Josh Mahoney named new football operations boss

Wiseblood

As per the Herald Sun:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/josh-mahoney-is-melbournes-nw-football-operations-boss/story-fni5f91a-1226726391782

Going by the quotes from Jackson a lot changed with the Roos appointment, and Mahoney has done an outstanding job in the role leading up to this point. He will also report to Jackson directly.

Backing this appointment as I trust PJ 100%.

• Like 2

yes we must trust PJ... but I spoke to Josh Mahoney mid-season and he said all travelling ok and with a bit more luck we will be competitive. I almost decked him ... LUCK!!!!

I think you are being a bit tough on him

It is only a figure of speech IMO

• Like 1

yes we must trust PJ... but I spoke to Josh Mahoney mid-season and he said all travelling ok and with a bit more luck we will be competitive. I almost decked him ... LUCK!!!!

It's about time we had some of that luck though.... :)

But to be fair to Mahoney he can't say much else in that situation. Clearly he is doing a terrific job behind the scenes and PJ is impressed with it. Can't argue with that logic really.

What the hell did you expect him to say?

Honestly, some people are just strange...

I called this ages ago

Knew he would stay on and get the gig, he is a very smart operator.

Yeah, I think he comes across as an intelligent and capable operator.

I was all for Geoff Walsh due to his excellent CV, but if we can't have him, I'm not unhappy with Mahoney.

Especially if PJ has signed off on it.

Congratulations Josh, it would seem you've earned it.

Sounds as if the experience requirement of the role was downgraded after luring Roos. Lucky break for Mahoney as it means his relative inexperience counted against him less than it may have otherwise. To draw a footy analogy, he's a top 10 draft pick rather than an established star and he's being given a chance to shine.

Good luck Josh.

• Like 4

The need for a senior person to work with the new coach obviously faded after Roos came on board.

He is in charge of a lot of things and of course he will delegate things like player welfare, but I hope he keeps list management or has Viney run it in his yet to be fully defined role - I think it is a waste of a salary to have a list manager whose sole job of note is to negotiate contracts.

And saves a bit of money too...

Well done Josh.

• Like 4

Seems like Jackson became a mentor to him early on and also gave him enough of a challenge to see if he would sink or swim. We needed some experience at the club and as said above it came in the form of the coach, this helped Josh get the position. Good luck to him, he stood up.

I can see him being a very successful operations manager. Tested the coaching capacity but knew it wasn't for him and good on him for trying something new.

Who knows he could be our next Geoff Walsh and clubs will line up for his service.

Good luck Josh.

Interesting appointment. Heard from a very reliable source about 6 weeks ago that Walsh was a done deal. Perhaps PJ has been so impressed with the work Mahoney has done there was no need to spend big?

Interesting appointment. Heard from a very reliable source about 6 weeks ago that Walsh was a done deal. Perhaps PJ has been so impressed with the work Mahoney has done there was no need to spend big?

I'd say that would have played a small part. Mahoney would be on considerably less coin than Walsh would be, and if he can do a great job, then the decision is a no brainer.

• Like 2

I wonder what he does? who are his subordinates? who are his superiors?

Read the article on MFC.com.au

Jackson is his superior. He reports directly to him about what is happening in the football department.

Then like any manager in a talent field he is in charge of administration in this case of the football department and oversees recruiting, list management, sports science etc. He's the go to man regarding organising the department and organising where the money goes. I'd say Viney as head of player development, Roos as an experienced senior coach and Jason Taylor as head recruiter are specifically involved in list management decisions but Mahoney would oversee the money aspects and contracts.

Already he has signed up Watts, Gawn and Fitzpatrick.

Personally I like the move of not overspending for a Walsh or otherwise for this position. Roos as the senior coach doesn't need someone to get in his way, he just needs sound people in list management and recruiting and we've got them in Viney and Taylor. After that we need a capable administrator to be Peter Jackson's deputy and it seems Mahoney has proven he can do it.

• Like 2

I guess he is a better administrator than a forward coach. It seems that in the past few months he has impressed everyone. COngrats to him.

Can I ask a really dumb question. Who is our director of football. Because Josh's is a different role isnt it?

The term Director of football is used differently at a lot of clubs. Mahoney is the head of the football department on paper but also defers to Roos as required. That is a more than reasonable structure. They both report to the CEO.

In turn the CEO (and probably the head coach) report to the board and some boards have a specific director of football. In our case I'm not sure if we do have that exact title of if we have a subgroup of the board who are the football sub committee. Greg Healy is on the board and I believe takes a certain role overseeing football but I'm not sure what that entails. Of course the President also comes from a football background. No doubt the Melbourne board would be keen for more football experience if we get the right person.

The guy has to be doing something right. Survived the cull when Neeld came on board, and now survived an even bigger cull. Our longest serving football department member?

Its nice that Jackson and co. have had a chance to evaluate him while he has been filling the role temporarily.

• Like 1

Congratulations to Josh. One thing I've noticed about him over the years is that he's a hard worker and to get ahead in that environment over the time he's been at the club is a sensational achievement. One of the things about him that comes to mind is the time he visited Austin Wonaemirri's home at the Tiwi Islands to understand how his community lived.

Josh has a tough gig - hope he succeeds.

• Like 2