• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

MELBOURNE TEAM FOR ROUND 1, 2014

felixdacat

MELBOURNE
B: Garland Frawley Terlich
HB: Grimes McDonald Cross
C: Tyson Jones Watts
HF: M.Jones? Hogan Howe
F: Clark Dawes Byrnes
R: Jamar? Trengrove Vince
I/C: Viney Toumpas?
McKenzie? Blease? Fitzpatrick? Jetta? Evans? Michie? Tapscott? Spencer? Evans?
Not bad , I think our back 5 is almost a lock - just who plays on the other flank with Grimes?
Mat Jones finished 4th in the B&F so you would think he is on the ground.
Viney will play in the square.
Dawes to CHF
Mitchie if fit will start.

Back. Frawley, Garland,McDonald,Grimes, Terlich and Watts. There maybe other plans for Watts but I like his disposal and athleticism in defence.

Middle. Spencer, Viney, Jones, Vince, Tyson and Cross.

Forward. Clark, Dawes,Hogan, Howe, Evans and Trengove.

We have plenty of potential firepower forward and thus could leave Watts down back. There is some doubt, however, as to whether say Evans and Trengove can do the crumbing forward business when the ball hits the ground. And it will hit the groung a lot as our big forwards will not be outmarked very often.

Bench. Fitzy, Toumpas, Michie and pick 9.

If you include our new players and everyone is fit (unlikely but we can hope) then selecting a side actually poses many dilemas.(eg Matt Jones and Blease not in my side) Not a situation we have been familiar with in recent years

Edited by Bitter but optimistic

MELBOURNE

B: Garland Frawley Terlich

HB: Grimes McDonald Cross

C: Vince N.Jones Watts

HF: M.Jones Dawes Howe

F: Hogan Clark Kent

R: Gawn Trengrove Tyson

I/C: Viney, Toumpas, Fitzpatrick, Blease

ROUND 1 TEAM:

FB: Garland Frawley Strauss

HB: Terlich McDonald Grimes

C: Watts N Jones Vince

HF: Michie Hogan Howe

FF: Dawes Clark Kent

R: Gawn Viney Tyson

I/C: Trengove Toumpas Cross Sub: Blease

Unlucky: Clisby, Taggert and Tappy

The rest: Improve skill level and you'll get a look in.

This is a hard running disciplined football team with the skill to match. Roos is about gut running. Players who can run both forward and back

all day so as you can see there are plenty of players even on the HB and HF lines who can run through the middle to give the starting mids a break. Same goes with the bench. If all these runners can adhere to Roos' game style, we will be big improvers. They need to play like possessed demons, running hard at the ball and player. Swarm the contested situations, making sure we win as many contests as we can and getting on the run quickly. The beauty of having injected players like Vince, Cross, Michie and Tyson is that they are all smart footballers who make sound decisions. If they can play with the kind of intensity that Roos' teams are known for, then I'm not worried about their ability to get on the spread and make smart decisions. Something that Bail, McKenzie, Matt Jones, Evans, Dunn, Magner and Jetta seem incapable of doing.

Surprises to the side might be Strauss but I believe Roos will get him to play at the required intensity. If that happens, he will be an excellent back pocket because he can use the ball and can run and create. Needs som arrogance to his game. Clisby is the other who can grab that spot.

I like Terlich as a flanker as he provides fantastic run and attack, and despite what many people think, I believe he's a beautifully skilled player most of the time. It's his team mates that make his decision making look bad as he's always trying to find the best option rather than banging it on the boot ala Dunn.

Hogan as CHF because he has a huge tank and can also influence play when the ball is on the ground so he's extremely valuable as that high working CHF. Provides a massive aerial threat up the ground if play is stagnant and we're kicking long down the line. Dawes just doesn't provide the same sort of impact. Can't do much when the ball is on the ground and he's hands are nowhere near as good, however it'll be good for those two to be able to rotate throughout games so they can reserve their energy and therefore have more of an influence.

Howe and Michie play very important roles. Both are great runners and with another pre-season, will only have bigger engines. The HF line is extremely important in that you need to be able to get on your bike up the field and stream back when we're on the attack. They're both great marks and can do damage when the ball is in dispute so their running ability needs to be on show when the ball is moving quickly back into our forward 50. Trengove, Vince, Cross and even Tyson have the attributes to play this role well and they will be as part of normal rotations. Important position.

Clark and Hogan or Dawes deep in the forward line is a scary thought if we can use the ball well when entering forward 50. As I've said, you'd imagine it will improve thanks to the skilled mids we've brought in.

The only thing we're really missing is that manic forward pressure pocket who can kick goals. I've popped kent in there as I rate him and he is about the best we have currently. The benefit of having him is that he is another who next year after a pre-season will also be able to run through the midfield or play HF. He's got some great attributes. Blease is the other who can play it but needs to step up next year.

The theory with this team is that they all need to be playing team first, disciplined hard running football and play with some stink. I'm confident that Paul Roos and George Stone will bring this to fruition and get them on board. If they start playing this sort of footy, then get ready for lift-off my friends.

Can't wait for next year.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 5

B: Garland McDonald Terlich
HB: Grimes Frawley Toumpas
C: Watts Jones cross
HF: Vince Clark Trengove
F: Howe Dawes Hogan
FOL: Gawn Tyson Viney
I/C: No.9 (Freeman!?) Mitchie M.Jones
SUB: Fitzpatrick

Emergencies: Clisby, Kent, Evans, Dunn

ROUND 1 TEAM:

FB: Garland Frawley Strauss

HB: Terlich McDonald Grimes

C: Watts N Jones Vince

HF: Michie Hogan Howe

FF: Dawes Clark Kent

R: Gawn Viney Tyson

I/C: Trengove Toumpas Cross Sub: Blease

Unlucky: Clisby, Taggert and Tappy

The rest: Improve skill level and you'll get a look in.

This is a hard running disciplined football team with the skill to match. Roos is about gut running. Players who can run both forward and back

all day so as you can see there are plenty of players even on the HB and HF lines who can run through the middle to give the starting mids a break. Same goes with the bench. If all these runners can adhere to Roos' game style, we will be big improvers. They need to play like possessed demons, running hard at the ball and player. Swarm the contested situations, making sure we win as many contests as we can and getting on the run quickly. The beauty of having injected players like Vince, Cross, Michie and Tyson is that they are all smart footballers who make sound decisions. If they can play with the kind of intensity that Roos' teams are known for, then I'm not worried about their ability to get on the spread and make smart decisions. Something that Bail, McKenzie, Matt Jones, Evans, Dunn, Magner and Jetta seem incapable of doing.

Surprises to the side might be Strauss but I believe Roos will get him to play at the required intensity. If that happens, he will be an excellent back pocket because he can use the ball and can run and create. Needs som arrogance to his game. Clisby is the other who can grab that spot.

I like Terlich as a flanker as he provides fantastic run and attack, and despite what many people think, I believe he's a beautifully skilled player most of the time. It's his team mates that make his decision making look bad as he's always trying to find the best option rather than banging it on the boot ala Dunn.

Hogan as CHF because he has a huge tank and can also influence play when the ball is on the ground so he's extremely valuable as that high working CHF. Provides a massive aerial threat up the ground if play is stagnant and we're kicking long down the line. Dawes just doesn't provide the same sort of impact. Can't do much when the ball is on the ground and he's hands are nowhere near as good, however it'll be good for those two to be able to rotate throughout games so they can reserve their energy and therefore have more of an influence.

Howe and Michie play very important roles. Both are great runners and with another pre-season, will only have bigger engines. The HF line is extremely important in that you need to be able to get on your bike up the field and stream back when we're on the attack. They're both great marks and can do damage when the ball is in dispute so their running ability needs to be on show when the ball is moving quickly back into our forward 50. Trengove, Vince, Cross and even Tyson have the attributes to play this role well and they will be as part of normal rotations. Important position.

Clark and Hogan or Dawes deep in the forward line is a scary thought if we can use the ball well when entering forward 50. As I've said, you'd imagine it will improve thanks to the skilled mids we've brought in.

The only thing we're really missing is that manic forward pressure pocket who can kick goals. I've popped kent in there as I rate him and he is about the best we have currently. The benefit of having him is that he is another who next year after a pre-season will also be able to run through the midfield or play HF. He's got some great attributes. Blease is the other who can play it but needs to step up next year.

The theory with this team is that they all need to be playing team first, disciplined hard running football and play with some stink. I'm confident that Paul Roos and George Stone will bring this to the to fruition and get them on board. If they start playing this sort of footy, then get ready for lift-off my friends.

Can't wait for next year.

Like all this, Strauss has all the tools, just needs to get a good run at it with injuries..

Agreed, what about tapscott as a defender for strauss? Tapscott started in the back-line i recall and he tackled well for a small defender..

I struggle to find a role for Tappy - I think he might be a bit slow and lack agility for a defender. I don't think I could stand him always being 10m behind his man. The only possible future position for him in my eyes is if he models his game on paul chapmen. (Forward flank with stints in the midfield)

Edited by Young Dee
  • Like 3

B: Colin Garland James Frawley Jack Grimes

HB: Viv Michie Tom Mcdonald Bernie Vince

C: Daniel Cross Nathan Jones Dom Tyson

HF: Jeremy Howe Mitch Clark Jack Trengove

F: Michael Evans Jesse Hogan Jack Fitpatrick

FOL: Mark Jamar Jack Watts Jack Viney

I/C: Jordie Mckenzie Jimmy Toumpas Chris Dawes

SUB: Sam Blease

Apologies to: Mitch Clisby, Lyndon Dunn, Dean Kent, Matt Jones, Dean Terlich, Max Gawn, Jake Spencer and anyone else I've forgotten!

I like this one very much, except after a full preseason I would have Gawn ahead of jamar.. I think you have used our new recruits very wisely. I think we will draft Lennon at 9, in which case I would move howe to FP, drop Evans, and put Lennon on the flank. Otherwise couldn't fault this. Edited by Dees2014

I like this one very much, except after a full preseason I would have Gawn ahead of jamar.. I think you have used our new recruits very wisely. I think we will draft Lennon at 9, in which case I would move howe to FP, drop Evans, and put Lennon on the flank. Otherwise couldn't fault this.

Cheers and beers 2014! Personally I still think that Jamar is our best tap ruckman (if we still have him?). Although I think Gawn gives us more up forward so I will still go with Jamar. In the forward line I wanted a "crumbing forward", Howe doesn't fit this bill so I went with Evans who I was impressed with the few times he played before being injured. Would love to have a Dale Garlett at the big guys feet, we can dream?

B: Colin Garland James Frawley Jack Grimes

HB: Viv Michie Tom Mcdonald Bernie Vince

C: Daniel Cross Nathan Jones Dom Tyson

HF: Jeremy Howe Mitch Clark Jack Trengove

F: Michael Evans Jesse Hogan Jack Fitpatrick

FOL: Mark Jamar Jack Watts Jack Viney

I/C: Jordie Mckenzie Jimmy Toumpas Chris Dawes

SUB: Sam Blease

Apologies to: Mitch Clisby, Lyndon Dunn, Dean Kent, Matt Jones, Dean Terlich, Max Gawn, Jake Spencer and anyone else I've forgotten!

No way Watts starts on the ball in our best team possible.

If he is starting anywhere it is HFF if he is lucky.

• Like 1

You may just see him rejuvinated GM! He has the skill set

You seem to imply that Watts will be lucky to get a game, if so you are incorrect. I imagine he will be pencilled in early - in a suitable capacity.

You may just see him rejuvinated GM! He has the skill set

JW certainly has the skills but he is not ready to put his head down and burrow into a pack. I don't think that will ever be his game but he can be outstanding elsewhere.

I'm a bit pizzed so spelling.

Edited by Bitter but optimistic

I wouldn't be surprised if Roos tries to get Jack Watts to emulate Nat Fyfe's style of play. Similar attributes, but Watts is a better kick. If Watts develops the hunger........

Edited by Evans Above

MELBOURNE - Rnd1 2014
B: Grimes Frawley Garland
HB: Tyson McDonald Howe
C: Watts Vince Michie
HF: Hogan Dawes Trengrove
F: Evans Clark Viney
R: Gawn Cross N.Jones
I/C: Toumpas McKenzie Dunn M.Jones

Like the Howe to half back idea. He's a long penetrating kick and has the physical tools to match up on lots of different players. Also like the midfield focus. Don't like Dunn in the team when you've moved Howe to half back, seems unnecessary and think we need to get Tyson to the midfield mix as well. So I'd replace Dunn and put the replacement to half back and move Tyson to the bench. They have weaknesses for sure and aren't Malceski or Nick Smith but surely you can fit one of Terlich, Clisby or Strauss (or other options) from half back or lock down small defender.

I wouldn't be surprised if Roos tries to get Jack Watts to emulate Nat Fyfe's style of play. Similar attributes, but Watts is a better kick. If Watts develops the hunger........

Yep Watts needs to develop a hunger instinct and build a massive core strength over the off season. I too can see the attributes but needs to seriously throw himself into this summer with a different mindset.

Team for round 1

B/ Garland, Frawley, Terlich

H/B Grimes, Macdonald, Toumpas

C/ Watts, Vince, Cross

H/F Howe, Dawes, Trengrove

F/F Blease, Clark, Hogan

R/ Gawn, Jones, Tyson

Int/ Viney, Evans, Tapscott

Sub/ Clisby

Clark to have short stints in ruck

Evans to play instead of Mckenzie as a running skilful tagger