Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

Guest José Mourinho

Can anyone honestly say that the bombers aren't screwed? If the bomber players had PED's injected into them without their knowledge who gave the order to do it? You would think the club doctors were told by someone to do it. Why would someone risk their career without being told to do it? I can't see the heirarchy at Essendon not knowing about this.

It needs to be proved first though, which can be hard when some of these PED's can't be detected through testing.

Instead they need evidence of them being administered, and of what they were.

Tough to establish.

Phone intercepts, etc. may provide enough evidence, if admissible.

It needs to be proved first though, which can be hard when some of these PED's can't be detected through testing.

Instead they need evidence of them being administered, and of what they were.

Tough to establish.

Phone intercepts, etc. may provide enough evidence, if admissible.

For the bombers it looks as though a best case scenario would be that they were injected without their knowledge of what the drugs were. Which gets the players off the hook but surely the club is knee deep in it.

Can anyone honestly say that the bombers aren't screwed? If the bomber players had PED's injected into them without their knowledge who gave the order to do it? You would think the club doctors were told by someone to do it. Why would someone risk their career without being told to do it? I can't see the heirarchy at Essendon not knowing about this.

There was a while there when I thought we'd gone too early putting the boot into the bombers..... Seems like this is not the case!

Happy days

Rot in hell bombers 1871 - 2013

• Like 1

Guest José Mourinho

For the bombers it looks as though a best case scenario would be that they were injected without their knowledge of what the drugs were. Which gets the players off the hook but surely the club is knee deep in it.

How does it get players off the hook??

They'd still be competing with other players whilst maintaining an unfair advantage.

The players would still be suspended, but maybe only for the minimum 2 years.

Guest José Mourinho

And I hop the payer accused of taking peds is [censored]

I don't.

I don't think it's [the player whose name has been censored], and I have a feeling he'll find another way to get himself a hefty suspension...

Edited by Whispering_Jack
no names at this stage please

I don't think that would be enough to get the players off the hook if the drugs are found to be illegal, ignorance is no excuse particularly if they were told it was right on the edge and it would improve performance.

• Like 1

How does it get players off the hook??

They'd still be competing with other players whilst maintaining an unfair advantage.

The players would still be suspended, but maybe only for the minimum 2 years.

Is that the case that even if a player was unaware of what was in his system they are still treated like a willing drug cheat? If so they are worse off then I thought.

Well it looks like the Bombers have been grounded indefinately.

"Whatever it takes" remember TAA, PAN AM, COMPASS?

The Lawyers are going to take that club apart once all the claims go through.

I agree with Demon WA. i still see Dean Wallis running around in 2000.

Enjoy your world of pain.

Guest José Mourinho

Is that the case that even if a player was unaware of what was in his system they are still treated like a willing drug cheat? If so they are worse off then I thought.

How could you possibly let a player, let alone a team, continue to compete with an unfair advantage over the rest?

What if they went on to win the flag?

What if they knocked a team out of the finals?

What if a team lost to them and then missed the finals by percentage?

You simply couldn't let them compete.

Guest José Mourinho

Interesting question. I would imagine no but that just raises the next question, what if it was 2 players or 3 or 4. Where do you draw the line?

What if it was just 1 player, but that player won the Norm Smith?

• Like 1

How could you possibly let a player, let alone a team, continue to compete with an unfair advantage over the rest?

What if they went on to win the flag?

What if they knocked a team out of the finals?

What if a team lost to them and then missed the finals by percentage?

You simply couldn't let them compete.

Problem is the AFL has said that this investigation will go on for months. We all know how long and drawn out an AFL investigation can be. Bombers will be playing in 2013 unless someone spills their guts very soon. I agree though all players should be banned even if they had no knowledge. I really didn't know if a players punishment would be less or none if they had no knowledge.

Can you imagine the legal costs Essendon will incur if players were injected with banned substances without their knowledge?

Every player and sponsor could sue them for millions.

World of pain.

Our old mate Caro said as much the other night that players were exploring legal options if they are found guilty. Most bomber fans I speak to think there is no case to answer and no drama's to come. They truely have their heads not in the sand but up their ass.

The 7.30 Report tomorrow night will be interesting viewing to say the least. There may have been some interesting calls fielded in the last few days. It's been previously stated that that no illegal substances or PED's were injected into the players. It's also been previously stated that these 'supplements' were supplied from a well known 'source'.

The trouble could be that the ACC might have some incriminating evidence. I suspect there will be a denial of any sort of wrong doing but it won't be the end of things. This whole new inquiry could go on for months and months before all those involved are satisfied.

Well it looks like the Bombers have been grounded indefinately.

"Whatever it takes" remember TAA, PAN AM, COMPASS?

The Lawyers are going to take that club apart once all the claims go through.

I agree with Demon WA. i still see Dean Wallis running around in 2000.

Enjoy your world of pain.

After Sheedy left, the power vaccuum happened @ Board level. Knights was shafted in order to get Bomba back, & Hird in.

The old board were shuffled aside, & the Bling Board have brought this on.

The superficiality of modern footy is Killing this once great game.

Reduce the Interchange to 2 + 2, & let the game return to its origins.

Players will stay in their positions mostly, & it will be more entertaining. One on One matchups. Star on Star, instead of tag team stoppers rotating thru the bench.

FFS, bring back Footy!

• Like 5

After Sheedy left, the power vaccuum happened @ Board level. Knights was shafted in order to get Bomba back, & Hird in.

The old board were shuffled aside, & the Bling Board have brought this on.

The superficiality of modern footy is Killing this once great game.

Reduce the Interchange to 2 + 2, & let the game return to its origins.

Players will stay in their positions mostly, & it will be more entertaining. One on One matchups. Star on Star, instead of tag team stoppers rotating thru the bench.

FFS, bring back Footy!

I wonder if the all mighty rules committee have some little bit of blame in all of this. I stress little but interchange rules and making the game quicker has pushed the required fitness levels to an all time high. You are correct bring back footy as we all knew it.

Problem is the AFL has said that this investigation will go on for months. We all know how long and drawn out an AFL investigation can be. Bombers will be playing in 2013 unless someone spills their guts very soon. I agree though all players should be banned even if they had no knowledge. I really didn't know if a players punishment would be less or none if they had no knowledge.

We do but this is no longer an AFL investigation.

I wonder if the all mighty rules committee have some little bit of blame in all of this. I stress little but interchange rules and making the game quicker has pushed the required fitness levels to an all time high. You are correct bring back footy as we all knew it.

they played a small part, probably pressured by the broadcasters who want the game to move.

Will be fascinating to see how the league handle all this.

Doubt it will help Essendrug though...Major turbulence ahead.

Edited by why you little

Our old mate Caro said as much the other night that players were exploring legal options if they are found guilty. Most bomber fans I speak to think there is no case to answer and no drama's to come. They truely have their heads not in the sand but up their ass.

Yeah, it's almost a carbon copy of how we've reacted to the tanking claims except ....... I'm not sure some of their supporters realise how serious this whole thing is. There seems to be bit of a lack of understanding about the anti doping agencies and the ACC.

If illegal substances were administered they are in a world of trouble. Whether the players or officials knew about it or not. There is a bit of wriggle room with the anti drug agencies but not much. Sentences have been reduced previously but only under extraordinary circumstances. It's not that easy to do a deal.

If PED's are proven to be injected then their first 9 games last season comes under question. The clubs that they defeated (amongst them North, Carlton, Richmond and West Coast) may have been at an unfair advantage. Ladder positions could have been affected as well. Obviously not much can be done to change what has happened but it can illustrate as to what penalties could be handed out going forward.

Edited by Macca

the extra interchange rotations, from the 2 Int', to 3, then 4, has slowly changed the game.

Add, to this, sports science, & the 4 man interchange is too much,,, & stoppers can run a star off their natural legs. Especially with Tag Teaming.

Bring in 2 on 1 star, & add the defensive zone in case of messing it up.

The randomness & spontaneous creativity of a Robbie Flower, has been stolen from the game...

Its time for the game to Go 'Organic'.

"After all that [censored] hoohaar on Thursday, what we have is one individual, and a club that has been potentially duped. And surprise surprise some no neck thugby players doin roids. No match fixing in the AFL. So assuming we get off, the AFL actually only has one person of interest. Is this a sick Joke?
We have copped so much enormous and unnecessary additional heat an innuendo over this c*** of a government's political grandstanding."

Just took the above of B'Blitz. This halfwit is blaming the government! The are some real rocket scientists on Blitz. Great reading.

• Like 1