DEVIL OF A TIME - Match Preview and Team Selection

Demonland

Trengove is not playing well but here is a guy who had a poor year last year, gave up the captaincy and tries his heart out. I think we have to be a bit careful with his state of mind. Not kid gloves but I think he deserves some more chances to get his game back on track.

As for Blease, what exactly has he done to deserve a game? Hasn't ripped it up in any of the pre-season from what I saw.

If trying your heart out results in constantly finding yourself 5m behind your opponent, then I think the game's gone by you.

This is not a health retreat but a ruthless game. That's just how it is and Roos indicated as much in the last post game press conference in saying that if you can't do the basics, you don't make the team. I think dropping Trengove would be a good thing - a signal to others that have gotten a little comfortable with their position in the team.

Edited by nrc73
  • Like 2

Toumpas may not have been our worst, but I think he is one that has the most to gain from working on winning contested football at Casey.

I think you're right. Not the worst - to stay in the team you need to have some sort of impact when rotated forward in absence of injured KPFs and from all accounts Toumpas has really struggled as a forward. (I think!) Roos mentioned during a conference that Toumpas was never going to win against Darren Glass. Not a big endorsement.

Have to say the Eagles looked to be built like monsters compared to the Melbourne players. Clearly big differences in player physique or training standards.

Edited by nrc73

Ins look good. At least Kent can crash through or crash. Viney will give everything; and Blease will break a line.

Barry did some good inside work against Richmond. Not many skilful first year players (Rioli, Davey, JKH) can handle the heat inside. I reckon he will surprise here.

Howe should be 3rd man up in ruck contests if they start to smash us in clearances.

Byrnes' finish just means it is difficult to drop him. Agree with Minchie & Toumpas getting the chop. Bail lucky not to be on the bench of possible outs.

Agreed. And, I'm sick of the dumb "experts" prattling on how Melb will regret having taken Tyson instead of Kelly at Pick 2. They fail to realise we got Tyson AND Salem for Pick 2!

As you say, Tyson, on his own, has the potential to be a star. Add to Salem to the equation, and suddenly our Pick 2 has the potential of being very special.

I'd like to re-visit the debate in 2 or 3 years, and see if anyone would seriously still take Kelly over Tyson & Salem.

My mate who has seen a lot of the TAC cup games says that Salem will be a gem and that he would have done a Salem and Tyson for Kelly deal in a heartbeat. We will see.

Pretty happy with Tyson so far.

Chris Dawes told me on wednesday that Salem's kicking is elite.

Edited by Redleg

My mate who has seen a lot of the TAC cup games says that Salem will be a gem and that he would have done a Salem and Tyson for Kelly deal in a heartbeat. We will see.

Pretty happy with Tyson so far.

Chris Dawes told me on wednesday that Salem's kicking is elite.

I reckon CD would be a great coach - AFTER he finishes playing.

You didn't broach the sensitive subject of his calf, did you? Give him a wee tap with your foot, akin to kicking a tyre?

You didn't broach the sensitive subject of his calf, did you? Give him a wee tap with your foot, akin to kicking a tyre?

Perhaps jr we could covert his current contract to coaching in 2015.

We get a spot on the list and get his salary of the playing group.

All the commentators banging on about us regretting Kelly.. well, you can't judge it until you see Salem's debut. Dyson has well and truly proven himself already, and Roosy's plan with Salem is spot on; ease him into the VFL and give him a couple of AFL games this year to get rid of the nerves.

We need players with elite kicking and vision, which Salem has. I trust Roos knows what he's doing, and if he felt two great players (one established) was a better deal than one potentially excellent player (unestablished), I trust him.

Edited by Lamashtu

This in the guardian may be of interest:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2014/apr/03/afl-what-to-look-out-for-this-weekend

This quote probably says it all:

What’s also ridiculous is the thought that Melbourne’s struggling playing list can achieve very much at all in the absence of a forward target while also adapting to the gameplan and idiosyncrasies of a new coach. There is no escaping the brutal truth that Melbourne has a bottom-three list. Vince Lombardi couldn’t motivate them to any greater heights.

All the commentators banging on about us regretting Kelly.. well, you can't judge it until you see Salem's debut. Dyson has well and truly proven himself already, and Roosy's plan with Salem is spot on; ease him into the VFL and give him a couple of AFL games this year to get rid of the nerves.

We need players with elite kicking and vision, which Salem has. I trust Roos knows what he's doing, and if he felt two great players (one established) was a better deal than one potentially excellent player (unestablished), I trust him.

I can, Tyson is worth the trade already. Salem will be the cream on top or not...Tyson is a good get.

This in the guardian may be of interest:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2014/apr/03/afl-what-to-look-out-for-this-weekend

This quote probably says it all:

What’s also ridiculous is the thought that Melbourne’s struggling playing list can achieve very much at all in the absence of a forward target while also adapting to the gameplan and idiosyncrasies of a new coach. There is no escaping the brutal truth that Melbourne has a bottom-three list. Vince Lombardi couldn’t motivate them to any greater heights.

Spot on sue.

That quote says it all.

We are now into our forth year of this non performance and the only constant is the majority of the playing list.

As above says we have the poorest list.

I thought he had...

• Like 1

It could go either way, really.

He's obviously got some things to work on and no doubt Poosy has given him specifics. He'll either do this and come back a much improved player or it'll destroy his confidence.

I'm backing him to return with a spring in his step.

• Like 1

I want to see Trenners concentrate on his attacking side, we know he can tackle and all that, we need him having 30 touches in games and being damaging with ball in hand, he has the potential to be a complete elite midfielder, he just needs to put it all together.