Jimmy Toumpas

jane02

If you run harder it usually means you accellerate

No it means you run further and push harder than others, when they stop you keep going, that's endurance and has absolutely nothing to do with acceleration.

Scott Pendelbury is a perfect example, he isn't fast but is damaging in space and is smart enough to find/make it.

No it means you run further and push harder than others, when they stop you keep going, that's endurance and has absolutely nothing to do with acceleration.

Scott Pendelbury is a perfect example, he isn't fast but is damaging in space and is smart enough to find/make it.

Sassy if you push harder than others you accellerate from them. If that doesn't happen you will not create space

Sassy if you push harder than others you accellerate from them. If that doesn't happen you will not create space

The nature of AFL is that you are not in play 100% of the time, if you run up and back harder than your opponent, them slacking off for even a second affords you the time and space you need, with quality disposal that is all you need,

Nick Rewoldt burns defenders off him because he is a far better endurance athlete, a player who has a powerful endurance base, you're describing an explosive athlete, someone who can use an explosive first few steps to get a bit of space, this looks great, but it's not the only way to be a quality outside player, i could make a list of good players that lack this.

it's simply about picking your moment and running to the right spots, speed or not is irrelevant if your endurance levels are stronger than your opponent you will find space because they won't be able to go with you.

The nature of AFL is that you are not in play 100% of the time, if you run up and back harder than your opponent, them slacking off for even a second affords you the time and space you need, with quality disposal that is all you need,

Nick Rewoldt burns defenders off him because he is a far better endurance athlete, a player who has a powerful endurance base, you're describing an explosive athlete, someone who can use an explosive first few steps to get a bit of space, this looks great, but it's not the only way to be a quality outside player, i could make a list of good players that lack this.

it's simply about picking your moment and running to the right spots, speed or not is irrelevant if your endurance levels are stronger than your opponent you will find space because they won't be able to go with you.

i understand all that and agree. But to burn off opponents right up to the last quarter to create space means you must have great power in the legs

Toumpas is a great kick, easy to see but for him to be able to kick well he needs time and space.

If players are on his hammer he is going to be off balance. Accelleration is important imo

We've got exactly that player at our club - has that burst of speed that enables him to accelerate away and create space.

Unfortunately, for the moment at least, that's pretty well all he has, so he spends most of time at Casey.

Sam Blease.

• Like 1

We've got exactly that player at our club - has that burst of speed that enables him to accelerate away and create space.

Unfortunately, for the moment at least, that's pretty well all he has, so he spends most of time at Casey.

Sam Blease.

yes. One must be multiskilled to make it.

i understand all that and agree. But to burn off opponents right up to the last quarter to create space means you must have great power in the legs

Toumpas is a great kick, easy to see but for him to be able to kick well he needs time and space.

If players are on his hammer he is going to be off balance. Accelleration is important imo

Whilst acceleration can be important it is more than compensated by lateral movement. All those mentioned ( Sidebottom, Dal Santo, Pendlebury) have great lateral movement - evasive skill. Pendlebury in any quarter does't burn off opponents - he evades opponents. There is a major difference.

You do not need to burn off opponents to create space and hard running is about continuing to run when you are tired, namely pushing yourself. Simon Black, Pendlebury are just two players who created space because they read the play so well or they had awareness, Speed of thought and ball movement can negate speed by foot on occassion

• Like 2

You do not need to burn off opponents to create space and hard running is about continuing to run when you are tired, namely pushing yourself. Simon Black, Pendlebury are just two players who created space because they read the play so well or they had awareness, Speed of thought and ball movement can negate speed by foot on occassion

Yes i know.

Pushing when you are tired is to accellerate. You either can or cannot.

Awareness of opponents is a standard necessity. You have to be sharp to play AFL. Some are better than others. If Toumpas remains slow from the hips he will need to be dam good at everything else if he is to play in the middle

Drop Toumpas? Surely not. Young player, making an honest mid-range contribution and seeming to grow in the role.

Sometimes I worry that we've been fed so much cheap baloney under the slogan 'it takes time' that we forget that, well, in some cases it genuinely does take time.

I think comparisons with Camporeale are reasonable, and I think most of us would be content is Toumpas went on to play 200+ games for the club at a generally good standard, yeah?

For what it's worth, I keep picturing Toumpas as being more like Essendon's Stanton. Certainly the early-career stats are comparable, as is the body type. Not to mention the amount of fan rage directed so unreasonably at each of them!

• Like 1

Yes i know.

Pushing when you are tired is to accellerate. You either can or cannot.

Awareness of opponents is a standard necessity. You have to be sharp to play AFL. Some are better than others. If Toumpas remains slow from the hips he will need to be dam good at everything else if he is to play in the middle

A player can run around the field at teh same pace all day without accelarating but due to fantastic conditioning, fitness and ability to push through pain he can find space

It's desire, heart and nothing to do with Acceleration or Speed

• Like 1

A player can run around the field at teh same pace all day without accelarating but due to fantastic conditioning, fitness and ability to push through pain he can find space

It's desire, heart and nothing to do with Acceleration or Speed

PSD pushing through pain is accellerating. Otherwise you would stop exhausted.

PSD pushing through pain is accellerating. Otherwise you would stop exhausted.

Oh FFS I thought explaining things to my 6 & 7 year old was difficult

If you leave your foot on a the accelarator the car goes at a certain speed

You can apply more pressure with your foot or less

If the car runs out of petrol it stops

RPM?

Oh FFS I thought explaining things to my 6 & 7 year old was difficult

If you leave your foot on a the accelarator the car goes at a certain speed

You can apply more pressure with your foot or less

If the car runs out of petrol it stops

RPM?

Yes i did 3 years of Physics. Thanks for that.

Feel like people want him to fail. Sad.

I don't think that is the case HFF.

Remember you are on a fan site for the worst performing club this decade.

People as desperate for early draft picks to show early form.

So far over the last eight years 90% have been miserable failures.

So when they look at Toumpas and they see less than wonderful they feel

Oh no hear we go again. Of course it is not helped by the alternative pick tearing them up another club.

I doubt there is one person on Demonland that wants him to fail.

But some have severe doubts.

I don't think that is the case HFF.

Remember you are on a fan site for the worst performing club this decade.

People as desperate for early draft picks to show early form.

So far over the last eight years 90% have been miserable failures.

So when they look at Toumpas and they see less than wonderful they feel

Oh no hear we go again. Of course it is not helped by the alternative pick tearing them up another club.

I doubt there is one person on Demonland that wants him to fail.

But some have severe doubts.

Several decades!

• Like 1