The Trade/Draft Rumour Mill

MadAsHell

Starting to smell as if we may have done a large deal with Adelaide, potentially trading pick 2 - Rory Sloan perhaps?

"However AFL.com.au understands any deals that might involve the two Crows reaching Melbourne are quite separate and not part of a complicated package exchanging picks and players"

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-13/trade-wrap-sunday

Vince & Lyons in a separate trade

You have to think we would be trading out a player or two in order to lessen the impact on our draft position

Wasn't Fitzpatrick rumoured to have been seen in Adelaide?

Think you are mis-reading it - what they mean is that if we end up with Vince and Lyons it will be through two completely separate deals.

• Like 3

Well said.

I believe GWS would seriously consider Scharenberg if we gave them pick 2. They have a large abundance of quality up and coming mids, their forward line consists of Cameron, Patton and likely Boyd (pick 1). I think Scharenberg would be close to the top of their list as that large running defender. With he, Plowman and Davis their defense will start looking the part also.

If they want pick 2 to draft Scharenberg, which long term should work out for them, but in the next couple of years how is Davis(experienced) Plowman(2-3games) and Scharenberg(0 games) I can not see them holding Franklin and Tippet to a low score, or Clark, Hogan & Dawes. I think they need experienced defenders, unless they want to finish bottom again.

If they want pick 2 to draft Scharenberg, which long term should work out for them, but in the next couple of years how is Davis(experienced) Plowman(2-3games) and Scharenberg(0 games) I can not see them holding Franklin and Tippet to a low score, or Clark, Hogan & Dawes. I think they need experienced defenders, unless they want to finish bottom again.

Which worries me about the (perceived) pressure Roos may (or may not) be putting on Chip Frawley....

• Like 1

Think you are mis-reading it - what they mean is that if we end up with Vince and Lyons it will be through two completely separate deals.

I suppose we'll see won't we - I don't think I mis-read it

There was a strong rumour in the middle of the year surrounding pick 2, Adelaide & Sloan...just joining the dots

I suppose we'll see won't we - I don't think I mis-read it

There was a strong rumour in the middle of the year surrounding pick 2, Adelaide & Sloan...just joining the dots

I think you well and truly did, but we will have to agree to disagree. The Crows may want Aish and are keen to get into the top end of the draft but I highly doubt it will come at the cost of one their most important players, who is already a proven talent. But, as you say, we'll see.

• Like 1

I think you well and truly did, but we will have to agree to disagree. The Crows may want Aish and are keen to get into the top end of the draft but I highly doubt it will come at the cost of one their most important players, who is already a proven talent. But, as you say, we'll see.

So how will they get into the top of the draft? A hamper of spuds?

Need to sacrifice someone, or miss out.

• Like 3

Anybody know how long Sloan has left on his contract?

Is he a restricted free agent next year by any chance?

Because Roosy's comments in this article might be enlightening as to why Adelaide might let someone of Sloan's calibre go.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/melbourne-coach-paul-roos-says-clubs-could-start-trading-their-stars-early/story-fndv8pdq-1226735616834

• Like 1

Outside of the pick 2 scenario, Are there any likely midfield prospects in the VFL, SANFL,WAFL that might be a good pick up for us?

We have had some decent types in the past that just struggle to make the grade because of lack of pace. Anyway, that's probably why they aren't at the top level because pace does make a difference.

However, there is always a gem out there at the lower level that has been overlooked and is quick enough to play at AFL level.

Any players come to mind?

I was going to mention this as well. Scored 29 out of 30 for kicking accuracy in the draft camp. His only fault was his long off-foot kick was scored a 4/5. He sounds very much like he would be worth a look as a ready-made mid with mature body. We should be able to get him for a fairly late draft pick or PSD.

Would it be fair to say you're not that keen on pick 2 for Sloan?

I have my reservations about it, unless we can get a pick 10-20 back somehow through a third party player &/or pick exchange

It's not that I'm not keen on it, it's more that I just don't think the Crows would trade him away, or he would want to come to Melbourne.

I like the idea of trading pick 2 for some proven talent as I think, this year, it's exactly what we need. We need some guys who can come in and make an instant impact, not another 18 year old kid. I still think the right deal is out there, and still have time on our side. Just don't think Sloane is our man.

Yeah, some no-brainers to get the period rolling, then nothing but furphies until the frenzy at the end.

Lets face it: we're going to ask way over for #2 and they'll offer way unders. Then we all dance around for a week or so as we all try to get the best bang for our buck.

I'd be amazed and angry if we said yes to the first offer thrown at us.

At the end of the day we have pick 2 and GWS don't need or require Boyd. So others can either dance with GWS or us. Personally don't give one "black rats". Show us something really good or our next option looks pretty handy this draft.

• Like 1

Well, this appears to be the place to put random thoughts on possible drafts.

What would people say to these possibilities?

Get Vince and Lyons from Adelaide in exchange for our 2nd round pick and Tapscott with an upgrade of later picks in our favour to even things up.

Send Blease to Fremantle for Michie and a pick (no idea what would be a fair pick to balance this one up, maybe a few upgrades?).

Keep pick 2.

This way we would be gaining ready-made experience in Vince, two young fringe players with potential and keeping our first pick for Aish/Kelly/Freeman. We could also be well positioned to pick up Zac Jones and Cain (for example) in the draft, take a punt on a late pick and still have room for PSD and a delisted free agent.

I know there would be some work to make these things even out, but there could be some utility in there and it would give us a decent mix of young talent and ready-made mids. Could be affected by what level of compensation we got for Sylvia as well.

• Like 1

U don't get nothing for nothing.

If a club wants pick 2 they will give up someone of quality.

The closer it comes to the end of the trade period the more serious the decision making will be and all the posturing will go out the window.

• Like 3

Starting to smell as if we may have done a large deal with Adelaide, potentially trading pick 2 - Rory Sloan perhaps?

"However AFL.com.au understands any deals that might involve the two Crows reaching Melbourne are quite separate and not part of a complicated package exchanging picks and players"

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-13/trade-wrap-sunday

Vince & Lyons in a separate trade

You have to think we would be trading out a player or two in order to lessen the impact on our draft position

Wasn't Fitzpatrick rumoured to have been seen in Adelaide?

I think players generally go on holidays this time of year.

At the end of the day we have pick 2 and GWS don't need or require Boyd. So others can either dance with GWS or us. Personally don't give one "black rats". Show us something really good or our next option looks pretty handy this draft.

Disagree about Boyd. GWS would only trade/pass on him if they had got Buddy. They need another KPF to compliment Cameron and Patton. We traded for Mitch, Dawes and Hogan because we knew 3 big forwards are ideal. Unless another team offers a ridiculously good deal, GWS will not let Boyd slip. But I agree that we only trade 2 for something worth if, otherwise it will get us a very good draftee.

Disagree about Boyd. GWS would only trade/pass on him if they had got Buddy. They need another KPF to compliment Cameron and Patton. We traded for Mitch, Dawes and Hogan because we knew 3 big forwards are ideal. Unless another team offers a ridiculously good deal, GWS will not let Boyd slip. But I agree that we only trade 2 for something worth if, otherwise it will get us a very good draftee.

That would leave them with three juniors and going nowhere. But that's ok and we would still have pick two. So if we get to dance it should be an absolute roaring cracker, otherwise we are either in good shape or will have traded dumb..

That would leave them with three juniors and going nowhere. But that's ok and we would still have pick two. So if we get to dance it should be an absolute roaring cracker, otherwise we are either in good shape or will have traded dumb..

Three juniors going nowhere? Wasn't Cameron an AA? Lol!

Holidays to Adelaide?!

Shouldn't this be all over by 9.05 Monday? Sloan to Melbourne for 2, Vince to Melbourne for a second rounder or else Adelaide to live in darkness for quite some time? Am I missing something?