Phantom Pre Season & Rookie Drafts

Deeman

That would be a good result for us wouldn't it? (means we can still have decent rookie draft possibilities) - the preseason and rookie drafts overlap don't they?

If the clubs have a spot on their main list and there are decent prospects why wouldn't you pick someone up (salary cap?)

That would be a good result for us wouldn't it? (means we can still have decent rookie draft possibilities) - the preseason and rookie drafts overlap don't they?

If the clubs have a spot on their main list and there are decent prospects why wouldn't you pick someone up (salary cap?)

Can pay rookies less.

Rookies are outside the cap.

Coll and Syd will have 39 and 38 players respectively from reports due to that fact.

Again, need to get rid of the RL.

1. Greater Western Sydney - Jed Lamb (Sydney Swans) .

2. Collingwood - PASS

3. Richmond - PASS

4. Carlton - PASS

5. Sydney Swans - PASS

6. Greater Western Sydney - PASS

That is the way the Age suggested it would go today. Hope they and you are correct. It will make our first rookie pick stronger.

I must admit to being underwhelmed by the picks suggested as being destined for Melbourne. I hope that Taylor and Viney don't read this Phantom Draft and get any ideas!

Pick 2. Melbourne: James Harmes (Dandenong Stingrays)

306394-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Position: Midfielder

Height: 185cm

Weight: 78kg

Born: 5/10/95

The inside word

Medium midfielder with good game sense and versatility. Attacks the ball aggressively and has a hard edge. Played two games for Vic Country in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, with his speed a real feature.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/james-harmes

Pick 19: Melbourne: Max King (Murray Bushrangers)

293074-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Position: Tall forward/ruckman

Height: 200cm

Weight: 90kg

Born: 24/9/95

The inside word

Developing tall forward/ruckman with the ability to push forward and have an impact on the scoreboard. Marks strongly overhead and protects the drop zone effectively. Provides his midfielders with first use through good tap work and is an effective field kick for a player of his size.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/max-king

Pick 35: Melbourne: Alexis Georgiou

39%20Alexis%20Georgiou.jpg

Position: Medium defender

Height: 187cm

Weight: 88kg

Born: 1/2/90

The inside word
Norwood coach Nathan Bassett thinks Georgiou has been overlooked by AFL clubs in recent drafts because "he looks like Mr Bean, he runs like he's running on broken glass and his kick looks awkward". Gangly he may be, but Georgiou has carved a reputation as one of the SANFL's leading defenders. A key contributor to Norwood's 2012 flag, he can shut down tall and small forwards alike and is clean with the ball.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/alex-georgiou

Pick 50. Melbourne: Neville Jetta (Melbourne)

Alexis Georgiou next. Without access to any video highlights looks a gun. We've got a beauty who will meet our needs and add to our mid field mix. I predict he will train the house down.

And at number 50 in the rookie draft - Neville 'jets' Jetta. from the 6 or so years of vision is not a gun but i love him. He is training the house down and i for one am rapt he is still with us. Prove the doubters wrong Nev!

Edited by binman

Happy that we went with a forward, ruck and defender.

I like the first two picks - James Harmes - a good sized mid with aggression and speed. Max King - needed a genuine ruckman and he looks like he is very coordinated and agile for his size.

I am a bit skeptical of Alexis Georgiou - I think we should have gone with a KPD here and have said it before - not a huge fan of mature aged draftees.

The last pick I would have preferred to be used on Alex Spencer (ruck) or a KPD - again would rather a young player then mature but Jetta may be better then Byrnes as a small forward.

A bit disappointing that we didn't pick a KPB but we had plenty of chance to take one so must have not rated any highly enough.

We must rate Harmes - the pre-draft chat had North and Sydney also interested so maybe we needed to swoop.

King's one grab marking in particular and his kicking look good in the highlights and he looks agile for a big boy, will be interesting to see his pace.

It's hard to see Georgiou, at 188cm, covering true KPFs no matter how "tall" he plays, but that doesn't mean he can't be a player for us.

I see North took Tippett, he's a good pick up for them because I reckon they are under-sized down back. I really like the look of their list now and reckon they'll be flag challengers.

Tigers picked up 3 ready-mades too, they're serious about challenging too but I think they're behind North.

Harmes YES. speed and energy

King YES. capital P for potential

Geogiou ... state league scrapper. Shutdown type and not much else. Think below Warnock for skills. I wanted KPD cover here. Sully?? Wilson ??

Jetta ... shows the club has some honour. Last chance saloon. I am not hopeful.

Why not Kane Lambert or Chris Cain here