2014 AFL Free Agents - Who do you like?

ignition.

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi all, it is a little early although this article hit the AFL site today.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-12-11/the-big-free-agency-targets-in-2014

After waiting a few hours for the thread to pop up I have decided to start it (apologies if there is a pre-existing similar thread).

EDIT: Some ripper choices, I'm a big fan of Goldy as a ruck and like the usual mids like Murphy and Boak. I also like a couple of the half backs like Ibbo and Hurn.

Edited by ignition.

I like Frawley...

Just a heads up - in the event we lose Frawley - we would be very unlikely to go after a FA unless they are the top tier like Murphy, Boak, et al.

The reason is that Frawley will net the pick after our first round pick, which will be very close to the top of the order. Signing a FA will dilute that pick.

I like Frawley...

Just a heads up - in the event we lose Frawley - we would be very unlikely to go after a FA unless they are the top tier like Murphy, Boak, et al.

The reason is that Frawley will net the pick after our first round pick, which will be very close to the top of the order. Signing a FA will dilute that pick.

Frawley, Frawley & Frawley, re-sign him at all costs!! At least if we do lose him there's a few potential (although not as good) replacements on that list (Jamison, Reid, Goldsack).

Keep Frawley & I wouldn't mind picking up a Hurn, Swan or Mundy on the side..... If none of our rucks come on this year & stamp themselves as genuinely great 1st choice options then Minson & Goldstein would be nice (although highly unlikely to leave their current gigs).

Murphy or Boak would be nice.

My favourite is Mundy though - would be a perfect fit for our midfield, and he was a Dees supporter incidentally as well.

This doesn't count for much...if he decides to leave Freo it will be for money, and he will go to whoever offers him the most.

I reckon that if we lose Frawley it will set us back a few years...full backs of his calibre don't grow on trees; I don't remember the last one the Dees had before him. Resigning him is a MUST.

Of those, Murphy and Boak by a considerable margin, for needs, age, and sheer ability.

But yes, keeping Frawley is more important than gaining any of them. And I'm quietly confident he will stay with us, too.

I would be very interested to see how the value-for-money side of things turns out. Obviously Smurf and Boak would come at a premium, while Ibbotson might be a better 'purchase' when it's time for the end of year saleyard.

If Frawley leaves, I'll be furious with him.

For someone of his capabilities and age, his onfield leadership as an observer from the last couple of years has been very disappointing in my eyes. As a FB he is no doubt one of the best in the league, but when it comes to leadership, playing for the jumper, flying the flag, barking instructions etc, I see absolutely zilch. He cuts an extremely intimidating figure, yet he plays for himself and doesn't intimidate anyone.

If he had the drive, he could be an unbelievable key back but he's happy to be just 'one of the boys' and be another 'footballer'.

I fear he lacks a bit up top to understand this.

He is a player that could grab our side or at least the back six and say 'come with me'. Just like Harley did at the Cats.

I'm sure many will disagree, but Frawley needs to offer a whole lot more to our side next year.

If Frawley leaves, I'll be furious with him.

For someone of his capabilities and age, his onfield leadership as an observer from the last couple of years has been very disappointing in my eyes. As a FB he is no doubt one of the best in the league, but when it comes to leadership, playing for the jumper, flying the flag, barking instructions etc, I see absolutely zilch. He cuts an extremely intimidating figure, yet he plays for himself and doesn't intimidate anyone.

If he had the drive, he could be an unbelievable key back but he's happy to be just 'one of the boys' and be another 'footballer'.

I fear he lacks a bit up top to understand this.

He is a player that could grab our side or at least the back six and say 'come with me'. Just like Harley did at the Cats.

I'm sure many will disagree, but Frawley needs to offer a whole lot more to our side next year.

I am hoping that this speculation and fear-mongering about Frawley is just that, especially after he maintained that he had 'red and blue blood in his viens' and the Club announced back in June the following Headline (link attached): Frawley keen to stay loyal to Demons

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2013-06-11/frawley-keen-to-stay-loyal-to-demons

This doesn't count for much...if he decides to leave Freo it will be for money, and he will go to whoever offers him the most.

I reckon that if we lose Frawley it will set us back a few years...full backs of his calibre don't grow on trees; I don't remember the last one the Dees had before him. Resigning him is a MUST.

I agree - hence my use of the term 'incidentally'.

I believe we've had a crack at him previously actually, and he's cemented in the best midfield in the comp so, yes, it would take a fair lump of moolah to prize him away I reckon.

Agree on Frawley as well - god I hope he doesn't walk.

Edited by Demon 16

I think Frawley will stay. He'd be bloody mad to leave. Despite not knowing anything about his situation, I reckon he loves the club.

I also reckon our club will show signs of being quite a cool destination for players from 2014 onwards - for the first time in 50 years.

Get Mundy.

Why would he be mad to leave? after the past woeful 7 years you can't blame him.

One of Frawleys best mates played footy up my way this year and I know for a fact he was quite disgruntle at the club and the way it was heading during the Neeld era. He regretted signing that 4 year deal back in 2010. The rumours of him asking for a trade to St Kilda at the end of 2012 are 100% true. Was a massive saints supporter growing up and still has a soft spot for them now. But was told he had to honour his contract. Hawthorn, Gold Coast, Saints and Geelong had discussions with his manager this year in attempt to gear him up for next year's Free Agency. I do know aswell Frawley was rapt to have Roos on board and if we improve massively next year I can see him staying for sure.

I haven't talked to his mate since footy season as he was only travelling up on weekends to play but next year if we don't improve its Bye Bye Frawley .. We need to pull a port Adelaide and start winning some big games. Clubs are lining up for his service.

Chip loves the club but money wont be the factor as he probably knows Melbourne can pay him well and so they should. It will all come down to on field improvement.

Well, if history is a guide he will either have already signed elsewhere or won't sign anywhere (clubs are not allowed to talk to other players outside of October) until the FA/Trade period.

I hope he hasn't signed elsewhere of course, but if he does leave, it is better for our planning that he tell us he has already signed...

Well, if history is a guide he will either have already signed elsewhere or won't sign anywhere (clubs are not allowed to talk to other players outside of October) until the FA/Trade period.

I hope he hasn't signed elsewhere of course, but if he does leave, it is better for our planning that he tell us he has already signed...

I thought he was a restricted free agent.

That being the case he can only leave if the MFC don't match an offer from another club.

The question is "Is he restricted "

Edited by old dee

I thought he was a restricted free agent.

That being the case he can only leave if the MFC don't match an offer from another club.

The question is "Is he restricted "

That may be your question, but it is not the last question.

The answer is yes. But the next questions are; do we meet his contract? And if so, does he enter the draft?

In the NBA - if a team 'meets' the salary for a RFA - that contract is immediately enacted.

That is not the case for the AFL.

That may be your question, but it is not the last question.

The answer is yes. But the next questions are; do we meet his contract? And if so, does he enter the draft?

In the NBA - if a team 'meets' the salary for a RFA - that contract is immediately enacted.

That is not the case for the AFL.

You are correct, My point is I guess he is not like Silva who can just walk out the door.

I like Frawley...

I thought they had decided to scrap compo picks for lost FAs next year???

I hope they remove compo for losing an Unrestricted free-agent, but for losing a restricted I'd hope it'll still remain. The same policy applies in the NFL and works well.

I hope they remove compo for losing an Unrestricted free-agent, but for losing a restricted I'd hope it'll still remain. The same policy applies in the NFL and works well.

There has been no official movement on that.

And, Arrow, the reports were based around UFA. And I agree that UFA should be exempt from the compensation model. They involve 28+ year olds or 26+ fringe players.

Clubs need to be compensated for losing their best players in their prime, and they should be compenstaed relative to their ladder position as a measure of equality.

RFA has never been a part of that discussion.

But, again, there has been no official movement in that at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I am hoping that this speculation and fear-mongering about Frawley is just that, especially after he maintained that he had 'red and blue blood in his viens' and the Club announced back in June the following Headline (link attached): Frawley keen to stay loyal to Demons

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2013-06-11/frawley-keen-to-stay-loyal-to-demons

If he had red and blue running through his veins he would've already extended, Hes headed to the Hawks.