• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training - Friday 7th February, 2014

Whispering_Jack

Just left what was as expected a scrappy affair. Those that don't like short chips across defence to transition should not watch this year. Best 5 for me were Toumpas (which included 4 goals), Jones x 2, Vince and Frawley. No obvious injuries to anyone which is the most important element.

• Like 2

Just left what was as expected a scrappy affair. Those that don't like short chips across defence to transition should not watch this year. Best 5 for me were Toumpas (which included 4 goals), Jones x 2, Vince and Frawley. No obvious injuries to anyone which is the most important element.

Can't think of a Top 6 team that doesn't do short chips across defence to switch and then kick long to uncontested player on the run, rather than Neeld's kick long out of defence to a contest on the boundary line and then hope and pray that you are able to knock it over the line for a throw in that you are more likely than not to lose.

• Like 5

Alright, I've seperated my report into two. Part two is quite the long one, live scoring and everything.

Part 1:

TGIF! Once again I'm spending this glorious time of the week at Gosch's to cover training again.

Some general randomness as I always seem to include: Spent the time on the way playing Flappy Bird.

Frustration levels on my Facebook feed has ranged from 186 to Mark Neeld's gameplan. It is far off the mark, I find it an enjoyable game.

Okay so I get there and there's this huge cage that Fox FM are involved in. I don't know what it is, nor do I care. So I park myself on the outer wing nearest to Punt Road, for reasons of

a) I want shade on this warm day, and

b) prime viewing for match simulation.

Byrnes, Nicholson and McDonald are first on the track, walking around. Others are gradually joining in.

A bit of a crowd are gathering here at Gosch's.

It looks like Clark, Riley, Garland (who's on the track, great to see) and Tapscott are the only ones not training/playing today.

Jack Watts is NOT here, reasoning, crook.

The crowd here is VERY decent.

Boys have started off doing stretches, runthroughs and the like. Overheard from Gawn: 'Col (Garland) can you tell Dunny how good I am at intraclubs?' Expecting best on from Gawny now.

Kent + JKH + Salem not doing stretches, runthroughs. Not entirely sure why. Judging by the fact that they are wearing training jumpers they should play in the intraclub. Let's hope so - three quality young players.

It was a nice touch to see Salem talking to some of his family who are very supportive of him.

Rehab: Tappy running laps, Clark jogging, Garland on the other track.

Riley joins in with runthroughs. Great to see him progressing very well.

Short kicks around the ground now.

Drills to start with. Small group doing leads/contests inside 50, majority dojng contact work.

Handball work on the wing.

Moving on to kicks now. The boys aren't too vocal yet but wait till they play.

This crowd at Gosch's is probably the biggest I have seen, probably even beating the time all the Demon Army came out to support the boys after Essendon whacked us last year.

Next drill: short kick/handball/kick through the middle/goal. Clisby starts the drill then heads off to the group with JKH/Salem/Kent.

Group moving through with ease through the middle. Couple of kicks missing the target however. One from Pedersen is an absolute shank which goed no higher than two metres in the air, then nutmegs Frawley with an awkward bounce. Better now than March, I guess.

Dom Tyson is using the ball very well. He's been in some good form on the track and I'd love to see it in the intraclub today.

Boys urged to lift their voice which is pretty disappointing at this level.

Variation of this drill now.

Good to see Dawes continuing to move with a lot of freedom. And he looks confident too. Taking marks overhead which has been a bit of a knock on him in years past.

Gotta feel sorry for Max King doing ruck drills in front of me. In a Spencer/Jamar sandwich. Bloke is being treated like a battering ram.

Voice is still more meek than previous sessions. It should be much louder.

Boys called in.

New drill I've seen, can't explain it too well... looks like stoppage then a kick inside 50. Imposing sight seeing Dawes and Hogan together in the goalsquare... even at training.

At the other end there's a bit of stoppage work going on.

Guy drives past shouting out 'YOU'RE [censored] MELBOURNE!' What a hero you are mate.

Hogan moving with more freedom too. Looking alright to play next week I reckon.

Boys called in again. Intraclub time...

• Like 12

Part 2:

Teams (initial):

White: Bail, Byrnes, Cross, Fitzpatrick, Frawley, Gawn, Georgiou, Grimes, Harmes, N Jones, JKH, King, Nicholson, Pedersen, Salem, Terlich, Toumpas, Tyson, Vince.

Blue: Barry, Blease, Clisby, Dunn, Evans, Hogan, Howe, Jamar, Jetta, M Jones, Kent, McDonald, McKenzie, Michie, Spencer, Strauss, Trengove, Westrupp.

Missing: Clark, Dawes, Garland, Hunt, Riley, Tapscott, Trengove, Viney, Watts (Viney + Dawes + Riley on sideline)

A fair match. Teams look fairly even but I'd back white.

First Quarter:

Dawes is off for now. 19 v 18 now.

Matt Jones with the clearance for blue. Georgiou holds his own against Hogan one on one. Beautiful kick from Salem to Fitzpatrick. Fitz does not make the distance from your classic James Brayshaw BU-NA-NA.

Short 25m kicks the order so far for Blue.

It's the same deal for White but with switch play. Georgiou beats Hogan again! He's looking alright so far. Salem has hit two targets inside 50 from two kicks. Toumpas lining up. Goal.

White 1.0 (6)

Blue 0.0 (0)

Back in the middle. Viv doing the work winning the hard ball and gets a couple of touches. Again, a chain of 25m kicks hitting the target.

Hogan on the lead, now on Frawley. Two White blokes on their own through the middle. Why?

Forward pressure from White excellent.

Pedersen mark + shot for goal. Goal.

White 2.0 (12)

Blue 0.0 (0)

White off to a flyer. Salem with three touches and two score involvements so far, good form. Playing on a flank.

Kent crunches Tyson in a tackle. Free kick and hits Toumpas. Toump has two goals.

White 3.0 (18)

Blue 0.0 (0)

Toumpas continuing his pre season form up forward.

Blue clearance thanks to a McKenzie free. White repelling every Blue attack thus far.

Salem gets a fifth touch. He's mauling it and has hit four targets inside 50. Toumpas with a free kick close to goal. Three goals.

White 4.0 (24)

Blue 0.0 (0)

Cross, Salem and Toumpas are killing it so far. Matt Jones with a second clearance. Free to Hogan! Blue set to hit the scoreboard. One behind.

White 4.0 (24)

Blue 0.1 (1)

Very quick kick in transition but Roh Bail kicks a point.

White 4.1 (25)

Blue 0.1 (1)

Blue's kick in is slower and more methodical. White are just working harder. Not giving them room.

Jay Kennedy-Harris applying extreme pressure but it doesn't pay off. Hogan with Blue's first goal at quarter time.

White 4.1 (25)

Blue 1.1 (7)

Goals:

White - Toumpas 3, Pedersen

Blue - Hogan

Story so far is that Cross, Salem and Toump have been excellent. Salem and Cross with about 10 touches between them. Toump with three goals as mentioned above.

Two fighter jets fly over very randomly.

Second Quarter:

Blue in a bit of a pickle here. Three goals down to start the second. Not working anywhere near as hard as White are and can't get it through the midfield. Sounds somewhat familiar. White clearance. JKH with his first touch. Max King with a couple of touches and hits N Jones inside 50. One behind.

White 4.2 (26)

Blue 1.1 (7)

Dunn with a torp down the middle! Didn't work though as Grimes intercepts.

Salem with another touch and another inside 50. More fighter jets flying over. Blue with a forward 50 entry. Viv not keen on hitting a forward 50 target due to White's pressure man on man. In the end it's a White free for on the full. Bernie Vince getting a few touches. JKH breaks M Jones' ankles, turning him inside out! Wow. One behind to Blue. Blease clobbers behind post but is okay.

White 4.2 (26)

Blue 1.2 (8)

JKH intercepts inside 50 but does not score. Spencer up the other end goes for a run (!) then hits Howe. Howe goals. Game on.

White 4.2 (26)

Blue 2.2 (14)

Clearance to Harmes who is now with Blue. Howe grabs a clearance from throw in but misses the lot.

Viv has a shot, on the full. Salem and Toumpas playing more on ball now. Blue certainly fighting back however.

Now White with a slower build up. None of the quick movement in the opening stanza. Harmes with another clearance. Looking alright so far. Spencer clunking a mark. He's looking good. I want to see a big season from him - we need to, the ruck looks rather weak at the moment for us.

Forward pressure from Blue is far better this quarter. Role reversal from the first quarter. Salem and Toumpas combine again and N Jones gets another shot at goal. Misses.

White 4.3 (27)

Blue 2.2 (14)

Kick in slow from Blue. Viv turns the wick on a bit but doesn't hit Kent down the line.

Salem to JKH but JKH misses on the run. End of the quarter.

White 4.4 (28)

Blue 2.2 (14)

Goals:

White - Toumpas 3, Pedersen

Blue - Hogan, Howe

It's good to see Salem playing extremely well. He's had about nine touches. For a draftee I'm super impressed. Wondered why he averaged 145 in SuperCoach last year in the TAC Cup? Kid is a ball magnet. But I don't see him straight into the side yet. Let him ease in to it at Casey, Roosy.

Viv had a lot of the ball too that quarter. Recruits standing up!

Third Quarter:

Although goalless that quarter White still looking the goods. Held out Blue's intense pressure that quarter and conceded only one goal. Back under way. Toumpas playing in the guts now, as is JKH. Salem still forward.

Strauss hits Hogan lace out on the lead.

Georgiou looks comfortable in the one on ones. Viv has been Blue's best player I reckon. Has had about 10-11 touches. Hogan laying a big tackle now inside 50. JKH taking everyone and the game on again. Liking it a lot. He's got into it as the game has gone on.

Pedo out of the pack, snaps, goal. His second.

White 5.4 (34)

Blue 2.2 (14)

Crossy with his bread and butter from the bounce, at the bottom of the pack, gets it to Trengove who gets the clearance. Toump lining up for number four! He gets it! He has been excellent!!!

White 6.4 (40)

Blue 2.2 (14)

N Jones with the clearance. Blue gets it but Kent misses a gettable one.

White 6.4 (40)

Blue 2.3 (15)

White's kick in very quick as I'm typing and Howe gets in on the act kicking a goal for both sides now. Classic coast to coast footy.

White 7.4 (46)

Blue 2.3 (15)

N Jones again with the clearance. Quick transition to Howe, Howe kicks two in two minutes.

White 8.4 (52)

Blue 2.3 (15)

White are just working far harder than Blue. Though it helps to have Jones, Cross and Tyson. Trenners with another clearance but Dunn intercepts. Spencer just far too big for King in the ruck.

Again White clear and Salem gets another couple of touches, as does Jones. Some switch play and White are away. Pedo takes a mark inside 50 and lines up. Or so I thought. Goes to Howe in the goalsquare, he kicks another. That's four in total, three this quarter.

White 9.4 (58)

Blue 2.3 (15)

M Jones with the clearance. Kent moving well and has had a few touches.

Blue can't penetrate inside 50, White very good defensively.

Blue do get an inside 50 entry and Hogan lines up after the whistle to end the quarter. Consolation goal.

White 9.4 (58)

Blue 3.3 (21)

So there it is, White dominating. It's easy to look at the side and say they were too good, reality is White were far better than Blue who had lost a couple beforehand and simply didn't work hard enough apart from Michie, Spencer, Kent, McKenzie and probably M Jones too, while for White it was a good effort. Salem, Cross, Howe (in the last quarter) and Toumpas were impressive. N Jones put in a typical game. What I do want to see is Melbourne (whoever is in the 22) put in as much effort as the White team did today.

Edited by Whispering_Jack
Tyson - wore Trenners' number for most of the game
  • Like 29

Only an intraclub, but I will sit back and wait for the negators to have a crack at this. Like "OMG if they are doing OK we are set for eternal doom" etc etc

Thanks to all for their reports

Just on Pedo, there is no doubt he has some good tricks which we all saw on the North Melb highlights vid (think its on youtube) and some cameo's last season where he took some solid grabs and had a great run & goal vs GWS.

He just seems to be a massive confidence player. The difference between his best and worst is amazing.

I have little faith in him ever being anything more than a depth player but hoping Roos may get a lot more out of him.

• Like 2

Can't think of a Top 6 team that doesn't do short chips across defence to switch and then kick long to uncontested player on the run, rather than Neeld's kick long out of defence to a contest on the boundary line and then hope and pray that you are able to knock it over the line for a throw in that you are more likely than not to lose.

Spot on. Its all about control. With a mark the player can stop if required and wait till an option comes up. Also controls the tempo, can disrupt the momentum of the opposition, allows players to get back into position or run to space to give an option. Its how Freo, Swans and Hawks all play and it makes perfect sense.

As you say kicking long out of defense to the boundary line risks losing control of the ball - and how often did we see the ball coming straight back in to our forward line in the last couple of years.

Bailey favored handball and/or fast play on from marks to get out it out of defense fast but again the risk was losing control of the footy. When it worked we scored quickly - when we lost control we got smashed. Still i preferred that to the Neeld approach were we got smashed and didn't score at all.

• Like 1

Toump report has me very excited.

Jimmy's second goal was a pearler from 50m out. Hit it so sweet - travelled close to 60m I reckon. I've always been suspect of Toumpas with his long kicking. No concerns after today.

He'll kick goals this year.

• Like 2

Couple of notes:

• Dawes and Viney didn't play in the match, but trained. Riley ran laps.
  • Not a fantastic match by any stretch - not encouraging at all the week before NAB Challenge.
  • There was little to no corridor play, though of course it wasn't a full sized ground they were on.
  • I liked Vince's dash, he seems pretty impressive.
  • Georgiou did a good job on Hogan when he was on him, Chip dominated his forward.
  • Pedersen worked hard in defence...
  • Clisby played forward for the first half, perhaps because of the lack of targets.
  • Strauss was really poor, kicked it on the full to noone from 50 which had everyone groaning.
  • Michie didn't get enough of the ball for me, maybe got it 2 or 3 times and wasn't particularly impressive. Same deal with Evans.
  • Kennedy-Harris was amazingly smooth, but seemed reluctant to have a crack at the poles the whole game and session as a whole.
  • Tyson looks a bit...bored. Barely sighted in the match.
  • Funny moment - Georgiou wrestled Hogan to the ground in the 50. Clear free kick, but Nicho and Gawn were really having a crack at the 'golden boy'.
  • Liked Fitzy's movement, sticky hands.
  • Nicho and McDonald still can't kick. TMac was very good in defence though.
  • Loving the look of Christian Salem and Jimmy Toumpas. Real smooth movers, expect big things from both when they get some more strength through the core.
  • Jones worked very hard, came through the forward line a bit from midfield.
  • Max King held his own in the ruck drill, Spencer and Gawn did alright. Jamar looks shorter every year.

Most disappointing thing for me was this, and it doesn't bode at all well for us. The decision making under pressure was shocking. Really bad. When there was pressure, anyway. At one point, Jetta had a kick in the defensive half and took about 30 seconds to get rid of it. Not one player pressured him, and every player that called for the ball was ignored before he kicked it to a contest. There's a reason Roosy "tempered expectations", boys. The lads are very fit, and some of the skills are better, but they look like the same old side in contested situations.

• Like 8

went to training today after tending to my parish, rather hot, best imo were toumpas, in everything, good skills by foot, Salem has great skills by foot as well, where he can hit targets and even lob it over the head of the opposition to find a team mate. Frawley was strong in defence, wouldn't let Howe get to close to it by punching the ball away, Vince was also a standout wearing his Melbourne cap as he ran around, a wonderful morning had by all, Viney doing laps at a fast rate, Clark and Garland watching proceedings, Tapscott getting regular rubdowns, Oh forgot to mention Alexis Georgiou, liked what I saw, good defender and will surely be a handy player for us, god bless ps there were 2 massive transport planes flying over head and casting shadows on the paddock, when I was there they must have flown over at least twice, could be a sign....

Went down today to have a look, training drills were good and skills were at a good level but as soon as we got into match simulation and there was some pressure applied they turned to pretty poor unfortunately.

Did notice a lot of switching the play out of defence but if our skills were at today's level we will find ourselves under extreme pressure.

I'm not going to reiterate everything said by fellow posters:

A few notes I took from the game were:

* TMac, Nicho and Grimes very poor disposal out of defence

* Michie and cross were good in close

* Frawley looked very very good in defence

* Tyson was good, problem was he wore Trengove's number 9 after 1/4 time as Trenners only played a quarter

* Hogan presented well even though it was not entirely going his way

* Toumpas and Salem best on in first half

* JKH impressed me most out of anyone today, exactly what where crying out for

All in all today was not all that impressive however, we all know it's going to take time under Roosy.

There were some very good signs from individuals but as a collective we have a lot of improvement to go!!!

• Like 6

Went down today to have a look, training drills were good and skills were at a good level but as soon as we got into match simulation and there was some pressure applied they turned to pretty poor unfortunately.

Did notice a lot of switching the play out of defence but if our skills were at today's level we will find ourselves under extreme pressure.

* Tyson was good, problem was he wore Trengove's number 9 after 1/4 time as Trenners only played a quarter

All in all today was not all that impressive however, we all know it's going to take time under Roosy.

There were some very good signs from individuals but as a collective we have a lot of improvement to go!!!

I was there for the first half TT5 and I pretty much agree with you.

I will say however that the mid field will be better than the last two years.

Now I know that is not saying much but I think we have improved in that area.

That should mean more forward entrees and hopefully more scoring.

I think we have to remember this is I think only the second real Game under Roos.

Patience is in order for 2014

• Like 2

another thing cam Pederson needs a different nickname/callsign. At the moment everyone yells out Pedo Pedo, not real comfortable with that, some might argue that because of some past indiscretions I am a little sensitive however I believe Cam Cam would be much better, I am being serious, also did anyone notice the lack of handball, we seem to be more intent to switch and setup, the yarra looked wonderful today

• Like 4

First time I have been to training this pre-season, here are some thoughts on the less well known players:

Hogan will play Rd 1 and be that pysical presence we have needed since Neitz. This is unquestionably a classic example of the combined unit of Hogan, Dawes and Clarke being greater than the sum of the parts.

Salem physically not as small as I thought. I expected something like the 2013 version of Toumpas but has a bit more weight and fitness than Jimmy had at the same time last year. Obviously needed more pre-seasons but you can see that he has class. Will debut second half of season.

Toumpas kick something like 4 goals but with due respect was on Westrup. But he is ready this season to play AFL. Has undoubted class and will be a handy fwd/mid.

Viney only ran laps but will be there Rd 1. He doesnt need match practice anyway, its all instinct.

Tyson may only be 20yrs old but looks and acts like seasoned pro. Didnt do a lot but pros dont in scratch matches. Definite starter Rd. 1. Again has class.

Clisby Same as last season, good value.

Kent I was thinking he was going to be very under done but has speed, hardness and a footy brain, he is at least one of the small fwds this year.

Blease did what Blease does.

Cross Gee Im glad hes playing for us, we need mature heads in such a young side, very fit, very seasoned mid.

Michie Strong, but not fast, I want to believe he has that great footy brain, but didnt see it today. Sure he has a mature frame, but if him and Tapscott were horses in the mounting yard, Tappy looks like a throughbred, Michie looks by comparison like he might win at Cranbourne.

Vince Yes, quality on-baller, sure wont give the thrills that Sylvia could deliver sporadically, but much better value. Will clock up possession, knows how to play and is obviously a good character to have around the place.

JKH Got real skill, pretty quick but only lightly built and that means you have to be exceptional to play AFL. I wish him the best has more upside than say, Magner, Couch or at this stage Barry.

Hunt was not there.

Riley ran laps with Viney, again mature body but needs a lot more miles in the legs. But kicked and ran freely, could debut later in the year.

Evans body right, not without a footy brain could fill a mid role.

Barry not there yet, it is easy to get seduced by his free running style, but doesnt get the ball, doesnt create.

Gawn third in line behind Jamar and Pencil.

Spencer Big, real big and very fit. Awkward style masks an acceptable level of skill.

Matt Jones I thought he might struggle to get a game this year, but he is fit, can get the ball and knows how to use it.

Fitzpatrick we know how quick he is and I really think in a forward line where he may be the third tall he coul be good value.

Georgiou Clearly see why we got him, he would do a competent job as a third tall in defence. But is obviously behind Chip, MacDonald, Garland and Dunne.

Harmes Just ok, looks competent.

King very good. He clearly needs to mature physically, but he is just not tall, he has skill and can play the game.

Game style:

It seems to me its essentially the Hawthorn model. Keep possession until the centre then attack. Great in theory, but you need good kicking skills, a team well drilled enough to create those little pockets of space coming out of the back line and patience and nerve to hold on to the footy. It should work, but inevitably the really good sides will pressure so much that it may well fall apart on occasions.

• Like 6

My quick report

There is a gastro bug going through the Club.......Watts and Hunt missing today, Trengove had to leave, didn't play in the game, Jetta suffering so pulled out hallf way through....asked Nev, said quite a few had had it

Best for me today....Toumpas, Cross, Vince, Jones x 2, Pedersen, Strauss, Grimes (in 38) Tyson (he played in nr 9 most of the game) Frawley, Michie

Good to see Don McLardy at training, got a warm reception from all

Other observations, JKH found out what is was like to play against men today, Westrupp has improved out of sight, took an excellend mark in defence, Harmes is very raw but didn't look out of place

On my other two reports, Bail was solid without standing out, same with Byrnes

Spoke to James Strauss, he is finally injury free, feeling really good, up close he is really solid, he was walking with Howie who pumped up his tyres, said it was nice leading onto 'missiles'

Spoke to Bernie Vince, not about cricket, said he had enjoyed blowing the cobwebs away, enjoying the role Roos' wants him to play

Spoke to Jordie McKenzie, yes he was told to work on his kicking, needs to be more versatlie, looking forward to the battle for midfield places

• Like 4

Our skill level will see us cough up some easy transition goals this year until we get some polish coming out of defence potentially.

I was there for the first half TT5 and I pretty much agree with you.

I will say however that the mid field will be better than the last two years.

Now I know that is not saying much but I think we have improved in that area.

That should mean more forward entrees and hopefully more scoring.

I think we have to remember this is I think only the second real Game under Roos.

Patience is in order for 2014

Absolutely agree that our midfield will improve this year, I thought Tyson, cross and Michie were good today.

You have got to remember an intra club is what it is and your splitting your team up once we have our best team on the field we will be quite competitive, + we had some handy players on the sidelines and also spoke to Dan McPherson who said a few were still on modified programs.

with all that said I don't think we will improve and rapidly move up the ladder like port did last year. Which I'm not expecting

Patience is definitely needed but it will start to turn, as I believe there is a core group of players with something to work with here

• Like 2

• Strauss was really poor, kicked it on the full to noone from 50 which had everyone groaning.
  • Michie didn't get enough of the ball for me, maybe got it 2 or 3 times and wasn't particularly impressive. Same deal with Evans.

Was happy with Michie, thought he was one of the best - got a bit of his own ball, and we could do with that.

Thought that Strauss was OK, and in the mix for Rd 1.

Not much comment here on Jordie, but he was in everything, and would expect Roos to like the way he goes about things.

• Like 3

The funniest thing of the morning was when Jesse Hogan inadvertently whacked into Paul Roos who was trying to show him correct body positioning in a pre-training drill and Roosy went down like a spud - at first I thought he got him in cods but length of time Roosy was on ground or keeled over suggested in the ribs. Hogan was very apologetic at time.

Was there a link to the fact that he was selected in the the clearly inferior Blue team and just wanted to make a point to the old fella?

Doubtful, but there's no doubt Roosy will remember him come selection this week.

What was impressive is that the guys trained for nearly 80 minutes before the scratch match got underway - all up they got a very long session.

Viney and Dawes did the early drills but did not play while Wattsy had gastro. Tappy did sprints away from main group.

A few notes on game:

The white side had virtually Roosy's entire top midfield and were really only not allowed five players who you would think would be in the ones next Friday - Howe, Spencer, Hogan, T-Mac and Dunn.

The two surprise players who got a crack at defence in the so-callled ones were Georgiou, who played on Hogan, and Nicho, who played on Kent most of the time.

Georgiou actually did OK and linked up well with Chipper and Grimes.

Nicho, for those of you who love to bag him on this medium, had a very ordinary morning - a shocking entry into the forward line and caught badly by Kent on a couple of occasions. Given I'm not a Nicho basher and liked his game on Griffo last year, I had him pencilled in as being our tag man for Jack Steven in Rd 1, but it's fair to say he blew it badly. I now think Bail or Jordie will get the tagger role in Rd 1 - but that's still a long way off with three games to play before then.

Two key things that I don't think have been mentioned yet.

1) Blease got a nice intercept in second term and was about to run on to the ball and have a big chance of scoring when Roosy stepped in and gave the ball to the defensive side - think it was Salem.

Why he chose to pick on Bleasey is interesting, especially given this thread always bags him for selfishness and lack of fitness. But it would appear Roosy also picks on Bleasey too. I would suggest he's trying to make him really earn his spot the hard way.

Certainly Blease and Kent were the only two livewire presences on the blue side today and the only ones other than five who I have mentioned already, who would be likely to make the cut for the Richmond game.

2) Roosy wanted Howey to get more ball so sent him to FF, swapping with Grimesy early in third term. Quite obviously Howey will be starting as a key forward on Friday. Significantly he did not allow Hogan any such luxury of a switch late in the game - maybe he was still reeling form the bump to the ribs!

I could go on about game and people have already gone on about Salem's first term today. While I doubt it will change Roosy's plans for bringing Salem into the seniors in a hurry, it may have given Roosy at least cause to think that a debut about Rd 5, rather than Rd 15, may be appropriate if shows his skills at Casey early.

But based on what I saw, our likely 24 (I think that's right number for NAB challenge) is as follows:

Midfielders: N.Jones, Cross, Vince, Tyson, Watts, Bail, Toumpas

Defenders: Frawley, T-Mac, Grimes, Dunn, Georgiou, Terlich (who just pips Strauss and Clisby)

Tall Forwards: Howe, Hogan, Pederson

Small forwards: Kent, Blease and hopefully JKH

Rucks: Spencil and Gawn

Assuming fit add Trenners, Fitzy and Viney (he will be into Roosy this week I'm sure).

But I suspect three extras will be Michie, Strauss and M.Jones.

Definitely out injured: Garland, Dawes, Clark.

• Like 2

Phew, finally someone I agree with. Mind you, I only saw quarters 2 and 3.

Someone said Mitchie got 2-3 touches. I saw at least 10.

I love what JKH brings. We have no other player like him and he looked right at home. I have him as kicking 3.

I also liked Tyson's poise and movement through traffic. Dropped a mark he shouldn't have and turned it over a couple of times, but the class is evident.

I knew people would rave about Toumpas, but I have very low expectations of him this year. He's just so frail and weak looking over the footy. He needs to be out wide where he can link play and kick a goal. Salem looks FAR better. Salem is going to be a beauty. To think Stevethemanjordan (or whatever it is) says he's an ectomorph. He's already got a terrific frame.