Draft concessions: a mini draft

Melbourne president Don McLardy stands down as the Dees ask for a priority pick

Well, we've gone and done it - asked for a priority pick due to our poor performances over a sustained period of time.

The stricken Demons put their case to the league commission for an extra pick in November's national draft.

I believe we're entitled to some sort of assistance from the AFL under its rules notwithstanding our poor recruiting and development record over the past decade. There's been resistance from different quarters but the reality is that the decision will not be made on emotion or pity but rather on what makes this competition tick - dollars and cents. The league and the clubs don't want a non-competitive Melbourne dragging down attendances and television ratings and, as Vlad has said, "there's nothing gained by having a team smashed every week".

The best way to avoid that (among other things like stable administration and improvements in coaching and development) is by giving the club access to more good footballers and the solution that appeals most to me is a GWS-style mini-draft. If other clubs are given the option of pre-drafting 4 players aged 17 in return for trades with Melbourne, the club would pick up combination of draft selections and player trades to enable it to top up its list and enable it to achieve the rapid improvement in its on-field stocks that everybody's looking for.

In addition, the nature of a mini draft is such that it doesn't create any new draft picks as would priority selections because the concept involves trading existing picks. Therefore, those clubs that aren't involved in the trading aren't adversely affected by the existence of the mini draft.

Anyway, that's my idea for the day.

• Like 2

So dont agree that we should get an extra pick as we have had bad management. But i am glad the AFL will help fund our restructure. I dare say it will be an interest free loan. Ffs we have to get this right i am sick of seeing mfc ask for handouts

• Like 1

I feel like this will just make us even more dis-respected from the rest of the comp. We need to suck it up and draft the right way and run our club properly and then we may see some change. We are seen as the club who asks for handouts and is incompetent.

• Like 5

We are seen as the club who asks for handouts and is incompetent.

That's exactly what they (including our own supporters) keep telling us and the only measure of earning respect these days seems to be success on the field and nothing else. Therefore, if the rules of the competition entitle a team that performs poorly over a long period of time to concessions then so be it. The powerful teams are entitled to the best venues and fixtures over the others; its only right then that we claim that to which we're entitled.

• Like 8

We are in this position cause of our excellent management skills.

In saying that I more than happy to get a pp and $$$$.

Can u imagine how pizzed off other supporters will be? That will be hilarious.

Also with other supporters hating us its the first step in getting back up the ladder and being competitive again.

Onward and upward

• Like 1

So far from hilarious it's not funny. We are a rabble and a laughing stock who has to go to the AFL for money and further draft assistance because we have no idea what we are doing. I'm just hoping this is (another) first small step on some kind road to respectability and winning on the field.

• Like 3

Currently give the MFC 1,000 picks and they will find was to waste 99.9% of them. Which is a tragedy as the law of average would say it should not be that bad.

Clean up the the Club first, so that it will actual make a difference.

• Like 1

WJ I think I may have been one of the first to float the idea of a mini draft and I see a number of benefits over the traditional priority pick:

-the AFL doesn't have to award a priority pick, which may seem like semantics but may be an important point

-we can't use it to stock pile as trades must occur, enabling us to bring in players who will impact straight away

-the AFL can easily make the mini draft as big or as small as it wants to cater for they think we require

I think the mini draft is one of the best ways to get established talent to our club, although that being said GWS did not attract any senior players using their mini draft. Whether this was circumstance or design it is not clear but pretty sure Sheedy has stated that clubs didn't want to trade established players.

• Like 1

I wrote the below in the Action Plan thread:

This says to me that we have asked for draft picks to re-establish some competitiveness. I wonder whether it is more than just the chance of a PP.

Perhaps we will ask for our own little Mini Draft in which we have picks that we must trade out.

It would be interesting to know what was the submission from Jackson, to say the least.

It is an interesting notion but one way they could do a version of this is to give us a PP but have a rider on it that says we have to trade it out and not keep it, and we must not get back a pick in the top 10.

WJ I think I may have been one of the first to float the idea of a mini draft and I see a number of benefits over the traditional priority pick:

-the AFL doesn't have to award a priority pick, which may seem like semantics but may be an important point

-we can't use it to stock pile as trades must occur, enabling us to bring in players who will impact straight away

-the AFL can easily make the mini draft as big or as small as it wants to cater for they think we require

I think the mini draft is one of the best ways to get established talent to our club, although that being said GWS did not attract any senior players using their mini draft. Whether this was circumstance or design it is not clear but pretty sure Sheedy has stated that clubs didn't want to trade established players.

Whichever way it goes so be it. We are entitled to help just as much as other clubs get better draws, in a rigged fixture, which the AFL openly admits.

Don't tell me that the more money made by clubs with big games and exposure, doesn't impact on sponsorship, membership and players wanting to join those clubs.

People need to understand that the AFL is not a sport anymore it is a business with one goal, making money. Yes the clubs want to win a flag, but the roof body is only concerned with making money.

Therefore anything that impedes making maximum dollars will be improved or fixed. Even a wealthy club like Carlton still gets money from the AFL.

Don't forget the reason for equalization.

• Like 1

I'll be staggered in a year they fine us for "not tanking" and suspend bails and Connolly, that they would the give us a gift of a PP.

The rest of the comp would be up in arms over this and rightly so, our predicament is our own doing and we need to get our shite together and get our development right.

if they did give us one it would be a second rounder at most.

• Like 1

I'll be staggered in a year they fine us for "not tanking" and suspend bails and Connolly, that they would the give us a gift of a PP.

The rest of the comp would be up in arms over this and rightly so, our predicament is our own doing and we need to get our shite together and get our development right.

if they did give us one it would be a second rounder at most.

As you said we weren't guilty of "tanking" only making comments and we copped our whack. Do we then get more punishment?

The rest of the competition want us improved, as we are destroying the attendances and viewing, both live and on TV of the game. That affects the income of other clubs. No one wants to see thrashings and it also unbalances the ladder.

Why do you think several clubs have advocated aid for us?

Does anyone ever care what other supporters say anyway?

• Like 1

Our future is still not about draft picks! its What we do with them is the problem has been the problem for at least 8 years

Fix the club first and the rest will happen on its own

Our future is still not about draft picks! its What we do with them is the problem has been the problem for at least 8 years

Fix the club first and the rest will happen on its own

Disagree. Yes fix the club but take whatever we can get from the AFL, money, picks, players, good draw, etc etc etc. We are not in a position to refuse help.

Would you refuse 4 mid range ( 20-23, 50 plus games ) mid fielders?

• Like 3

Melbourne president Don McLardy stands down as the Dees ask for a priority pick

Well, we've gone and done it - asked for a priority pick due to our poor performances over a sustained period of time.

I believe we're entitled to some sort of assistance from the AFL under its rules notwithstanding our poor recruiting and development record over the past decade. There's been resistance from different quarters but the reality is that the decision will not be made on emotion or pity but rather on what makes this competition tick - dollars and cents. The league and the clubs don't want a non-competitive Melbourne dragging down attendances and television ratings and, as Vlad has said, "there's nothing gained by having a team smashed every week".

The best way to avoid that (among other things like stable administration and improvements in coaching and development) is by giving the club access to more good footballers and the solution that appeals most to me is a GWS-style mini-draft. If other clubs are given the option of pre-drafting 4 players aged 17 in return for trades with Melbourne, the club would pick up combination of draft selections and player trades to enable it to top up its list and enable it to achieve the rapid improvement in its on-field stocks that everybody's looking for.

In addition, the nature of a mini draft is such that it doesn't create any new draft picks as would priority selections because the concept involves trading existing picks. Therefore, those clubs that aren't involved in the trading aren't adversely affected by the existence of the mini draft.

Anyway, that's my idea for the day.

i suggested this 2 months ago jack. agree it is a more flexible solution.

• Like 1

So far from hilarious it's not funny. We are a rabble and a laughing stock who has to go to the AFL for money and further draft assistance because we have no idea what we are doing. I'm just hoping this is (another) first small step on some kind road to respectability and winning on the field.

If we ever get up the top of the ladder, other supporters will be ribbing us about how the AFL had to bail us out. That's the only thing I don't like about this, but we really need it sadly.

• Like 2

If we ever get up the top of the ladder, other supporters will be ribbing us about how the AFL had to bail us out. That's the only thing I don't like about this, but we really need it sadly.

I'll trade a flag for some ribbing. Hell I reckon I'd trade some successful treats for some ribbing. It will be no worse than what is given to supporters from Essendon (re drugs), Carlton (re taking and visy), Richmond (re eating their own), Sydney (re cost of living allowance), St Kilda (re player behaviour), and not much different to the standard crap all supporters give each other for being different.

Whose opinion should we care so much about not to accept help we desperately need?

Redleg, you have a valid point about the PP our similar being available given the raw deal we get compared to other clubs, however I would still say that we are entitled to access those sort of concessions if required, rather than that we deserve it because of the deal. I think we are on the same page though, if we want to be competitive next year we need to bring in experienced players, and that won't happen without assistance.

No reason why not if you did a deal. Why would you restrict it if it was true value.

I only say that as it would ensure we went and traded for a player rather than trading Pick 1 for Pick 3 and Pick 65.

Gold Coast are currently being bankrolled to a flag. They will win one in the next two-three years. Swans were on AFL life support in the 90's and they are now an elite team which doesn't bottom out. Remember MFC gave up the MCG to the competition at the end of our long reign of glory.

• Like 2

Heard David Matthews taslk about how the GWS focus is now on recruiting experienced players to complement their young talent. Our talent is not on their level however our need for experience is as strong. In whatever form list assistance comes, it needs to result in experienced talent coming onboard, not more young players who do not get developed. Mini draft is a good way to accomplish this.

• Like 1