Training - Monday 25th November, 2013

McQueen

Not sure on this one. You would think we can draw a line on what Jetta offers by now. if we didn't want him on the main list, why rookie him ?

I would love to a have a wager on it...he trained hard today, very impressive- the best he has trained ever IMO.

Taylor overlooked him along with Todd Viney..I say he's in.

We will see Wed.

We will also recruit a tall back..Joel .Tippett is all the talk.I know they talked to Ryan Ferguson about him.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get to hung up on 100m times, most at is age are hand times with sport coaches and parents holding stop watches. Being fast at AFL isn't about straight line speed, agility is more important than straight line speed, the ability to change direction at pace and to have a break away speed, Judd at his prime was this he not only had a good turn of foot but was able to change his angle or direction at top speed. Also I have know guys that could run sub 11 sec's at 17/18 good juniors but you just don't that space AFL/State league level.

The only thing from training that I really want to know is our skill levels are we hitting targets. Last year drills just weren't clean, better than the year before but we still had a lot of footy missing targets by both hand and foot. This translated into the season proper, we need to learn to control the footy by keeping possession and that starts at pre-season.

He ran 11.03 APS Day, which is all electronic so he's obviously got heat. I'd imagine the 10.9 would probably be illegally wind assisted yet he's just counted it. Fair enough too.

Your second point is most valid though, I myself ran the APS 200m 5 years ago, and was substantially faster than everyone else in my team but could never get it to translate onto the footy field. My first 3 or 4 steps were good, but after that my dash away speed wasn't the same as running in spikes. It's almost like an acquired talent, I used to run with James Strauss years back too, and he was an incredible 200 and 400m runner but you wouldn't really notice it now.

Think JKH is the perfect example of the opposite, his 20m sprint wasn't great but on the field he looks like noone will catch him! Will keep an eye on both from now on.

Hey Stayriconhome, is Riley with the rehab group? Do you know when he's going into full training?

Edit: just re-read your post. "Dawes and Riley went for a walk around the tan. FMD. Clark and Dawes have played about a season between them for us. Let's hope they get on the park.

The other thing I'm interested in is whether they do the gut running at the end or beginning of sessions. I'm not surprised by the change of atmosphere at training. Neeld was just a fwit the way he went about football. These kids won't know themselves and will be looking forward to the whole process. We will see a completely different group now we've got rid of the mugs who were running this club.

Thank heavens for Roos and Jackson.

Edited by Baghdad Bob

Hey Stayriconhome, is Riley with the rehab group? Do you know when he's going into full training?

As I have said before I think what they are hoping is everybody will be back on track post Xmas, Riley, Kent and Dawes seem to be the only one's not running at the moment (touch wood and all that), when i asked he told me his recovery from broken leg was exactly where it should be, fitness/coaching staff don't seem particularly disturbed with him over anything......seems to be doing the weights, looks solid in his training top

Come on OD, November optimism, I actually asked what the problem was and was told it was his GPS unit playing up, he changed his boots into runners to do the laps

Just a small joke there Saty.

Could not help myself.

As I have said before I think what they are hoping is everybody will be back on track post Xmas, Riley, Kent and Dawes seem to be the only one's not running at the moment (touch wood and all that), when i asked he told me his recovery from broken leg was exactly where it should be, fitness/coaching staff don't seem particularly disturbed with him over anything......seems to be doing the weights, looks solid in his training top

Thanks mate. Looking forward to seeing him play for us. He's a hard nut no nonsense footballer.

Thanks mate. Looking forward to seeing him play for us. He's a hard nut no nonsense footballer.

Agreed, he just looks the part of a grunt midfielder, have heard that about him

With Dawes, apart from the fact that he is not running, he looks in great shape, assume he is doing a lot of off leg work

If Salem gets No3 his nick name will be linked to Garry Lyon, he is one hairy man, have a look at his photo from today's training

Hairy is coming back. We hairy men are waiting for the glory days of the 60s and 70s to return. Open necked shirts with gold chains bouncing around in our heavily fleeced chests. We will rule the club's again and manscaping will be a thing of the past.

I'd make the following comments.

All players appeared to be present except Bail and Dawes but recent absentee Max Gawn was there but mostly ran laps but did not appear to be in any undue discomfort. Jamar and Strauss did intermittent sprints.

The three new recruits did light work separately to the main group, mostly doing handball work and short kicking. They left early.

Blease, Tapscott, Tyson, Mckenzie and Michie continue to be in the rehab group and spent their time doing various types of running: Tapscott, Gawn, Blease doing lap jogging, while the others did a lot of contested sprinting and endurance work quite impressively i might add.

When I arrived about at about 10, the main group was doing similar circuit work they did on Friday, although only using two thirds of the ground rather than the whole ground they did on Friday. They did the same long kicking to targets, fast running and receiving handballs and then long kicking to position, although I didn't think it had quite the same intensity as I saw on Friday. It was nevertheless similarly impressive. The skill levels appear to be pretty good for this time of year.

After they broke up into smaller groups to do hand-balling and tackling at close quarters, they did another exercise i had not seen in this form before. I would call it an Aussie Rules version of the old British Bulldog we used to play in primary school. That is, two teams of about 12 a side who face each other across an oblong field about 80m long, one group is given the ball at one end of the field,facing the other group at the other. The group with the ball would then run at the other group and try and break the defensive lines via running and handball. the defensive team then tries to stop them via normal tackling and blocking. Once the breakout is achieved, then the ball carrier is required to kick it to the goalsquare about 60 metres downfield. The defensive team then is given a ball and is required to break the lines of the other team in a similar fashion. This went back and forth about a dozen times with Roos taking personal charge of the exercise and occasionally calling everyone together to given instructions about position play, blocking and tackling.

His key message seemed to be the importance when the teams changed over for the attacking team to quickly get back into defensive positioning. He was constantly on about this to Jack Watts. Often it was Jack who broke the lines with great skill and delivered the ball to the goal-square with pinpoint accuracy. The message I think Roos was trying to get across to him though was you job is not done, you have to deliver on defensive play as well as attacking. I think i heard him shout at Jack three or four times. "Get back Jack, get back quickly". I didn't hear this message to any other player in such tones, although he might have I was a fair way away.

I think we all know that Jack has wonderful skills and excellent natural attacking inclinations, but it is his intensity and willingness to run back defensively which worries a lot of us. If today was any guide i would say Roos is well onto this, and onto this very early in the pre-season. If he can get this right in Jack's game, then i have no doubt Jack will end up an All-Australian next season. This alone has the potential to deliver big time for the MFC. To be fair to Jack, i have not seen him look as fit, as big, as fast or as focused as he does at the moment. I'm quite sure Roos will get the absolute best out of him.

I also see a much greater intensity and confidence in the two Jacks, particularly Jack Trengove who seems to have his explosive running back, was taking great high marks, and kicking 50-60 metre goals. Jack Grimes is as committed as ever, and will be a star if he can keep his fitness up.

Mitch Clark is training intensively mostly in the main Group.

Jesse Hogan participated in the main circuit training, but not the second exercise, instead running repeat 150m sprints with Viney and Michie. Michie is a very impressive runner, winning the five legs i saw from hogan and Viney. JH has great stamina, and surprising speed. He is also a terrific, accurate long kick on the run

Second session I have seen so far and while some of the disposal today was a little sloppy,the enthusiasm and pace they are training at is certainly up.

Also noticeable is how Roos gets involved in showing players what he wants in drills and is very hands on.

Players look to be enjoying their footy and hope this comes through when the games begin.

Just left and the boys were still going. Due to a considerable night with a certain Mountain Goat last night I will keep this short because it's hurting to concentrate this much.

Firstly, Clark looked great and participated in every drill I watched with the main group. Jumping, twisting and turning and kicking without trouble IMO.

I arrived pretty early and spent some time watching the new draftees who were involved in basic short kicking and handballing exercises. They all looked good but I was particularly impressed with JKH. His ball handling just looked classy and would be at home jagging goals out of nothing. Salem has a lovely kick on him.

Hogan has it all. Bring on next year!

Repeat 300m sprints were dominated by Tom Mc who was running them by himself but you could tell is was sigificantly faster and more steady than the others. At one stage, Jack Viney tried to take the [censored] out of Tom for a laugh and tom just did not see the funny side of it. Deadly serious young man is Tom.

Tyson hammy heavily strapped but running okay. Did not attempt to kick with that right leg though.

Roos observed a lot. Only got involved with the main group for the last few exercises but he does get very animated when in there. You can see the boys are loving him as coach already.

Overall I thought the skills were pretty sloppy but maybe I was expecting too much. Nicho was the main offender with lots dropping short or sailing over heads.

Happy to take questions.

Can somebody please tell me why this guy "Nicho" is still on the list?Surely he is the most unskilled turnover king we have !

Come on OD, November optimism, I actually asked what the problem was and was told it was his GPS unit playing up, he changed his boots into runners to do the laps

I watched him walk off with the sole if his boot flapping halfway off.

But anyway.