St. Kilda v Melbourne - Match Preview & Team Selection

Demonland

Not a bad team save for two possibly three inclusions.

How Shannon Bynes gets a game with his modest stats and pre season form staggers me!

Toumpas must consider himself extremely lucky to have got a gig, and Pederson gets a gig only by virtue of lack of other tall options.

I would have had Blease for Toumpas ( easily I cannot how a bloke who can kick brilliant goals in a game and has electrifying pace cannot get a gig)

Toumpas - top 5 in running all preseason. Blease - usually bottom 5. That's the extent of the reasoning required. Another preseason has come and gone and I think Blease is fitter than he ever has been but he's still probably AFL average at best. In the preseason games Toumpas has occasionally looked really puffed but if you watch him at games you'll notice he'll back at the back flank then next minute he'll be in the forward pocket leading then he'll be chasing defenders. Blease just doesn't move all that much besides his very rare brilliant burst runs.

Ideal world I think is Toumpas and JKH both play well and Blease can put the pressure on Byrnes and Bail.

You need to get the ball before these are really effective.

I beg your pardon?

I have replaced two questionable outside types with some who can get the footy and do something with it.

Your comment "You need to get the ball before these are really effective" can be ably attributed to Toumpas and Bynes I would have thought!

To master Demon give me rare brilliant burst runs to a bloke who has to this stage shown none of that! anyday

Edited by picket fence

I beg your pardon?

I have replaced two questionable outside types with some who can get the footy and do something with it.

Your comment "You need to get the ball before these are really effective" can be ably attributed to Toumpas and Bynes I would have thought!

I was referring to Sam Blease, hense why i highlighted that section.

Just checked in with Centrebet.

A lot of money for the Saints.

It could be even money by game time. (just the messenger)

I still think saints should be favourite. We really haven't improved that much over preseason personnel wise with the injuries. Vince is a good inclusion. But Viney is out and effectively replaced by Tyson and Cross and Michie are nice additions but not massive upgrades over Rodan and Sylvia.

The saints preseason form has that huge mark on them from the GWS game but GWS have now shown they were in pretty decent early season form.

If the saints had Montagna and Steven they'd be run away favourites. They don't which evens the game up but it's still at their home ground and who knows when we last won their in a real game.

Toumpas must consider himself extremely lucky to have got a gig, and Pederson gets a gig only by virtue of lack of other tall options.

I would have had Blease for Toumpas ( easily I cannot how a bloke who can kick brilliant goals in a game and has electrifying pace cannot get a gig)

Pity I'm not a selector as I reckon this team beats the actual team hands down.

"Pity you're not a selector" - i'm assuming that was a typo and you meant I'm glad i'm not a selector or you were trying to be ironic. I mean you can't be serious about Toumpas being lucky to be selected. He has, according to his captain been close to the best trainer in the pre season, has not missed a session, has worked his guts out, has the the respect of his coach and teammates (but not a few DL posters strangely) is a mid fielder in a team crying out for good mids and as i posted yesterday according to Grimes was a total lock for round one selection.

Yet rather than selecting him you would pick a player who can't/won't gut run, has hardly set the world on fire in training according to most reports, is a one way player who can only play in one or two positions (and can't play as a mid). No, i'm sure you must have been joking. If not i'm glad Roos and his selection committee have got the gig.

I was referring to Sam Blease, hense why i highlighted that section.

I would have Blease in the side rather than Toumpas at this stage.

I beg your pardon?

To master Demon give me rare brilliant burst runs to a bloke who has to this stage shown none of that! anyday

I agree, don't understand why Blease doesn't get a gig.

FCS 2012 r20 vs the Saints he had 20 touches and 5 goals, which is a better day out than about 90% of our list has ever had

I beg your pardon?

Blease's rare runs are worth the goal (or often point) that results from them. Toumpas in the Rich and Geel game did nice kicks inside 50 to turn bad scoring options in to good set shots. That's worth much the same as a Blease run. It's more the negatives of how many times you look up across half back and see a man on streaming to the flank in Toumpas compared to Blease not in the right spot. That enhancement or disruption of ball movement is the key to us beating the saints without decent tall forwards.

"Pity you're not a selector" - i'm assuming that was a typo and you meant I'm glad i'm not a selector or you were trying to be ironic. I mean you can't be serious about Toumpas being lucky to be selected. He has, according to his captain been close to the best trainer in the pre season, has not missed a session, has worked his guts out, has the the respect of his coach and teammates (but not a few DL posters strangely) is a mid fielder in a team crying out for good mids and as i posted yesterday according to Grimes was a total lock for round one selection.

Yet rather than selecting him you would pick a player who can't/won't gut run, has hardly set the world on fire in training according to most reports, is a one way player who can only play in one or two positions (and can't play as a mid). No, i'm sure you must have been joking. If not i'm glad Roos and his selection committee have got the gig.

I can count hundreds of footballers both played with and watched who were "The best trainers in pre season" "Have not missed a session" "Worked his guts out" Etc Yadda yadda and guess what, when the real stuff starts they can't get the footy!! On the other side I have seen the worst trainers in footy teams" Tear it up in games" Your comment displays a very simplistic view of theory to practice.

Trying not to get too ahead of myself, cause I'm so excited for the footy to start!
I saw pedo in the pre season, he has trimmed up, looks a lot fitter.

Saturday night he has the opportunity to stand up and try claim a position.

I Think he knows this year is the year he has to turn it up, or its over - despite a contract, if he reproduced last seasons efforts, we pay him out.

I think he might do alright.

jacky watts is the other for mine.

what is it, 6th season?

In the midfield he is not going to get a heavy tag. not with cross, jones, vince, michie.

He has a good opportunity to have a ripper.

This is also a good opportunity for byrnes to get some decent delivery and show us that he has anything left to offer.

• Like 1

FCS 2012 r20 vs the Saints he had 20 touches and 5 goals, which is a better day out than about 90% of our list has ever had

Probably because late 2012 was his purple patch of form that came off the back of solid match fitness. He was good that day as well but the 5 goals was a bit of right place right time, There wasn't a heap of spectacular crumbing or marking involved.

The way I see it is Blease is competing for 3 spots with Bail, Byrnes and JKH in them at the moment (with one being the sub). Unless he proves he can be part of the midfield rotation there will only be those 2-3 spots available. JKH has shown me at training he has much cleaner skills and smarter brain than Blease. Bail has had decent preseason form and has elite endurance and good hands overhead. With Pederson at CHF we need some smalls who can present up and draw the ball as well. That leaves Byrnes v Blease. If JKH is the sub then you want the guy starting to be capable of 4 quarters of effort. Byrnes might just be the safer option. As I said before if JKH plays well and can be a starting 21 quality player then Blease can make a good sub or with some VFL form and match fitness he can push for the starting 21.

I want a fit, in form and dangerous Blease in the team. I didn't see that in preseason, I saw much the same slow of mind, unable to find the footy, running in to trouble Blease. If he can get strong VFL form before returning to AFL he might get back in that late 2012 form.

I can count hundreds of footballers both played with and watched who were "The best trainers in pre season" "Have not missed a session" "Worked his guts out" Etc Yadda yadda and guess what, when the real stuff starts they can't get the footy!! On the other side I have seen the worst trainers in footy teams" Tear it up in games" Your comment displays a very simplistic view of theory to practice.

Sam Blease career average disposals is 11..

he has been around a few years and never really managed to cement a spot

Toumpas has had a fantastic pre season, looks hungry and determined to do what Blease hasn't managed to do.

• Like 1

Sam Blease career average disposals is 11..

he has been around a few years and never really managed to cement a spot

Toumpas has had a fantastic pre season, looks hungry and determined to do what Blease hasn't managed to do.

Ok Let's hope he can cut the mustard tomorrow then Eh?

Really? I guess then you view Paul Roos, Jack Grimes and the selection committee has having a a very simplistic view of theory to practice? Again i remind you that earlier this week Grimes said the Toump was an absolute certainty to be selected.

This is the first opportunity for Roos to send a message to his players about what it takes to be selected in his side. He has made it abundantly clear that only those players ready for AFL will get a game. And he then selects The Toump (and not Blease). What exactly do you think he is saying with that choice?

By the by Blease has always been a poor trainer. Unfortunately for him (well us really) he is also a perfect example of a player who can't get the footy. And to top it off he has only 'teared it up"once.

Edited by binman
  • Like 1

BnF 2013

1. N. Jones

2. C. Garland3. D. Terlich

4. M. Jones

Why the hate?

Too right.....for all those Terlich and Matt jones haters, theres about 30 players on our list who were worse last year.

• Like 1

I still think saints should be favourite. We really haven't improved that much over preseason personnel wise with the injuries. Vince is a good inclusion. But Viney is out and effectively replaced by Tyson and Cross and Michie are nice additions but not massive upgrades over Rodan and Sylvia.

The saints preseason form has that huge mark on them from the GWS game but GWS have now shown they were in pretty decent early season form.

If the saints had Montagna and Steven they'd be run away favourites. They don't which evens the game up but it's still at their home ground and who knows when we last won their in a real game.

Can't agree, even if Joey and Stevens were playing. We have recruited well, we've played well in the first two games. Richmond are overrated but Geelong are seasoned. We found new avenues to the big sticks. We've showed real fight for the first time since Neitz was crashing the packs.

giphy.gif

Toumpas was one of our best pre season performers, backed up in interviews by Roos and Grimes.

Blease was not.

• Like 1

Possibly because he hasn't done anything since and that performance was a bit of a specialty for him. If we based selections on a good game someone had in 2012, the team would be quite different.

• Like 1

Possibly because he hasn't done anything since and that performance was a bit of a specialty for him. If we based selections on a good game someone had in 2012, the team would be quite different.

True. But footy fans have good memories and there will be some relieved Saints fans seeing Blease unnamed. I'd have preferred to see him ahead of Byrnes or Matt Jones.

I will leave this go but I can see advantages in having two on the front and two on the back.

Promise mods - last comment.

i think biffo's preference for four is more to do with being off his face and seeing double

beats me how he remembers the next day though

Reading the match preview - although we clearly have injured ruckmen, Spencer is the standout for me.

He can really develop with consitant senior football.

Works hard, seems to have a good tank and has suprisingly good pace.

how Jamar ever got a 3 year deal is beyond me - he also refuses to jump these days.