Season 1992 - what went wrong?

Bring-Back-Powell

Always wondered what went wrong in 1992 given we'd played finals footy from 1987-1991.

We certainly had the talent in the side. Bennett, Jakovich and Lovell up front. Viney, Tingay, Stynes, the Lovetts

Febeys and Obst formed a quality midfield.

The season started promising enough with a good 2 goal win over grand finalist Geelong at the MCG. However the next week supporters started smelling a rat with a 9 point loss to Adelaide on a very hot Sunday arvo at Princes Park (the first of many home games there) when we were heavy favourites.

After that the season went on a downward spiral. We put in a shocker against Celler dweller Richmond, then spanked by the Pies on the holiday Monday and blew that infamous 48 point lead to Essendon at the G. If that wasn't bad enough the boys could only muster a draw Vs wooden spooner Sydney. The season was shot at 1-4-1.

Following a couple of beltings at Waverley (hawks and blues) the boys finally had a breakthrough win over North on a wet Saturday at the G. After that the dees picked up their form and won 5 of their last 12 games. Highlights included a win in Adelaide and a magnifinent thrilling triumph at Vic Park.

However overall, a 7-14-1 season was considered a poor result given our success of the previous 5 years. It was pretty much the start of a very mediocre 1990s for the club.

So my questions for the older scribes here:

Basically what went wrong?

Were we highly fancied going into the year? Eg. grand final chance

Did we not have the list to play finals?

Had Northey run his course?

Keen to read your thoughts on 1992.

I remember walking past the "vault" at one point in time during that season and I overhead some very disturbing comments followed by a great deal of laughter.

Whatever anyone does, please do not pass the above on to Caroline Wilson as otherwise, we're cactus.

My big moment in that season came in round 10 when Sean Charles made his debut a few days after turning 17. He kicked five goals on an incredible day when North kicked 8 straight goals in the first quarter. We overtook them and finished up winning by six goals.

I humbly take a little bit of credit for Sean. I first saw him play under 10's for Carnegie and he was easily the best player in their side, often playing two games for his club each weekend. My son often played against him and they were involved in some great duels. I still have the best and fairest voting card from one game where my son got the three votes to Sean's two and my son's best mate got the one vote.

When the boys were at under 15 level, they were invited to some trial games for St. Kilda. I knew that we lived in the Saints' zone but also that Sean was zoned to Melbourne. I made a discreet call to one of the coaches in our junior competition and Sean ended up at Melbourne.

He really showed his class in the 1994 finals when still a teenager. I believe we handled his wrist injury very badly and he never lived up to his enormous potential. He was transferred to Carlton where he broke a leg in his first game and ironically, ended his career at St. Kilda.

Jack...about Sean Charles' broken wrist.

Apparently he suffered the well recognised complication of a fractured scaphoid , developing a non- united fracture with avascular necrosis.

I'm told he had a bone graft ,which is often successful, but he got his plaster wet swimming in a river, and didn't report back to have it replaced. In other words, patient compliance was sub-optimal.

Fractured scaphoids are often missed, since the initial X-ray can be equivocal. However I don't think this was the case with Sean.

I can't recall the source of this info, but it made sense to me.

Ps. I thought he was recruited from Powell Town.

My memory of 92 was that we had dumped Strawbs O'Dwyer and the Baron, Earl Spalding for our loss in the 91 final against WC. We were then short of talls and had to draft in Moose Henwood to cover our KP problems down back. Jimmy probably had a downer after his Brownlow year and we lost Jackovich, Tingay to injury. Bennett and Cuthbertson were spent forces up forward and I think Rodney G got himself suspended for most of the season after belting Wallace. But I may be wrong.

I also think Northy was losing his impact on the players. I'm sure I can remember him going ballistic on radio after a loss about Jackovich taking the easy options, I think he had kicked 3 or 4. I am sure the criticism was justified but as a coach you keep it in house unless you think your messages aren't cutting through.

I still believe we should have snaffled a premiership between 1990 to 2000. We had some amazing talent in that decade but Shyte training facilities and horrible luck with injuries, eg the Ox, Tingay, Charles, Glenn Lovett the list is long.

My memory of 92 was that we had dumped Strawbs O'Dwyer and the Baron, Earl Spalding for our loss in the 91 final against WC. We were then short of talls and had to draft in Moose Henwood to cover our KP problems down back. Jimmy probably had a downer after his Brownlow year and we lost Jackovich, Tingay to injury. Bennett and Cuthbertson were spent forces up forward and I think Rodney G got himself suspended for most of the season after belting Wallace. But I may be wrong.

I also think Northy was losing his impact on the players. I'm sure I can remember him going ballistic on radio after a loss about Jackovich taking the easy options, I think he had kicked 3 or 4. I am sure the criticism was justified but as a coach you keep it in house unless you think your messages aren't cutting through.

I still believe we should have snaffled a premiership between 1990 to 2000. We had some amazing talent in that decade but Shyte training facilities and horrible luck with injuries, eg the Ox, Tingay, Charles, Glenn Lovett the list is long.

I still believe If The Ox didn't have his knee problems we would have pinched a GF during the 90's

Jack...about Sean Charles' broken wrist.

Apparently he suffered the well recognised complication of a fractured scaphoid , developing a non- united fracture with avascular necrosis.

I'm told he had a bone graft ,which is often successful, but he got his plaster wet swimming in a river, and didn't report back to have it replaced. In other words, patient compliance was sub-optimal.

Fractured scaphoids are often missed, since the initial X-ray can be equivocal. However I don't think this was the case with Sean.

I can't recall the source of this info, but it made sense to me.

Ps. I thought he was recruited from Powell Town.

Two points:-

• Sean played his junior footy at Carnegie (colours red & blue and now defunct) but at some stage may have moved to Powelltown or one of his parents only lived there.

• Sean incurred his wrist injury in an pre season cup night match v the Eagles. He hurt it early in the game, came off in agony and from the look of the way the wrist was hanging limply, I thought it was broken (but I'm not a medic so what would I know). He came back onto the ground, went off again and later it was revealed that he had the fracture. Based on that I thought it was a bad move to put him back on the ground. Yes, later the wound was infected while he went swimming in a river but my understanding was that he received no advice or warnings about what to do with the injury during rehab.

Nice summary that reasonably matches my recollection.

My impression at the time was that John Northy was a fire and brimstone style coach who was very effective at creating a feeling in the team that they had their backs to the wall. This was super-effective at the the start on his tenure but starting to wear thin after 7 years.

The departures that you mention we're not such a great loss. Strawbs was a shadow of the player he was in 1987. Hot-Dot Spalding was a player whose disposal left you with your heart in your mouth but, anyway, I thought that he initiated the departure; that said, I got it very wrong when I pronounced that he would never play in a premiership team, (and I still don't know how Carlton won in 95). Stinger was a big loss, and Jacker could have been anything if his work ethic matched his brother's.

Finally, Melbourne was barely competitive in the finals in 1990 and 1991, which reinforced my perception that Northy was already beginning to lose the players.

Would love to hear the thoughts of some of the players from that era.

1990 we were very competitive. Having to beat Hawthorn twice in 2 weeks emptied the tank sadly.

I had high hopes in 1990 after winning the elimination final against Hawthorn; we unexpectedly had a week off after the Eagles and Collingwood drew their final. Despite the week off, we were limp in the WCE final in Melbourne - a worrying sign in hindsight.

My impression at the time was that John Northy was a fire and brimstone style coach who was very effective at creating a feeling in the team that they had their backs to the wall. This was super-effective at the the start on his tenure but starting to wear thin after 7 years.

The departures that you mention we're not such a great loss. Strawbs was a shadow of the player he was in 1987. Hot-Dot Spalding was a player whose disposal left you with your heart in your mouth but, anyway, I thought that he initiated the departure; that said, I got it very wrong when I pronounced that he would never play in a premiership team, (and I still don't know how Carlton won in 95). Stinger was a big loss, and Jacker could have been anything if his work ethic matched his brother's.

Finally, Melbourne was barely competitive in the finals in 1990 and 1991, which reinforced my perception that Northy was already beginning to lose the players.

Would love to hear the thoughts of some of the players from that era.

Traja I think you are right about the Baron, he did ask for a transfer but I believed at the time this was because he was coping the brunt for the loss to WC and didnt like it. I believe he played that game with a broken hand.

And yes he went on to play in a premiership in 95 and how did that happen? We had belted them by 10 goals the year before in that 94 final but lost again to WC but over there. After that injuries destroyed us yet again, familiar story.

There were some saving graces to 1992. We did knock Collingwood off at Victoria Park late in the season, and a Maggie mate still reckons we cost them a real shot at the flag that year by turning a gimme game into a loss. And what a good win it was - Jakovich was dragged for indisciplined play early, to the great gloating of the home team crowd, but came back and finished with a cool 7.5. It's an enjoyable game to watch if you can get hold of it. A young, head-banded D. Schwarz snagged 3 Brownlow votes. Special highlight is seeing Daicos kick the "winning" goal late in the last, with the Collingwood members in ecstasy, only to look around to see G. Lyon taking a free kick at full back for a push in the back by a shepherding opponent.

As for the title of the thread, probably true that the Northey approach had run its course, and Balme bought a more skill-focussed possession game that matured into a pretty good outfit by 1994, particularly with the addition of some players, and the maturing of some of the younger ones, such as the Ox.

On a slightly different note, looking back at the stats on that period took me to a Melbourne/Carlton game in 1988 where we beat them at Waverley (6 wins all up that year against Carlton and Collingwood alone!), and S. Febey was given the 2 Brownlow votes for a 4-possession game. Wow, they must have been classy those 4 kicks. And the umpires didn't have the mistaken identity excuse, as his twin brother didn't play. Must be something about Melbourne/Carlton games, as a couple of years later the OPSM-sponsored contingent couldn't find a vote for G. Williams in a dominant 44-possession display at Princes Park, and that cost him a Brownlow.

I thought the 1992 AFL season was fantastic as it end with a Premiership for my team!

Wait, back then I was a West Coast Supporter.

Oh well, noone is perfect.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought the 1992 AFL season was fantastic as it end with a Premiership for my team!

Wait, back then I was a West Coast Supporter.

Oh well, noone is perfect.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DF, what caused you to convert to the true faith? I bet it has done your head in in recent times.

Have you considered the other possibility put forward by some analysts (but which I don't subscribe to) that it was bound to happen anyway because it's all cyclical?

There were some saving graces to 1992. We did knock Collingwood off at Victoria Park late in the season, and a Maggie mate still reckons we cost them a real shot at the flag that year by turning a gimme game into a loss. And what a good win it was - Jakovich was dragged for indisciplined play early, to the great gloating of the home team crowd, but came back and finished with a cool 7.5. It's an enjoyable game to watch if you can get hold of it. A young, head-banded D. Schwarz snagged 3 Brownlow votes. Special highlight is seeing Daicos kick the "winning" goal late in the last, with the Collingwood members in ecstasy, only to look around to see G. Lyon taking a free kick at full back for a push in the back by a shepherding opponent.

One of the most enjoyable games i have had the pleasure of attending. Arrived late, just as the game was about to start. As anyone who had been to a packed Vic Park could tell you this would ordinarily mean standing way back at the top of the slope, crushed in a sea of maggie fans and not being able to see anything. Fortunately there was one of those old tables right at the back/top of the slope (used by food sellers or the like) that wasn't being used. My mate and i stood on it and had a completely unhindered, terrific view of the ground (from the kew end, looking toward hoddle street) and space around us. Good access to the bar made it the perfect spot.

No one asked us to get down either (we were right at the back/top and not blocking any one's view) - in today's over regulated world of trumped up mickey mouse security you'd be told to get down in a flash.

An awesome, pulsating game that by rights we shouldn't have won. Jaka and Schwarz were awesome. Both had total x factor. One of Jaka's goals right below us from the boundary was outstanding as was his celebration.

At the end of the game out of there in a flash and off to celebrate a great win.

Am i right in thinking that was Collingwood's last game at Vic park?It was certainly our last game there.

Filth last played at Vic Park in 1999. It was our last sojourn out there.

Like you i was lucky enough to be there.

Was pretty rough leaving the ground though. The locals were angry!!

Haha, I was 10 at the time and went with my dad and my uncle (who is a Pies supporter) and his mate (a Demons supporter). On the way out of the ground I wouldn't stop singing "It's a Grand Old Flag" all the way back to Hoddle Street - I think my dad was pretty nervous but none of the Maggies supporters said anything to us.

Haha, I was 10 at the time and went with my dad and my uncle (who is a Pies supporter) and his mate (a Demons supporter). On the way out of the ground I wouldn't stop singing "It's a Grand Old Flag" all the way back to Hoddle Street - I think my dad was pretty nervous but none of the Maggies supporters said anything to us.

Was one of the most enjoyable days i have ever had at the Footy. I even bought the VHS Tape!!

That and Windy Hill 1990. Both come from behind wins. Most satisfying they were.

Allen Jakovich & Darren Bennett.

Power forwards.

Edited by why you little

I missed that Windy Hill game as my dad didn't go (think he was expecting to get done) so went to Hawthorn v Richmond at the G instead with my cousin. Spent the last quarter watching the scoreboard updates for our game and have watched the replay a hundred times (mainly in my youth) - "Bennett used Van Der Haar like a stepladder!"

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

Ian Robertson commentated that game beautifully...

Ah.....Sandy Roberts and Ian Robinson ....great commentators....much better than the would be comedians that try to commentate this day and age.....

DF, what caused you to convert to the true faith? I bet it has done your head in in recent times.

How could I not support the mighty blue and red ?

The wait just makes it more special.

Go the DEES