Spencer a back up. But that would mean playing either of the rucks deep forward for large parts of the game, probably alongside Dawes and either of Frawley or Dunn, which then means the other of those two has to go back to defense, which in turn means Pedersen gets dropped.

Gold Coast's strength is not their talls, it's their running players. Therefore I'd probably continue with the current structure of Pedersen, McDonald and Georgiou down back and Frawley, Dunn and Dawes forward with a patchwork system to give Spencer a rest in the ruck.

Ideal structures, use of talls and picking the most talented 22 players is nice in theory, but yesterday was proof if you pick guys who perform in the spots you put them you'll get a much better result.

• Like 1

If Jamar is available, would it be wise to give Spensil a rest?

I've been a massive Spencer critic for quite a while now, but he played very well yesterday. Was aggressive and whilst beaten in the ruck, he provided a great deal more around the ground for us than he has done in the past.

I wouldn't tempt fate by giving him a rest after he has played his best game for the club. Particularly not for the likes of Jamar. If it were Cox, then maybe i'd think about it, but not Jamar.

• Like 3

I've been a massive Spencer critic for quite a while now, but he played very well yesterday. Was aggressive and whilst beaten in the ruck, he provided a great deal more around the ground for us than he has done in the past.

I wouldn't tempt fate by giving him a rest after he has played his best game for the club. Particularly not for the likes of Jamar. If it were Cox, then maybe i'd think about it, but not Jamar.

well said.

his game against mumford was bagged,but he went with a better bigger stronger more experienced ruckman and in the wet with no back up.his game wasnt that bad for a learner.

your werent the only one to knock him,but kudos for your post

Edited by jazza

I'm not a fan of Spencer, but all I wanted from him was more engagement with the game - minimum non - negotiables for this group now.

Yesterday, he was much better.

He's set the bar, that's where he needs to be every week.

His work rate beyond the ball ups and throw ins was much better than against Mumford. Maybe his thrashing from last week is a godsend.

I'm not a fan of Spencer, but all I wanted from him was more engagement with the game - minimum non - negotiables for this group now.

Yesterday, he was much better.

He's set the bar, that's where he needs to be every week.

Agreed.

He's a big unco guy with a massive heart. He competes hard and always gives a second effort. Give him a long run of games and he will improve.

Edited by Deemotivated

I'd love Toumpas to have a great game today to push for selection. Also, Trengove, the forgotten man needs to show something. I fear for this kid. He doesn't appear, to my mind at least, to be part of an up and going Melbourne.

hope everybody realises that under this coach games arent given away to all players on the list.

you gotta earn them with this coach.

thats why moving JH to the backline improves our team so much and sends the message to all ressie players.

if you want in,be prepared and play where told.

love the new place were in.

no freebies and no changes for changes sake

Minimal changes, anyone coming into the side needs to prove TODAY in the Casey game that they are playing well enough to TAKE the spot of someone in the team. That is the culture we want to get to, not well lets drop Spencer, or drop JKH and bring in someone else on the vague hope that they may play better. They need to be showing they are playing better before they should be considered. Sadly we have been working from the position of weakness where we have have players playing so bad we keep swapping them for someone else in the hope they will do better. Please let those days be gone.

I think Clisby in for Terlich this week.

Week after against the Swans Riley is a chance with 3 games at VFL level by then, Will add some grunt in the midfield.

Possible Hogan Week after that.

• Like 1