• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jack Watts ready to step up under Melbourne Demons coach Paul Roos

baysidedave

Bob Murphy's play does the talking and he's never backed out of a contest or had trouble laying tackles.

Let's just see with Watts. I'm still expecting plenty more growing pains based on his first hit out. He's not an elite runner and he's not a solid build. Ok he's tall and fast which is nice but in itself doesn't give him a huge advantage.

There's a lot of things to recruiting like character, leadership and personality. But probably the 3 biggest things for the best footballers are:

- Athletic talents

- Hunger for the contest

- Skills

I'd give Watts 5/10 athletically. He has to build his tank and add some muscle whilst keeping speed to be higher than that. I'd give his hunger for the contest about a 3/10 and his skills an 8/10.

Jack's move to the midfield is about utilising his skills and given his pace and skill an opportunity to shine. But he's still not an amazing athlete and his one preseason game showed that he was working hard to get the ball but had work to do at contests still.

Everyone expects him to go from an unreliable forward or defender to quality midfielder. It's not going to happen over night.

-

If Watts is 5/10 athletically, I'd hate to see where you'd rate the rest of our list - considering Watts is one of our better athletes.

Edited by KingDingAling
  • Like 3

I know he had to get fit, that's priority one to play in the midfield. And of course he'll be mainly an outside player. But Watts looked very thin up against the Geelong guys. Stevie J's quads are double the size of Watts'.

But he's been at the club for years now so his body can't be an excuse.

Been plenty of players who are not built like tanks, one of our best ever was as skinny as a stick figure

• Like 1

If Watts is 5/10 athletically, I'd hate to see where you'd rate the rest of our list - considering Watts is one of our better athletes.

Pace 8/10 (but we don't see it enough), Endurance 4/10 - just average for a mid, Strength 2 - 10. That's pretty much how I came to that figure.

When Jack lines up against Brad Hill or Isaac Smith this weekend he's not going to have any athletic advantage besides height on Hill.

Bob Murphy's play does the talking and he's never backed out of a contest or had trouble laying tackles.

I was responding to your criticism of Watt's thighs compared to Johnson and suddenly you're talking courage and tackles.

I agree on your new points, I don't see Watts as particularly brave and I don't see him as a tackling machine. But I don't judge a player on the size of his thighs.

I reckon you're starting to over think things a little master, a shame, I like reading your contributions.

I was responding to your criticism of Watt's thighs compared to Johnson and suddenly you're talking courage and tackles.

I agree on your new points, I don't see Watts as particularly brave and I don't see him as a tackling machine. But I don't judge a player on the size of his thighs.

I reckon you're starting to over think things a little master, a shame, I like reading your contributions.

There's a correlation between muscle mass particularly lower body and strength over the ball and in tackles. Only have to watch a few games of rugby to work that one out.

There's been some 'look at this years Jack Watts v6.0 he looks so fit and lean and is running PB time trials'. My point is it would be more impressive if he was doing it and had some muscle behind him as well. I'm simply saying he's far from a complete package as an AFL athlete not that it can be used as an excuse any more.

There's a correlation between muscle mass particularly lower body and strength over the ball and in tackles. Only have to watch a few games of rugby to work that one out.

There's been some 'look at this years Jack Watts v6.0 he looks so fit and lean and is running PB time trials'. My point is it would be more impressive if he was doing it and had some muscle behind him as well. I'm simply saying he's far from a complete package as an AFL athlete not that it can be used as an excuse any more.

Hey, you're as entitled as anybody to get a few pre-emptive kicks in on Watts before the season's even started.

At least this year it's not coming from the coach.

Hey, you're as entitled as anybody to get a few pre-emptive kicks in on Watts before the season's even started.

At least this year it's not coming from the coach.

I'm not trying to kick him I'm just not on board with the idea that he'll be an instant success in the midfield.

Things that have changed for him: A new coach with confidence, a new contract, increased endurance, better training are all great, but he's still a slim build, he's still going to have to work on his physicality, his two way running and his tackling.

If he can average around 18-20 disposals with good efficiency and have less Jack Watts moments then he should build over time. Just because Roos is designing a role that suits his skill set doesn't mean instant success. Just because he has a heap of potential doesn't mean he's fixed flaws yet.

The prevailing thought we have with players is they do a bunch of preseason training then they improve. I think more it's more realistic that players improve through a season. Take Dane Rampe from Sydney last year. Showed a little in preseason but then wasn't looking that great at the start of the year but as he settled in and the season went on he became more and more reliable. That's what I want to see from Watts. Proper patience and development.

Watts fixes his tackling and physical presence in the midfield as i feel they're his two biggest flaws as a player and i reckon it will go a long way towards him becoming a genuine A grade footballer.

Not meaning this to sound harsh but every year he's said he's ready to take the next step and has failed to do so. We all know the ability in him, it's most definitely time that he started producing on it.

First game a good solid start.

Watts fixes his tackling and physical presence in the midfield as i feel they're his two biggest flaws as a player and i reckon it will go a long way towards him becoming a genuine A grade footballer.

Its been the case all along. Ability yes, hunger for the contest ? well...

its quite a big thing to change the nature of the beast. Not everyone enjoys argy bargy.

Does anyone make a Mongrel pill ? send some to him.

I , like most want him to succeed for then we'll also as a team be better. I like most now simply wait.

crossed fingers and toes ^_^

He lacks so much physicality around the ball.

Imagine him in a cut-throat final at the G. He'll hardly get a kick.

I know he's precious to many of you, so here's hoping...

I dream of this.

Do you remember a skinny bespectacled kid called Robert Flower? He could play, if Watts could develop like he did i for one would take that any day.

130530_Flower---on-the-run.jpgDSC04100_(360x480).jpg

Edited by ManDee
  • Like 1

Not meaning this to sound harsh but every year he's said he's ready to take the next step and has failed to do so. We all know the ability in him, it's most definitely time that he started producing on it.

First game a good solid start.

I think he has taken a step each year. I'd just like each step to be bigger.

I think he has taken a step each year. I'd just like each step to be bigger.

or at least all forward !!

Watts only 22 big tall kid yet to fill out ,got lots of abilty will be an absulute champ still think center half back will be his spot in the future.just like hardeman run fast kick long with skill.

Barney, just thought I'd let you know it's NQR to like your own post.

But I do like your Bio. Hampton or Moorabbin boy growing up??

Moorabbin Tech?? year under the great Gary Hardeman.

A guy that looks a little like Barney Rubble.

I reckon I may know you.???

ps run fast and kick either foot with skill, Gary never knew what foot was his natural foot.

Edited by Chippy

I had meant that each of his steps were in the forward direction. I'm not completely negative.

you misconstrue....it was "I" suggesting not all his evolution was in a forward direction !!

• Like 1

Tell that to McKenzie

I think you have stated the obvious. So far the attributes you have mentioned have been lacking and they are not two big flaws. They are two huggggge flaws. They are the flaws in the same dimension as the only thing holding back Nicholson is a bit of disposal and decision making.

As i have said previously - everyone this year comes with a clean slate. Improve or perish - no excuses.

Edited by nutbean

I know he had to get fit, that's priority one to play in the midfield. And of course he'll be mainly an outside player. But Watts looked very thin up against the Geelong guys. Stevie J's quads are double the size of Watts'.

But he's been at the club for years now so his body can't be an excuse.

except that he has been at the (old) MFC which hasn't (to date) developed its players at all. Now he is at the new MFC. Let's see what happens this year.

and that is stating the obvious

I just dont see ( yet ) in Watts a player who buys into the true 'physciality' of the game.

As many see/say and suggest theres no mania to his tackling. As a spectator it seems more like going through the motion as determining to commit.

Its a mental thing...really is

He plays like Clark Kent !

The weird thing about Jack Watts is that he seems to exist in this bubble of slowness. We've all seen players that seem to have more time than most (and Wattsy is one of those); but with him it's like his opponents also have that extra time, simply through his low physicality and lack of intensity when he doesn't have the ball.

Will he ever fix the off-the-ball side of his game? Probably not, but that doesn't mean he can't be an effective player if used right.

Edited by Chook
  • Like 1