• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Demons could get priority pick

ChaserJ

I'm am so sick of Melbourne supporters continually talking about the draft.

It's been finally recognised the last week or so, but this is the attitude that contributed to this club's demise. This constant perception that 'oh, we'll just get some new kids, then we'll be right'.

Even if we draft the next Lance Franklin this year, we will go nowhere until we improve across our entire list.

Let's start focusing on internal change, not external change.

Edited by titan_uranus
  • Like 7

I'd put forward the same idea as last year...

-Give us a mini-draft type pick for the rights to the best 17 year old

-That pick is a compulsory trade for a player/s

We get in a quality experienced player, another club gets a good youngster, the current draft is not impeded.

I'd put forward the same idea as last year...

-Give us a mini-draft type pick for the rights to the best 17 year old

-That pick is a compulsory trade for a player/s

We get in a quality experienced player, another club gets a good youngster, the current draft is not impeded.

Think the date to nominated as a 17 yr old has past (If it were going to be included this year).

They usually did the nominations at the start of the season.

Think the date to nominated as a 17 yr old has past (If it were going to be included this year).

They usually did the nominations at the start of the season.

Yes, but clearly this wouldn't be a typical mini-draft. 1 club, 1 pick, 1 player.

Just reckon it would possibly save all the controversy with a priority pick.

Yes, but clearly this wouldn't be a typical mini-draft. 1 club, 1 pick, 1 player.

Just reckon it would possibly save all the controversy with a priority pick.

Its not a bad idea but it would be to late to incorporate now. Where would the nominations come from? How would it be awarded? For the team who comes last? For teams who have won less then 5 games in past 2 years?

These are things that need to be defined before the season begins, if they wait until the end of the year to see how we go it would be to late to find 17 yr olds willing to nominate at such late notice and much of the talent may not even nominate or able. Remember some of these 17 yr olds would still be in high school next year.

And so three rounds in, it's been decided we are finishing last? Is that what I read from many on here? What a bunch of defeatists. And many thinking we'll get picks 1, 2 and 3. Even pick 4 for Dunn compo! As if.

Need to get off the draft pick drug fix and back to the real world. I'd be happier if we had one 1st rounder and finished 14th. Careful what you wish for. Rather than prop up our incompetent past, the AFL might do a Fitzroy on our future.

• Like 2

Its not a bad idea but it would be to late to incorporate now. Where would the nominations come from? How would it be awarded? For the team who comes last? For teams who have won less then 5 games in past 2 years?

These are things that need to be defined before the season begins, if they wait until the end of the year to see how we go it would be to late to find 17 yr olds willing to nominate at such late notice and much of the talent may not even nominate or able. Remember some of these 17 yr olds would still be in high school next year.

I would assume the nominations would come from the same places as the last few. It would be tricky to get it organized quickly, but I'm sure it could be worked out somehow.

The criteria would be the same as it already is. If the AFL decide to award a PP, then that's how it would work.

And so three rounds in, it's been decided we are finishing last? Is that what I read from many on here? What a bunch of defeatists. And many thinking we'll get picks 1, 2 and 3. Even pick 4 for Dunn compo! As if.

Need to get off the draft pick drug fix and back to the real world. I'd be happier if we had one 1st rounder and finished 14th. Careful what you wish for. Rather than prop up our incompetent past, the AFL might do a Fitzroy on our future.

Have you watched us play yet?!

I would assume the nominations would come from the same places as the last few. It would be tricky to get it organized quickly, but I'm sure it could be worked out somehow.

The criteria would be the same as it already is. If the AFL decide to award a PP, then that's how it would work.

The problem is the nominations are usually made at the start of the season while the PP is decided at the end of the season.

If this were to happen players would be nominating not even knowing if any PP's would even be given that year. They could potentially go through the whole nomination process and have no PPs given which would make it a waste of time.

Of course we'd all "rather" when some games and finish higher but unless we do it's academic. My argument for a PP is premised on IF we go as poorly as everyone believes we will.

And to those who say we don't need it - pfft, which team have you been watching the last couple of years. Yeah we need to change the culture within but we also need to get in as many talented players as possible to try and turnover the list. I don't understand the thinking that because we've stuffed up some picks in the past that we don't need them in the future.

For the record for all the bleating from everyone else about how we've been given numerous picks, we've had TWO priority picks in recent years - 2008 pick 17 (Blease) and 2009 pick 1 (Scully). That's it, not quite the treasure chest everyone's made out. We've clearly deteriorated since then and have now lost our most talented player and possibly will lose our best defender at the end of the year. Our results over the last couple of years bear witness to the fact that we need a priority pick to assist us get out of the horrid position we are in.

• Like 2

Seems nonsensical to be talking draft picks this early into the season.

It sucks but unless things change this is where we are at. I still think we can improve in the second half of the season but whether that will amount to many W's is to be seen. At this stage we're tracking for a less than 4 win season, following 2 wins last year and 4 the year before (both figures artificially inflated by the expansion clubs).

Let's be honest, the draft has been compromised enough over the past five years. Looking at it objectively, a priority pick should be awarded for us to use at the start of the second round, not the first...we don't deserve picks 1,2 and 3 just because our recruiting has been terrible. So, if we lost Frawley, we would get 1, 2, 19 (priority) and 20. I think that is more than generous. 1,2 and 3 is just ridiculous.

Makes no sense to me. Who do you support?

This club is like an addict looking for its next pick fix.

It's sad we have to have this argument again so early 'P-man'. I think we should just read our posts from last year rather than repeat our arguments. We didn't get one then and it looks like we are not in a great position.

Let me just say this, Hawthorn and Collingwood's premierships were built on the back of PP's, Geelong's on previous Father/Son rules. They got a leg up.

Edited by rjay
  • Like 4

No, it doesn't work like that.

If Frawley leaves we should get a pick between 2-4, depending where we finish on the ladder.

But, that is separate to the AFL allocating us a PP, which should also be between pick 2-4.

If Frawley does leave, his absence is worth every bit of a 2-4 pick. We do take Frawley for granted.

But, then comes the issue of is Frawley worth 800k, I'd say no.. We could get a younger, better player for that coin.

It does work like that!!

It shouldn't be like that and we should get picks according to our circumstances but we should of got one his year bur things like hogan coming on the list stopped us. People forgot we only got that pick because our first pick got stolen from us but the afl is about looks not fairness

• Like 1

Oh god..my headache from the last priority pick debate only recently subsided. It's happening again isn't it?

I did say back then that another season like 2013 and the case would be pretty much indisputable. It doesn't lessen my distaste for the handout mentality that has infested this club and many of its supporters.

Take the picks, but stop being so infatuated with them. It's embarrassing.

It sucks but unless things change this is where we are at. I still think we can improve in the second half of the season but whether that will amount to many W's is to be seen. At this stage we're tracking for a less than 4 win season, following 2 wins last year and 4 the year before (both figures artificially inflated by the expansion clubs).

Fair point Doctor, if however Dawes remains on the park and Jesse returns prior to mid season, which is entirely possible, we may well look a different and more competitive unit.

I have read that some people are paying out on supporters wanting picks 'to fix the problem, to get a fresh lot of kids in'.

If we are given a comp pick for frawley leaving, a priority pick and the standard pick, the club will trade a portion of our picks to bring in proven talent.

of course some 18 year olds arnt going to dig us out of this.

If we are given a priority pick, it should be on the condition that we use it in a trade of some sort, e.g. for a developed player.

I have read that some people are paying out on supporters wanting picks 'to fix the problem, to get a fresh lot of kids in'.

If we are given a comp pick for frawley leaving, a priority pick and the standard pick, the club will trade a portion of our picks to bring in proven talent.

of course some 18 year olds arnt going to dig us out of this.

If we are given a priority pick, it should be on the condition that we use it in a trade of some sort, e.g. for a developed player.

I want picks, I am not ashamed to say that. Just because they didn't work in the past, that means very little - especially when you take Morton, Gysberts, Toumpas and Cook.

Quality picks - used right - will go a LONG way to turning this club around.

I subscribe to the 'lack of talent' theory, because I've watched MFC churn out talentless stick figures since 2008.

I want picks, I want quality, big bodied, aggressive ball winners - in the Mould of Wines, Selwood, Parker, Sloane, Martin, Prestia.

Players we should've targeted in the past - but didn't. That is why we are in this mess, through poor drafting. We practically skipped 4 drafts.

Adelaide know the importance of skipping even a single draft, we practically skipped 3-4.

We need help, we simply do not have the talent.

• Like 3

I want picks, I am not ashamed to say that. Just because they didn't work in the past, that means very little - especially when you take Morton, Gysberts, Toumpas and Cook.

Quality picks - used right - will go a LONG way to turning this club around.

I subscribe to the 'lack of talent' theory, because I've watched MFC churn out talentless stick figures since 2008.

I want picks, I want quality, big bodied, aggressive ball winners - in the Mould of Wines, Selwood, Parker, Sloane, Martin, Prestia.

Players we should've targeted in the past - but didn't. That is why we are in this mess, through poor drafting. We practically skipped 4 drafts.

Adelaide know the importance of skipping even a single draft, we practically skipped 3-4.

We need help, we simply do not have the talent.

You're right, we definitely messed up the last heap of drafts prior to roos.

And i wish we had those players.

Depends what picks we get, i would like to see some good picks used to bring in some developed players.

and as you said, we can't skip a draft, so we need to draft some youth as well.

I'm am so sick of Melbourne supporters continually talking about the draft.

It's been finally recognised the last week or so, but this is the attitude that contributed to this club's demise. This constant perception that 'oh, we'll just get some new kids, then we'll be right'.

Even if we draft the next Lance Franklin this year, we will go nowhere until we improve across our entire list.

Let's start focusing on internal change, not external change.

TU, give us a break. I like your work, but what else have we had to look forward to, in what has been the leanest period in AFL history? I don't lament MFC supporters looking towards the draft. Particularly, when our season is usually shot by Round 2. I'm not so sure 30,000 supporters would have stuck fat across 7 years of rubbish at many of the other AFL clubs. We saw what two lean years did to Essendon. We saw what three lean years did to Carlton. We're a remarkably resilient supporter base and whatever we turn to for solace is completely understandable.

Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 2

I love the way Round Robbo writes "MELBOURNE could achieve the unthinkable and claim the first three picks in this year’s national draft" and then goes on to write the AFL say it's not going to happen. Hack. Beat up merchant.

• Like 5