Aaron Davey joins Toiges

Roger Mellie

Good luck Aaron, got to feed that brood of yours somehow huh!!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-12-03/davey-now-a-tiger

Joining the tigs in an assistant coaching, playing, mentoring for their (now) stand alone VFL team.

Not I bad move. The toiges have a second to none record of appalling aboriginal player management/development.

Yep and he now takes all of our our "excellant " experience with him.Liam says hello !

I am surprised we did not find this sought of role for him but a stint with another club may be the best for his development. Then we bring him back to oversee our indigenous boys down the track.

Our record with indigenous players is patchy unfortunately. If only Wonna had stayed and Liam had stayed injury free we would have been a better forward line at least!

WTF? Liam got to and played at the highest level?

His issues were, not only unique, but hardly down to the MFC.

Quite different to Richmond eg Relton Roberts and Troy Taylor

Not to mention the fact that the MFC supported him through his troubles and continue to provide ongoing support.

Edited by hardtack

Although do you remember that scurrilous AFL.com article by an anonymous somebody inferring that Liam first learnt to drink on our tour to China in 2010. It was published when he was having his violence problems and when MFC were being beaten around for the tanking accusations.

Absolutely a case of the AFL putting the boot in when we were down. Why the MFC did not protest I don't know. To me it was a cheap, unsubstantiated shot at us and Liam.

Steady on it's your thread inviting comment. I thought Flash was the mentor in Liam's days !

I further thought he was invited to retire to take up an indegenouse mentoring role at his club ?

Good luck Flash, get the experience and bring the boys home .

I hope flash stays in shape so he can play well at VFL level and get through the year unscathed.

Anyway the Tigers have an indigenous centre as part of their renovations at punt road and had to tell Shane Edwards he was even indigenous to get the funding. Talk about government expenditure on that. But it sounds like Aaron could put it to work.

Here we go with the BS revisionism again -oh yeah what a a friggin hero, takes a six year contract , doesn't get a kick for the last five, allegedly the 'father' of the group of indigenous players at the club - wonaeaemirri, jurrah, bennell, jetta great work there aaron, we really got a massive return from that group. Jurrah was without a doubt the best natural footballer i have ever seen. What role did you have in preventing him from [censored] his entire life up? Weren't you supposed to be the main guy behind that? WTF were you when he boarded a plane home to take a machete to a family member? There is nobody more responsible for that than you, oh yeah they said, he comes from a challenging background, but he has Davey at the club to help him through... and he obviously had no impact whatsoever on Jurrah or any of the other indigenous boys. Not to mention he went from being our best player to a fringe player in a wooden spoon side the moment the ink was dry. Great player for his first 4-5 years but after that just another leaking wound of our damaged club. Davey - another melbourne footy club hero, another Miller, another Bruce, another Jamar, another pretender racking up games and doing nothing with them. These guys are the reason we have been a laughing stock of a club for a decade.This is what we had to offer when draftees came to the club - their opponents had Voss, Buckley, Riccutio, Carey, Hird etc we had excuses like this. Please God can Roosy bring the era of some blokes of real character, blokes that want to win games of football, instead of worrying about getting hurt, not blokes that will drop their heads when tagged and never touch the footy again. FCS Davey, he got a bunch of kicks and had some influence off half-back fo0r what? half a season? then they all locked him down and it was like having a friggin ghost out there! If ever there was a personification of the MFC [censored] stereotype it was Aaron Davey. Good riddance.

Good luck to Aaron. He's embarking in the next phase of his football journey and, unlike C & B, I salute him for his contribution to the club. I note that he has one more Bluey Truscott Memorial Trophy at home in his cabinet than most posters on Demonland.

There's no doubt that Aaron's career took a turn for the worst when he broke his foot in that fateful game against Hawthorn late in 2010 that robbed him of his greatest asset - his pace. We rarely saw him at his best after that and he was later embroiled in that awful controversy involving the Mifsud/Neeld racism allegations which, like many of the AFL's fiascos, was never satisfactorily resolved. He saw out the season and his contract with a patchy year in 2013 in which he showed some glimpses of his past self and I think both he and the club handled his final year well.

The venture at Richmond VFL sounds interesting and just to add to the interest is the suggestion made overnight on twitter that Austin Wonaemirri could be joining him.

Here we go with the BS revisionism again -oh yeah what a a friggin hero, takes a six year contract , doesn't get a kick for the last five, allegedly the 'father' of the group of indigenous players at the club - wonaeaemirri, jurrah, bennell, jetta great work there aaron, we really got a massive return from that group. Jurrah was without a doubt the best natural footballer i have ever seen. What role did you have in preventing him from [censored] his entire life up? Weren't you supposed to be the main guy behind that? WTF were you when he boarded a plane home to take a machete to a family member? There is nobody more responsible for that than you, oh yeah they said, he comes from a challenging background, but he has Davey at the club to help him through... and he obviously had no impact whatsoever on Jurrah or any of the other indigenous boys. Not to mention he went from being our best player to a fringe player in a wooden spoon side the moment the ink was dry. Great player for his first 4-5 years but after that just another leaking wound of our damaged club. Davey - another melbourne footy club hero, another Miller, another Bruce, another Jamar, another pretender racking up games and doing nothing with them. These guys are the reason we have been a laughing stock of a club for a decade.This is what we had to offer when draftees came to the club - their opponents had Voss, Buckley, Riccutio, Carey, Hird etc we had excuses like this. Please God can Roosy bring the era of some blokes of real character, blokes that want to win games of football, instead of worrying about getting hurt, not blokes that will drop their heads when tagged and never touch the footy again. FCS Davey, he got a bunch of kicks and had some influence off half-back fo0r what? half a season? then they all locked him down and it was like having a friggin ghost out there! If ever there was a personification of the MFC [censored] stereotype it was Aaron Davey. Good riddance.

C&B stop beating about the bush! Tell us what you really think.

Great rant.

Good luck to Aaron. He's embarking in the next phase of his football journey and, unlike C & B, I salute him for his contribution to the club. I note that he has one more Bluey Truscott Memorial Trophy at home in his cabinet than most posters on Demonland.

There's no doubt that Aaron's career took a turn for the worst when he broke his foot in that fateful game against Hawthorn late in 2010 that robbed him of his greatest asset - his pace. We rarely saw him at his best after that and he was later embroiled in that awful controversy involving the Mifsud/Neeld racism allegations which, like many of the AFL's fiascos, was never satisfactorily resolved. He saw out the season and his contract with a patchy year in 2013 in which he showed some glimpses of his past self and I think both he and the club handled his final year well.

The venture at Richmond VFL sounds interesting and just to add to the interest is the suggestion made overnight on twitter that Austin Wonaemirri could be joining him.

LIKE.

Good luck Flash. A terriffic contribution to the club.

I am surprised we did not find this sought of role for him but a stint with another club may be the best for his development. Then we bring him back to oversee our indigenous boys down the track.

Our record with indigenous players is patchy unfortunately. If only Wonna had stayed and Liam had stayed injury free we would have been a better forward line at least!

Well he was there mentoring blokes like Jurrah and Wonna and things still went pear shaped.

I think its the right thing for him to move on, at his prime he was great to watch and a great servant of the club, but I don't see him as a great coach. the opposition got under his skin and could defeat him too easily at times, and unfortunately was typical of our yo yo fortunes at the times he played. hard to gain respect when players know that.

dedicated for an aboriginal player but he was never a great leader once on the field.

A bit harsh.

There is some of your post that I agree with and some I think is way off base

- he is not responsible in any way shape or form for Liam or any of the other indigenous boys troubles, output etc. Each person is responsible for their own actions and to say that nobody is more responsible for Jurrah is a nonsense. You can mentor someone all you like but the person is still responsible for their own actions. Davey was mentoring the younger indigenous players - he was not their 24/7 minders.

- Aarons first seasons at the club were exciting ..actually they were exhilarating

- We had a few players that took their contract negotiations to a knifes edge and held us somewhat to ransom and Aaron in his last contract was one of them. Having said that the MFC did cave in to his demands.

- To say his last seasons were a disappointment is a major understatement. I am having troubles eradicating some of his later insipid efforts out of my memory.

I don't quite understand why posters criticise players who get the best contract deal they can, irrespective of what follows. No-one holds a gun at the head of the club which agrees to the deal and it's about the only time the players have any bargaining power with the club. For every player who's done a deal that's over the odds, there are plenty more who have failed to get what they want (eg, Cameron Bruce).

Secondly, I doubt there's a player, past or present, who hasn't tried to play the best that they can after signing a contract. I suspect Davey's poor performances after his B&F year may have been a result of injuries sustained playing the role that resulted in the B&F but for which his body was not suitable. Small, lightly framed players should not be playing on ball roles other than occasional cameos. In the year Davey won his B&F he was successful but would have been battered from pillar to post.

I don't quite understand why posters criticise players who get the best contract deal they can, irrespective of what follows. No-one holds a gun at the head of the club which agrees to the deal and it's about the only time the players have any bargaining power with the club. For every player who's done a deal that's over the odds, there are plenty more who have failed to get what they want (eg, Cameron Bruce).

Secondly, I doubt there's a player, past or present, who hasn't tried to play the best that they can after signing a contract. I suspect Davey's poor performances after his B&F year may have been a result of injuries sustained playing the role that resulted in the B&F but for which his body was not suitable. Small, lightly framed players should not be playing on ball roles other than occasional cameos. In the year Davey won his B&F he was successful but would have been battered from pillar to post.

- I understand players who look to get the best contract they can but they need to perform in return. When you are paid the big money you need to perform. In his last contract that didn't happen. And in that last contract some unsettling traits appeared - getting soft suspensions and also going less than 100% at the ball ( I never expected Aaron to be in and under but you do recall Bailey saying that there was an incident that Aaron himself wouldnt be happy about - that wasnt an isolated incident)

- disagree vehemently with your second point. Some players try harder and put more in than others. You can see intensity and desire in some players and you can see it absent in others - that was rightly questioned in Aarons final years.

just pushed the "Like" button.

The guy deserves to make a living after AFL football.

IMHO the best kick at the Dees in the last decade.

Good luck Aaron

Agreed Hardtack, disgraceful

mention the word aboriginal and some love to get their pitch forks out and go on a racist witch hunt. Believe me, you are seeing something that is not there.

Look Aaron deserves respect as he gave his all to the footy club but my point was, although a good role model for aboriginal players, I don't think he would stack up as a coach at the top level (too many time oppoenents got into his head and he lost it), and probably has found his niche teaching at a lower level.

and as for bring up the 'cherry picking' of players, go read the original post and what has Goodes and O'Loughlin got to do with proving anything about the hundreds of aboriginal players who have come through the system. Shall I pick 2 talented players who weren't dedicated and expect you to accept that as a definitive argument?

mention the word aboriginal and some love to get their pitch forks out and go on a racist witch hunt. Believe me, you are seeing something that is not there.

Look Aaron deserves respect as he gave his all to the footy club but my point was, although a good role model for aboriginal players, I don't think he would stack up as a coach at the top level (too many time oppoenents got into his head and he lost it), and probably has found his niche teaching at a lower level.

and as for bring up the 'cherry picking' of players, go read the original post and what has Goodes and O'Loughlin got to do with proving anything about the hundreds of aboriginal players who have come through the system. Shall I pick 2 talented players who weren't dedicated and expect you to accept that as a definitive argument?

For starters, it was not just the word "aboriginal", it was the association of lack of dedication with aboriginality.

Would you say Judd was dedicated? Would you say Scully was dedicated? Would you say Thomas was dedicated?... we could go on and on listing dedicated and non dedicated players of both aboriginal and european origins. I would not be singling out one single group as I would say that could never be proven one way or another. There are many many players of aboriginal origins who have helped clubs go on to great things and who have shown thorough dedication to their task and to their club and team mates.

All in all, a ridiculous assertion.