Successor

Ted Lasso

Who knows really? Could be anyone.... Ling would be a seemingly good choice... Tom Harley was a strong figure in turning Geelong into a power house... Brad Miller wasn't the strongest player, but as a coach, he could be made of the right stuff... Cameron Bruce might be a handy coach as well...

Ling the only decent suggestion there, but still n guarantee he'd be a good coach

Ling the only decent suggestion there, but still n guarantee he'd be a good coach

Doesn't fit with Roos' view about the need to develop senior coaches. Where is Ling's development?

I was thinking from the moment they kept him on that Jade was the man they were looking at. I suspect that he'll be under consideration and basically is being assessed during the year as to whether he is the man for the job or not. The fact that they kept him on when they sacked the rest of the coaches is a pretty good endorsement.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Rawlings was the only assistant still under contract. Though I still think that if we are going to promote from within he is the front runner at this point.

I honestly can't see any established coaches like Thompson, Clarkson or Lyon taking the job. The AFL community is aware that it's an apprenticeship under Roos' tutelage and I just don't see any of those guys sitting through that - Lyon has already been there and done that.

I would be very nervous if we plucked Gia or any other player straight out of the game for the job, especially one that's never tasted the ultimate success.

Ratten would not be the worst option, I never rated Carlton's list but he still somehow managed to get them reasonably high up the ladder (much further than where Malthouse could get them anyway). Maybe a couple of years under Roos would give him the skills and knowledge he needs to go all the way.

• Like 2

No thanks to Ratten.

Has never demonstrated that he possesses the communication skills required to be a good senior coach.

Done good with a crappy carlton list

• Like 1

No thanks to Ratten.

Has never demonstrated that he possesses the communication skills required to be a good senior coach.

...and that's the problem. He had that issue at Carlton and tried to address it. My belief is that you either have the ability to really relate to players or you don't and it can't be trained. Buckley has this problem at the moment.

I think Ratten and Voss are a chance.

Ling a smokie due to lack of experience.

I think Voss prefers the media. He knocked back a few assistant gigs at the end of last year and is now committed to some awful sounding reality TV show for 12 months. I don't think he'll coach again.

...and that's the problem. He had that issue at Carlton and tried to address it. My belief is that you either have the ability to really relate to players or you don't and it can't be trained. Buckley has this problem at the moment.

Funnily enough, it seems Malthouse also has this problem.

I think Voss prefers the media. He knocked back a few assistant gigs at the end of last year and is now committed to some awful sounding reality TV show for 12 months. I don't think he'll coach again.

Funnily enough, it seems Malthouse also has this problem.

No, Malthouses problem seems more with the media and fans. He has traditionally had a good relationship with his players, seems to see everyone else as the enemy and views them with suspicion (maybe paranoia).

• Like 1

No, Malthouses problem seems more with the media and fans. He has traditionally had a good relationship with his players, seems to see everyone else as the enemy and views them with suspicion (maybe paranoia).

I'm going off old speculation but I remember hearing about the Carlton players not buying into his style last year. It's true that the players under him at the Pies loved him (see: Dale Thomas) but these days I just feel like the guy only knows how to make enemies.

Eddie Betts obviously wasn't too keen on Malthouse, nor was Duigan.

Not sure Gibbs is either.

I can't stand what Gibbs has said, he wants to see a premiership blueprint, he is a big part of what they plan to build a premiership around but he is a long way off an elite player imo, he should wait til he gets to that level before he tries putting talks on hold, i doubt Carlton will be too fussed if he leaves tbh

I can't stand what Gibbs has said, he wants to see a premiership blueprint, he is a big part of what they plan to build a premiership around but he is a long way off an elite player imo, he should wait til he gets to that level before he tries putting talks on hold, i doubt Carlton will be too fussed if he leaves tbh

Bloody good point, these are the new buzz phrases "premiership blueprint" "the direction of the club". I think it was Return to Glory that said last night with regards to Chip, before you start shopping yourself around, start performing. I'm all for clubs being able to trade players without their consent. Might teach them a few things. Edited by Al's Demons

Bloody good point, these are the new buzz phrases "premiership blueprint" "the direction of the club". I think it was Return to Glory that said last night with regards to Chip, before you start shopping yourself around, start performing. I'm all for clubs being able to trade players without their consent. My teach them a few things.

Exactly! carlton used pick 1 on Gibbs, that's a massive investment and he has not delivered, he doesn't even show glimpses of being a game breaker, i'd be genuinely upset if we chased him because he is soft as [censored].

give me Daniel Cross over Byrce Gibbs anyday.

He's a bit of a cheap kick merchant, they also have problems with Kruzer, allowing for injury's early in his career he also is yet to deliver on his no.1 tag.

And yet doesn't get anywhere near the criticism that Watts gets.

It's a load of bollocks I say but typical.

• Like 1