The player Jack Trengove will become when we get more quality midfielders

Grimseyisgod

If Melbourne were able to get an extra 2-3 gun midfielders Jack Trengove in my opinion would become one of the most elite and damaging players in the Melbourne side and could seriously become a match winner.

I reckon with 3 other players averaging 25+ possessions he could push his disposal count to 25 and become an absolute freak

thoughts?

• Like 3

I understand how a player could get better with support around them but I don't understand how Trengove gets to elite and damaging due to other players.

I also don't understand how getting his disposal count to 25 per game makes him a freak.

Here's what we know about Trengove:

Strengths

- Hard at the ball

- Strong tackler

- Good endurance that is likely to pick up with a good preseason

- Good mark for his size

Weaknesses

- Speed

- Disposal has been only average

I think with a good preseason he'll accumulate more footy and also find a quicker initial step to win more ball at the contests. Right now he seems so plain and to lack a weapon in any form of the game. Hopefully that changes in the next couple of years. If he does improve a little everyone will appreciate him because besides his speed he won't have a lot of weaknesses.

What's your basis for any of that? How will the 3 other midfielders transform his game so dramatically? You've provided nothing to really comment upon.

Also, aren't you the guy who described Grimes as "a beautiful kick"?

It's great that you have faith in our captains, but they have alot of self improvement to go before they are even good players, let alone amongst the "most elite".

• Like 1

He's too slow, seems to have lost his zip, strength in his legs as well as penetration on his kick.

Looks like OP but, I am sure the club would not be playing him if this was the case. A shadow of the player he was in his first 2 seasons.

However, he reads the play very well, is a superb tackle. He looks the same sort of player as McLean. I am sure that if you put a champion mid-field around him he would be a very useful and dangerous player as the 5th midfielder who is thus not tagged. Just like McLean.

Unless he regains speed and strength he will never be more.

• Like 6

I suppose the only way we'll know for sure is when Melb. get a decent midfield. Now that possibility is something to ponder. Probably akin to that "what is the meaning of life" stuff.

edit typo.

With Jones the top line midfielder, Viney the contested ball machine and (based on last week anyway) McKenzie a good tagger the difference for our inside midfielders at least is guys like Trengove and Sylvia taking a step up. Sure Jones and Viney isn't a top 2 like a Pendlebury and Swan or Selwood and Stevie J but they are what we've got. If we are waiting for a superstar for our midlevel players to step up we will be waiting a long time.

• Like 1

I understand how a player could get better with support around them but I don't understand how Trengove gets to elite and damaging due to other players.

I also don't understand how getting his disposal count to 25 per game makes him a freak.

Here's what we know about Trengove:

Strengths

- Hard at the ball

- Strong tackler

- Good endurance that is likely to pick up with a good preseason

- Good mark for his size

Weaknesses

- Speed

- Disposal has been only average

I think with a good preseason he'll accumulate more footy and also find a quicker initial step to win more ball at the contests. Right now he seems so plain and to lack a weapon in any form of the game. Hopefully that changes in the next couple of years. If he does improve a little everyone will appreciate him because besides his speed he won't have a lot of weaknesses.

Well because Trengove is an outside player and he has good workrate he will be passed the ball on the outside and his possession count will go right up.

The speed will improve as he gets his full fitness back

What's your basis for any of that? How will the 3 other midfielders transform his game so dramatically? You've provided nothing to really comment upon.

Also, aren't you the guy who described Grimes as "a beautiful kick"?

It's great that you have faith in our captains, but they have alot of self improvement to go before they are even good players, let alone amongst the "most elite".

Trengove would get enough support from other players in our midfield, players who play on the inside and give it to Trengove. Steele Sidebottom is an outside player and i believe that Trengove can hit that level pretty quickly.

Grimes really does have a nice kick mate

Trengove would get enough support from other players in our midfield, players who play on the inside and give it to Trengove. Steele Sidebottom is an outside player and i believe that Trengove can hit that level pretty quickly.

Grimes really does have a nice kick mate

Trenners has to improve the strength in his legs and his speed over all distances by about 200% if he is to be any kind of damaging outside player. His defenders downplay the speed issue, but at this level it's a big issue and there's no sign of it being rectified.

I think Redleg(?) put it best - Grimes is a nice kick, the ball just doesn't go where he wants it to.

will be a gun dont worry about trenners talent plus work ethic equals success watts has talent but no work ethic so id be more worried about him.

• Like 1

Trengove has a problem of being stationary and ball watching, so when he has to take off and chase he is VERY slow off the mark. He needs those few extra meters of reading the play and running already to a spot where he has to tackle or he has to receive a handball to gain some yardage and run and explode at a much quicker rate.

Edited by juzzk1d
  • Like 3

Trengove has a problem of being stationary and ball watching, so when he has to take off and chase he is VERY slow off the mark. He needs those few extra meters of reading the play and running already to a spot where he has to tackle or he has to receive a handball to gain some yardage and run and explode at a much quicker rate.

This is actually very accurate from what I have noticed also. I spent a couple of games watching him specifically. He isn't on the move enough around the contest. he reads it and heads to the right position but he takes off from a standstill. Not only does it make him slow to the contest (and away from it) but also puts a lot more work through his legs having to sprint from scratch every bloody contest. No wonder to me he looks like his legs weigh a ton. He is putting too much load through the legs too much of the time

• Like 1

I just can't imagine Trengove ever being elite but until he shakes off OP or finds some leg speed I don't really think we can judge him.

If he has got OP or some reason for this speed issue than good - hope he can get over it but if he is always going to be slow than I don't think he will ever be great.

I have noticed Dustin Martin also looks as if he has lost a bit of speed (same age as Trengove - same issue?) he has a bit of a waddle as if he hasn't grown into his body yet (quite funny).

Edited by Young Dee
  • Like 1

As much as i believe he has OP and the stress fracture would still be having an impact he has never had a really good midfield coach, imagine the influence Adam Simpson or Michael Voss would have on him!

His speed (particularly his horrendous lack of acceleration) will stop him from being any better than just OK, support or no support.

I wonder if he's had OP but his captaincy duties have maybe pressured him somewhat into pushing through. Whatever it is, something's gone wrong because the footage of him has a youngster showed he had great speed and could really burst from a pack with ease.

According to Missions program the players should be fully fit and up to scratch next year, i still feel a full pre season with no injuries, and a little bit of confidence and Trengove will find his zip again, give him that back and he is a totally different player, the skill errors are clearly above the shoulders because isn't always terrible, he is normally above average with disposals,

so fingers crossed, 20 touches and five tackles is his average at the moment, so if you forget he was a number 2 pick, that is very acceptable in such a poor team.

I don't completely disagree with you, however, I think the argument about players not being good because of the personnel around them is just a petty excuse you could make for any of our players who should be stepping up and taking the game by their hold.

If it's a cultural/developmental issue that none of these players can play a great game with the personnel we have, who says a couple of new recruits will fix that? We already lack teamwork, I doubt it'll be fixed instantly.

According to Missions program the players should be fully fit and up to scratch next year, i still feel a full pre season with no injuries, and a little bit of confidence and Trengove will find his zip again, give him that back and he is a totally different player, the skill errors are clearly above the shoulders because isn't always terrible, he is normally above average with disposals,

so fingers crossed, 20 touches and five tackles is his average at the moment, so if you forget he was a number 2 pick, that is very acceptable in such a poor team.

Only 17 actually, it's quite a big difference. 17 possessions of little quality. He averaged over 20 in 2011, and his clearances and inside 50s have gone down since then too. He's simply not giving enough for the team and has lost plenty of speed/effort and impact over this year and last.

I don't completely disagree with you, however, I think the argument about players not being good because of the personnel around them is just a petty excuse you could make for any of our players who should be stepping up and taking the game by their hold.

I completely agree with you mate, but only to a point.

Players on the outside need personnel around them. So someone like Nathan Jones or Jack Viney (in a few years), there would be no excuse to not get enough of the ball, becasue they are contested ball winners, Trengove isnt soo much.

I said this earlier in the year but every poor game Trengove plays this year, he can be excused because of his heavily injury interrupted pre-season. If he wasn't captain he would of played for Casey for 3-5 weeks.

However if there's no improvement next year after a healthy pre-season, then it's panic stations for Trenners.

will be a gun dont worry about trenners talent plus work ethic equals success watts has talent but no work ethic so id be more worried about him.

Why will he be a gun?

He hasn't shown it yet. I think we are praying he will get there purely based on the position he went in the draft.