Dayle Garlett

deeko

We just cut Magner & in terms of physical development & ability, are there really that many mature aged state league midfield players out there much better & more ready than him? If we really were headed down that path again why cut Magner? We still have Jetta & Nicholson up in the air also, both of whom if retained I see as being potential midfield options (much as I have my doubts about either ever making the grade), so given we cut Couch & Magner this offseason & recruited Cross, Vince, Tyson & Michie as physically ready midfield options, I really can't see us drafting anything other than a few more kids to develop myself. Not saying we couldn't use more ready to go help in the midfield next year but the well is only so deep on that front. Can anyone name state league midfielders physically ready who had a better 2013 than Magner & Couch? I'm asking genuinely, I really don't know.

I dunno if Gartlett will make it or not, I have my doubts, but even as a 19 year old he seems way less mature than most aspiring footballers at the same age & from what we've seen over the years that says heaps. He doesn't even seem intelligent enough to know how to pretend to act like a professional (last years photos before the draft were beyond dumb IMO, at any age). At least I feel confident in our new footy dep over any past ones to make the call on this.

Take the bloke with pick 9 then...If he is the difference between hypothetical flags and all.

The point is, the only risk in taking him is from a non-football side of things. Nothing to do with ability. He can play, everyone has seen it and everyone knows it. Hypotheticals aside.

He's going to be an absolute steal for whoever gets him. I'm making ultimatums. And I'll be held accountable.

The guy will be a steal.

• Like 2

The point is, the only risk in taking him is from a non-football side of things. Nothing to do with ability. He can play, everyone has seen it and everyone knows it. Hypotheticals aside.

He's going to be an absolute steal for whoever gets him. I'm making ultimatums. And I'll be held accountable.

The guy will be a steal.

This is one I will take 'Pennants' view on 'steve', he has watched a lot of local footy in WA and has a good handle on it. I don't think he is as confident about his abilities on and off field as you but I might be putting words in his mouth.

• Like 1

I just watched his highlights the question is not should we pick him, but can we.. No way we would take him at 9 but will most likely be gone by 40.. The kids is good over head for a shorter player and has that live wire spark in spades,the magic is hard to find and is even harder to contain off the field but I think this is a risk worth talking.. So back to the question what number will he go at ?

I use to resent the thought of the club selecting Garlett, whether that was in the National Draft (ND) or the Rookie Draft (RD).

Although now if we select him with our third or fourth round pick I honestly won't mind. I have enough faith for once in the personal and structures of the club that if they deem him worthy and they believe they can extract his best attributes to turn him into a quality AFL footballer - despite the risks, I will believe it.

I don't want to sound like a mindless imbecile with a cliché line like "whatever Roos wants I want too", I recall friends saying similar things about Bailey around the time his tenure was coming to a close. In time I will judge Roos and his staff in the same manner I have our previous coaches, although with their proven track records in success and development (Roos, Stone, and Allison in particular) gives me faith.

The associated risks with Garlett (attitude) at one of those selections are just as high or similar to those of selecting a player with a good or improved attitude yet poor skills or poor physical attributes (Davis, Bail, Cheney) that are essentially the alternative options (exc. those hidden gems a club seems to find every now and then).

• Like 1

I just watched his highlights the question is not should we pick him, but can we.. No way we would take him at 9 but will most likely be gone by 40.. The kids is good over head for a shorter player and has that live wire spark in spades,the magic is hard to find and is even harder to contain off the field but I think this is a risk worth talking.. So back to the question what number will he go at ?

Is he eligible to be selected in the next week pre-draft (though on second thoughts he has never been on a list so is not de-listed) or can we make him an offer for the PRD [when we have second pick]?

Is he eligible to be selected in the next week pre-draft (though on second thoughts he has never been on a list so is not de-listed) or can we make him an offer for the PRD [when we have second pick]?

I don't exactly know what you are asking but here goes;

1. He can only go though the ND, then the PSD, then the RD.

2. He cannot pick which draft to go into.

I expect him to be drafted in the National Draft this time around and from what i have heard Hawthorn and Essendon seem likely

Not sure if Carlton would see him as a replacement for Betts

Melbourne like all other clubs have not been tempted so far but we no longer have the same FD doing the recruiting so who knows

I actually doubt he will last till pick 57 so we might never know our initial intentions

I have never been convinced about his work ethic without the ball and i would be pretty sure Roos would want that box ticked

The point is, the only risk in taking him is from a non-football side of things. Nothing to do with ability. He can play, everyone has seen it and everyone knows it.

Yes and no. There are the same questions as to his footballing shortcomings as there are with Sam Blease and a few of the other younger players around the club: work rate and defence. No point getting on the scoreboard if your man runs off you all day.

There's also the questions as to where you'd take him. Pick 40? Not sure that even that's not too high given the questions. But then, for pick 57, we may as well wait. There's an expectation that most clubs won't be particularly active outside the first 2 rounds, and as such, there will be a lot of players slip through to the rookie draft. So that's where I'd be looking, if at all.

• Like 1

Yes and no. There are the same questions as to his footballing shortcomings as there are with Sam Blease and a few of the other younger players around the club: work rate and defence. No point getting on the scoreboard if your man runs off you all day.

There's also the questions as to where you'd take him. Pick 40? Not sure that even that's not too high given the questions. But then, for pick 57, we may as well wait. There's an expectation that most clubs won't be particularly active outside the first 2 rounds, and as such, there will be a lot of players slip through to the rookie draft. So that's where I'd be looking, if at all.

I agree with most of what you are saying but not this. Sometimes the emphasis on defence is to great whereas the greatest defence can be attack. If he gets on the scoreboard and kicks a couple of early goals I can guarantee you that his man won't be running off him.

As others have stated I have watched him very closely and honestly don't know the answer whether to take him at Pick 40. He is a very different player this year to last year and the change off field is even bigger. My doubt on him is being hurt the other way and he was found out a little in the lift in intensity in the WAFL elimination final.

Do you take the risk and put him with a mentor, I'm not talking about an indigenous mentor I am talking having him run with a Jones, Cross at training in the way Sydney did with Jack, O'keefe & Jetta. The talent is undoubted and the disposal is fantastic, he has Lewis Jetta well and truly covered here but does not have the speed of Jetta.

To weigh up Garlett if you take him at 40 you are getting

Pros:

• A kid with the talent of a Top 10 Pick at a vastly reduced price
  • Elite disposal and a gift of making players go to the right spot with the weight he puts on the pass
  • Goal sense that would cause headaches for defenders - on the right day he is certainly capable of kicking 5 or 6 easily
  • He was jolted at not being selected last season and got his body & attitude right, so there is some hunger there

Cons:

• Question mark on work ethic, whilst there is marked improvement it needs to be maintained and even step up a gear at the next level. Can he do it?
  • He does not have the explosive pace or tackling pressure of a young Aaron Davey or Cyril Rioli so defensive pressure is not big for him. Having said that there has been occasions when he corners and harasses defenders, without lunging in blindly and forcing turnovers when they second guess themselves. In 2012 when the ball hit the deck that was the end of his effort.
  • At this stage he is only a forward, the tank is nowhere near AFL ready but he is not Robinson Crusoe there

Summing up it is a toss of a coin, if there is a player available at 40 you didn't expect then I would go for them over Garlett but that is just my opinion. The rewards for taking the punt on him and it paying off are massive. But we are taking a punt with a third round pick big loss if it doesn't pay off maybe there are always Farmer's, Swan's, Sloane's and others who get overlooked but he may be one of these.

Roos & Stone may be able to get the best out of him, time will tell. North missing out on Eddie Betts will be looking at him now. Barring an off field relapse he will be drafted just a matter of by whom and where

• Like 3

Summing up it is a toss of a coin, if there is a player available at 40 you didn't expect then I would go for them over Garlett but that is just my opinion.

Good input as always on Garlett PSD.

I suspect we already have someone lined up for 40, perhaps in the Matt Jones/Terlich vein. If not, feel that we're more likely to go with mids. With Kent and Blease you'd think we already have the speculative small forward role covered for the moment, and i just don't know that Garlett figures particularly highly in our draft plans.

Somewhere in that list of cons, you need to look at what the effect on the club would be if he went off the rails again and reverted to his worst behaviour of last year. The effect on the other members of the playing group, distraction of the club and club resources, effect on sponsorship agreements and the like. Other clubs that are more stable are in a much better position to deal with such things than us. We're still partly under AFL control and are coming out of a lengthy period of instability and still have to contend with an investigation into our former doctor's association with Stephen Dank.

I'm all in favour of giving second chances to kids whose lives strayed off the rails but there's far too much at stake at our club for the risk to be taken with this player. If North think they can handle him, then good luck.

• Like 4

Still many question marks over Garlett.

Once again, he'd be the most talented kid in the draft though, for the second year running.

Given all his issues, his chances for success probably lie with Hawthorn, a team he barracks for and would want to play for.

I feel that if Garlett played for a bottom side, he'd just think he is collecting a pay check and in turn he'd go on benders.

He isn't the sharpest tool in the shed and appears to have some sort of mental disorder, but even still, I haven't seen a talent like him come through in a long time.

The guy will be a steal.

Don't agree.

His onfield work ethic is deplorable.

Still many question marks over Garlett.

Once again, he'd be the most talented kid in the draft though, for the second year running.

Given all his issues, his chances for success probably lie with Hawthorn, a team he barracks for and would want to play for.

I feel that if Garlett played for a bottom side, he'd just think he is collecting a pay check and in turn he'd go on benders.

He isn't the sharpest tool in the shed and appears to have some sort of mental disorder, but even still, I haven't seen a talent like him come through in a long time.

That is a ridiculous statement for either of the years individually.

For both? "Never go full retard."

That is a ridiculous statement for either of the years individually.

For both? "Never go full retard."

For either years... You'll be hard up to find a scout that would tell you otherwise as well.

The kid is a unique talent, that doesn't mean he is the hardest working and has a rounded game.

But as far as pure talent goes, Garlett easily surpasses both years.

I think Hawthorn will pick him up with pick 37, but if he slipped to 40, he has to be a no brainer, right?

the latest phantom draft indeed has Hawthrorn picking him up with their pick before ours making this thread very hypothetical indeed. The idea of leaving him to pick #57 certainly would not be feasible.

For either years... You'll be hard up to find a scout that would tell you otherwise as well.

The kid is a unique talent, that doesn't mean he is the hardest working and has a rounded game.

But as far as pure talent goes, Garlett easily surpasses both years.

Rubbish.

It's hyperbole exacerbated by the fact the rest of his scouting report is so deplorable.

He's hardly Jack Martin.

Don't agree.

His onfield work ethic is deplorable.

Wouldn't quite go that far. He's improved it a hell of a lot this season in the WAFL.

Anyway, I'm over arguing my point. The guy has shown improvement in those areas of his game as well as his off-field behaviour. From that, I see a guy who has the desire to play at the highest level, and that's all that was needed this year. For him to show that he can commit. Too many worry warts on here. Within an AFL club, he'll have an abundance of caring coaches players and people to set him on the right path. Especially interstate.

"Ready to go" out for a night on the tiles..?

I think you're over reading this. Garlett is not some out of control party boy. He stupidly posted some photos on instagram and has paid the price.

A mate of mine was playing for Swans when Yarran and Jeff Garlett were drafted. My mate had a flash sound system in his car, 'allegedly' thanks to the 'handy work' of a Jeff Garlett "5 finger discount'.

Sonny Walters has his own problems too

Garlett wont be the first or last kid to be drafted with a few issues, but doesnt mean he wont be a great player.

• Like 1

Somewhere in that list of cons, you need to look at what the effect on the club would be if he went off the rails again and reverted to his worst behaviour of last year. The effect on the other members of the playing group, distraction of the club and club resources, effect on sponsorship agreements and the like. Other clubs that are more stable are in a much better position to deal with such things than us. We're still partly under AFL control and are coming out of a lengthy period of instability and still have to contend with an investigation into our former doctor's association with Stephen Dank.

I'm all in favour of giving second chances to kids whose lives strayed off the rails but there's far too much at stake at our club for the risk to be taken with this player. If North think they can handle him, then good luck.

This is what I'm talking about. What is this 'off-the rails' talk WJ? The fact that he was overlooked last year due to his lack of commitment and 'party boy' antics was fair enough. Clubs wanted to see if he could commit and prove himself this year. He has.

And he'll be picked up. There is no club within the AFL that he could destabilise. He is a young boy who has a bunch of mates in WA in which he parties with and gets up to some mischief, but unfortunately he has made that more public than most other players who do the same. Fact.

He hasn't killed anyone. He's not connected to any terrorist organisation from what I know...

He is simply a boy that needs to mature a bit more and probably benefit from being within an organisation with a support network, some great leaders and some quality development people/coaches.

• Like 1

It's very rare that you come across kids pre-draft who really know how hard to work defensively and it's something that is mostly developed within an AFL club. Sure Garlett's defensive efforts weren't fantastic during his under 18's year. But hey, I don't remember a guy named Jack Watts ever being fantastic defensively either. I understand he went at number 1 in the draft. And his defensive efforts are still questionable to this day.

The concerns for the player at hand have now spiralled out of control.