WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - DOM TYSON

angrydee

I really believe there are quite a few boys at GWS & GCS who are homesick.

They are private school types and wish to continue their education back in Melbourne.

Where they have the family support.

They don't want to hang out with the likes of Scully in GWS's school camp facility anymore.

On the contrary, GWS have done sensationally well by re-signing most of their good young players. They have quickly created a good vibe and club feel, so I wouldn't be hanging your hopes on poaching their good young talent.

How about we draft properly and develop our own ?

• Like 5

Hear hear.

Who was the last team to win a Flag with a team built around poached players?

I think the time for poaching from the expansion clubs will come when and if these numerous high draft picks start realising their potential at the same time. That's when Scully/Cloke types (not vaguely interested in the team) force other good footballers to decide whether they want to make a disproportionate sacrifice to keep the group together or whether they look for greener pastures.

My suspicion is that the projected unbeatable GWS or GC 2016-2020 teams will never eventuate.

• Like 1

We should poach and recruit well. Hawks do it to perfection. I believe we have to do both.

Before you can realistically start poaching you have to become a desirable proposition.

I'm all for trying to get a a couple of mature age players into the club, but our success will come from within.

Hear hear.

Who was the last team to win a Flag with a team built around poached players?

I think the time for poaching from the expansion clubs will come when and if these numerous high draft picks start realising their potential at the same time. That's when Scully/Cloke types (not vaguely interested in the team) force other good footballers to decide whether they want to make a disproportionate sacrifice to keep the group together or whether they look for greener pastures.

My suspicion is that the projected unbeatable GWS or GC 2016-2020 teams will never eventuate.

Couldn't agree more! MFC need to work on their development and keeping their players. Although probably the best example I can think of straight off the bat of a team winning a flag by poaching would be North Melbourne under Ron Barrassi buying their 75 & 77 premiership winning teams.

• Like 1

I agree we need to work on devlopment and recruiting - (which is why i believe Neeld, Mission and Craig were brough on board)

I am not addressing the contract situation of Dom (i ahve no idea) But I do like the idea of recruiting talented youngsters to the club that want to play for a develop something special with this group.

Eg: burgoyne and Gunston at the Hawks -The hawks didn't say no when these guys wanted to move - I don't think the MFC should snub an oppotunity

In saying that I have no idea if this rumor has any validity or not but I say go get him if he wants to come to the MFC

the best example I can think of straight off the bat of a team winning a flag by poaching would be North Melbourne under Ron Barrassi buying their 75 & 77 premiership winning teams.

I think that could be right. Can't think of a Premier in my time watching footy (I'm 30) whose high-profile traded players were anything much more than "role-players" (some of them very good role players, admittedly). North Melbourne in the 70s seemed to win Flags with nigh-on half the team having played excellent football with other clubs - Barry Davis, Alves, Wade, Crosswell, Rantall, Keenan, etc.

It takes a mixture of strong recruting and strong drafting and development to make a good team.... It takes players and coaches who want to win at all costs to make a good team a great team

This could be the most simple and yet correct appraisal of the required club vision and culture to emerge on any thread so far

Great work. I would be interested in other thoughts on this We sometimes overlook the obvious.

On the contrary, GWS have done sensationally well by re-signing most of their good young players. They have quickly created a good vibe and club feel, so I wouldn't be hanging your hopes on poaching their good young talent.

no i prefer that we kick them in the teeth.They tried to screw us by taking scully so i say we return the favour

I really believe there are quite a few boys at GWS & GCS who are homesick.

They are private school types and wish to continue their education back in Melbourne.

Where they have the family support.

so private school kids are more likely to move home......

• 1 year later...

Deep down, I believe he wants to be home with his family.

His family would also love to see him back here, now that we have a respectable coach.

I'd also like to see Adam Tomlinson come back home.

But I don't know too much about him still wanting to be here.

It you look at Roos record with drafting, he seem to target team with red hot midfields and looks at midfielders that are struggling to get a game, i.e. Kennedy from Hawks. Dom could be similar?

• Like 3

He has never really settled into the GWS midfield for any length of time, but every year he is talked about as trades, may well be that we don't see the best of this young man until he comes home to Melbourne,

would pick 2 get us Adams and Tyson? would we need to add to that deal maybe?

• Like 1