• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training - Friday 7th February, 2014

Whispering_Jack

Here's a transcript of texts I sent to same mates who couldn't make it.

-Blues vs whites warming up.

-Blues - hogan, Dawes, Viney, Strauss, McDonald, Dunn, Westrupp, Blease , Jetta, Barry, trenners, spencer, Mckenzie, Howe, jamar, Evans, Michie, Clisby Matt jones, kent

Whites - Toumpas, Gawn, cross, Jonesy, grimes, georgiou, JKH, max king, Salem, Vince, Byrnes, pedersen, nicho, Tyson, chip, bail, terlich,

Jack watts nowhere to be seen

Tappy and Riley in rehab group

Heaps of voice in warm up. Boys are pumped!!!

Don mcclardy in the coaches and officials roped off area deep in convo with Todd Viney

Fitzy also in the whites team

Hot down here already, breezy conditions

Clint Stanaway here for a look

Spoke to one of the assistants watts not injured, but not here as he is feeling ill

Ill hey?? Mmm, the bloke was a bit cagey when he answered.

About to start here

Spencer full fwd chip on him, Georgiou on hogan, Terlich on Howe

Salem lace out to fitzy

Salem picks up a half volley helicopter at full pace wheels onto the left and lasers it 40m to Toumpas who catches it at full stretch a foot off the ground. Slots it from 35 straight in front. First goal to the whites

Hogan marks out on the lead in front of chip

More good play from Salem and Toumpad results in set shot for Pedo

Dobs it from 50m, 45 degree angle

Toumpas goals from 50m after marking on the lead. Has a Josh Kennedy stutter on his run up but two beautiful kicks so far

Salem another fwd entry to fitzy for a mark who Kicks to Toumpas free kick for in the back. Kicks his 3rd

Iffy Free kick to hogan. Pedo fuming. Sprays it from 35 for a point

Blease loads of running and a number of touched early

Goal to hogan from open play from 10m out. Just before the interval

Restart.

Goal to Howe. Tyson and Michie getting lots of it

Viney running laps, but is fully kitted up?

Matt jones getting heaps of it too. 3 clearances in a row

Hogan off this quarter

Blease very impressive here

Trenners not playing, not sure why?? Did the warm up

Tyson is wearing no 9 after warming up in 12

Toumpas breaks through the middle and hits Nath jones 45 out, he misses his second set shot of the q and berates himself with a high pitched scream

Toumpas again through the middle. Great vision hitting it diagonally 40m to JKH Who marks and runs into open goal from 25 out

2 out of 3 20m periods done.

Best so far in order. Whites: Toumpas, Tyson, Salem, N jones Blues: Matt jones and Blease equally good for different reasons. Jones / clearances. Blease work rate and winning outside ball

Very hot here. Boys are battling a bit

Viney stretching out on a guy busting 300m, almost collapses as he finishes

Garland appears to be doing some coaching with Pedo at the break

3rd period about to start. Whites back kicking with the wind again. Hogan back on for Blues. Georgiou goes to him again

Blease half back lining up on Vince

Michie first hands but Toumpas wraps him up with a great tackle

Hogan strong mark 55 out

Hogan and Jonesy brief wrestle. Stalemate

Michie great at clearances

Hogan great tackle in Grimesy

Lovely work in half back by JKH

Nice snap out of a pack for a goal by Pedo

Toumpas marks from grimes and kicks his 4th

Howe and grimes swap teams

Blease handball to kent who misses from 10m

Hogan marks and goals from 40 out on the boundary

Roos has stopped play twice in last 5 mins, getting frustrated at the boys for not moving it quick enough

Game over

• Like 3

The funniest thing of the morning was when Jesse Hogan inadvertently whacked into Paul Roos who was trying to show him correct body positioning in a pre-training drill and Roosy went down like a spud - at first I thought he got him in cods but length of time Roosy was on ground or keeled over suggested in the ribs.

Hogan was very apologetic at time. Was there a link to the fact that he was selected in the the clearly inferior Blue team and just wanted to make a point to the old fella? Doubtful, but there's no doubt Roosy will remember him come selection this week.

What was impressive is that the guys trained for nearly 80 minutes before the scratch match got underway - all up they got a very long session.

Viney and Dawes did the early drills but did not play while Wattsy had gastro. Tappy did sprints away from main group.

A few notes on game.

The white side had virtually Roosy entire top midfield and were really only not allowed five players who you would think would be in the ones next Friday - Howe, Spencer, Hogan, T-Mac and Dunn.

The two surprise players who got a crack at defence in the so-callled ones were Georgiou, who played on Hogan, and Nicho, who played on Kent most of the time.

Georgiou actually did OK and linked up well with Chipper and Grimes.

Nicho, for those of you who love to bag him on this medium, had a very ordinary morning - a shocking entry into the forward line and caught badly by Kent on a couple of occasions. Given I'm not a Nicho basher and liked his game on Griffo last year, I had him pencilled in as being our tag man for Jack Steven in Rd 1, but it's fair to say he blew it badly. I now think Bail or Jordie will get the tagger role in Rd 1 - but that's still a long way off with three games to play before then.

Two key things that I don't think have been mentioned yet.

1) Blease got a nice intercept in second term and was about to run on to the ball and have a big chance of scoring when Roosy stepped in and gave the ball to the defensive side - think it was Salem. Why he chose to pick on Bleasey is interesting, especially given this thread always bags him for selfishness and lack of fitness. But it would appear Roosy also picks on Bleasey too. I would suggest he's trying to make him really earn his spot the hard way. Certainly Blease and Kent were the only two livewire presences on the blue side today and the only ones other than five who I have mentioned already, who would be likely to make the cut for the Richmond game.

2) Roosy wanted Howey to get more ball so sent him to FF, swapping with Grimesy early in third term. Quite obviously Howey will be starting as a key forward on Friday. Significantly he did not allow Hogan any such luxury of a switch late in the game - maybe he was still reeling form the bump to the ribs!

I could go on about game and people have already gone on about Salem's first term today. While I doubt it will change Roosy's plans for bringing Salem into the seniors in a hurry, it may have given Roosy at least cause to think that a debut about Rd 5, rather than Rd 15, may be appropriate if shows his skills at Casey early.

But based on what I saw, our likely 24 (I think that's right number for NAB challenge) is as follows:

Midfielders: N.Jones, Cross, Vince, Tyson, Watts, Bail, Toumpas

Defenders: Frawley, T-Mac, Grimes, Dunn, Georgiou, Terlich (who just pips Strauss and Clisby)

Tall Forwards: Howe, Hogan, Pederson

Small forwards: Kent, Blease and hopefully JKH

Rucks: Spencil and Gawn

Assuming fit add Trenners, Fitzy and Viney (he will be into Roosy this week I'm sure).

But I suspect three extras will be Michie, Strauss and M.Jones.

Definitely out injured: Garland, Dawes, Clark.

thanks for the great reports ,cant get to training so these reports are priceless

• Like 1

on todays form can blease get in starting 22 I think it is 3yrs since he broke his leg so he should be ready by noe

Ok I went today, and firstly, wow, awesome turnout. Great atmosphere with a good variety of Dees fans I've never seen before

Pre-game, Viney was blistering through drills and showing exquisite kicking skills, but unfortunately didn't participate in the intra-club.

-Toumpas has found his spot as a forward, 4 goals was a brilliant effort, all good set shot kicks

-Clark just did light running again, Tapscott also wasn't with the main group either, Trengove disappeared after drills and didn't play the main game

-Spencer excited me with some speed and improved kicking

-First good look at Salem, very composed, good evasive skills, can't wait to see him play.

-Kennedy Harris showed fantastic foward line pressure

-Pedersen has improved and seems to have his sights set on a spot in the forward line (good luck!), kicked 2 excellent goals

-McDonald found a lot of the ball and made good decisions early but started missing targets

-Tyson looked a bit slow and had a couple of weak efforts

-Hogan didn't play the full game but he kicked a good goal from a tight angle and impressed me with his work rate.

Also, I stood next to the TV interview with Jade Rawlings and he explained that Watts had a virus, Hogan being ready, Salem and Kennedy-Harris in the mix to get picked, but you'll probably see the interview anyway

• Like 2

Sincere thanks to all who were able to get there.

Fabulous reports.

I guess we will just have to wait and see how we go in the serious competitive stuff, but at least it sounds as if we have a midfield and have some plans. Surely that must add up to a far more "watchable" 2014.

Lets be realistic.......It was the first scratch match for the season.....played in 35 to 38 degrees and after a training session at the start of Feb.....Lets see how we are going after the practise matches before we start bemoaning the presumption that we are no good..

Did Dom Barry play and if so how did he go?

Early pre-season reports were that he was looking good but I haven't heard a thing about him in training reports for quite some time..

Hopeless. He wouldn't have needed 3 fingers to count his possessions.

I don't think he'll ever be a high possession getter but just hope that when he does play he brings a bit of spark and magic to the side.

Fairly certain he was brought to the club with the expectation that senior footy would be a while away. I still have high hopes for the kid.

Lets be realistic.......It was the first scratch match for the season.....played in 35 to 38 degrees and after a training session at the start of Feb.....Lets see how we are going after the practise matches before we start bemoaning the presumption that we are no good..

Few boys had gastro too apparently.

For those who couldn't make it, does anyone know what channel the replay's on tonight?

fox 123

say yes to the dress is on at 6.30-7.30

it follows straight after

commentators,a hudson,b taylor and special comments biff

Phew, finally someone I agree with. Mind you, I only saw quarters 2 and 3.

Someone said Mitchie got 2-3 touches. I saw at least 10.

I love what JKH brings. We have no other player like him and he looked right at home. I have him as kicking 3.

I also liked Tyson's poise and movement through traffic. Dropped a mark he shouldn't have and turned it over a couple of times, but the class is evident.

I knew people would rave about Toumpas, but I have very low expectations of him this year. He's just so frail and weak looking over the footy. He needs to be out wide where he can link play and kick a goal. Salem looks FAR better. Salem is going to be a beauty. To think Stevethemanjordan (or whatever it is) says he's an ectomorph. He's already got a terrific frame.

I wasn't there, but I'm guessing that if they had had a fairly intensive skills session that lasted approx 80 minutes (I think someone said earlier), prior to the "match simulation", then that may go a way towards explaining why the skills dropped off?

Had the morning off so went today. Been a while since I've gone to training. Was hot and windy, but not too bad in the shade. Gosch's Paddock turf is in immaculate condition. Very good supporter turn out, maybe a couple of hundred around the ground. Good to see Don McLardy there shaking lots of hands and smiling. I stood near the MFC tent and van where the assistants and players stood at the boundary.

Rehab/lighter duties group: Tappy, Riley, Viney, Dawes, Clark. Garland there but not doing anything. Riley is big across the arms and shoulders, and is focussing on building his tank. He struggled in the heat, Tappy and Viney showed little discomfort in comparison. Tappy simply is a tank. Dawes ran lots of laps, did the warm up drills before the prac match. Didn't see Clark do much, but I only got there just before the match. Clark is big in the upper body, but has chicken legs, of sorts.

Absent: Watts and Hunt both have gastro apparently and were told to stay at home.

Possible injuries today: Nico rolled left ankle at the bottom of a tackle. Got iced up on outside of ankle. Jetta was dumped in a tackle and appeared to come off with a sore right shoulder, wasn't iced. I did notice JKH get dumped in a tackle (by Spencer IIRC) and come up gingerly holding his right shoulder. Kept playing on though. Heard a trainer say he had a 'stinger', whatever that is. Sounds like a rum cocktail he might have had in his drink bottle.

I'm going to pick 3 players to comment on, as suggested earlier in the thread. I like that idea.

Hogan...

A beast, pure and simple. Still got a bit of work to do on body definition to further increase strength (especially in comparison to Dawes, for example, who is a big, well defined unit), but for a teenager, he's unbelievable. Leaps and marks well, sometimes two grabs when should have maybe been one. Runs and presents VERY well. Wants the footy, all over it when in his area. Ferocious attack on the contest. Not convinced about his set shot kicking action. Has the stutter run up and drops the ball down with the ball on an angle pointing to his right, then swings his leg around in the kicking action. Doesn't look simple or fluid. Missed several set shots that weren't difficult. Having said that, at the very end of the match he took a mark on the lead near the boundary about 40m out. Roos (umpire) blew the whistle for 'full time' and as Hoges was walking back to take his shot, Roos yelled out several times "you're one point down, need a goal to win!" The players gathered around, so he was under a bit of pressure... slotted it right through the middle, to the crowd's delight. End justifies the means, I guess.

Nico...

Honest trier, foot soldier, hard runner. Can get a bit of the ball, and generally knows where to go to, but his disposal is horrid most of the time. By hand or foot. I saw at least two turn over handballs and two significant turnover kicks. Opposition teams are going to love him having the ball in the back 50 because they know a turn over is likely. I hope his turned ankle is not serious.

JKH.....

He's a little gem. Busy around the packs, loves to take the ball and run, has a great side step/side movement which wrong foots the opponent nearly every time. Hard running, regularly saw opponents try and block him or bump as he was running fwd to make the play. He's going to have to get used to more of that. Good disposal by hand and foot. Needs to get his short kicks going flat and hard (like Jones, Toumpas and Tyson), rather than chipping the kick upward. Loves to be in the action, but can go missing at times, but he is only young. Very good acquisition so far, will be interested to see how he develops.

Other notables:

Spencer is a huge monster. Hungry and demanding more of the ball around the ground. Leading hard and even took on a 50 m run into the fwd 50, bounced the ball on the run (didn't look pretty) and kicked on the run to the marking forward in front of goals.

Toumpas continuing to improve, kicked a number of creative goals in 1st half.

Dom Tyson oozes poise and class. Great pick up.

Viv Michie is a big boy. Gets the ball, uses it well.

Strauss did very well today. Should kick it more and handball less.

King has a very long way to go, as does Westrupp. That's ok, they require time to develop.

Cross will prove to be a handy mid this year. His experience was telling today.

Chip was his usual effective Chip. Hope he stays.

Happy to answer qstns. Was chatting to other spectators a bit so may not have noticed other things.

• Like 4

I wasn't there, but I'm guessing that if they had had a fairly intensive skills session that lasted approx 80 minutes (I think someone said earlier), prior to the "match simulation", then that may go a way towards explaining why the skills dropped off?

not really

the idea is to produce skills under pressure

the best teams produce in the last quarter when the more tired you are the less skill level you have.

this is a standard that needs to be picked up,

good teams produce after 3 quarters of intensity.

this is what we need

• Like 1

-Clark just did light running again, Tapscott also wasn't with the main group either, Trengove disappeared after drills and didn't play the main game

Tappy came off the track mid way thru last fri session and had a lot of work on his hip/grion, did a few short run through and picked his bag up and went back to the rooms.

Jimmy's second goal was a pearler from 50m out. Hit it so sweet - travelled close to 60m I reckon. I've always been suspect of Toumpas with his long kicking. No concerns after today.

He'll kick goals this year.

Me too, good to hear he has a long kick in him.

Part 2:

Great account of the match. Sounds like for "Trengove" we should read "Tyson".

Sounds like there was one end being favoured by the wind - white had the best of the first qtr, blue the 2nd, and white again the 3rd.

And was the wind a factor in the sloppy disposal?

Yes, they were blowing some cobwebs out of the way.

I'm liking how the midfield will look this year. Jones x 2, Tyson, Vince, Cross, Viney, Trengove, Watts, Michie, Toumpas, McKenzie. It should be far more competitive.

• Like 2

Great account of the match. Sounds like for "Trengove" we should read "Tyson".

Sounds like there was one end being favoured by the wind - white had the best of the first qtr, blue the 2nd, and white again the 3rd.

And was the wind a factor in the sloppy disposal?

Yes I made a mistake. If anything it was a pretty sloppy report written very much on the go. I don't think the wind factored too much in the scoreline and I don't think it factored too much in the sloppy disposal. You know, cobwebs out as many said, the heat was a factor as was the fact that a few were ill. I think the game plan that looks to be in effect is pretty good, but it'll take a few weeks t get around it. Still have to be realistic, we're not just going to jump out of the bottom four straight away but at least we look like we're taking the whole football thing a lot more seriously than we did last year under Neeld.

• Like 1

I went and had a look, yes the boys did chip the ball around but we hit targets. A few missed but a majority hit the target and we controlled the football. Proved one thing a good midfield and defense wins matches. The white team seemed to have the stronger mids and defenders whilst the blue team had the stronger forward line.

Viv Michie will play round 1 and I have Nev Jetta as our best small defender from today.

Salem first time I have seen him after Christmas, he looks to have put on 5-10Kgs and looks like an AFL player and not the boy we drafted. Today in windy conditions his foot skills were the stand out.

Matt Jones looked good, Dom Tyson wearing No 9 was good in close, Vince, in fact everyone who we brought into our club through the trade/Draft period did well.

We can actually control the footy that was the most pleasing thing. Our players knew the style each side is playing but we still managed to hit targets.

Can someone tell Tom McDonald to take first option and stop over thinking. He gets the footy and I don't believe it is his skill letting him down it is second guessing himself.