List Management - 2013

rpfc

For those he are squeamish about talking about list turnover in July - this thread is not for you...

LIST MANAGEMENT - A Red & Blue October

When it comes to deletions from the list every year I like to have a look at what is the minimum amount of talent we want to bring in and tailor the deletions from the list based on what we can bring in. For example, if cutting Tynan brings in ND96 then it would not be worth cutting Tynan.

First we should look at what we WILL bring in, as opposed to incoming FAs and trades.

1. Hogan

2. ND2

3. ND21

4. ND41

5. PSD2

6. ND61

7. ND82

8. RU - Magner

9. RU - Clisby (R - has extra year)

10. ND95

11. ND105

12. ND111

Sylvia possibly leaving takes care of itself, I expect a pick following our second round pick (ND22).

The possible deletions can be any fringe player of course, but the easiest to move are those out of contract. This is my order of deletion preference for those OOC: MacDonald, Gillies, Jetta, Davis, Sellar, Rodan, Davey, Nicholson, Tynan, Fitzpatrick, Taggert, Gawn, and Watts.

From here we evaluate each place on the list against its replacement:

MacDonald - Hogan

Gillies - ND2

Jetta - ND21

Davis - ND41

Sellar - PSD2

Rodan - ND61

Davey - ND82

Nicholson - Magner

Tynan - Clisby

Fitzpatrick - ND95

Taggert - ND105

Gawn and Watts are obviously not going to be delisted.

Those in green are additions that I think are worth the delisting of that player.

So I can see 6 definite changes to the list with the future of Davey and Nicholson dependent on whether we get any draft assistance, can attract FAs and/or whether we can trade out players in much the same way Morton and Gysberts were traded.

I find this is useful when posters claim we should get rid of Player X without first thinking about what we would bring in.

• Like 4

With a brand new coach coming in I reckon list turnover wont be as big as we were initially thinking as the new coach (unless it's Craig of course) will probably want to have a first hand look at the players. Hence outside of Jack Watts (3 year deal), Colin Sylvia (3 year deal) and Max Gawn (2 year deal) I reckon we'll see a lot of 1 year deal contract extensions.

My very early prediction would be.

1 year deals:

David Rodan

Josh Tynan

Daniel Nicholson

Aaron Davey

Rory Taggert

Jack Fitzpatrick

Mitch Clisby (2nd year on rookie list)

Delist:

James Magner (rookie)

Tom Gillies

Joel MacDonald

James Sellar

Neville Jetta

Troy Davis

Tom Couch (rookie)

Nathan Stark (rookie)

Upgraded 17 year old:

Jesse Hogan

National Draft:

Pick 2: James Aish (Norwood), Jack Billings (Oakleigh Chargers), Luke Dunstan (Woodville West-Torrens) or Dominic Sheed (Subiaco)

Pick 19: Trent Dumont (Norwood) or Nathan Freeman (Sandringham Dragons)

Pick 36: Eli Templeton (Burnie)

Pick 54: Chris Michaelidis (Sandringham Zebras)

Pick 72: PASS

Rookie Draft:

Pick 2: Khan Haretuku (Frankston Dolphins)

Pick 20: Jared Risol (Perth Demons)

Pick 38: Re-draft Troy Davis (Melbourne Demons)

That's just the way I'd be looking to build the list though.

• Like 1

Great read RPFC as always, I admit though I had to read through twice to make sense of it (from the country so I'm a little slooooow sometimes)

I think that one of Davis, Sellar or god save us Gillies will will stay on as depth for our back line but happy with your order.

Wanted to ask why you are so confident of Sylvia leaving however?

Also, why is PS2 higher than ND61? Surely if we wanted someone we could pick them within the draft first before going to the pre season draft?

I think davey has another year left in him, possibly 2(but unlikely). He has produced the goods at times this year and is pretty much our only small fwd and while he may've lost some pace since his best days he stil has the abillity to create something out of nothing and he is still a very good kick. If indeed he is moved on we should keep him in some sort of role behind the scenes.

• Like 3

tonatopia, on 06 Jul 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:snapback.png

Yep, get rid of davey, Nicholson and jetta, well done Einstein.

Davey may get another year given his form has been good this year.

Nicholson and Jetta have had a lot of time and still cant cement a spot in a terrible side.... they both must go.

Pretty good summary all together, I think we might try to clear out a few contracted players too as i reckon we will use a few more pics.

As you said, will all depend on new coach id imagine

I think the delisting of someone like Davey would depend on who we're looking at replacing him with (the essence of your post, rpfc). It seems obvious but unless the player in an upgrade on Davey, I'd be keeping him. His skills are still excellent, he just doesn't get enough of it and has lost some pace. I'd be keeping Sellar for depth as well personally.

With a brand new coach coming in I reckon list turnover wont be as big as we were initially thinking as the new coach (unless it's Craig of course) will probably want to have a first hand look at the players. Hence outside of Jack Watts (3 year deal), Colin Sylvia (3 year deal) and Max Gawn (2 year deal) I reckon we'll see a lot of 1 year deal contract extensions.

1 year deals:

David Rodan

Josh Tynan

Daniel Nicholson

Aaron Davey

Rory Taggert

Jack Fitzpatrick

Delist:

James Magner (rookie)

Tom Gillies

Joel MacDonald

James Sellar

Neville Jetta

Troy Davis

Tom Couch (rookie)

Nathan Stark (rookie)

Upgraded 17 year old:

Jesse Hogan

National Draft:

Pick 2: James Aish (Norwood), Jack Billings (Oakleigh Chargers), Luke Dunstan (Woodville West-Torrens) or Dominic Sheed (Subiaco)

Rookie Draft:

I agree for the most part but I would with your keep/delist list, but I would also keep Sellar. However, I would put Tom McDonald up for trade if the price was right and would seek to get St Kilda's second round pick. (The rationale being his kicking.)

We should also look to trade all of Jamar, McKenzie and Tapscott, to get pick upgrades IMO. i.e. Jamar + #20 in exchange for #14.

Given our salary cap space and Buddy being likely to go to GWS, I think we should try to use our PSD pick.

Flash, Rodan and Nicholson will need to finish the season well also to get contracts.

Good post rpfc!

Taggert?

Bit harsh To even be on that list I think and Fitzy showed a little recently but otherwise good list.

We desperatly need to get rid of these C grade players with little potential (no future) but can't divide/unsettle the team in the process. The coaching group needs to show they believe in the core group of players.

I think all of MacDonald, Gilles, Sellar, Rodan definately have to go and probably Jetta, Nicho and Davey.

Rookies: Couch and Magner should be replaced with youth (more potential).

Could easily cut more (Bail? Davis? etc.) The only problem as rpfc mentioned was we have to weigh the ins and outs to see if it is worth it + how much it would unsettle the group (have to learn from Neelds mistakes)

• Like 1

I agree that Mac, Gillies, Sellar we need to see the back of but what happens if there is a injury down back. We need to keep Davis at least for another year as insurance just in case.

I agree that Mac, Gillies, Sellar we need to see the back of but what happens if there is a injury down back. We need to keep Davis at least for another year as insurance just in case.

Or re-draft him as a rookie. Or draft someone to fill that role in Delisted FA. Or from the state leagues.

Or re-draft him as a rookie. Or draft someone to fill that role in Delisted FA. Or from the state leagues.

1 year deals:

David Rodan

Josh Tynan

Daniel Nicholson

Aaron Davey

Rory Taggert

Jack Fitzpatrick

Delist:

James Magner (rookie)

Tom Gillies

Joel MacDonald

James Sellar

Neville Jetta

Troy Davis

Tom Couch (rookie)

Nathan Stark (rookie)

Upgraded 17 year old:

Jesse Hogan

National Draft:

Rookie Draft:

Way ahead of you rpfc with my suggested last two rookie picks.

Jared Risol mature age, rebounding KPD playing with Perth Demons in the WAFL, 23 years old I believe and having a pretty good year. And throw in re-drafting Troy Davis also. Just as insurance until we secure Chip long term.

The issue with Davey from my seat in the gods is simply does he really provide more value staying as opposed freeing up a spot ?

Yes folks...is he on the verge of becoming that dreaded varietel ...a list clogger ?

Hes had a couple of OK games this season which is far more than many of us expected but is that really enough. We come back to the old jewel of a situation, is it better to get a few games into someone else or keep playing Davey ?

Aaron isnt going to be around come the next window. His replacement should be.

Becomes a pretty straightforward decision in reality.

The issue with Davey from my seat in the gods is simply does he really provide more value staying as opposed freeing up a spot ?

Yes folks...is he on the verge of becoming that dreaded varietel ...a list clogger ?

Hes had a couple of OK games this season which is far more than many of us expected but is that really enough. We come back to the old jewel of a situation, is it better to get a few games into someone else or keep playing Davey ?

Aaron isnt going to be around come the next window. His replacement should be.

Becomes a pretty straightforward decision in reality.

I will just throw out something for all those that bemoan 'list cloggers': if you have to replace someone with no future (a clogger) at the club with Teenage Pick 85, you have to keep that Teenage Pick 85 for two years. Whereas you could have kept that 'clogger' for one year and moved him on then.

Digest that.

• Like 2

Delist(8)

Jake Spencer

Joel MacDonald

Neville Jetta

Rohan Bail

Tom Gillies OR James Sellar

Troy Davis OR Lynden Dunn

David Rodan OR Aaron Davey

Daniel Nicholson (trade)

Tom Couch (rookie)

James Magner (rookie)

Nathan Stark (rookie)

Ins:

1. Upgraded 17 year old:Jesse Hogan
  2. National Draft #2: Luke Dunstan (Woodville West-Torrens) or Dominic Sheed (Subiaco)
  3. National Draft #20: Kade Kolodjashnji (Tassie), Billy Hartung (Dandening Stingrays) or Nathan Freeman (Sandringham Dragons)
  4. National Draft #40: Zak Jones (Dandenong Stingrays), Jake Kolodjashnji (Tassie), or Patrick Cripps (WA)
  5. Free agent: Dale Thomas or Daniel Cross
  6. Jarryd Lyons (Crows), Trade: Daniel Nicholson
  7. Mitch Hallahan (PSD#2)
  8. Delisted Free agent: Alex Silvagni (Fremantle)

Rookie Draft:

Pick 2: Chris Michaelidis (Sandringham Zebras) – speedy small fwd

Pick 20: Jake Best (Casey Scorpions)- pacy goalkicking half forward

Pick 38: Bart McCulloch (Sth launceston, Tassie) – big agile ruckman, prev on Lions list

Edited by spirit of norm smith

KEEP

Mitch Clark

Chris Dawes

Jack Fitzpatrick

Jack Watts

Jeremy Howe

Nathan Jones

Jack Viney

Jimmy Toumpas

Jack Trengove

Rory Taggert

Mitchell Clisby

Michael Evans

Dean Kent

Jack Grimes

Matt Jones

Dean Terlich

Sam Blease

Dom Barry

Nathan Stark

James Frawley

Colin Garland

Tom McDonald

James Sellar

Cameron Pedersen

Mark Jamar

Max Gawn

Jake Spencer

DELIST

James Magner

Tom Couch

Shannon Byrnes

David Rodan

Tom Gillies

Joel MacDonald

Lynden Dunn

Neville Jetta

Rohan Bail

UNDECIDED

Luke Tapscott

Troy Davis

Jordie McKenzie

Daniel Nicholson

James Strauss

Josh Tynan

FREE AGENTS

Aaron Davey

Colin Sylvia

The DRAFT

From 2014 we can add Jesse Hogan to the Senior List and we are all looking forward to that

The Tom Boyd factor

I would expect GWS will have the number 1 draft pick and with Tom Boyd touted by most as the best player in the draft

GWS have already stated that this pick is tradeable for the right player or some other tradeable arrangement

I see several clubs making a play for this pick as a Tom Boyd looks to be a quality KPF that would fill a void by many clubs

GWS themselves may be just prodding to see what they can get and if not truly satisfied keep Boyd for themselves as they hold the cards

GWS have to make sure they are not trading away a player that ends up being better than what they already have

I expect Franklin to leave Hawthorn and join GWS to make Tom Scully look like a Pauper

One wonders how deep are the pockets of GWS compared to everyone else

From the Melbourne perspective

Frawley or McDonald are the only 2 players we have that GWS would think about trading their #1 Draft Pick for

I think we have enough evidence that both of these players are key to our defence and are deemed not negotiable by most supporters

I think it is very important that Melbourne gets Frawley to sign a new deal before he becomes a free agent in 2015

Who to Draft

The question most supporters will be wondering is have we learnt from the past?

Our priority should be to draft the best midfielders available with our first 3 picks

There is an abundance of quality midfielders in this draft and that depth looks likely to last into the second round of which we currently have an early pick each round

This draft looks likely to have some good midfielders left by the time we have our third round pick

Our fourth rounder should be used to pick up a Ruckman unless of course we have set our sights on a midfielder that remains available when it is our turn

By the 5th round I would expect the quality of midfielders would drop significantly enough to look at other options such as another tall defender or even a small forward which are void at Melbourne

There are quite a few Ruckman in this draft although there are no real stand outs and most think the first few will start being drafted early in the fourth round

Not every team will be as void of Midfielders as we are but besides Boyd the majority of players deemed as the best available are in fact midfielder types

FREE AGENCIES

IMO the majority of the players we got as Free/Restricted agents was a failure

I really doubt we have the ability to trade players for higher draft picks and for it to be viable I would say nothing above pick 30 would be worth it anyway

Sylvia I expect to use the rule to advance his chances of playing in finals and a premiership

While there are a few really good players in the following list of Free Agents I would doubt we have enough attraction or cash to add one of them to our list in 2014

The only one I would consider is Dale Thomas

What is not to like about a 26 year old goal kicking A grade midfielder who could play for another 150 games

I still think he would be too expensive but no harm in asking

ADELAIDE
Free agents:

Jason Porplyzia (unrestricted)
Ben Rutten (unrestricted)
Scott Thompson (restricted)

BRISBANE LIONS
Free agents:

Simon Black (unrestricted)
Jonathan Brown (unrestricted)

Carlton
Free agents:

Eddie Betts (restricted)
Heath Scotland (unrestricted)

COLLINGWOOD
Free agents:

Alan Didak (unrestricted)
Ben Johnson (unrestricted)
Nick Maxwell (restricted)
Dale Thomas (restricted)
Alan Toovey (unrestricted)

ESSENDON
Free agents:

Dustin Fletcher (unrestricted)
David Hille (unrestricted)
Nathan Lovett-Murray (unrestricted)
Jason Winderlich (unrestricted)

FREMANTLE
Free agents:

None

GEELONG
Free agents:

Paul Chapman (unrestricted)

Joel Corey (unrestricted)
Corey Enright (unrestricted)
Josh Hunt (unrestricted)
Mathew Stokes (unrestricted)

HAWTHORN
Free agents:

Max Bailey (unrestricted)
Xavier Ellis (unrestricted)
Lance Franklin (restricted
Brent Guerra (unrestricted)
Michael Osborne (unrestricted)

MELBOURNE
Free agents:

Aaron Davey (restricted)
Colin Sylvia (unrestricted)

NORTH MELBOURNE
Free agents:

Michael Firrito (unrestricted)
Brent Harvey (unrestricted)

PORT ADELAIDE
Free agents:

Kane Cornes (restricted)
Brett Ebert (unrestricted)
Tom Logan (unrestricted)
Matt Thomas (unrestricted)

RICHMOND
Free agents:

Daniel Jackson (unrestricted)
Luke McGuane (unrestricted)
Chris Newman (unrestricted)

Shane Tuck (unrestricted)
Matthew White (unrestricted)

ST KILDA
Free agents:

Jason Blake (unrestricted)
Nick Dal Santo (restricted)
Lenny Hayes (unrestricted)
Justin Koschitzke (unrestricted)
Stephen Milne (unrestricted)

SYDNEY SWANS
Free agents:

Jude Bolton (unrestricted)

WEST COAST
Free agents:

Dean Cox (unrestricted)
Andrew Embley (unrestricted)
Darren Glass (unrestricted)
Mark Nicoski (unrestricted)
Adam Selwood (unrestricted)

WESTERN BULLDOGS
Free agents:

Dylan Addison (unrestricted)
Adam Cooney (restricted)
Daniel Cross (unrestricted)

Daniel Giansiracusa (unrestricted)
Dale Morris (restricted)

ROOKIE DRAFT

Would probably upgrade Clisby and re rookie Stark and delist both Crouch and Magner which would give us 3 Rookie spots to fill

Should look at a Ruckman and 2 more Midfielders

CONTRACTS

Obviously we are not in a position to pay out early on contracts so players who i have listed as DELISTED would need to remain on the list

Edited by Swampfox
  • Like 1

Could you have typed this in a worse font.....you probably could but farken hell that was hard to read on my iPad

KEEP

Mitch Clark

Chris Dawes

Jack Fitzpatrick

Jack Watts

Jeremy Howe

Nathan Jones

Jack Viney

Jimmy Toumpas

Jack Trengove

Rory Taggert

Mitchell Clisby

Michael Evans

Dean Kent

Jack Grimes

Matt Jones

Dean Terlich

Sam Blease

Dom Barry

Nathan Stark

James Frawley

Colin Garland

Tom McDonald

James Sellar

Cameron Pedersen

Mark Jamar

Max Gawn

Jake Spencer

DELIST

James Magner

Tom Couch

Shannon Byrnes

David Rodan

Tom Gillies

Joel MacDonald

Lynden Dunn

Neville Jetta

Rohan Bail

UNDECIDED

Luke Tapscott

Troy Davis

Jordie McKenzie

Daniel Nicholson

James Strauss

Josh Tynan

FREE AGENTS

Aaron Davey

Colin Sylvia

The DRAFT

From 2014 we can add Jesse Hogan to the Senior List and we are all looking forward to that

The Tom Boyd factor

I would expect GWS will have the number 1 draft pick and with Tom Boyd touted by most as the best player in the draft

GWS have already stated that this pick is tradeable for the right player or some other tradeable arrangement

I see several clubs making a play for this pick as a Tom Boyd looks to be a quality KPF that would fill a void by many clubs

GWS themselves may be just prodding to see what they can get and if not truly satisfied keep Boyd for themselves as they hold the cards

GWS have to make sure they are not trading away a player that ends up being better than what they already have

I expect Franklin to leave Hawthorn and join GWS to make Tom Scully look like a Pauper

One wonders how deep are the pockets of GWS compared to everyone else

From the Melbourne perspective

Frawley or McDonald are the only 2 players we have that GWS would think about trading their #1 Draft Pick for

I think we have enough evidence that both of these players are key to our defence and are deemed not negotiable by most supporters

I think it is very important that Melbourne gets Frawley to sign a new deal before he becomes a free agent in 2015

Who to Draft

The question most supporters will be wondering is have we learnt from the past?

Our priority should be to draft the best midfielders available with our first 3 picks

There is an abundance of quality midfielders in this draft and that depth looks likely to last into the second round of which we currently have an early pick each round

This draft looks likely to have some good midfielders left by the time we have our third round pick

Our fourth rounder should be used to pick up a Ruckman unless of course we have set our sights on a midfielder that remains available when it is our turn

By the 5th round I would expect the quality of midfielders would drop significantly enough to look at other options such as another tall defender or even a small forward which are void at Melbourne

There are quite a few Ruckman in this draft although there are no real stand outs and most think the first few will start being drafted early in the fourth round

Not every team will be as void of Midfielders as we are but besides Boyd the majority of players deemed as the best available are in fact midfielder types

FREE AGENCIES

IMO the majority of the players we got as Free/Restricted agents was a failure

I really doubt we have the ability to trade players for higher draft picks and for it to be viable I would say nothing above pick 30 would be worth it anyway

Sylvia I expect to use the rule to advance his chances of playing in finals and a premiership

While there are a few really good players in the following list of Free Agents I would doubt we have enough attraction or cash to add one of them to our list in 2014

The only one I would consider is Dale Thomas

What is not to like about a 26 year old goal kicking A grade midfielder who could play for another 150 games

I still think he would be too expensive but no harm in asking

ADELAIDE

Free agents:Jason Porplyzia (unrestricted)

Ben Rutten (unrestricted)

Scott Thompson (restricted)BRISBANE LIONS

Free agents:

Simon Black (unrestricted)

Jonathan Brown (unrestricted)Carlton

Free agents:

Eddie Betts (restricted)

Heath Scotland (unrestricted)COLLINGWOOD

Free agents:

Alan Didak (unrestricted)

Ben Johnson (unrestricted)

Nick Maxwell (restricted)

Dale Thomas (restricted)

Alan Toovey (unrestricted)ESSENDON

Free agents:

Dustin Fletcher (unrestricted)

David Hille (unrestricted)

Nathan Lovett-Murray (unrestricted)

Jason Winderlich (unrestricted)

FREMANTLE

Free agents:NoneGEELONG

Free agents:

Paul Chapman (unrestricted)

Joel Corey (unrestricted)

Corey Enright (unrestricted)

Josh Hunt (unrestricted)

Mathew Stokes (unrestricted)HAWTHORN

Free agents:

Max Bailey (unrestricted)

Xavier Ellis (unrestricted)

Lance Franklin (restricted

Brent Guerra (unrestricted)

Michael Osborne (unrestricted)MELBOURNE

Free agents:

Aaron Davey (restricted)

Colin Sylvia (unrestricted)NORTH MELBOURNE

Free agents:

Michael Firrito (unrestricted)

Brent Harvey (unrestricted)PORT ADELAIDE

Free agents:

Kane Cornes (restricted)

Brett Ebert (unrestricted)

Tom Logan (unrestricted)

Matt Thomas (unrestricted)

RICHMOND

Free agents:Daniel Jackson (unrestricted)

Luke McGuane (unrestricted)

Chris Newman (unrestricted)

Shane Tuck (unrestricted)

Matthew White (unrestricted)ST KILDA

Free agents:

Jason Blake (unrestricted)

Nick Dal Santo (restricted)

Lenny Hayes (unrestricted)

Justin Koschitzke (unrestricted)

Stephen Milne (unrestricted)SYDNEY SWANS

Free agents:

Jude Bolton (unrestricted)WEST COAST

Free agents:

Dean Cox (unrestricted)

Andrew Embley (unrestricted)

Darren Glass (unrestricted)

Mark Nicoski (unrestricted)

Adam Selwood (unrestricted)

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Free agents:Dylan Addison (unrestricted)

Adam Cooney (restricted)

Daniel Cross (unrestricted)

Daniel Giansiracusa (unrestricted)

Dale Morris (restricted)

ROOKIE DRAFT

Would probably upgrade Clisby and re rookie Stark and delist both Crouch and Magner which would give us 3 Rookie spots to fill

Should look at a Ruckman and 2 more Midfielders

CONTRACTS

Obviously we are not in a position to pay out early on contracts so players who i have listed as DELISTED would need to remain on the list

I will just throw out something for all those that bemoan 'list cloggers': if you have to replace someone with no future (a clogger) at the club with Teenage Pick 85, you have to keep that Teenage Pick 85 for two years. Whereas you could have kept that 'clogger' for one year and moved him on then.

Digest that.

tsk tsk

You make assumptions then call it fact.

How do you equate Davey for a pick 85 .... its only supposition on your part and may well fall differently.

Even so.. Whos to say that after 2 years that same said pick 85 hasnt blossomed ? Those two years of development were required and only a possibility because Davey had gone .

hows your digestion ?

tsk tsk

You make assumptions then call it fact.

How do you equate Davey for a pick 85 .... its only supposition on your part and may well fall differently.

Even so.. Whos to say that after 2 years that same said pick 85 hasnt blossomed ? Those two years of development were required and only a possibility because Davey had gone .

hows your digestion ?

I never called it fact. I am telling you that when teenagers get picked up they get an automatic 2 year contract.

And what that means is that if you have 10 list 'cloggers' and you replace them all in one go through the draft with teenagers then you will not be able to move them the following year.

It removes flexibility. Whereas, if you did choose to keep someone on your list for one year more over Teenage Pick 85 - you can delist that player a year later.