Jim Stynes joins bronze heroes at MCG Avenue of Legends

Arrow

More statues than any other club.....Norm Smith, Ron Barrassi, and Jim Stynes .

Who said we dont stand for anything?

I would also say we need to stand for something NOW as opposed to just standing for the past (though to be fair, Jimmy was pretty recent).

Wonder if the statue will display Jimmy in that bent knee kicking action with gloves and thigh protector on.....

Always thought the kick looked a touch awkward but very effective, so familiar when I think of the games I saw him play.

Wonderful footballer.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I don't know if this has been mentioned but who does Jeff Kennett think he is?

Kennett makes Eddie Mcguire and Warwick Capper seem reserved

'Stynes isn't worthy of an MCG statue'

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/neil-mitchell-blog/stynes-isnt-worthy-of-an-mcg-statue/20140515-38adb.html

"I think Tommy Hafey’s connect with society was a lot more profound than Jim Stynes as an example. I was disturbed by the decision-making process that led to Jim Stynes being recognised at the MCG."

"I think Tommy Hafey deserves to be recognised... because he lived for community, he was community, he was a man without an ego, he had good values," Kennett said.

Stynes wasnt a man of the community? Stynes had an ego?

Jeff Kennett has probably never heard of Beyond Blue or the countless other community organisations that Stynes was involved with.

He has taken a leaf straight out of Barret's handbook - he probably never even met Stynes

What a [censored]! If he thinks Tom Hafey deserves a statue then very well but to go and say someone like Stynes did not deserve one is just plain ignorant.

Jeff Kennett has probably never heard of Beyond Blue

Showing your age? Or do you have no clue?

Edit: I agree that what he said about Stynes is not great though

Edited by ucanchoose
  • Like 1

I agree with you on the substance of what you have said, Young Dee. I will say that you might want to look up Beyond Blue and then realize how silly a statement that was.
I will have a quiet chuckle over this as I think back to last year when so many people wanted to bring this clown in as our president. Jeff was going to lead our club while thinking that one of our most significant on-field figures wasn't worthy of being honored at our home ground.
For those who thought this was a good idea, give yourself an uppercut. People might find my bragging tiresome but I don't care. It was a stupid idea then and is appearing even stupider as time goes on.

Wonder if the statue will display Jimmy in that bent knee kicking action with gloves and thigh protector on.....

Always thought the kick looked a touch awkward but very effective, so familiar when I think of the games I saw him play.

Wonderful footballer.

That's how i remember him as well. Or running back for an overhead in front of a pack

As long as they don't put the cap on him ^_^

• 3 months later...

Just seen on twitter that the Jim Stynes Statue at the MCG is being unveiled today outside gate 2

When you consider the names and faces it will sit next to this is one truly amazing honour and achievement and not just for a footballer but a Sportsman in general

Would be great if anyone in the area is able to get a photo

• Like 2

I don't know if this has been mentioned but who does Jeff Kennett think he is?

Kennett makes Eddie Mcguire and Warwick Capper seem reserved

Jeff Kennett has probably never heard of Beyond Blue or the countless other community organisations that Stynes was involved with.

He has taken a leaf straight out of Barret's handbook - he probably never even met Stynes

What a [censored]! If he thinks Tom Hafey deserves a statue then very well but to go and say someone like Stynes did not deserve one is just plain ignorant.

Love it, Young Dee. You shot from the hip and embarrassed yourself a bit, Kennett did the same thing and showed what a headline-hunting egomaniac he really is - as if we didn't know.

Of course Tommy is a legend of the game, and I agree he deserves a statue, too. Using him to diss Jimmy is just low.

Just seen on twitter that the Jim Stynes Statue at the MCG is being unveiled today outside gate 2

When you consider the names and faces it will sit next to this is one truly amazing honour and achievement and not just for a footballer but a Sportsman in general

Would be great if anyone in the area is able to get a photo

The club put a few pics up on twitter. It looks great, and nice to see the red and blue worked into the uniform.

• Like 1

I can't think of a more worthy recipient than Jim at this time, for his efforts on and off the field.

Kennett can't help himself, just loves to seek attention by being controversial.

I don't agree

KB has as much right as the current incumbents IMO

Take a look at his record there is probably no one with better results.

He will get one eventually and in my view deserves one

Sorry Old , cant agree with you on this. Everything that Hungry was on the field is the antithesis of genuine heroics and greatness.

• Like 1

The Jim Stynes story is unique in Australian Football. There have been better players on the field, there's even been (dare I say) more courageous players on the field. But to come here from Ireland (against all odds), learn the game and play it at the highest level (against all odds) to work from being a villain in '87, to a hero in '91 when he take out the highest individual award in the game (certainly against all odds) makes this one of the great sporting stories in the world. Add to that the consecutive games records, multiple BnFs, the trailblazing role of encouraging more of his countrymen to try the game and his immense work in the community, and the Jim Stynes story is one that deserves to be immortalized in this fashion.

It's a great sculpture too - it's even capture the distinctive vertical way he held the ball,

• Like 2

I can't think of a more worthy recipient than Jim at this time, for his efforts on and off the field.

Kennett can't help himself, just loves to seek attention by being controversial.

Kennett......uuughh!

That man's interior is even uglier than his exterior, something I would have hardly thought possible.

Jimma: the antithesis.