Chris Dawes

In Neeld's presser Dawes impressed me. No bs. No excuses. Genuine anger at the level of effort. No one was left in any doubt.

its been a while since a player from mfc has been that cut up by our performances.

Chris comes across as a genuine, uncompromising leader.

• Like 17

Yep. I like it. Sure he might not be the real power forward J Brown like leader but what we need now is uncompromising repeat effort in running and attacking the ball and chasing. Key forwards draw the ball from their size but as much as that its their work rate.

Dawes today seemed to run and lead as much as any forward we have besides Clark. We desperately need both of them but for now Chris will do.

Neeld and the jacks should learn we don't want any more excuses.

• Like 1

Pity he's not a great competative mark. Reminds me to much of Miller. Works hard, good lead up forward. At least seems to be an accurate kick, certainoly better than Miller on that front.

Is that the same Miller who was a handy work horse and foil for Riewoldt at Richmond as they went from basket case to verge of finals?

That doesn't sound too bad.

Pity he's not a great competative mark. Reminds me to much of Miller. Works hard, good lead up forward. At least seems to be an accurate kick, certainoly better than Miller on that front.

Apparently he suffered from a pretty bad thumb injury that messed up his marking for a couple of years at Collingwood. Perhaps that injury has made him a little reticent to really "go the dukes," as that [censored] Brian Taylor would say.

If I were Mark Neeld, I'd get Mitch Clark to teach him how to extend the arms again. That's one thing Clark does really well.

• Like 3

I think Chris is one of the quality individuals (plural, one bloke as I have said won't fix all at this club) we need to get us up off the canvas. We need plenty more of his type on all front (on field and off field).

Really impressed with his game today. He kept on presenting, providing a contest and gave our mids a forward target.

It will take him a few more weeks to refine his game but what I saw today was very pleasing.

We will have the best forward line in the comp next year with Dawes, Clark and Hogan.

Lets just hope the coaching staff don't screw this up.

• Like 2

My only criticism of Dawes is that he didn't attack the ball in the air and try to take it out in front. Went for a chest mark when he shouldn't have a couple of times and waited for the ball to get to him and got spoiled once. Other than that, he was great. Very smart with his leading.

In neeld's pressor Dawes impressed me. No bs. No excuses. Genuine anger at the level of effort. No one was left in any doubt.

its been a while since a player from mfc has been that cut up by our performances.

Chris comes across as a genuine, uncompromising leader.

Agree he just has that on field presence - something we lack so much!

Most teams (even junior level) have that big player that everyone looks up to - tough/strong Jonathan Brown type of player.

I know I have already said it already but just loved that moment when we had a good center clearance and banged it into the forward 50. It rolled out of bounds but Dawes made an effort to applaud the mids for winning the clerance and then everyone else around him seemed to go ... oh maybe we should try that?

Was at the start of the game and just made Dawes look like he just oozes leadership - anyone else see that?

• Like 4

Great game. Didn't have a consistent impact, but looked dangerous when given decent delivery. His presence, especially in the first half felt like that of Neitz. Had a couple of good second efforts too. Looked better and quicker than he did for most of his last year with Collingwood

• Like 2

Given his limited pre season and woeful delivery he did well today. He is not going to have the impact he did at Collingwood because we don't have Thomas, Pendlebury and Swan kicking it to him, but given the number of inside fifties today he made the most of them.

Given his limited pre season and woeful delivery he did well today. He is not going to have the impact he did at Collingwood because we don't have Thomas, Pendlebury and Swan kicking it to him, but given the number of inside fifties today he made the most of them.

he had f all impact at Collingwood as he was second fiddle to Cloke.

He's the main man now and has every chance to lead like he did today.

Even with Clark back I can see it going Dawes as the bread and butter leading forward who sets things up whilst Clark provides the X factor.

• Like 1

Until Clark comes back, he'll be our number 1 man, so I think he'll be getting more delivery than he was at Collingwood. It just won't be as good.

EDIT: What the Master said.

Edited by Chook

I said on the post match thread that he looks like he could turn into a senior coach in about 10 years time. That would be great to see.

Funny you should say that - I watched the post match interview with Neeld & Dawes and I was really impressed with Dawes. He gets his message across really well in a very commanding way and I was thinking he could be a coach one day.

• Like 1

Apparently he suffered from a pretty bad thumb injury that messed up his marking for a couple of years at Collingwood. Perhaps that injury has made him a little reticent to really "go the dukes," as that [censored] Brian Taylor would say.

If I were Mark Neeld, I'd get Mitch Clark to teach him how to extend the arms again. That's one thing Clark does really well.

I got told the same, except finger,not thumb.

Either way I think Dawes looks a good pick up.

Funny you should say that - I watched the post match interview with Neeld & Dawes and I was really impressed with Dawes. He gets his message across really well in a very commanding way and I was thinking he could be a coach one day.

How about next year?

A friend of mine taught him at school and reckons he lacks for little in leadership talent.

His older brother was a good footballer as well but took a different career path to Chris.

ps: Chris was a "mad" Geelong supporter as a kid!

• Like 1

I said on the post match thread that he looks like he could turn into a senior coach in about 10 years time. That would be great to see.

Looks as if he has more clues, and is certainly more inspiring ALREADY than our current senior coach!

• Like 1

I am a great Chris Dawes admirer - I was at a Collingwood and am now.

Is he a Cloke ? No way - doesnt have the hands but what he has in everything he does is a thirst for the contest.

I like his ability not only to win some contests but it is the amount of contests he halves. Brings the ball to the ground, crashes packs. He got in front of his opponent up on the wing and was spoiled ( probably should have taken the mark) but then buttered up to make sure the ball didnt leave his area by laying a tackle on the Richmond bloke who picked up the crumbs. It is his 2nd and 3rd e

Also - no comparison to Miller - yeah he leads up but he is a much smarter footballer than Miller ever was.

Just one more point to add. Bailey seemed to believe he could create a big, solid forward from scratch drafting Watts and Cook for the purpose. Neeld recognised he couldn't wait that long and went out and got Clark and Dawes. Hogan's just a bonus who now has time to develop with other large bodies forwards around him.

Neeld now has to get the midfield organised...and quickly.

• Like 7