Pledge per Win

Sir Why You Little

If you support our Club, you support it however and whenever you can. All the grandstanding about the 'Club owing me' is childish and pathetic (with sincere apologies to any children who have written above) .

This is a pretty shaky platform for playing the old "Who's a real supporter?" game, DOF. "Grandstanding", "Childish and pathetic" - climb down from your dunghill.

• Like 2

This is a pretty shaky platform for playing the old "Who's a real supporter?" game, DOF. "Grandstanding", "Childish and pathetic" - climb down from your dunghill.

"however and whenever you can" Geoff!

I liken the supporter/club relationship to the parent/child relationship in that as a supporter you get to tell the club what to do from time to time and hope that your wishes will be honoured, but that you can't expect compliance and should never attempt to use your love as a bargaining chip. In exchange, you get to feel proud of achievements you haven't accomplished with any personal risk or effort.

Edited by Chook

I guess my love for MFC is not as deep and unqualified as seems to be the norm here.

Guilty as charged.

That's the most positive thing I've heard you say in a long time OD.

I'm still tipping 2015, but for you to be looking at 2016 makes my heart skip a beat. I reckon I'm getting into your head. Go Old Dee!

Yes Reverend but you are an incurable romantic !

Even I have to believe there is hope even if it is slender.

I guess my love for MFC is not as deep and unqualified as seems to be the norm here.

No, that's incorrect. Love for club isn't a monetary thing. It's standing up for your club around the watercooler, participating in radio shows, social media and how much time you spend thinking of the club. The amount of time I spend on this website regularly reminds me I'd be in the top 1% of passion for Melbourne supporters. Live and breathe it, however I don't donate to these things.

Anyone who thinks that $ invested is an accurate display of love for the club is so misguided. After all who's sacrificing more, the 100k businessman giving 1,000 bucks a year, or a university student paying 200 a year..

• Like 4

No, that's incorrect. Love for club isn't a monetary thing. It's standing up for your club around the watercooler, participating in radio shows, social media and how much time you spend thinking of the club. The amount of time I spend on this website regularly reminds me I'd be in the top 1% of passion for Melbourne supporters. Live and breathe it, however I don't donate to these things.

Anyone who thinks that $ invested is an accurate display of love for the club is so misguided. After all who's sacrificing more, the 100k businessman giving 1,000 bucks a year, or a university student paying 200 a year..

........ or a pensioner pledging a few dollars per win to assist the Club he/she has supported for 50 years.

• Like 2

If it wasn't you wouldn't post here.

It's to each his own, there are some that will, there are some that won't contribute to this, but as I said earlier no one will think any less of those who don't or more for those that do.

This is simply a way for the club to flush out a few bucks from excited supporters and it's no different to what any struggling club would do.

• Like 4

I think if the mfc is to make more money from supporters it should be from NEW SUPPORTERS not the existing faithful supporters who have already put in despite all the $hit

that should be the real focus

if existing supporters wish to contribute more then that's fine too, and their business i guess

First time posting in this great domain. I dont like the pledge to win promotion , I think it gets away from the core issue of supporting the club regardless of win or loss and sends the wrong message.

• Like 2

First time posting in this great domain. I dont like the pledge to win promotion , I think it gets away from the core issue of supporting the club regardless of win or loss and sends the wrong message.

Welcome aboard CD.

What that we want to win?

Welcome aboard CD.

What that we want to win?

perfect example of the club always being 'damned if they do and damned if they don't' around here

nobody ever stops whinging about us being broke and losing games but it's nothing but disapproval when a scheme comes along that is specifically designed to make money and win games

• Like 7

perfect example of the club always being 'damned if they do and damned if they don't' around here

nobody ever stops whinging about us being broke and losing games but it's nothing but disapproval when a scheme comes along that is specifically designed to make money and win games

I think you are simplifying the concerns, or frustrations, that posters have with this type of scheme.

And it is designed to make money from winning games - it won't win any games itself.

The posters on here, I dare say, would be members of the variety that give to the club in good times and bad. This particular policy is aimed at members to give to the club, it is a valid point that this is aimed at a already tapped resource.

Strategies aimed at supporters who are not members would be the better strategy in their eyes.

And they are right, but I am sure we are doing that too - this would be in conjunction to that, but it doesn't mean that they don't have a good point that the club is going to the Members well once more - as it is also true that a lot of us are more than willing to give.

They don't need a lecture on engagement with the club.

It just seems ridiculous to set up a fundraiser based on win/loss

You should actually try buying a membership first before you get involved in this thread.

seems like it is aimed at those fans who believe that if the dees arent performing then they dont deserve any money.

they for the most part would not have bought memberships in the recent past, even if they did many years ago

during a more succesful era but might find this a way to have their cake and eat it to

a. the dees dont win and they save their cash

b. yeah it costs a bit of coin but who wouldnt pay to see some melbourne success

Stop your bitching ET has every right to feel that way, this club owes the supporters big time we paid there 6 million debt and what did we get in return, there obviously trying to cash in on the PR hype but they should've waited to next year , fans are [censored] off and they have every right to be.

This thread truly amazes me.

The club is trying to raise money.

We are far behind most clubs in the finance department.

It is not compulsory.

Put your hand in your pocket or don't as they case may be.

End of story IMO.

• Like 6

A lot of people will go for the scheme and I will get ripped for this , but from this members perspective I like the pure aspect of game day, the membership is paid and its down to the players in the red and blue ,the world stops in a way. elation in a few hours or the all to familiar. attaching a donation based on win loss promotes the idea that winning and money are exclusive and that support may not be deserved if we lose, validating the members who have dropped off in protest recently, an ineffective way of resolving things and is not really an example of toughing it out. if the club shows a some patience those protesting will sign up again.

• Like 1

I don't think I've ever read such rot on Demonland.

This idea is as old as the hills and was part and parcel of the usual fund raising for years. TBH I didn't realise it had been dropped.

It's pretty simple really. The Club is merely offering those that want to a chance to contribute. If you don't like it don't do it. But getting offended by it is dumb.

Everyone supports in the way that suits them. There is no obligation, we are not paying taxes, there is no penalty for not participating so if you don't like it just ignore it.

But all this rot? Give me a break.

• Like 8

This idea is as old as the hills and was part and parcel of the usual fund raising for years. TBH I didn't realise it had been dropped.

It's pretty simple really. The Club is merely offering those that want to a chance to contribute. If you don't like it don't do it. But getting offended by it is dumb.

Everyone supports in the way that suits them. There is no obligation, we are not paying taxes, there is no penalty for not participating so if you don't like it just ignore it.

I don't think too many here are getting offended, but more sharing opinions a discussing the idea. You sound like the one getting offended.
  • Like 1

How about this.....wait....I have a better idea......

Instead of a pledge for every win 20$ 10wins =200$...

IF MELBOURNE PLAY FINALS IN 2014 I PLEDGE TO GIVE THE CLUB 200$.

Then it goes back to the players and coaching staff.

Up there in the empty promises rankings with the free Mars Bar for everyone in Australia if Carlton made the Grand Final.

Who's offended? Some of us simply want to see some effort on a weekly basis. As I posted yesterday mindset is free, as is application and a never say die attitude. That's all some of us are asking. Come years end regardless of wins/losses if I think they've had a real crack I will donate to their cause.

I have already donated to Demon Heartland on my membership allowing kids who wouldn't normally be able to attend games for different reasons the chance to do so.

• Like 2

Who's offended? Some of us simply want to see some effort on a weekly basis. As I posted yesterday mindset is free, as is application and a never say die attitude. That's all some of us are asking.

And what your asking for has nothing to do with the win pledge.

It's just a means by which some supporters choose to provide additional support to the Club.

Nothing more.