We should seriously draft this boy

nutbean

I have stated elsewhere that recruiters are damned when they follow conventional wisdom and pick a player in the draft position they were rated ( Scully Trengove) and they turn out to be a bust and likewise damned if they pick a smokie ( Cook) who also fails.

Here is a report from someone who works in the recruiting department at Collingwood.

We should seriously draft this boy !!!!!

Now here is one exciting prospect. This boy will be a star at AFL level. The youngster was outstanding last year for Bendigo, Victoria Country and Bendigo Secondary College.

He is basically a barrel-chested midfielder who can do everything, but just as impressive is he ability to go forward, be the go-to man and dominate. He could play anywhere from centre to a flank to forward pocket at AFL level no worries at all.

It was well known that he carried osteitis pubis for a lot of the year, and this meant he spent perhaps more time up forward than he would have liked. Despite this, he still had the ability to win games on his own. He is one of those players who will see a game isn't going the way he likes and will just take it by the scruff of the neck and drag his way.

His kicking is excellent. Can kick a long way, and is very accurate with the weighting of his passes. Not afraid to use his left, which is adequate. Tends to prefer to dispose by foot than hand, and if I did have a query it is his handballing, can miss targets.

His marking ability for his size is simply incredible. He had the highest vertical leap of ANY player at draft camp. The guy is capable of winning the car one year, that's how good a grab he is. Is also unbelievably strong in the hips - he loves to work one-on-one with someone in a marking contest, keeps his feet really well.

Does all the team things and is hard at the footy - 111 tackles including 13 in a game give you some idea of his work ethic. He is super competitive and even when he is struggling with injury still gives his all. He is usually poised and calm in traffic as well. The list of achievements as long as your arm gives you some idea how good he was last year.

I saw him play a full game in the midfield early in the year and he was awesome. I think once he gets over his OP he will be a superb player. Definite top 5 selection for mine.

• Like 1

Sylvia

'He had the highest vertical leap of ANY player at draft camp.'???

Sylvia couldn't jump over a can of beans.

Fun game. We're assuming it's a trick question and the player was/is a dud (or perhaps just not top 5).

I'm guessing i don't have a clue

Sylvia it is - circa 2003 written by Dominic Milesi who is now an assistant recruiting officer at Collingwood.

If you want to have more fun - go back and read about our failed picks and see what the "experts" say about them. (I will say that Cook sounded iffy prior to the draft)

Anybody and I mean anybody that says we should not have taken Scully as our first pick after reading every assessment of him is in lala land.

• Like 6

Sylvia it is - circa 2003 written by Dominic Milesi who is now an assistant recruiting officer at Collingwood.

If you want to have more fun - go back and read about our failed picks and see what the "experts" say about them. (I will say that Cook sounded iffy prior to the draft)

Anybody and I mean anybody that says we should not have taken Scully as our first pick after reading every assessment of him is in lala land.

Then I reckon the guy who wrote this and the recruiters at our club that selected him only looked at the surface (stats) and didn't really watch him play, yes they saw what he did, went to the games but didn't really look past the obvious. The first time I watched him play at Sandy I reckon he a major deficiency in his game that a skilled recruiter would have picked up.

Edited by rjay

I refused to believe that Cook was a serious chance for our first pick prior to the draft, despite rumours.

After he was selected I talked myself around to believing he'd be ok, and he did have impressive qualities that I'd missed.

I was kidding myself.

• Like 2

Then I reckon the guy who wrote this and the recruiters at our club that selected him only looked at the surface (stats) and didn't really watch him play, yes they saw what he did, went to the games but didn't really look past the obvious. The first time I watched him play at Sandy I reckon he a major deficiency in his game that a skilled recruiter would have picked up.

Then you should have a job as a recruiter and you would be a gun at it because Sylvia was not a smoky at pick 3 - the experts had him rated that highly.

The point I am trying to illustrate is that I am more than happy to slam the recruiting of Cook at number 8. Read back on most of the "expert watchers" said and you will see stuff written like - a little slow for someone his size, inconsistant hands in marking, doesn't get full hands extension. I looked up the stuff on him at the time of drafting and thought that the MFC must know something that the so called "Experts" don't. Apparently we didnt !

I refer to my other post - we have had way too many failures of highly touted picks for me to believe it is purely our recruiting - it's what happens to them the minute they get into the MFC system.

• Like 2

Right... What was that major deficiency again?

Hindsight is a beautiful thing!

Lots of bemoaning about our draft picks is hindsight without reference to the muckhole they were recruited into.

Cook is not hindsight - there is enough stuff on him predraft to make the assessment that there were way better picks at no 8

I am sure I read a quote from Col's U/18's Pioneers coach that went a little something like;

"Colin is the most competitive beast I have ever seen" ...AAahhhhh....

I agree with Nutbean, something is seriously wrong once all of these boys enter the club and there is a pattern that is too disturbing to ignore.

I refused to believe that Cook was a serious chance for our first pick prior to the draft, despite rumours.

After he was selected I talked myself around to believing he'd be ok, and he did have impressive qualities that I'd missed.

I was kidding myself.

Nah, Cook was rated between 20-30.

A few sides probably floated they'd take him earlier, knowing Melbourne would be silly enough to.

Basically just moved them up a spot in the draft, a lot of games are played around draft time, I wouldn't read into what is written by other clubs.

The truth is though, Gysberts, Cook and Strauss were all head scratching selections at the time.

They were terrible selections back then - and they are terrible selections now.

• Like 2

But thank God, that the AFL initially screwed us, by giving him to GWS and then very handsomly compensated us.

Edited by Redleg

Given that Barlow, Fyfe and Dawson are out this week, Lyon will have to juggle the team to play Hawthorn. Wonder if Sylvia will get a game? Big test for him if he does.

We may as well get our mail from Emma Quayle .

We have been suckered in by opposition black ops .

Opposition clubs have destroyed us with their recommendations .

Stone can change this I hope.

Nah, Cook was rated between 20-30.

A few sides probably floated they'd take him earlier, knowing Melbourne would be silly enough to.

Basically just moved them up a spot in the draft, a lot of games are played around draft time, I wouldn't read into what is written by other clubs.

I continue to believe BP hitched his star to getting one of Gorringe, Tom Lynch or Prestia, and when we were left with none to choose from, he was lost and went for the CHF because he was a need.

I think at the end of the day BP was convinced one would slip through, and was bitterly disappointed.

Essendon was coy in the lead up and couldn't call Heppell's name quick enough.

Sure, but like many other high draft picks we've had that have turned out to be 'spuds', it'd be very interesting to see how they developed at other clubs.

Watts and Nic Nat for instance.

There would be a big difference in the way they both play today...