Tom Boyd

Travis Boots

agreed with sweet puff.

we should absolutely be throwing big bikkies at daisy thomas as a free agent, at taylor adams to hold out for the psd rather than re-contracting with gws.

then if we are so poor that we finish stone motherless, it's got to be best available with pick #1, and best available with pick #2 (if we are granted a priority pick), and best available with pick #20, and so on and so forth.

i look back at the 09 draft where we had the opportunity to get luke ball in with pick #18 instead of luke tapscott, and just shake my head. i understand that he only wanted to go to collingwood but, quite frankly, tough. he'd be our captain now, i believe.

yep, I agree.

I think I stuffed up as well there, re Ball, not realising at the time that our poor culture was so much worse than I thought. & I also thought Ball was finished, physically...

Boyds very much a full forward. Hogans played some good football down back for Claremont colts and could do it at afl level if required.

Yep would even say he plays a lot like travis cloke but his kicking for goal would be like Jarrod Rougheads. Very accurate.

Draft for talent, trade for need.

Hogan at CHB, Mitch to help in ruck with Gawn and maybe Fitzy or (dare I say it) Spencer for depth. Trade Jamar to GWS for one of their homesick mids. Forwards - Dawes, Mitch, Boyd and Watts roaming as 3rd or 4th tall, if he wants to stay. Howe on wing or high HF, drifting forward. Remainder of picks used for high rating mids - Dunstan perhaps. Daisy as FA.

...then I wake up from my dream.

• Like 2

Draft for talent, trade for need.

Hogan at CHB, Mitch to help in ruck with Gawn and maybe Fitzy or (dare I say it) Spencer for depth. Trade Jamar to GWS for one of their homesick mids. Forwards - Dawes, Mitch, Boyd and Watts roaming as 3rd or 4th tall, if he wants to stay. Howe on wing or high HF, drifting forward. Remainder of picks used for high rating mids - Dunstan perhaps. Daisy as FA.

...then I wake up from my dream.

We have him killing it down at VFL level already showing us he can kick bags of goals. Mitch is on one leg, Dawes is more of a lead up forward who doesn't really kick big goals yet you still want Hogan at CHB??

strange....

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 2

Geelong rules for drafting. Pick the best footballer available who must put his head over the ball and win his own footy, don'r care who he is. Just do it!!

• Like 1

Keep your pants on, its just a suggestion. Hogan played a lot of time key back in WA. Killed it doing so. Jonno Brown would've been a star playing any key position, back or forward.

I don't buy that 'Mitch is on one leg' line. If he was, the club would arguably trade him out, which they won't, of course. We are planning ahead to put the best team on the park, even though we are yet to do that. Or should we plan ahead for Mitch being on one leg?

We must take Boyd if the opportunity is there. He's the best. We have Mitch and Dawes, which helps someone like Hogan and Boyd take the 3rd and 4th defender, then you throw in Howe.

Geez i wouldnt want to oppistion trying to figure out whom to stop.

Also your talking the next 10yrs for Boyd as appose to Clarke and Dawes.

Also thinking back we chose Watts over Nik Nat, cause we wanted a forward ?

Had we needed a Ruck we would have gone Nik Nat. Geez how things change now.

We swap them in a heart beat.

• Like 1

lol people suggesting Hogan at CHB

yes lets move the next Jonathan Brown to the backline. Great idea

Absolutely. can't understand the thinking

MFC Looking for a gun forward for years, "possibly" once in a generation Jesse Hogan comes along

Move him down back.

Classic Melbourne.

I say no. He's obviously a hell of a player, but in this case needs trump BA. We are being killed because of our crap midfield. We need at the very least a top line mid and a small defender out of this draft, preferably having already traded for another good mid prior to the draft. here is no way we should spend a top 10 pick on a tall forward given the number of talls we already have on the list. Any top 10 picks we have need to go to the best midfielders we can find.

• 2 weeks later...

To start with i was all for us getting Boyd. But now given how Watts has performed over the last few weeks up fwd, along with Dawes i really don't think we need him. dawes seems to have shaken the injury nad is playing good footy, Watts is showing that his place is in the fwd line, Clark is still recovering and hopefully will be able to produce the form he had pre-injury, and we still have hogan for next year who is currently tearing it up at VFL level.

With all of these guys fit and in our team Clark would probably get the 1st defender, Dawes 2nd, Hogan 3rd and Watts 4th and whoever else is in the fwd line will get the rest. Thes guys will be able to severely stretch any backline and cause headaches. Quite likely most teams wont have enough tall defenders to counteract all our talls next year, and add in the possibility of having Gawn, fitzpatrick or Jamar drifting fwd and we should have the potential to have the best fwd line in the comp as far as talls go. Add in Howe with his speccies, Davey with his speed and maybe even Rodan(?) we will have a very good fwd line.

Given that we should go after mids. Preferably Aish and probably dunstan

He still might be...

Think about it.

GWS get Franklin, Patton comes back from injury and Jeremy Cameron is a gun.

Room for Boyd?

Yes as a ruckman forward for them. He is about 199cms. They are desperate for another ruckman. They have plenty of mids and will get more. I would still try and trade Jamar to them for Adams, who wants to come home.

• Like 1

He still might be...

Think about it.

GWS get Franklin, Patton comes back from injury and Jeremy Cameron is a gun.

Room for Boyd?

I think they will take the pick...Boyd and trade it on for a senior player. They will get Franklin as FA and a quality mid for Boyd.

...or they will keep Boyd and trade Paton.

Edited by rjay

I think they will take the pick...Boyd and trade it on for a senior player. They will get Franklin as FA and a quality mid for Boyd.

...or they will keep Boyd and trade Paton.

That's an interesting point about possibly trading Patton (is it Paton or Patton? don't know). Boyd would have more value on the market I believe with Patton/Paton's history of injuries.

Could you trade someone who they have already invested so much in so early?

If Franklin goes to GWS which I think most have already accepted, does it have to be under F/A? Could he ask for a trade so Hawthorn would get something back?

I thought it might go like Franklin and there first pick (prob 18) to GWS for Pick 1.

That makes no sense.

"I want to go to another club, but I want to weaken that club before I get there by forcing them to relinquish assets for me when they don't need to."

Alternatively, GWS can trade pick 1, but not Boyd, since the draft is AFTER the trade period.

That makes no sense.

"I want to go to another club, but I want to weaken that club before I get there by forcing them to relinquish assets for me when they don't need to."

Alternatively, GWS can trade pick 1, but not Boyd, since the draft is AFTER the trade period.

They could trade Paton. I'm not sure about the Franklin trade situation it might be seen as tampering with the draft...who knows it gets a bit like rules on the run sometimes.

I don't think they would be able to

I think Franklin would have to sign a contract, then be traded.

From memory, there is a moratorium on trades immediately after a player has signed, i.e. they can't be traded til the next season, unless the player themselves decides to waive that right.

Convoluted and exceptionally unlikely in my eyes.

I completely understand the anxiety about drafting for needs.

But we are not talking about a Molan situation where we punted on a tall at Pick 9.

We will have the chance to pick up the best or second best mid in the draft and if we get it right it will be more important than getting another giant to stnad in the forward line.

We are in a midfielders league.

We will have a chance to take a top 2 mid this year.

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 2