Cameron Schwab now writes for the Age.

John Crow Batty

OD - As CEO CS was responsible for lots of stuff and rightfully got his whack.

I just am bemused when he gets blamed for everything - there was so much rotten at the club and as one of the most powerful he deserves the most but organisation was inept to the core and no one is exempt and unfortunately that includes Jimmy ( although he had rather larger battles going on).

Sorry for the delay nutbean the site has been giving me a lot of problems today.

It is now obvious that in 2011 Jimmy was in a lot worse condition than we understood at the time.

Clearly he did not do much of a job that year.

I remember thinking at the 2011 AGM that he should not have been the Chairman.

He was unfortunately part of the problem in 2011

1) Brock McLean was pretty clear when interviewed during 'On The Couch' that Dean Bailey was under a lot of pressure to reach a certain outcome. We hear others, whose reliability varies, say that Cuddles and CS were threatening people with the sack if said outcome wasn't reached. Now, I seriously doubt that outcome was 'go out and recruit experienced match hardened players'.

2) The man has been acknowledged as having a big hand in football matters. Caro was acknowledging it before she went on a vendetta against him (she was even praising it as a positive at the time).

3) This part has been overlooked by you on many an occasion. 4 FD people had to report to CS up until he was fired. If the bloke had no say in the football department whatsoever why did he need to micromanage it?

4) PJ has gone on record on the same 'On The Couch' interview as saying that part of our problem is that 2-4 years ago, we purged our locker room of leaders. Among those purged were Frosty and Junior. I can get you links to both interviews if you like.

I agree to an extent that Schwab is gone and it's not an issue going forward. What pizzes me off is people coming on here and spinning this alternative history that is demonstrably false. Two issues get on my goat on this board: people saying that Neale Daniher 'destroyed' the club and that Cameron Schwab was some kind of misunderstood genius and that everything he did was right. I will give you points for originality C&B. This is the first time I have seen someone intimate that he didn't have his nose in the football department or in the long term recruiting strategy of the club. Kudos to you.

First of all I am not by any stretch of the imagination suggesting he is a 'misunderstood genius'. I am also in no way anti-Daniher, I don't know if you are pointing that comment at me specifically.It just annoys me how people have this tendency to just point the finger and whomever or whatever they feel like to blame for the failure of 2007-2013. As nutbean describes it, it is just too 'convenient'.

OK well I wasn't addressing the issue of alleged 'tanking'. You are right that his fingerprints seem to be more on that - however, again, this is not a 'strategy' that many people here, or in the MFC community in general were opposed to. It turned out to be a complete disaster (because we created a list with no idea about putting everything in in order to win) but go back to the threads on this board in late 2008 and you will find overwhelming support, including from me, for winning few enough games to secure pick1+2. It just seems ridiculous to now look back and go 'gee it was all CS's fault'.

I didnt say he had NO hand in the FD. I'm saying that the influence of Stynes, Bailey and Connolly are all holding more responsibility for that, and they don't seem to be bashed on this board.

I agree actually in that there WAS damage done... although I seriously doubt JMac/Bruce/Miller's departure were much to blame for this, it was more the establishment and perpetuation of a loser's mentality that screwed us.. perhaps I am splitting hairs there though.

Does anyone remember when CS came on here and told us he was glad none of use are in charge of the club?

Hypocrite of the highest order.

I can only imagine the utter bile that was being posted in order for him to make that comment. Seriously how many demonland members would like to make CEO of the MFC?

Sorry for the delay nutbean the site has been giving me a lot of problems today.

It is now obvious that in 2011 Jimmy was in a lot worse condition than we understood at the time.

Clearly he did not do much of a job that year.

I remember thinking at the 2011 AGM that he should not have been the Chairman.

He was unfortunately part of the problem in 2011

With Schwab - the fish certainly rots at the head - but in my experience - when the head gets rotten, it just doesnt stop there - the whole fish gets rotten

First of all I am not by any stretch of the imagination suggesting he is a 'misunderstood genius'. I am also in no way anti-Daniher, I don't know if you are pointing that comment at me specifically.It just annoys me how people have this tendency to just point the finger and whomever or whatever they feel like to blame for the failure of 2007-2013. As nutbean describes it, it is just too 'convenient'.

OK well I wasn't addressing the issue of alleged 'tanking'. You are right that his fingerprints seem to be more on that - however, again, this is not a 'strategy' that many people here, or in the MFC community in general were opposed to. It turned out to be a complete disaster (because we created a list with no idea about putting everything in in order to win) but go back to the threads on this board in late 2008 and you will find overwhelming support, including from me, for winning few enough games to secure pick1+2. It just seems ridiculous to now look back and go 'gee it was all CS's fault'.

I didnt say he had NO hand in the FD. I'm saying that the influence of Stynes, Bailey and Connolly are all holding more responsibility for that, and they don't seem to be bashed on this board.

I agree actually in that there WAS damage done... although I seriously doubt JMac/Bruce/Miller's departure were much to blame for this, it was more the establishment and perpetuation of a loser's mentality that screwed us.. perhaps I am splitting hairs there though.

Fair enough.

I have been on the record saying that while I wasn't mad keen on us losing games on 2008, I kept an open mind about it while trying to talk myself into believing that we actually were more interested in developing players than losing games. I remember being disappointed that we lost to Richmond in the Jordan McMahon game but remembering there was a silver lining to it in that it was likely we would get draft picks. I certainly wasn't singing 'Tigerland' (twas in Japan at the time and the locals may have looked at me slightly funny). It was more a sense of resignation with me if anything.

To an extent, Jimmy does get off the hook a bit in all of this. This is for obvious reasons but he did buy into the whole 'boys club' angle and 'list management' strategy that basically has bought the club to it's knees. Word is that one of the reasons that Paul MacNamee was fired (besides the trip to Wimbledon and him supposedly wanting to market us as an 'elite' club) was that he wanted to bring Jonno Brown to Melbourne and this went against the new regime's belief that we had to recruit kids, kids and more kids.

I don't blame Bailey so much for the previous strategy but I feel one of his biggest weaknesses as a coach was that he didn't hit it on the head earlier. It's easy for me to say that he should have confronted the board but I think it would have been better in his long term interests if he had told the board to tell CS to pull his head in much earlier than he did

I'm not accusing you of canning ND (I disagree with you on a lot C&B but I know you haven't implied that). It was just raising that as one of the things that annoys me on the 'Land.

Edited by Guest

It's a bit sad that on day one of trade week a thread about our ex CEO proves to be the most popular. We've got to move on.

Seeing those articles in the Age is like seeing your ex on Facebook. You were bitter when you broke up but you need to find out what they are doing to make yourself feel better.

Seeing those articles in the Age is like seeing your ex on Facebook. You were bitter when you broke up but you need to find out what they are doing to make yourself feel better.

So if I'm to run with your analogy, today's venting on Demonland is equivalent to publishing compromising photos of your ex on a dodgy website?

It's a bit sad that on day one of trade week a thread about our ex CEO proves to be the most popular. We've got to move on.

The reason it is so popular Goodvibes is that basically nothing else is happening!

So if I'm to run with your analogy, today's venting on Demonland is equivalent to publishing compromising photos of your ex on a dodgy website?

Probably more passive aggressive tweets/status updates that make us feel morally superior.

If one were to put up compromising material online that would (should?) make CS embarrassed, it would be along these lines.

It wasn't reported anywhere that he couldnt get a loan from a bank - you know this how ?

You are correct there nut - he could, in fact, have got a loan from the bank. And he should have. It was apparently a bridging loan which we gave him at a cheaper rate than the banks. We subsidised his personal finances. IMO it was inappropriate to give our CEO a financial when we had just crawled out of a large debt through supporter donations. We are not a bank. I seriously doubt we offered loans to lesser employees of the club. Schwab may write very well, but his repeated conflicts of interest as football CEO were far from professional

Sat what you like about Cam, but he knows his Football, and knows his players. was a great recruiter in his early days. I might be one out, but i dont have the hatede fof him like so many others and the disrespect shown for him is a bit boring to be honest.

And no, i am not CS.

No he doesn't mate, he thinks he does and that's what led us into this trouble. We should be a top 4 team with a legitimate shot at the premiership now and we're not because of someone who didn't know his football and players. He had way too much input into the football side of things and he has proven he had no idea.

• Like 2

No he doesn't mate, he thinks he does and that's what led us into this trouble. We should be a top 4 team with a legitimate shot at the premiership now and we're not because of someone who didn't know his football and players. He had way too much input into the football side of things and he has proven he had no idea.

Proof is in the Pudding..We were taken for a big ride...

Does anyone remember when CS came on here and told us he was glad none of us are in charge of the club?

Hypocrite of the highest order.

I take this with a grain of salt. It was more likely some numpty from 'Ology or 'Land who takes any criticism of the club as a personal insult.

If he did so, can we get a link to the thread he posted in? As I said, I take this with a huge grain of salt but if it was true then that is unbelievable. A CEO should engage with members but I don't think the job description extends to 'flaming supporters on a message board like a shut in living in his mother's basement'.

Edited by Guest

He actually said he was glad that none of us negotiate sponsorship contracts.

http://demonland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29577-a-few-thoughts-cameron-schwab/#entry534357

OMG there proof that there was drug taking at the MFC!

Read the about CS post

Finally, really pleased with how the football structure and personnel has come together. Capable, committed, directed and passionate, with clear standards and expectations that have been set very high. Importantly, they are loving our club.

He actually said he was glad that none of us negotiate sponsorship contracts.

http://demonland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29577-a-few-thoughts-cameron-schwab/#entry534357

Oh dear gawd.

That thread was painful to read. I hadn't joined the 'Land by that stage and I'm glad I hadn't. That was hall of shame style material

It showed me that at the end of the day we, as much as we like to think otherwise, are just fans at the end of the day. Some of the wetting of pants on here that the CEO had come on was unbelievable. I will give RGRS his due. He was one of the few who asked legitimate questions.

Reading all the bunk about the sponsor (who lasted 2 weeks of the regular season and then collapsed entirely some time after that) and the FD (he just had to throw in 'loving the club; bit and he seemed to keep away the part that by that stage, Neeld had probably lost the playing group) was a blast from the past that I could have done without.

The blazers were a great idea as well apparently. Sure, Hassa and Ron probably did love them. But the problem was, we were preaching to the converted with a lot of that. How was that ever going to expand our supporter base? It would turn off a lot of people in the street as posh and w***ky. Hell, even a lot of us on here thought they looked stupid.