Season Opener Dinner

Dee Fan

Mitch is taking a break from the club.....a friend who was there asked one of the players where he was and revieved a forlorn reply that he had done a calf,and now needs a break fromthe club and footy.

If he is doing all these injuries with basically zero stress load, how the hell is he ever going to play footy again.

unfortunately dont think he will.

If theres a payout clause its time to do such, thank Mitch and move on.

• Like 1

unfortunately dont think he will.

What would be the point in that? He's out of contract end of this year isn't he? Why would you just kick out a guy who has such an unpredictable injury before the season has even started?! Ridiculous.

• Like 1

Well Stuie ..then thats the effective pay out.

Hes paid to play. Isnt he ?

I have Mitch down, as contracted till end of 2015.

I think Mitch is a player of fine character and suspect availability. I would like to think that after a short break and a good think that should he realise he is unlikely to offer much in the way of his full 100 % then he ought to retire from this level of the game at least as a player. He might serve usefully in another capacity off list.

Take all the sporting romance and dreaming out of this and adjudicate as per its reality.

What it is is a dead set shame and no doubt a frustrating persistent bind with little positive forecast.

I would like to think that after a short break and a good think that should he realise he is unlikely to offer much in the way of his full 100 % then he ought to retire from this level of the game at least as a player.

So that must mean you know everything about his injury and the future prognosis for it? Guess you would of told Richo to retire too...

Edited by stuie

Hes good value eh Stuie

How could I be so blind

• Like 1

His foot must have exploded inside that boot back in 2012 poor bugger.

I don't think that is the case - I think his soft tissues are reacting poorly to him running again. The mention of him doing his calf above, prior to that it was his hamstring.

His body will settle - it's just a matter of how quickly.

• Like 1

Glad to hear that you are on Mitch's medical team and can share your detailed knowledge of his condition with us.

How about just seeing what happens rather than making these 'calls'.

• Like 2

Just listened to Paul Roos talk at the season launch. Like many others I am waiting for actions more than words, but Roos' speech reminds me that words can be powerful and motivating. Roos acknowledged all the key people at the club - from board members to families to staff - and the work they do, but he made it plain that most responsibility/accountability rests with the players, with special emphasis on the leadership group.

His confidence is a major factor in our performance this year. Why? Because it is infectious.

Also, he "thanked" Hawthorn for giving us a hiding at Casey, because it is clear the standard we are pursuing, and the Hawks did it with class and physicality.

Yep lets continue the 1/2 m pa experiment at any cost.

Id love the fit Mitch back on the park. Who wouldnt.

But simply observing the recurring trend that shows a fluctuating at best and failing at worst path back to any such ideal suggests to this observer its highly ublikely to actually happen; especially in sucb a manner as to allow him unfettered abilty to play af his level best.

I dont wish him ill; quite the contrary I simply refuse to acknowledge what is happening is a precursor to a full recovery.

Would any think now that he isnt receicing the best xare and attention, that the advice given isnt the sort that would advocate a slow and steady course? Yet every time currently he nears the park he breaks down..again and again.

There has to to be a degree of reality, more than a smattering of pragmatism if for no other reason than continual failure (physically) can only lead to a more permanent and debilitating condition.

I honestly wish him well and a full recovery. My doubts increase with every false start.

Well ifhe doesn't recover he's got 3 million in his bank account,so it's not the end of the world for him the sooner the 4 years up the better for all concerned.

Yep lets continue the 1/2 m pa experiment at any cost.

Id love the fit Mitch back on the park. Who wouldnt.

But simply observing the recurring trend that shows a fluctuating at best and failing at worst path back to any such ideal suggests to this observer its highly ublikely to actually happen; especially in sucb a manner as to allow him unfettered abilty to play af his level best.

I dont wish him ill; quite the contrary I simply refuse to acknowledge what is happening is a precursor to a full recovery.

Would any think now that he isnt receicing the best xare and attention, that the advice given isnt the sort that would advocate a slow and steady course? Yet every time currently he nears the park he breaks down..again and again.

There has to to be a degree of reality, more than a smattering of pragmatism if for no other reason than continual failure (physically) can only lead to a more permanent and debilitating condition.

I honestly wish him well and a full recovery. My doubts increase with every false start.

If we believe the club the screw coming out last year was 1 complication. A hamstring then a calf are different but 2 more.

He's contracted for next year so the decision is ultimately his unless maybe you have clear evidence he will never play again. 2 soft tissues isn't clear evidence.

Out of respect to a valued player let's wait some time before we start talking of ripping up his contract especially considering it's of no relevance until October and by then Clark's body will have given us much more information.

I think Mitch is a player of fine character and suspect availability. I would like to think that after a short break and a good think that should he realise he is unlikely to offer much in the way of his full 100 % then he ought to retire from this level of the game at least as a player. He might serve usefully in another capacity off list.

Take all the sporting romance and dreaming out of this and adjudicate as per its reality.

What it is is a dead set shame and no doubt a frustrating persistent bind with little positive forecast.

that's what I was getting at.

I think that if his playing days are finished, as some here are suggesting, then he would do as you've said.

I don't think that is the case - I think his soft tissues are reacting poorly to him running again. The mention of him doing his calf above, prior to that it was his hamstring.

His body will settle - it's just a matter of how quickly.

I hope this as you've said is true,,, & not more spin.

I still choose to believe that he'll be right, but I'm concerned.

If we believe the club the screw coming out last year was 1 complication. A hamstring then a calf are different but 2 more.

He's contracted for next year so the decision is ultimately his unless maybe you have clear evidence he will never play again. 2 soft tissues isn't clear evidence.

Out of respect to a valued player let's wait some time before we start talking of ripping up his contract especially considering it's of no relevance until October and by then Clark's body will have given us much more information.

I don't think we have the power to rip up any players contracts, unless our Payed Memberships here on Demonland, give us the Power of Veto.

but in reality, we have the right to speculate on our thoughts, & concerns.

I hope Mitch will be OK. time will tell all.