DEVIL OF A TIME - Match Preview and Team Selection

Demonland

I would advocate dropping Trenners but I don't think it'll happen. The bench I would go for is: Byrnes (has kicked our few goals), Kent (kicked 3 against them last year), Blease (has earned a spot IMO), Trengove (it's time for him to stand up, if he doesn't perform this round no doubt in my mind he should be dropped). Blease to be the sub, and he must be encouraged to use his speed.

Good to see a Viney back, we all know what he adds but I expect he won't be dominating for a couple of weeks, still I'm very excited to see him and Tyson combining.

EDIT: want to add that JKH gets a full game at the VFL rather than playing as the sub. Hasn't done anything wrong but I reckon it's better for his development. The other school of thought would be he's playing against kids in GWS but watching them in round one they are no longer just kids.

Trengove is not playing well but here is a guy who had a poor year last year, gave up the captaincy and tries his heart out. I think we have to be a bit careful with his state of mind. Not kid gloves but I think he deserves some more chances to get his game back on track.

As for Blease, what exactly has he done to deserve a game? Hasn't ripped it up in any of the pre-season from what I saw.

This can't be right.

Dave Misson said Garland would be playing footy this weekend.

No he didn't. In regards to Garland, Jamar and McKenzie he said:

"If they get through training tomorrow and Friday, they'll play".

(http://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/2014-04-01/dave-misson-rd-3-update …. from around 1:30)

• Like 2

The reason I'd drop Trengove instead of, say, Bail or Byrnes, is because playing as a HFF is doing Trengove more harm than good. We simply don't need him as a flanker. If he's going to be any use to us in future, it's as the high-quality on-baller we got him to be. He's more likely to get his mojo back as Casey's premier mid, than to play game after game in the seniors as a so-so flanker. At his best, he's one of those rare and valuable types who's good both inside & outside, but I agree with whoever said that he hasn't been the same player since the sling tackle.

I think the same of dropping Toumpas and to some extent Michie. They're better to get in game time as leading mids for Casey, than as flankers or bench-warmers in the seniors, which is no use to us and no use to them.

Trengove and Toumpas were both high picks as premium mids, and that's what we need them to become in the next year or two. If they're only ever going to be flankers, that's not what we need, and I'd bring them back only when they've ripped up 2 or 3 games for Casey.

I have faith in their character and quality as men and as footballers that they'll make it eventually. But Roos et al have to find the best path for them.

• Like 5

Trengove needs to reinvent himself. He has to become an inside mid. He can be a Sam Mitchell, Greg Williams or Terry Wallace if we go back into history. Big ball getters but never [censored] around with it. To make himself viable for the modern run and spread game this is the only niche that will keep him relevant.

• Like 2

Michie had a bad week but if anyone needs time to find their feet at this level it's him. Disappointing omission.

With that team I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's not another mauling. I just hope they show a bit of guts.

Damn ... I missed a scoop over the Michie omission. On giving his answer to one of the questions he was asked about the new players at the club George Stone referred to players added to the midfield from other clubs and named Vince, Tyson and Cross but left out Viv Michie. I noticed that but thought he might have left him out inadvertently but it's now clear as to why he wasn't named.

There's definitely an effort to bring in leg speed to counter the pace of the GWS midfield which swept us aside easily in the final quarter of our game last year.

Despite his tender years, Viney is a must in the team if fit if for nothing else, he always puts in 110% per cent so that the plodders and those who ran around halfheartedly last week would be put to shame to do so while this young kid's fighting for the footy at the bottom of packs.

The addition of pace is good - a change of positions to bolster the attack would also be in order because while it's understood that we have to be on our game defensively, ten goals in two weeks is a disgrace.

Michie had a bad week but if anyone needs time to find their feet at this level it's him. Disappointing omission.

With that team I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's not another mauling. I just hope they show a bit of guts.

The way I am programmed now to watching us play I'll take that at the moment

It's sad from hoping to seeing us win a flag

All I want now is to see us being competitive and going into games with a realistic chance of winning

I'm surprised to see him out, I thought he had a good nab challenge and was ok against the saints, why him?

This week is probably it for me. If it is another heartless, embarrassing joke then I'm checking out and returning when they decide they want to be an AFL team. Had enough.

Lets assume its a 35 point loss, we stuck with them for 3 quarters bit they ran away with it in the last. Usual players with high numbers for us Jones, Vince, Terlich and Viney. Move onto round 4.........! Edited by J VINEY FAN

I think roos thinking is that we need a running team against gws,

so bail has been left in, evans, blease and barry have an opportunity to play.

he wants viney in,

someone has to come out, viv had an average game last week, but is stiff.

a solid body would've been beneficial against gws.

see how we go.

Not much discussion so far about Roos' mooted positional changes: "a completely different team".

Is he really going to throw the magnets at the whiteboard to make it seem "fresh"? I know we're crap, but placing them in unfamiliar roles could make things a hell of a lot worse. A tactic to throw off Cameron perhaps?

It sounds as though Howe will be moved back. That will be..interesting. I'm not sure the lad is capable of spoiling.

I suppose we haven't got much to lose, but it is still a winnable game. Just.

In Roos we trust (due to a lack of alternatives).

I am really keen to see Viney and Tyson together, Viney will shine so much more this year than he did last year now that he has some support, i reckon he is an absolute star in the making as is Tyson

Trengove needs to reinvent himself. He has to become an inside mid. He can be a Sam Mitchell, Greg Williams or Terry Wallace if we go back into history. Big ball getters but never [censored] around with it. To make himself viable for the modern run and spread game this is the only niche that will keep him relevant.

Agree but he has to be played there, in the middle of the contest.

I am really keen to see Viney and Tyson together, Viney will shine so much more this year than he did last year now that he has some support, i reckon he is an absolute star in the making as is Tyson

Despite the rap on Kelly, I think our deal for pick 2 will prove to be a good one.

Roos has a history of dealing and it needs to continue to improve our list.

Some good drafting and trading over the next 2 seasons could really change things as other club's older better players retire.

• Like 1

Roos is trying to develop Trenners and bring back the attacking part of his game lost under Neeld . I think the dilemma is that he is best suited as an inside mid ( N jones playing that role ) or defensive mid ( Cross at the minute ).

Playing him in a more traditional foward setup would suit him as a pocket/flanker inside 50 ish.The guy can mark goal and is ok for speed over a short distance. Keep him off the wings!

I thought VIv was ok and The Toump also. Byrnes and Bail to be dropped for mine.They have had plenty of chances ( and wasted them ) and the upside isnt that great.

If J Viney is underdone start him as the sub and play JKH. Jack could have a huge impact in the third quater and wont run out of steam. we need some goal kicking power re JKH and hopefully Bleasey.

Hurts to say but it could be closer than people think with Cameron being the difference.. .

if its a blowout .

FFS.

Winning?

. Go Dees.

Why don't we play King instead of Peterson?

Has to be better. Its GWS this week and then we play Carlton who only has Warnock as a tall. Great opportunity to blood him at FF

• Like 1

Despite the rap on Kelly, I think our deal for pick 2 will prove to be a good one.

Roos has a history of dealing and it needs to continue to improve our list.

Some good drafting and trading over the next 2 seasons could really change things as other club's older better players retire.

Yeah i agree, Tyson alone i reckon is worth Kelly on what i have seen, anything Salem does is a bonus, the beauty of which is there are no expectations, he can just take his time and develop, like Toumpas should also be doing

• Like 2