• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Paul Roos on AFL360

Sometimes hard to apply intensity when you are unsure where to focus it.

And I don't think Roos would be living up to the "clean slate" mantra, if he was to take into account the last 6 years.

Which he shouldn't.

He could start by focusing on the footy and who ever is holding it.

It's just pathetic when he applies token pressure on a bloke who easily handballs it to another player and then watts just stands there watching him run off rather then chase the next contest and at least put some pressure on.

We keep hearing about his elite foot speed but would it kill him to use it and chase someone down?

• Like 1

Then I'd say it's more a result of poor methods of dealing with a lack of confidence or whatever's killing his mellow. When I'm lacking confidence in hitting targets, I go harder on the one percenters cause that's how I know I can still play a role and it builds your confidence as well. Jogging around and not putting in enough effort to raise his arms is a ridiculous method of dealing with it and would show a simple lack of maturity.

This is exactly the thing though. Everyone responds differently. That's why successful coaches are malleable and have an ability to adapt and identify the different modes of communication that will effect change with each individual player. It's about having a highly developed emotional intelligence on the part of the coach and employing smart strategising. I've also simplified it there, but it's far more complex than just one attitude towards a sport.

Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 2

Then I'd say it's more a result of poor methods of dealing with a lack of confidence or whatever's killing his mellow. When I'm lacking confidence in hitting targets, I go harder on the one percenters cause that's how I know I can still play a role and it builds your confidence as well. Jogging around and not putting in enough effort to raise his arms is a ridiculous method of dealing with it and would show a simple lack of maturity.

I think that's fair.

And while he may be a sensible, intelligent, well-spoken young man, I do think Watts does lack maturity, especially in a football sense.

He is only 23 after all.

• Like 1

This is exactly the thing though. Everyone responds differently. That's why coaches have to be malleable and have an ability to adapt and identify the communication that will effect change with each player. That's about having a highly developed emotional intelligence on the part of the coach and smart strategising. I've also simplified it there, but it's far more complex that just one attitude towards a sport.

Yeah man, can't disagree with that. Very happy to have Roos in there to help him develop.

• Like 1

Remind me what he did to get droppped?

A lot less than [censored] Watts

I agree, he is as soft as butter. He will never be a good player until he willingly puts his body on the line week in week out.

All the skill in the world is useless unless you can fight and win your own footy and not just [censored] foot around the packs.

Prove me wrong Jack, prove me wrong

• Like 1

I think that's fair.

And while he may be a sensible, intelligent, well-spoken young man, I do think Watts does lack maturity, especially in a football sense.

He is only 23 after all.

Watts has great football skills. Maybe his game lacks maturity, there are simple things Watts doesn't do.

Jack Watts must be wishing he didn't test so well over the 20m during draft camp.

When a guy runs the 20m in 2.73 (I think it was), it is a little wonder fans are so frustrated by Watts lack of intensity.

Jack Watts needs to find that motivation, what motivates him? What makes him tick? Does he really want to be an AFL footballer?

And how bad does he want it? I think these are very simple questions Watts needs to ask himself.

While the players all need to buy into Paul Roos, I think Jack Watts actually needs to buy into AFL football.

Port Adelaide as a club, they have the 'Mayweather mindset' going, Nath Jones has it and Jack Watts desperately needs it.

If I was Jimmy Toumpas I would be absolutely livid if jack Watts isn't dropped this week.

I'll back Paul Roos and the match committee on this.

In the meantime, keep flogging the anti Watts line - it's not as though it's been done to death.

Please enlighten me though - given that you think Watts should be dropped, please explain to me each of Watts' roles on the weekend and where and why he failed in each role?

Cop a tip - simply saying he lacked intensity is convenient, but ultimately not especially illuminating.

• Like 3

Here we go again, the weekly "Watts apologists" posts. He's been worse than shocking the last two weeks and any effort to say otherwise just shows people either have short memories or they didn't watch the games. He doesn't need to be banished for all time but he does need a decent run at Casey (at least 4-6 weeks) until the "non-negotiables" are ingrained into him. You can't get away with a complete & utter lack of intensity and attack on the contest in senior footy.

Of course Roos is going to come out and bat for him/make excuses he's not a [censored] like Neeld who publicly pots his players. Just because he says one thing publicly do you really think he doesn't see what we all see and have different thoughts privately?

• Like 1

Of course Roos is going to come out and bat for him/make excuses he's not a [censored] like Neeld who publicly pots his players. Just because he says one thing publicly do you really think he doesn't see what we all see and have different thoughts privately?

Of course he sees what we see. But it is just possible that Roos, close to the player, a top-notch coach and not a mere spectator/keyboard warrior, see something more.

So I'll rely on his judgement. When Roos throws in the towel on him so will I.

• Like 5

When a guy runs the 20m in 2.73 (I think it was), it is a little wonder fans are so frustrated by Watts lack of intensity.

The one off 20m sprint time means nothing in todays football, it is all about your cruising speed, what speed you can maintain for long periods and extended runs. You aren't running 20m anymore to get the football it sometimes could be a 100m lead heading back to goals. To me Jack is slow, he can't maintain a good top speed for long enough. He can do the Km's but not at a high speed. Look at Lewis Jetta and even our JKH they can maintain their speed for long surging runs, Watts just can't.

• Like 1

I found it interesting last night when Paul said he has had some of the players in his office and he was just about to give them a spray but he opened the conversation up with (something along the lines of) whats going on in your life, is everything ok? To then find out that all was not well and both he and bomber said there is often more going on than just a lack of confidence or simply the player being out of form. He also said we (as coaches) have 45 men on our list therefore leading to many differing personal problems that arise and can surface at the most awkward of times.

• Like 4

Watts has great football skills. Maybe his game lacks maturity, there are simple things Watts doesn't do.

Jack Watts must be wishing he didn't test so well over the 20m during draft camp.

Jack Watts needs to find that motivation, what motivates him? What makes him tick? Does he really want to be an AFL footballer?

And how bad does he want it? I think these are very simple questions Watts needs to ask himself.

While the players all need to buy into Paul Roos, I think Jack Watts actually needs to buy into AFL football.

Port Adelaide as a club, they have the 'Mayweather mindset' going, Nath Jones has it and Jack Watts desperately needs it.

I don't think it's so much "buying in" to AFL football, or Roos.

I think he lacks maturity and doesn't quite understand the scope of "buying in" at this stage.

It will come. With time. It's a question of whether we want to wait that long.

But do you really want him to be asked and answer your questions?

What if you don't like the answer?

Maybe he doesn't even know yet what truly motivates him or makes him tick?

He is only 23.

How bad does he want it? Does that even matter?

I think these are intrinsically the wrong questions.

They may be the right ones for someone who has never played AFL before or been drafted.

But I think they are subjective and don't tap into his mindset.

Roos needs to find the way to toughen Watts up.

To give him a hunger to compete, a hunger for the contest, beyond just a hunger to play.

And I believe it will happen at some stage, if Roos perseveres.

• Like 1

People defending Jordie and Jack normally wait until Wednesday for the heat to cool off.

• Like 3

I don't think it's so much "buying in" to AFL football, or Roos.

I think he lacks maturity and doesn't quite understand the scope of "buying in" at this stage.

It will come. With time. It's a question of whether we want to wait that long.

But do you really want him to be asked and answer your questions?

What if you don't like the answer?

Maybe he doesn't even know yet what truly motivates him or makes him tick?

He is only 23.

How bad does he want it? Does that even matter?

I think these are intrinsically the wrong questions.

They may be the right ones for someone who has never played AFL before or been drafted.

But I think they are subjective and don't tap into his mindset.

Roos needs to find the way to toughen Watts up.

To give him a hunger to compete, a hunger for the contest, beyond just a hunger to play.

And I believe it will happen at some stage, if Roos perseveres.

Number 1 draft pick, 23 years of age, 5 years in the system. It is either Jack or once again, our recruiters got it terribly wrong, but 5 years is enough time to decide if you want to "buy in" or not.

• Like 1

Number 1 draft pick, 23 years of age, 5 years in the system. It is either Jack or once again, our recruiters got it terribly wrong, but 5 years is enough time to decide if you want to "buy in" or not.

Is it?

I don't think it's enough time for some people to mature.

And every time I look at Watts I see a guy who hasn't matured yet.

I don't think it's a conscious decision like most want to present it for their own convenience.

Or maybe they just don't want to understand.

I am struggling to find something to disagree with in that iv'a.

I think that there are a lot of hypotheses about our under performers but we need to deal with facts.

On face value there are a couple of passengers worthy of being baked by their coach and teammates and these players are worthy of an extended run at Casey at the least.

It's up to Roosy to decide whether these things are actions that are going to advance the MFC. IE build the team ethos and develop these players.

Edited by jabberwocky
  • Like 1

Of course he sees what we see. But it is just possible that Roos, close to the player, a top-notch coach and not a mere spectator/keyboard warrior, see something more.

So I'll rely on his judgement. When Roos throws in the towel on him so will I.

Keyboard warrior, what an overused cliche - tell me where in my post did I say anything to personally attack Watts? I analysed his performance for the team and the reasons I think he should be dropped to Casey but clearly some are still protected species around MFC.

Your last paragraph basically indicates you can't/won't form an opinion for yourself so there's no point expressing it.

Exactly iva - even if we do say he needs more time why can't he spend that time at Casey trying to figure out how to play? Why does he get a free pass in the 1's every week based on a reputation formed in high school? We've given players "time" before and before we know it they've been playing seniors for 10 years and never amounted to anything. I want Watts to make it but playing seniors isn't doing anything to help him get there he needs to work hard at Casey instilling the fundamentals in his game before coming back to apply it in the seniors.

Is it?

I don't think it's enough time for some people to mature.

And every time I look at Watts I see a guy who hasn't matured yet.

I don't think it's a conscious decision like most want to present it for their own convenience.

Or maybe they just don't want to understand.

What condescending drivel. Yeah because he can't/won't meet the expectations placed on every other player in the AFL it is the supporters fault for failing to understand that he hasn't matured yet. Let's just put the whole club on hold waiting for Jack to mature so he can pull his finger out - give me a spell.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 1

I remember way back in 1998 when Guy Rigoni was picked up by the club, he was referred to as a 'mature age' recruit. He was 24. I don't buy this Jack is a young kid argument. In fact, I view this in an entirely different light.

To be honest, we need to look at him and a lot of the class of 2008-2010 as an opportunity lost and move on. A lot of those blokes will never be the players we need them to be and that includes Grimes, Jordie, Bail (though he is starting to improve but the verdict will come at the end of the year), Strauss, Blease, Tapscott and Spencer. I was going to include Trenners in there too but we don't know what kind of effect his foot injury has been having or how long it has been effecting him. It matters not if the above mentioned players are lazy, overrated, a victim of bad development or have been afflicted by an ancient voodoo curse. Facts are that they are unlikely to work out.

A lot of these blokes have been on the list for five years. If an average lifespan for a good AFL player is ten years, these blokes have spent half their careers not reaching their potential. A lot of them have plateaued. As was said earlier, too many blokes at our clubs have hung around without reaching the peak of their performance and before you know it, ten years have passed. Colin Sylvia and, to a lesser extent, Travis Johnstone come to mind (Trav could have been better but he was more than a handy footballer).

It's time to get serious. Keep experience worth keeping but that draft crop, sadly, won't be taking us where we need to be.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert