• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHASING TIGER TAIL

Demonland

Agree but we need a few more mids to hurry up the process.

Agreed Ox. Wouldn't it be sensational if we picked up a kid of the Jaegar Omeara standard. Knowing our luck, it'll be a kid more anaemic than Cale Morton.

Thoughts, in no particular order:

Jamar was playing on a no name and continues to fall over at almost every centre bounce. Every time he seemed to get a hit out in the defensive fifty, more often than not it was a dinky little knock to his feet. He tried harder today, but against half competent ruckmen, he's embarrassing. He simply gets shown up around the ground. Mind you. Gawn was shown up today too. Very, very, ordinary game from Maxy. His kicking is back to what it was prior 2013 too.

Liked Dawes' game and I haven't seen Davey hit the scoreboard or influence the contest as much in the last four years as today.

Some of Tappy's decision making and kicking is ordinary, given what a talented boot he has. Though he did some good things in amongst the turn overs.

Trengove's pace is a worry. He really has slowed since coming to the club. You only have to watch his video from the '09 Championships to see the difference.

I used to find Nathan Jones a one paced, poor decision maker, who failed to notice his limitations. Under Neeld he has turned into one of my favourite players. You can never question Jones' endeavour, but quite often now, he makes good to great decisions with ball in hand.

Magner was solid too, as was Matt Jones.

Frawley played quite well on Riewoldt, who I thought had two goals he shouldn't have. He beat Chippa at the end of the third quarter in that contest, where he snapped a goal from forty around his body. Outside of that, Frawley tends to always have Riewoldt's measure.

I was really disappointed in Garland's game today. He played long parts of the game on the likes of Martin and a resting Cotchin. He's a foot taller than these guys and is playing key position most of the time. He was out-marked far too many times today. I think he'll be disappointed in himself.

Howe doesn't work nearly hard enough up forward. He becomes really lazy. I thought his move into the sweeper role in the final quarter suited him though. It also allows him to read the play a bit. Very defensive move though.

I hate that we've supposedly got a more defensive-minded coach, yet we continue to leak goals. Our midfield was better at times today, but we were shown up for pace, as was expected, and lacked sound decision making coming out of the back half (again). How many times did we turn it over directly from kick ins? I'd love to see a stat on that. Our defence were also sucked too high up the ground on a couple of occasions, which resulted in goals out the back. The same thing happened against Carlton. Not smart football and still hasn't been addressed.

Understatement of the century, but it's horrible being a Melbourne supporter at the moment. I only hope that a change of coach (implementing stronger, more viable structures, with an ability to instil confidence across the ground) and the injection of midfield talent (experienced and young) will help right this sinking ship.

Don't agree re Garland. Thought he was great.

• Like 1

what i enjoyed today

The fact we were still in the game at 3/4 time

Our tackling was so much better

Watching Davey go back in time and play when he was really good, is goal kicking and passes were great today. Thats the Davey we want every week

Jetta just some little things he did wer n ice but that dropped mark he did from daveys kick was unforgivable

Frawley getting the ball and running like he used to

Evans just gets better

Trengove is still trying to find his fitness levels. He barely had a pre season

Dawes. Loved his leading and he chased. How I wish Clarke was in the team right now to help him

Magner. Seriously get this guy on the senior list permantely

Lastly grimes doing a radio interview and not wearing the stupid blazer. They are gone

Crucial time, wasn't it?

I reckon that Howe obscured his vision.

Not enough talk.

• Like 3

Return to glory, Howe was the player who covered the most ground and ranthe most of any Demon player, so to sayhe doesmt work hard enough is wrong.

• Like 1

Dawes was reasonable but I feel he could have presented a bit better. A couple of times he just stood there and waited to mark the ball - that frustrated the hell out of me. As well as that, it seems like he doesn't have the confidence to mark out in front and always goes the chest mark, though hopefully the confidence will come.

• Like 2

While it was a better effort today Neeld still needs to go.

Watching a game hoping our team is competitive is a joke, that should be a given.

We should be watching them and hoping we WIN not just be competitive.

Again I say Neeld needs to go.

Edited by DemonOX
  • Like 4

Don't agree re Garland. Thought he was great.

youve got low standards. He doesn't create with run or marks or spoils. And a goal king got running forward of him was shocking. Wasn't at all a leaders game today.

A super disappointing moment was when he got the ball at half back and went wider to Howe when he had 2 open men in the middle of the corridor. Howe marked but the blatant lack of courageous decision making continues to haunt Garlands game

The Demons refuse to bust a gut i.e SPRINT to get create an option. It's pathetic to watch.

The Kickouts today!

Terlich Dunn or Frawley kicking out = NO.

If Davey is playing, then he should kick out EVERY SINGLE TIME unless there is a quick play-on option. Watt's can do it when he's back.

• Like 3

Agree the performance had positives. But I really cant see positives in Trengove ATM. He is a much better player than we are seeing. WHY?

After Half time i thought he worked into the game well. He was starting to look like his old self

• Like 1

Dawes was reasonable but I feel he could have presented a bit better. A couple of times he just stood there and waited to mark the ball - that frustrated the hell out of me. As well as that, it seems like he doesn't have the confidence to mark out in front and always goes the chest mark, though hopefully the confidence will come.

did that a bit early then got better. It's a touch issue and game style issue. He's much more used to playing one on one than being the pack cruncher.

But his work rate and positioning was far superior to any other forward we've had and his defensive pressure is good. He actually directs the rest of the blokes very well.

• Like 3

You have to remember Dawes has to get used to our players. He is used to having players like Swan, Thomas, beams and pendlebury kick it to him out front beautifully delivered.

In ths team he doesnt have these superstars delivering it to him perfecly. He will get used to it and the way we play.

How good will it be next year when Dawes, Clarke and hogan line up in the forward line. Big bodies there.

The Demons refuse to bust a gut i.e SPRINT to get create an option. It's pathetic to watch.

The Kickouts today!

Terlich Dunn or Frawley kicking out = NO.

If Davey is playing, then he should kick out EVERY SINGLE TIME unless there is a quick play-on option. Watt's can do it when he's back.

oh please! A half forward is going to run to take kickouts? Really?

Dunn, Garland, Terlich and Strauss should all continue to take kickouts. Frawley should bust his gut and provide a marking option.

Watts could take kick outs if he breaks back into the team which would mean playing some half decent footy.

Dunn had a nightmare kicking out which reflects his lack of experience. But he can thump it 60 and is a decent short kick. We should persist.

Terlich has done a great job at kickouts. Not perfect but mainly reliable. Strauss should get more opportunities. Garland is another option but should focus on long kicks mainly.

• Like 1

We were also smashed in the disposals again, this time by over 100. I know people will say this doesn't matter and sometimes it doesn't but it does when it happens week in week out. Why can we not get the ball? Every time the ball hit the ground all I saw was black and yellow?

We stand off the opposition and wait for them to grab the ball.

Also did you see how many uncontested possessions they had just moving it around at will? I counted 20 possessions in 1 play where the tigers just chipped around uncontested.

He's always done that. He does lead well - but the first thing you learn as a forward is to jump up, extend the arms and stick your butt out to prevent the spoil. But often he'll just half extend the arms. He wants to write an entire article about the basics? He can't even perform the most basic forward rule of all time.

And that goes for the whole team. Jump up and out and take it at the highest point like all the best players do. ATTACK THE BLOODY BALL!

• Like 2

oh please! A half forward is going to run to take kickouts? Really?

Dunn, Garland, Terlich and Strauss should all continue to take kickouts. Frawley should bust his gut and provide a marking option.

Watts could take kick outs if he breaks back into the team which would mean playing some half decent footy.

Dunn had a nightmare kicking out which reflects his lack of experience. But he can thump it 60 and is a decent short kick. We should persist.

Terlich has done a great job at kickouts. Not perfect but mainly reliable. Strauss should get more opportunities. Garland is another option but should focus on long kicks mainly.

Zany idea isn't it, having the best kick take the kickouts.

You have to remember Dawes has to get used to our players. He is used to having players like Swan, Thomas, beams and pendlebury kick it to him out front beautifully delivered.

In ths team he doesnt have these superstars delivering it to him perfecly. He will get used to it and the way we play.

How good will it be next year when Dawes, Clarke and hogan line up in the forward line. Big bodies there.

Wont mean jack if we don't have the mids to deliver the pill dees.

While it was a better effort today Neeld still needs to go.

Watching a game hoping our team is competitive is a joke, that should be a given.

We should be watching them and hoping we WIN not just be competitive.

Again I say Neeld needs to go.

Well Choco got a good look at us today.

Today was a positive turnaround.

We all know how bad we have been. So for me today i was looking for effort and pressure and they did deliver on that.

We laid 68 tackles, which huge improvement on last week.

We lost the game cause we lack some class.

Dont forget it was said we are the worst team since Fitzroy and yet we were in the game. While missing Sylvia, Clark, Watts, Grimes, Hogan, Viney etc

So today shows the previous weeks isnt a true reflection of what the side is capable of.

and Murphy, Franklin, Judd, lets not play this game

I think you misinterpreted me. I was only wondering whether we would be in the same position we are in now if we had Ablett. He seems to lead GC single handedly and no doubt is a great mentor for young team mates. Everyone knows our midfield is pulling us down - would one player in Ablett have a big influence on our team?

I am not seeing any game are you? ... and if you don't like games you are on the wrong forum.

Edited by Young Dee

The passage of play in the second quarter (I think) where Frawley switched long to Sellar, who went down the wing to Davey, who speared a pass into Dawes, who goaled, was the best piece of play I've seen from us all year. Precise disposal, hard running and a strong finish.

• Like 4

"Our biggest issue is that we get killed in uncontested possessions. Reason - we don't play well enough as a team when we've got the ball."

Absolutely agree, Macca. We do not link up well enough and so have few passages where we hold onto the ball uncontested. Everyone went on about Ellis, Houli, etc... They get so much of because our set up allows it.

Not only that but often when we do have the opportunity to link up we turn the ball over through skill errors or poor decision making. Richmond won today because they had a bit more class and composure but I thought we played probably the best I've seen us play under Neeld besides last year vs Essendon. Our players put in effort and repeated efforts today and our structures seemed much better than they have been. Our players still have to learn to stand on their men and not 5-10 metres off but with a bit more polish we would not have continually turned the ball over in the back half (especially from kickouts) and would have taken advantage of more of our opportunities going forward. As othes have said add Clark, Grimes, Viney & Watts into that team today and it may have been a different result.

If I was a Richmond supporter I wouldn't be too impressed with that game today they played pretty stupid footy for big chunks of time and got "strangled" to an extent by our players dropping back across half back. They had a 5 man forward line for much of the match playing a 7th man loose in defense - if I was a Tiges supporter if be asking Hardwick why?

Anyway there was a lot to be maybe not happy but content with today. If we give that effort week in week out the supporters will be more inclined to allow the time Neeld asks for. It is still frustrating though that we've basically lost two games (Brisbane & Richmond) due to poor skill and decision making rather than being beaten as such by the opposition.

Dawes is a genuine forward in the modern sense. He'll only get better the more he plays with and understands our players delivery.

The Richmond spud of a supporter in front of me got stuck into him in the last quarter (only once they felt comfortable enough that they wouldn't lose). I pointed out to him that unfortunately Dawesy is no gun like Ty Vickery. He didn't like that much.

Chris will be good for us. He gives us something to aim at while we wait on Mitch and Jesse.

• Like 3

Compared to last week:

• Effort B (a huge improvement)
  • Skills D (fewer 'howlers' but still way, way off the pace)
  • Decision making D+ (better, but still costing us goals at both ends)

For me, the key questions are:

• can we back up the improvement next Sunday against Freo (and take a few more baby steps)?
  • ...... or will we do what usually happens after a more competitive effort?
  • Like 2

Zany idea isn't it, having the best kick take the kickouts.

Id rather Terlich, Strauss or Dunn, all above average kicks whoever is closest take the ball and hit the open space or man than Davey kick into a fully set up zone to a player who will then likely have no options.

Sure when you are having repeat issues it's leadership for a guy like Davey to go down and own it. Marc Murphy and Dal Santo do that but that's once a game at most.

Lets get the guys who play small defender at will be in the area to keep practicing and improve.

Otherwise it's like saying Davey should run passed for a handball every time someone gets a mark. When people should keep kicking and moving the ball quickly