DEVIL OF A TIME - Match Preview and Team Selection

Demonland

Hope you're wrong OD but fellows of that build can be chancy.

Two knee reco's and numerous soft tissue injuries is the tally so far.

17 games in 4 seasons and hardly been dropped because of form almost always injured.

• Like 1

while trenners maybe better than some of the others on the bench he is a long way from where he should be as a footballer, dropping him is to get him to put in to be the best footballer he can. his absence gives some of the other kids a chance to see if they can step up.

was anyone else hoping to see Frawley's name in the outs?

Not me, he's been average but a) he's again had to put up with the ball coming down there too frequently with zero pressure and b) who the hell would you bring in to replace him?!

The two worst jobs in football for the last 6-7 years have been a Melbourne senior coach and a Melbourne defender.

Edited by Pates

I imagine Roos does not have enough ready to go personel to make a more definitive statement with selections. As for Trengove, I can't see how he is going to shed his sluggishness at Casey. Still gets enough of the ball but I envision the day when he will eventually be dropped and its a good chance it will be permanent.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 2

If I am honest I would have dropped Trenners over Toump personally. Viv was quiet last week and someone has to make way for Viney. At least for confidence but I don't know about speed.

dropping kids is ok - they are better slowly learning their trade in the vfl than having what little confidence they have shattered by playing AFL.

players that need to lift include grimes, frawley and id love to see Kent and Evans given a go.

McKenzie behind Barry may speak volumes of where he is at in the pecking order. I would drop Trenners unfortunately

McKenzie is injured.

• Like 1

Melbourne team: round three
B: Alex Georgiou, James Frawley, Lynden Dunn
HB: Jack Grimes, Tom McDonald, Dean Terlich
C: Daniel Cross, Bernie Vince, Jack Watts
HF: Matt Jones, Jack Fitzpatrick, Jack Viney
F: Jeremy Howe, Cam Pedersen, Rohan Bail
FOLL: Jake Spencer, Nathan Jones, Dom Tyson
I/C (from): Jay Kennedy-Harris, Dean Kent, Shannon Byrnes, Jack Trengove, Michael Evans, Sam Blease, Dom Barry
IN: Sam Blease, Jack Viney, Dean Kent, Michael Evans, Dom Barry
OUT: Viv Michie, Jimmy Toumpas
NEW: Dom Barry

My final interchange would be:

JKH, Kent, Evans (Sub in?) and Blease (Sub out?)

Outs; Michie, Toumpas, Byrnes, Trengove, Barry

Trenners probably won't be dropped but I think Evans could offer more run (speed).

That interchange would give us plenty of leg speed.

.... oh and Viney!!!!

Melbourne team: round three

B: Alex Georgiou, James Frawley, Lynden Dunn

HB: Jack Grimes, Tom McDonald, Dean Terlich

C: Daniel Cross, Bernie Vince, Jack Watts

HF: Matt Jones, Jack Fitzpatrick, Jack Viney

F: Jeremy Howe, Cam Pedersen, Rohan Bail

FOLL: Jake Spencer, Nathan Jones, Dom Tyson

I/C (from): Jay Kennedy-Harris, Dean Kent, Shannon Byrnes, Jack Trengove, Michael Evans, Sam Blease, Dom Barry

IN: Sam Blease, Jack Viney, Dean Kent, Michael Evans, Dom Barry

OUT: Viv Michie, Jimmy Toumpas

NEW: Dom Barry

The toump is dropped but Jacks back Not sure how Pederson/Bail deserve a game. Surely a few others played worse than Toump & Michie.

I checked the Casey team and while all the emergencies have been named in their line up there is NO Gawn or Garland that I could see. The development side i.e. Casey ends are not playing this week. So what has happened to Col and Max?? Notable that Riley is playing, must be off the LTI

Edited by Older demon

I checked the Casey team and while all the emergencies have been named in their line up there is NO Gawn or Garland that I could see. The development side i.e. Casey ends are not playing this week. So what has happened to Col and Max?? Notable that Riley is playing, must be off the LTI

Did I read it right that trengove named in the centre in the reserves?

Casey side

B: Jetta Davis Nicholson

HB: Kent Panozza Hunt

C: Evans Trengove Blease

HF: Best Smith Riley

F: Kennedy-Harris King Byrnes

FOLL: Jamar McKenzie Gent

I/C (from) Barry Clisby Ferraro Godfrey Harmes Michie Morris* Page Petropoulos Salem Shiels Tapscott Toumpas

* 23rd player

Reckon Mitchie is a bit stiff.

Viv Michie:

contested poss. = 7

uncontested poss. = 4

disposals = 10 @ 90% (9 useful disposals)

clangers = 0

1%ers = 1

tackles = 2

marks = 2

time on ground = 70%

Jimmy Toumpas:

contested poss. = 4

uncontested poss. = 14

disposals = 18 @ 66.7% (12 useful disposals)

clangers = 1

1%ers = 0

tackles = 4

marks = 7

time on ground = 80%

Jack Trengove:

contested poss. = 8

uncontested poss. = 11

disposals = 20 @ 55% (11 useful disposals)

clangers = 2

1%ers = 0

tackles = 2

marks = 4

time on ground = 96%

Matt Jones:

contested poss. = 6

uncontested poss. = 16

disposals = 21 @ 71.4% (15 useful disposals)

clangers = 4

1%ers = 1

tackles = 3

marks = 4

frees against = 2

time on ground = 75%

also consider that Mitchie and Toumpas played forward.

it had seemed clear that Roos was going to cut players on account of their "basic skill errors". Mitchie was 1 of only 3 players not to register a clanger. considering how much we were hurt by turnovers, i would have thought that those 3 were the only safe ones.

All I can assume is this was a scare tactic by Roos and he still wants to see how the players perform against a team ranked lower than West Coast. We'll have a better idea of where we're at. Remember the Saints beat both us and the Giants. Better match up.

I think we'll start seeing big changes around round 5 when players start coming off injuries and Roos actually can make big statements to players without weakening the team.

This can't be right.

Dave Misson said Garland would be playing footy this weekend.

Surely Misson wouldn't be telling porkies ??!!