Howe - needed more involvement

Jetta - tried but failed

Jamar - an effective ruckman

Bail- just a plodder

M.Jones - rarely affected game

Terlich - rough but ready

Magner - slow but smart

Too much time...

Thought Jetta was good. Kept the pressure up when the others died off. I thought he showed more than most.

I really want to see what others see in Nev but I've never seen him play a game where he's had any genuine impact.

Admittedly he's been swung around a lot, but I just don't see him getting better and being up to it.

Ditto Bail and Nicholson, and Mckenzie tries his heart out but just doesn't have the basic skills to be an AFL player. Not sure where Strauss is going either. Tough times ahead for those guys I suspect.

I really want to see what others see in Nev but I've never seen him play a game where he's had any genuine impact.

Admittedly he's been swung around a lot, but I just don't see him getting better and being up to it.

Ditto Bail and Nicholson, and Mckenzie tries his heart out but just doesn't have the basic skills to be an AFL player. Not sure where Strauss is going either. Tough times ahead for those guys I suspect.

Jetta starred in Darwin one day. I think double the stats of any of our forwards and you get the real stats, the ball never comes down. I like Nevs attitude.

McKenzie never had huge skill issues when he was playing in a half decent side. Lets reassess in 5 weeks.

Strauss just isn't finding the ball but is defending beautifully and putting his head over it. Team mates need to use him.

Bail and Nicholson I hold little hope for. Bail at least has looked better at times but the skills are rubbish

Matt Jones great game in Melbourne terms I mean. He had go and got down and dirty, nothing flashy just hard work.

• Like 1

Jetta had two howlers and squibbed a marking contest, however he also made space where there was none on several occasions, broke tackles, stuck tackles and left himself wide open to create a turnover out of nothing that resulted in a goal. All in all I think he came out ahead this game. If he could get those silly errors out of his game he would look much better.

I also don't understand the attack on Nicho. Normally he's a shocker, but today his kicking was well above his usual standard and he generally made the right decision. My one query on him today is that he didn't register a tackle, and given his combative nature that seems odd.

I thought Strauss was decent today too. As has been mentioned, he needs to get more of the ball, but his defensive game was very good and this has always been the biggest question over him. If he is winning his one-on-ones and his opponent isn't having an impact then he's improving his weaker areas. More than a few times I saw him use his pace to beat multiple opponents to the ball and force it over the side, which is a win that doesn't show up on any stats sheet that I know of.

I will however agree with the ratings of McKenzie and Bail. Bother were largely ineffective today. I did like the number of time Jordie got frees by attacking the ball in close quarters.

Trengove - better not great
N. Jones - was well held
Toumpas - needs more time
Dawes - showing his value
Frawley - back to best
McKenzie - good taggers game
Dunn - showing his potential
Strauss - talented but limited
Garland - his bnf year?
Nicholson - needs to lift
Sellar - did his job
Evans - needed more effort
Tapscott - so hard at-it
Davey - is he back?
Gawn - looks pretty tired
Howe - good in patches
Jetta - he can play
Jamar - an effective ruckman
Bail - step backward yesterday
M.Jones - was good inside
Terlich - really liked him
Magner - just a soldier

Would you like to enlighten when these occurred "Jetta had two howlers and squibbed a marking contest", particularly the latter

Not that I posted it, but one howler was the dropped chest mark from the pass by Flash about 15 metres out, The ball then went down for a Tigers goal and 12 point turnaround. At the time we were a few points down, in the second quarter.

The squibbed mark was when he stayed out instead of spoiling or attempting the mark, when he was in line with the ball, which was then marked and goaled by the Tigers. If he had tried he would at least have spoiled the mark and stopped the goal.

Can't recall the other howler, maybe the poster will advise.

Not that I posted it, but one howler was the dropped chest mark from the pass by Flash about 15 metres out, The ball then went down for a Tigers goal and 12 point turnaround. At the time we were a few points down, in the second quarter.

The squibbed mark was when he stayed out instead of spoiling or attempting the mark, when he was in line with the ball, which was then marked and goaled by the Tigers. If he had tried he would at least have spoiled the mark and stopped the goal.

Can't recall the other howler, maybe the poster will advise.

The dropped chest mark occurred when Howe jumped in front of him and he lost sight of the ball, so therefore not Jetta's mistake per se, I would think it was Howe's for not leaving it

Oh don't think that is squibbling, think that is a bit harsh, ever thought he might have been wrong footed, no of course not, let's just bag MFC players

Evans - needs more effort - that is so laughable, this is a guy with less than 10 games under his belt who was running as far and as fast at the end of the last quarter and he was at the beginning of the first, his goal in the last qtr, watch the vision see where he came from to be alone in the goal square

Would you like to enlighten when these occurred "Jetta had two howlers and squibbed a marking contest", particularly the latter

I'm pretty sure it was the first quarter he had two passes under no pressure that fell short and pinpointed an opponent. The marking contest was right in front of Richmonds goal about 40m out. He had the chance to cut in front and spoil, but saw the leading FF coming at him and stayed out. Once I have the game DLed I'll be able to give you the quarter and time if you like.

Edit: As Redleg says, the dropped mark was not his fault, so I don't see how that can be counted against him. The pass was clearly meant for him and Howe should have stayed out of it.

Edit Edit: The marking contest resulted in a point so I can't get it quickly off smart replay. It'll have to wait until I have the whole thing DLed.

Edited by RalphiusMaximus

I'm pretty sure it was the first quarter he had two passes under no pressure that fell short and pinpointed an opponent. The marking contest was right in front of Richmonds goal about 40m out. He had the chance to cut in front and spoil, but saw the leading FF coming at him and stayed out. Once I have the game DLed I'll be able to give you the quarter and time if you like.

Edit: As Redleg says, the dropped mark was not his fault, so I don't see how that can be counted against him. The pass was clearly meant for him and Howe should have stayed out of it.

Edit Edit: The marking contest resulted in a point so I can't get it quickly off smart replay. It'll have to wait until I have the whole thing DLed.

It's impossible to judge the drop mark being his fault or not.

I was always taught that the guy behind either calls a player out of a contest or calls them back to take the mark. Davey puts a bit of zip on his kick so he might have thought it was too far for Howe and should've called him out or he might of thought Howe could get it and therefore should've called him back.

As I said without being there you can't judge who was right or wrong.

Q1. 22:15 Jetta kicks poorly allowing Cotchin to intercept. Cotchin kicks to a leading Jake King. Jetta had the option of cutting in front of the lead but instead stood to one side and poked an arm at it. King's kick fortunately hits the post. A double-whammy for Nev in less than a minute. Fortunately he pulled his socks up after the first and started to play some better football.

It's impossible to judge the drop mark being his fault or not.

I was always taught that the guy behind either calls a player out of a contest or calls them back to take the mark. Davey puts a bit of zip on his kick so he might have thought it was too far for Howe and should've called him out or he might of thought Howe could get it and therefore should've called him back.

As I said without being there you can't judge who was right or wrong.

I don't think Nev knew he was coming. Howe comes in from the side and cuts across his field of vision. I don't have the right to argue whether he had any business being there, but once he committed to going for it he had to take the mark. I don't think anyone can dispute that his involvement is the reason Jetta dropped it.

I don't think Nev knew he was coming. Howe comes in from the side and cuts across his field of vision. I don't have the right to argue whether he had any business being there, but once he committed to going for it he had to take the mark. I don't think anyone can dispute that his involvement is the reason Jetta dropped it.

As a side issue, was that the right option for Davey in the first place? I would have thought he had more time and space than he realised, could have run in closer to goal and had the shot himself. (Note: I'm not criticising him for the decision, just asking whether others saw it that way.)