Realistic Future Melbourne Coach

MadAsHell

Future Melbourne Coach  

238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest cpfc

You'll be angry but I voted laidley then eade. Squirm at the thought of knights or another Neeld type faker. Roos if available thanks.

A north member at work really rates Laidley, says he got the most out of a list with no stars, finals?

How is that going to work?

The have to sanction the f___ing thing, they may aswell know who they are sanctioning.

Tell me what Jalland and McLardy know about football, they were on the last sub committee. Let the experts recommend and the board rubber stamp. They will know when they are told.

• Like 1

They are both extremely experienced. Both were great players. I mentioned this in another thread. How many coaches have coached premierships at 2 different clubs in the modern era? I could only think of Malthouse and Matthews. The rest have been first time coaches. Just because we have failed at choosing a good coach the last 2 times, doesn't mean we have to get an over the hilll experienced coach just for the sake of it.

Are people actually Being serious when bringing up Northeys name? I can't tell if people are joking or not.

Sumich stayed at Meth Coast for so long because he was no threat to Worsfold! I will be kind by just saying I along with many others in WA football don't rate him!

Edited by Pennant St Dee

If I was to choose anyone as a most likely I would lean towards Eade. However, I can picture Williams being the hard arsed, give no quarter to the players type but also being a very likeable coach that the players would respond to. This is purely in comparison to how I perceive Neeld as a coach.

Whilst everyone is guessing who the next coach should/would be my nomination is

Alex Ferguson;

He is available

He is proven

He is loyal

He can identify talent and

He doesn't accept lack of effort.

Thinking outside the box. I like it.

Why not look to something like NFL for a head coach. They have a real understanding of managing a team in the big leagues as far as money and professionalism go. You'd have to have pretty good line coaches under them, but they would take zero crap and our management would be world class.

Thinking outside the box. I like it.

Why not look to something like NFL for a head coach. They have a real understanding of managing a team in the big leagues as far as money and professionalism go. You'd have to have pretty good line coaches under them, but they would take zero crap and our management would be world class.

Got a spare $10m ?

Realistically I think Aryes would cost next to nothing, has experience coaching at AFL level. Has been been coaching Port Melbourne for the past 5 years so knows the modern game well enough..

But I'd love to see Mark Williams poached from Richmond, from what I've heard he is good at developing and relating to young players.. Which is something that this club lacks, just look at the players that leave and go on.. ie Jolly and Thompson..

I even saw on fox sports the much maligned Cale Morton said the difference between training at West Coast compared to Melbourne was enormous..

Loveable? Malthouse? I don't see it.

I'm always in favour of a coach who has had some relatively recent involvement as player, coach or assistant coach in an AFL premiership. Which would go against Matthew Knights (although in his favour is that he built the key building blocks of the Essendon list).

Which I don't believe will stand up under the strain of finals pressure. Knights' winning percentage is something like 33%. It's better than Neeld's, but you'd better hope to have a better record than him. A definite no on Knights.

Meanwhile, those that keep bringing up Ayres. My god, no. VFL is a totally different environment, just ask the likes of Dunn, Magner, Fitz and Sellar. The only way I'd consider Ayres is in the implausible situation of being relegated to the VFL.

They are both extremely experienced. Both were great players. I mentioned this in another thread. How many coaches have coached premierships at 2 different clubs in the modern era? I could only think of Malthouse and Matthews. The rest have been first time coaches. Just because we have failed at choosing a good coach the last 2 times, doesn't mean we have to get an over the hilll experienced coach just for the sake of it.

Are people actually Being serious when bringing up Northeys name? I can't tell if people are joking or not.

I'm deadly serious about Swooper, despite his age.

He's been there and done that, took Melbourne to the finals after 22 years of missing them. Took Richmond to the finals after 12 years of missing them and took the Brisbane Bears to a Prelim. All basket case teams that Northey transformed.

He's still coaching, would cost a lot less coin which means you can spend that money on the best assistants out there with a view to a hand over in about 3 years time. Northey to plant the seeds for someone else as he's been there and done it all before. Would universaly loved by the players at all the clubs he's coached also.

The man still loves the club and I have no doubt would be up for the challenge.

I note you don't have Mark Neeld on the list. I think that to be a balanced poll he would have to be included even if you don't rate him as a realistic chance.

When I say future I mean next. So it could be that you don't think they'll come in until 2020 if you believe Neeld will last that long.

How about Scotty Burns.... not even on the list ??

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2011-09-09/burns-builds-hot-midfield

Hasn't been a Senior Coach at AFL level.

Tell me what Jalland and McLardy know about football, they were on the last sub committee. Let the experts recommend and the board rubber stamp. They will know when they are told.

That's why I suggested Healy (former player & current board member) as he knows plenty about football. As for McLardy or as I suggested Freeman being on the panel, of course the president or soon to be president should be there, how can they be held accountable if they're not?

I had no idea Swooper was still coaching. Whereabouts?

On Sumich, the idea is to find a coach who has been in the AFL ranks for a long time. Coaches like Lyon and Hinkley who have had to wait there turn and when they get the chance they are hungry. But obviously if he's no good then pass.

I had no idea Swooper was still coaching. Whereabouts?

On Sumich, the idea is to find a coach who has been in the AFL ranks for a long time. Coaches like Lyon and Hinkley who have had to wait there turn and when they get the chance they are hungry. But obviously if he's no good then pass.

The AFL coaches breeding farm known as the Ballarat Football League.

Northey as our next coach? FMD.

• Like 2

Yep the Swans I think it is. I know it's not the AFL, but he's still involved in the game and there for I have no doubt keeps a close eye on how the games evolved.

Northey for 3 years with a hand over. Would love to see that happen, he'd at the very least get the players playing for eachother and the jumper and have the place in some sort of order for a rookie coach to then take over unlike how the place is now.

Yep the Swans I think it is. I know it's not the AFL, but he's still involved in the game and there for I have no doubt keeps a close eye on how the games evolved.

Northey for 3 years with a hand over. Would love to see that happen, he'd at the very least get the players playing for eachother and the jumper and have the place in some sort of order for a rookie coach to then take over unlike how the place is now.

Are you really qualifying the BFL as "being involved in the game"? Do yourself a favour and go and watch a BFL game. It's a terrible standard with minimal comparisons to the way they play in the VFL let alone the big league.

I appreciate everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the Northey suggestion is a [censored] joke.

At no stage did I say the standard of the BFL is equal to the AFL, don't know where that's come from???

I said what it shows it that the fact he's still involved with the game of football, means he still obviously loves the game. Hence he would still keep a very close eye on the game and the current trends.

If you surrounded Swooper with some of the best assistants going round then there's no reason why it wouldn't work. The current trend is the get older coaches to over see rookies. Why not have an experienced senior coach who knows how to motivate and get the best out of his players with assistants who are totally over the modern trends.

Barassi went to Sydney after 7 years of no coaching what so ever. Swoopers at least been coaching in some form.

Has to be Williams. Covers all bases, premierships, commands respect (and a little bit of fear) bit of personality/craziness to keep media entertained, and will be hungry for a top job.

A reshuffle of assistants with royal getting the DCM and possible addition of a recent retiree (black, junior, ling ect) is all that's needed for support staff, Craig (if he is OK with choco) can continue, maybe spending more time coaching the coaches as well

Whether Richmond would release him now is another story, but end of the year must be the first announcement we make!

I'd sit down with NC, viney and Rawlings, and discuss who is willing to see out the season in top spot, and get them in as of the bye, let neeld see out the QB clash against the team he wants us to play like