Ling mentoring Trenners

Gorgoroth

Yer not really sure if there is much in it - that was mentioned on the tv (hawthorn vs Melbourne) and Ling said he just chats to Trengove occasionaly about trivial stuff.

Unless something has changed since then?

Hes looked much better the last fee weeks, seemed to have gained his old pace and spring?

Now he needs to start finding more of the footy, theres no way someone of his skill and talent should be averaging less than 20 touches.

It was also made public about 3 weeks agao that how the peptide fiasco has hurt his family, & this was worrying jack...

... also the peptides inquiries passed a milestone around 2 or 3 weeks back, where the bombers were talking about there likely being no personal liability or something. I don't remember much of the detail, but I remember thinking Jack will be OK.

... some, or all of these things may have contributed to Trenners better form,, not to mention his regaining fitness about then as well. after a week or 2 off... calf, or something...

It's great to have him Back... welcome back Jack ! we missed ya !!!

• Like 2

Funny how a player misses an entire pre-season with a very debilitating foot injury, and it takes him extra long to gain a bit of speed and fitness.

It's almost shocking.

We moan that our players are no good, but are so quick to cut down those with serious talent who may not be firing on all cylinders for a variety of reasons. Age and experience, plus fitness, being the main ones. Trenner is a baby FFS. Just because some idiot decided to make him captain, doesn't mean he can suddenly develop into a mature player over night.

• Like 9

Trengove talking to Ling makes sense for so many reasons but the obvious 2 are:

1. Leadership

2. How to play AFL when you are slow - this sounds trivial and I know injury has interrupted his season but Trengove isn't ever going to be quick. He can certainly jump and mark the ball in the air which is a positive but he also needs to learn how to beat faster opposition. If you look at Brock McLean the games sped up way passed him from about 2007 to 2011 and then he started to realise that he might not have speed but he adapted. You used to see McLean get run down regularly but now he doesn't, yes he may have picked up a crucial yard but mainly I think he's just realised he has to dispose of the ball quicker, hit packs and loose balls with speed, use a sidestep or a balk to get out of traffic.

Trengove talking to Ling makes sense for so many reasons but the obvious 2 are:

1. Leadership

2. How to play AFL when you are slow - this sounds trivial and I know injury has interrupted his season but Trengove isn't ever going to be quick. He can certainly jump and mark the ball in the air which is a positive but he also needs to learn how to beat faster opposition. If you look at Brock McLean the games sped up way passed him from about 2007 to 2011 and then he started to realise that he might not have speed but he adapted. You used to see McLean get run down regularly but now he doesn't, yes he may have picked up a crucial yard but mainly I think he's just realised he has to dispose of the ball quicker, hit packs and loose balls with speed, use a sidestep or a balk to get out of traffic.

Anticipation is the key imo. Being already on your toes with a plan where you are going to move . I think Cotchin is fantastic at this!

Interesting. Watson 'mentoring' Watts and Ling 'mentoring' Trengove.

For mine, this actually validates the Neeld/Craig position of elevating Grimes and Trenners to the captaincy. After the ridiculous displacement of Junior McDonald we simply had no AFL standard leader to mentor and guide the up-and-comers. And although Trenners is slow, I have never jumped off him. He has poise and class - on open display with that kick to Watts on Monday and also his goal kicking. He is the right bloke for captain.

• Like 2

He's getting better, but still as slow as a turtle.

Seemed to get his leap ,kicking ,penetration and speed back last Monday .

Was back to his first year strength.

Must have been injured before .

He is definitely getting some of his conditioning back, he was never quick but he was still able to go alright over the first couple of steps and that is what has been lacking in the last 12 months (due to injuries). Considering the two goals he kicked where one shot last year from 35m out didn't make the distance, you can certainly say he's getting there. Great to see the attacking Trenners out there.

• Like 1

Funny how a player misses an entire pre-season with a very debilitating foot injury, and it takes him extra long to gain a bit of speed and fitness.

It's almost shocking.

We moan that our players are no good, but are so quick to cut down those with serious talent who may not be firing on all cylinders for a variety of reasons. Age and experience, plus fitness, being the main ones. Trenner is a baby FFS. Just because some [censored] decided to make him captain, doesn't mean he can suddenly develop into a mature player over night.

I'm pretty sure captaincy is chosen by the players...

He is definitely getting some of his conditioning back, he was never quick but he was still able to go alright over the first couple of steps and that is what has been lacking in the last 12 months (due to injuries). Considering the two goals he kicked where one shot last year from 35m out didn't make the distance, you can certainly say he's getting there. Great to see the attacking Trenners out there.

I hope he explodes in the 2nd half of the season and wins the Bluey

He is very Bartel like, who is also not know for his speed.

Trenners isn't a worry at all in my eyes.

was beginning to see the return of old trenners when he was placed on Harry to cut down his influence. did that to a degree but his input was affected But certainly wasnt the worst dee on Monday