AFL NATIONAL DRAFT - Pick 9

What

Quite simple. As I have stated we have no backline players who can consistently hit targets. Kolodjashnij's left foot is a weapon and we can definitely use that coming out of the backline. IMO our rebounding from defence was poor at times last year and he would shore it up a bit.

The difference between Hawthorn and many other teams is that they have a large group of players who can deliver the ball by foot almost perfectly. They seldom waste a kick.

I doubt that Hawthorn would ever draft a player who is a poor kick.

We have very few players whose delivery is anywhere near perfect.

It's all well to get the ball, but if you turn it over then your value to the team diminishes.

I'm with you, DT, let's get a kid who can deliver the ball 'centimetre perfect', to use a well known expression.

Which of the boys who are likely picks at no. 9 can do this?

The difference between Hawthorn and many other teams is that they have a large group of players who can deliver the ball by foot almost perfectly. They seldom waste a kick.

It's all well to get the ball, but if you turn it over then your value to the team diminishes.

I'm with you, DT, let's get a kid who can deliver the ball 'centimetre perfect', to use a well known expression.

What an odd concept A Football team enlisting players who can actually kick well !!

Whatever next !!! :cool:

Reckon we ought give that a go one day ^_^

I haven't has time to look at all the clips, but I liked the looks of:

Bontempelli - seems to have the ball on a string, and a good left foot kick

Koladjashnij - imaging having a tall left footed HB who can actually kick with precision? Could play off HB or through the guts I reckon. Tasmanian. so no return home factor. :-)

Yes, (KK) looks a fantastic kid! Can see why the Dees have him in their sights also!

It's always smart policy to bring in a good mix of players and given our weakness in the midfield, it stands to reason that we should continue to look to midfield types but with some flexibility. If Freeman is what he's cooked up to be, he would be a good choice but equally, a player like Marcus Bontempelli would make sense if he's available at number 9.

Said to now be 194cm tall and with great running ability, he not only fits the bill as a midfield prospect but could also grow into a KPP. Now before I get howled down on this point, I have in the corner of my mind the thought that someone with the capacity to do so, could tempt James Frawley with a free agency offer he can't refuse and we need insurance for that eventuality. So why not a growing tall mid who could one day play key back or forward (possibly releasing Jesse Hogan to CHB where he has done well as a junior)?

It's always been important to have versatile players and I think we would be wise to think in those terms with what is now our only remaining big pick.

It's always smart policy to bring in a good mix of players and given our weakness in the midfield, it stands to reason that we should continue to look to midfield types but with some flexibility. If Freeman is what he's cooked up to be, he would be a good choice but equally, a player like Marcus Bontempelli would make sense if he's available at number 9.

Said to now be 194cm tall and with great running ability, he not only fits the bill as a midfield prospect but could also grow into a KPP. Now before I get howled down on this point, I have in the corner of my mind the thought that someone with the capacity to do so, could tempt James Frawley with a free agency offer he can't refuse and we need insurance for that eventuality. So why not a growing tall mid who could one day play key back or forward (possibly releasing Jesse Hogan to CHB where he has done well as a junior)?

It's always been important to have versatile players and I think we would be wise to think in those terms with what is now our only remaining big pick.

Probably the reason also that the Pies are keen on him. Maxwell has how many years left?

Kyle Cheney says hi.

• Like 1

Too much like Cale Morton for my liking.

I'm sold on Lennon.

Could easily be the best player out of this draft.

Eeeuuwww! If that's the case will steer well clear!

I'm sold on Lennon.

I meant about the Morton comparison!

Yes, (KK) looks a fantastic kid! Can see why the Dees have him in their sights also!

Agree Demoneyes - f rom my limited viewing of the various highlight clips, KK really impressed with his disposal and awareness off HB, and through the middle.

Make my day.

Agree Demoneyes - f rom my limited viewing of the various highlight clips, KK really impressed with his disposal and awareness off HB, and through the middle.

Make my day.

Have watched his vision a few times now, I believe i even have him in front of Freeman (wash my mouth out!).

• Like 1

Kyle Cheney says hi.

Kyle Cheney is hardly a regular player with Hawthorn. That his kicking to position is not great could explain why.

Despite your sarcasm until our boys can deliver the ball as well as the Hawthorn players do, we will struggle to win games.

It is not the quantity of possessions that is important, it is the quality that counts most.

Anyone else checked out and liked Blake Acres' highlights. To me he looks every bit as good as Scharenberg and might be the best big bodied midfielder in the draft. He's got strength in the air, composure and neat skills. I'd say he's the reason why West Coast went back to 11 because they'll be happy to get either one of him or Sheed

I'm a fan master, even before the video. He's slid down the order after dislocating his shoulder early in the champs and stinking it up a bit. 190cm, quick, plays inside and out, get's plenty of it and uses it very well. Prototype modern mid I reckon and I'd take him ahead of Sheed. The worry is his shoulder, did it b4 the champs and tried to nurse it through bit it popped again a few minutes into the first game I believe.

Found this little nugget regarding Acres on bigfooty, cheers to Kawalsky for sharing the info.

Pre shoulder surgery combine results from WA testing at ECU Cowan University

20m sprint 2.94 sec

Agility 8.28 sec

Standing vertical 69 cm

Running vertical jump ® 80cm

Running vertical jump (l) 92cm

Repeat sprint 21.51 sec

Beep test 15.2

No 3 km was tested

188cm

83.7 kg

Result from ECU

AFL combine. 4 weeks post surgery/rehab.

20m sprint 3.05 sec

Agility test. Didn't test

Standing jump : ?

running vertical jump ®: ?

Running vertical jump (l) :?

Repeat sprint 25.16 sec

Beep test 13.1

3 km 11.15

190.2 cm

Result from TeamWA facebook page

At the Combine, the results he achieved before injury would have had him equal 9th in the 20m sprint, 8th in the agility test, 1cm outside the top 10 in standing vertical jump, equal 10th on the right leg and 2nd on the left leg (equal 3rd overall) in the running vertical jump, a clear winner in the repeat sprints (by over 2 seconds) and equal 5th in the beep test. Pretty impressive results pre injury, not so good after surgery but that's to be expected. The lack of love around here for this bloke surprises me a bit.

I agree on the WC bit too, they know one of Acres and Sheed will be there. Just for the record I'm not sold on Acres, I like Freeman and Lennon at our pick too, maybe even Kolodjashnij. Really finding it hard to split them atm.

Kyle Cheney is hardly a regular player with Hawthorn. That his kicking to position is not great could explain why.

Despite your sarcasm until our boys can deliver the ball as well as the Hawthorn players do, we will struggle to win games.

It is not the quantity of possessions that is important, it is the quality that counts most.

You just said they recruit players that can kick....

I'm sold on Lennon.

I agree. Lennon is exactly what we need

Machsy and Dees2014,

What is it about Lennon that you like for you to have have him ahead of Nathan Freeman? I only ask because of the 3, i wouldn't mind one of Freeman, Lennon or KK come our pick 9 (in that order).

You just said they recruit players that can kick....

When I say 'recruiting players' I include those they draft as well as those they get from other clubs.

Compare the foot disposal accuracy of Mitchell, Hodge, Burgoyne, Gibson, Guerra, Lake and others with those on our list.

Are you having a bad day today? You seem to be a bit 'picky'?

The point I was trying to make was that it wouldn't do us any harm if, with pick 9, we picked up a kid who can deliver the ball accurately with both feet.

My point in bringing in Hawthorn, who I hate, by the way, is that I admire their disposal and would like us to eventually emulate them.

I'm a fan master, even before the video. He's slid down the order after dislocating his shoulder early in the champs and stinking it up a bit. 190cm, quick, plays inside and out, get's plenty of it and uses it very well. Prototype modern mid I reckon and I'd take him ahead of Sheed. The worry is his shoulder, did it b4 the champs and tried to nurse it through bit it popped again a few minutes into the first game I believe.

I liked the vision of Acres, as well. looked good.

my fav's > Lennon, Koladishan, Acres, Dunstan, Hartung....

Edited by dee-luded

After watching the highlight clips on the AFL website, it's pretty obvious that Mathew Scharenberg is the most talented footballer in this years draft crop. He's the complete package, and has superstar written all over him.

I think he's a pretty sure thing to go to GWS at pick 2, but it would be daylight robbery if he somehow managed to fall to us at pick 9.

Second to that Dom Sheed.