Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Neeld Sacked with Craig as Interim Coach

Satyriconhome

Royal has been an enduring factor while we have been shithouse and especially our midfield has been shithouse. He really has to go, he has to be judged on performance at some point too.

And why don't you let those with the factual understanding of his role do that. And relax you don't have it.

Royal and other assistants will be rolled by the new senior coach

And the last time I looked MFC had a glaring lack of talent in the midfield but maybe you have missed that.

FCS -Neeld has been sacked so all these who have bayed for his blood be satisfied.

Now please can everyone get behind Craig for the residue of the season. He IS an experienced coach, something that any have been calling for......he will not get immediate success, but he needs a lot if support from us all.

this bloke craig isn't he director of coaching, i feel he has allot to answer for as well as neeld

After having the arvo to think about my thoughts on it, I thought I'd post it now.

In my opinion, I feel neeld polarised the playing group early on. Sure, he removed some players who weren't going to take us forward, but I feel that fractured the playing group and probably created doubt. Neeld would have been seen as cam schwab's puppet per se, and that probably added to the lack of application from some players. That said, I wonder about the mental damage that we now see on grimes, Howe, trengove, Strauss, blease and watts, who now have 3-4 years on an afl list and have seen 2 coaches removed and have now to endure a new coach with new plans.

That said, I feel neeld had good intentions in regards to building a team of players who give 100% effort, 100% of the time. With the addition of Dawes, hogan, toumpas, Clark and viney, added to trengove, Howe, frawley, garland and grimes, we have the core for players who are dedicated and live a lifestyle focused on getting the best out of themselves and will provide leadership and attention to detail, preparation and recovery.

I was neither pro or anti neeld. But I am pro- demon. I'm frustrated that our club is again the laughing stock of the afl. I'm frustrated that we've played just 11 games and we are facing half a season of "treading water" with no actual game plan or structure to adhere to. I'm frustrated that we now have cost a second coach his job with incompetence at board, recruiting and development levels. I'm frustrated at the uncertainty we now face for the remainder of the season, and that players who should be focused just on developing and playing, now also don't know their futures or their long term positions in the team.

Disappointing day all round. I hope that this is the last disappointing day that we have, as all supporters have been through every emotion other than jubilation at winning games.

Thanks mark for your efforts, I hope that your culture changing efforts are one day vindicated with Clark, hogan, Dawes and co leading the way to a successful period in time for the demon footy club!

Good post. Well considered.

• Like 1

From what I understand Neil Craig was very careful not to second guess or even put input in when Neeld made decisions around the club to ensure he didn't look like he was undermining Neeld. I wonder if players confided more in Craig as a mentor than the stern discipline-enforcing Neeld.

After all Neeld basically said at the start there would be no nice and welcoming attitudes under his reign.

• Like 1

Just watched the presser, i wonder when PJ will don the Navy blue and red stripped tie?

It just makes it look more and more obvious that his only reason for being there is to bail us out on behalf of the AFL, he's not an MFC employee..

Now, now. He wore it for those initial sit downs with the vermin (journos) when he took the job on. If his thinking since then has been - 'I am not going to wear that tie while asking for AFL assistance or sacking a coach' I completely understand. It's a semi-novelty tie for a businessman to wear, even if said businessman is the CEO of the organisation.

Just my 2 cents on that interesting, albeit trivial, matter...

My impression of Neil Craig is that he is a man of great integrity. Even if he thought Neeld was a complete Dick, he'd be completely supportive and wouldn't undermine his leadership. It's quite possible that we will see a real change in our approach over the next couple of months.

• Like 2

My impression of Neil Craig is that he is a man of great integrity. Even if he thought Neeld was a complete [censored], he'd be completely supportive and wouldn't undermine his leadership. It's quite possible that we will see a real change in our approach over the next couple of months.

Interesting thoughts / observations.

And I too hope we will see a real change, which to all intents and purposes could surely not be other than an improvement.

I hope to see it but, from experience, confidence rarely alters in-season - and that is the thing that gets blokes to spread and do team things and win footy games.

He's a good coach, but I don't see it happening.

Interesting - missed most of it until it was all over.

Given that this is Demonland, and no speculation can ever be too far-fetched, wonder if in fact the decision wasn't made some weeks back. Why wait? To avoid having a stand-in coach start off with two unwinnable games against Hawthorn and Collingwood. By waiting until now, at least Neil C and the boys have a sniff of a chance of a win, and if that happens, it would be a lift in confidence for the team, the club, the supporters. And not forgetting, the sponsors, future coaches, future players etc. etc.

Too machiavellian? Perhaps, but desperate times call for desperate solutions. You'd have to wonder who'll be next in the FD to break out in a cold sweat on seeing "PJ" come up on their mobile.

• Like 1

My impression of Neil Craig is that he is a man of great integrity. Even if he thought Neeld was a complete [censored], he'd be completely supportive and wouldn't undermine his leadership. It's quite possible that we will see a real change in our approach over the next couple of months.

That is the most optimistic position and serves to distance Craig somewhat from the disaster.

But surely if he did have concerns then what did he do about it? Even allowing for the fact he was operating within a dysfunctional FD environment.

And why don't you let those with the factual understanding of his role do that. And relax you don't have it.Royal and other assistants will be rolled by the new senior coachAnd the last time I looked MFC had a glaring lack of talent in the midfield but maybe you have missed that.

Hang on, so I say that Royal should go, and then you say that I 'don't have the understanding'... and then you explain that Royal will be axed by the new coach.

How come you can judge Neeld on performance and not Royal? Is Royal not accountable for the development of young midfielders? We've had talent come through but they haven't come on, clearly has something to do with what they are being taught or told.

• Like 4

So let me get this right

1) Sack Coach instead of CEO Payout $$$

2) give contract extension to CEO More $$$$

3) Give contract extension to football manager More $$$$$

4) Sack CEO Payout $$$$

5) Sack Coach Payout $$$$$

6) Sack Football manager Payout $$$$$

It seems that the MFC has been robbed by organised crime and the club will come back to the members asking for money

No wonder they went straight to the AFL maybe $2000000 wont be enough A decent coach will cost us 5-600000 a year perhaps more Where do we get that money from?

The Board of this club must be about as incompetent as there has ever been!

• Like 1

Because the head coach is ultimately responsible the performance of the team. Rightly or wrongly the buck stops with him. And guess wha you can actually make a reasonable view of what's transpired on field for MFC. And the head coach is accountable

And without knowing the inner workings of the FD and the specific roles and responsibilities of the assistants under Neeld you are only guessing as to their respecive performances. And when you sit up in the grandstand you are only guessing about the performance of FD elements.

And it's the normal process is that the Head Coach selects his assistant coaches. And given the top to bottom clean out of the FD, it's a pretty safe bet that those associated with the onfield debacle will depart.

I'm guessing that my guess that Royal as the midfield coach, is responsible for the performance of the midfield is pretty accurate. As Neeld was judged on performance, each assistant should be responsible for the performance of their area and judged on this each season.

Royal has overseen a terrible midfield for a long time, it only makes sense that we bring someone else in to have a crack. I remember that under Ratten the midfield was much better, and we still lacked that star player. At least he knew how a stoppage should be set up.

Edited by Django

Interesting - missed most of it until it was all over.

Given that this is Demonland, and no speculation can ever be too far-fetched, wonder if in fact the decision wasn't made some weeks back. Why wait? To avoid having a stand-in coach start off with two unwinnable games against Hawthorn and Collingwood. By waiting until now, at least Neil C and the boys have a sniff of a chance of a win, and if that happens, it would be a lift in confidence for the team, the club, the supporters. And not forgetting, the sponsors, future coaches, future players etc. etc.

Too machiavellian? Perhaps, but desperate times call for desperate solutions. You'd have to wonder who'll be next in the FD to break out in a cold sweat on seeing "PJ" come up on their mobile.

Come on bing, fancy proposing that the club pursued a cunning strategy - enough to make you a considered a weirdo around here.

I suspect the plan was just tied to the mid-year bye, but PJ may well have realized the benefits you point to.

I'm guessing that my guess that Royal as the midfield coach, is responsible for the performance of the midfield is pretty accurate. As Neeld was judged on performance, each assistant should be responsible for the performance of their area and judged on this each season.

Royal has overseen a terrible midfield for a long time, it only makes sense that we bring someone else in to have a crack. I remember that under Ratten the midfield was much better, and we still lacked that star player. At least he knew how a stoppage should be set up.

Thanks you proved my point that you have no clue.

And as for Ratten, in 2004, he had an AA ruck in Jeff White and he had a gun in Scott Thompson ably supported by a flank of B graders. It's telling that when White tired/injured and Thompson was out injured the brilliance of Ratten evaporated. Hmmm.

I don't know if Royal can coach or not. That ups to the head coach. And it's clear that you less than I do in this regard.

Thanks you proved my point that you have no clue.

And as for Ratten, in 2004, he had an AA ruck in Jeff White and he had a gun in Scott Thompson ably supported by a flank of B graders. It's telling that when White tired/injured and Thompson was out injured the brilliance of Ratten evaporated. Hmmm.

I don't know if Royal can coach or not. That ups to the head coach. And it's clear that you less than I do in this regard.

Ah, Royal has had an AA ruckman in Jamar as well as pretty good players in Jones, Moloney and Sylvia. Hasn't really helped though has it?

You can't sustain your argument so resort to potshots, you know I didn't expect anything more from you mate. There isn't really much point in having a debate with you.

Edited by Django
  • Like 1

So let me get this right

1) Sack Coach instead of CEO Payout $$$

2) give contract extension to CEO More $$$$

3) Give contract extension to football manager More $$$$$

4) Sack CEO Payout $$$$

5) Sack Coach Payout $$$$$

6) Sack Football manager Payout $$$$$

It seems that the MFC has been robbed by organised crime and the club will come back to the members asking for money

No wonder they went straight to the AFL maybe $2000000 wont be enough A decent coach will cost us 5-600000 a year perhaps more Where do we get that money from?

The Board of this club must be about as incompetent as there has ever been!

Yup looks like it and "reported" in the age that the majority of the monies we have asked the AFL for will be used for payouts..... ffs mind blowingly incompetent.

Ha the Bandidos have been running stand over tactics on us.

It's cause today is my Birthday...

Happy Birthday

But why were you not born at the start of the footy season?

Ah, Royal has had an AA ruckman in Jamar as well as pretty good players in Jones, Moloney and Sylvia. Hasn't really helped though has it?

You can't sustain your argument so resort to potshots, you know I didn't expect anything more from you mate. There isn't really much point in having a debate with you.

Ugh. Don't tell me you think Jamar has been AA form under Neeld! Oh dear!

Jones is an honest B grader at best and Sylvia is a C grader. Moloney is the same. But it clear that Neeld and Beamer had a falling out but you would blame Royal. I am not surprised you can't differentiate between Thompson and lesser players.

And thanks for proving my initial assertion correct.