Could Fitzpatrick slot in CHB?

ashdemons22

I know this is the least of our worrys but I have seen the trend this year for 200cm + players playing CHB.

The likes of Carlise from Essendon and Rory Thompson from GC and Roughhead from WB. I think giving Fitz a shot down there would be a good move.

He is a great contested mark, very quick and agile. And if all the talk around town about Spud wanting to leave at the end of the year, grooming Fitz down back could be handy.

Thats of course if he gets a game, Come next year we are going to have Clark,Dawes,Hogan,Gawn,Watts who can all basically play forward and I see to much skill in Fitzpatrick to keep playing at VFL or even leaving.

What do you guys think?

No and No. We need good kicks down back.

I feel as a dees supporters we are investing in someone here who is not going to make it. He had the worst skills of any recruit I've seen since Steve O'Dwyer, and although he has obviously improved, its probably a sign that whilst he is getting in the bests at Casey, he still is not getting games for Melbourne when we had no talls up forward.

I'm happy to develop players at Casey for a few years, as it it works for the Geelongs in the comp, but I can't see it happening with Jack.

Happy for others to argue their case.

Edited by Bay Riffin

I think he will make it as a forward/ruckman and he offers more to the side than Spencer. I could see Gawn and Fitzy as our two ruckmen spending some time as well in the forward line.

• Like 2

If one of Jamar or Spencer were out of contract at the end of this season then it may have been a possability, but as both are contratced and Fitzy's out of contract I think the writting's on the wall.

He'll need some big games at Casey to get a game at senior level and then have a break out game quick to secure a new contract, but I can't see him with us next year.

I can however see another club taking a punt on him.

Me thinks Mitch Clark will be out CHB in a couple of years time once JH is in the mix.

It amazes me that Fitzy is still in the twos while Pencil is getting a game in the firsts and performing terribly. It's time to give Fitz a good crack, he's earnt it.

Too bloody right.

I want an explanation of why Fitz is not getting a game as opposed to reading how solid he's been at Casey basically every weekend.

• Like 1

I don't think Fitzy has the tools to be a key defender but I agree with the gist of the topic. There is a growing trend towards 2m+ forwards or resting ruckmen. This means that clubs are going to have to find 2m+ defenders. Clark is an intersting one; he has the tools to play just about anywhere. I thought his best ever season was as #1 ruck for Brisbane a few years ago. I thought he was not a key forward but he has convinved me he is.

Too bloody right.

I want an explanation of why Fitz is not getting a game as opposed to reading how solid he's been at Casey basically every weekend.

Yep, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that he isn't getting games after kicking 50 odd goals last year and dominating the seconds, particularly when we are struggling for key talls at the moment and Spence is a liability.

Too bloody right.

I want an explanation as to why Magner was not upgraded and played last week, or this week.

• Like 2

No and No. We need good kicks down back.

I feel as a dees supporters we are investing in someone here who is not going to make it. He had the worst skills of any recruit I've seen since Steve O'Dwyer, and although he has obviously improved, its probably a sign that whilst he is getting in the bests at Casey, he still is not getting games for Melbourne when we had no talls up forward.

I'm happy to develop players at Casey for a few years, as it it works for the Geelongs in the comp, but I can't see it happening with Jack.

Happy for others to argue their case.

Can't see Fitzy playing CHB, but can see him having a decent career, hopefully with us.

He has had an interrupted preseason so has been left at Casey to get his match fitness up - I find it hard to believe either Gawn or Fitzy have the match fitness to play a full game as number 1 ruck due to their preseasons, so ATM it's Fitzy or Gawn, Gawn having played more games this year and has done well in the seniors, so Fitzy just needs to keep working and continuing to do well at Casey. From the Casey games I have seen, I thought his field kicking has been good, am nervous about his set shots but he has been accurate in the two games I have seen him play.

Fitzy is a forward and second ruck IMO and as such I worry about where he will fit in with Hogan, Clark, Dawes and at times Howe and Watts forward, so while I think he will have a decent AFL career, I fear that it won't be with us.

I want an explanation as to why Magner was not upgraded and played last week, or this week.

cs,

hes writing up a 16 page explanation as we speak

it will be delivered in 2016

Can't see Fitzy playing CHB, but can see him having a decent career, hopefully with us.

He has had an interrupted preseason so has been left at Casey to get his match fitness up - I find it hard to believe either Gawn or Fitzy have the match fitness to play a full game as number 1 ruck due to their preseasons, so ATM it's Fitzy or Gawn, Gawn having played more games this year and has done well in the seniors, so Fitzy just needs to keep working and continuing to do well at Casey. From the Casey games I have seen, I thought his field kicking has been good, am nervous about his set shots but he has been accurate in the two games I have seen him play.

Fitzy is a forward and second ruck IMO and as such I worry about where he will fit in with Hogan, Clark, Dawes and at times Howe and Watts forward, so while I think he will have a decent AFL career, I fear that it won't be with us.

We could trade Hogan for pick 47 when his contract is up and make a spot for Fitz. Win-win for everybody!

I think Pedersen has the build and disposal. The short time he has spent in the backline he has shown glimpses that he is more than capable of making CHB his own.

He just seems more comfortable down there.

No to Fitzy down back.

He has shown more than enough to be in the firsts as a forward and can't get a crack. Mind boggling really.... (along with upgrading Magner)

If one of Jamar or Spencer were out of contract at the end of this season then it may have been a possability, but as both are contratced and Fitzy's out of contract I think the writting's on the wall.

He'll need some big games at Casey to get a game at senior level and then have a break out game quick to secure a new contract, but I can't see him with us next year.

I can however see another club taking a punt on him.

Why on earth would Spencer have yet another year on contract? Surely he's up at the end of this year?

Fitzpatrick is an interesting one but for me offers more going forward than Spencer. I quite like the sound of Jamar as our first ruck for now with Gawn developing and in all likelyhood Clarke becoming our second ruck/forward with Fitzpatrick also learning that role. Pedersen provides cover for that role as well. Plus replace Spencer with another developing ruck either on the main or preferably rookie list.

As for why Spencer is playing and Fitzy isn't I think that's a simple thing. Fitzy hasn't had a lot of footy after missing some matches and whilst he's been good at Casey so has Spencer. At the same time whilst Jamar is out they are trying to evaluate whether Spencer has made any improvement. I don't think he has. Also they are careful to not over expose Gawn in the ruck at AFL level (or Fitzy as well). A Gawn and Fitzpatrick combination looks good for the long term but coming up against big body AFL rucks I think could hurt them with the speed of the game as well. When Jamar comes back I think what you will see is a lot of pressure on Gawn from Fitzpatrick for that second ruck /forward spot. Concurrently Gawn will hopefully prove he can withstand time in the ruck and attempt to force Jamar out.

As for Fitzpatrick down back we could try him if we were out of options but to me Frawley, McDonald and Sellar provide 3 options for 2 spots with Garland/Dunn competing for 3rd tall (but both can play in one team). I think Sellar and McDonald offer enough as big body defenders and the extra height is really only a luxury if the player is good enough as Carlisle is and Thompson might be.

Frawley is contracted for next year and we should focus on fixing our club and getting him reinvested over listening to rumours that are most like BS.

Edited by the master
  • Like 1

He has shown more than enough to be in the firsts as a forward and can't get a crack. Mind boggling really.... (along with upgrading Magner)

He has only played 3 games so far this year and while I have been impressed with what I have seen and was hoping he would play last week, I can understand and agree with not playing him as it was effectively a choice between him and Max. If later in the season Jamar is injured or out of form, I would love to see Max as the first ruck and Fitzy as his back up playing forward.

I dont like the idea of following trends in the AFL. yes lots of teams have tall CHB's at the moment, but that doesnt mean we should select people there based on height!

Fitzy is a key forward (in my eyes) that is tall enough to go into the ruck for patches. Thats how i'd like us to play him. I see him as long term insurance for Mitch Clark

Gawn is being played in this role currently as i assume eveyone is a bit nervous about playing him (and his knees!) for an entire game where he spend the majority of it rucking. Long term he will take Jamars role

Spencer is a ruckman, and although he is no world beater he has the strength and durability to play an entire game in there. He's our back up to Jamar who seems to be the FD's 1st choice for someone that can compete in the ruck for an entire game. I dont see him being on the list long term, but will stay there until Jamar retires or Gawn proves himself as a capable 1st ruck

In the short term, whilst Jamar is injured, i see that once Gawn shows he is match fit enoug hto play a full game in the ruck, then Spencer goes out and Fitzy will come in to play the role gawn is currently playing. If Jamar comes back from injury over the next little while then i'm guesssing they'll keep Gawn there for a bit longer playing in the forward role.

Long term i think the forward line has room for only 3 talls + resting ruck.

In west coast eagles circa 2011 terms i could see Hogan, Dawes & Clark, being as potent as Kennedy, Darling and Lynch, and and Gawn and Fitzy being used like Cox and Nick Nat

Pederson & Sellar may be best to find roles in the back 1/2 of the side!

DemonWA you just agreed with everything in my post! I love it! Some sensibility!

Except for what you said at the end. I think you are wrong to see us fitting 3 talls and 2 rucks.

Cox, niknat and darling are all freaks for there size athletically. The other 2 forwards aren't slow either.

I think we will have one ruck and one of Dawes, Hogan or Clark will ruck as well. Which should be Clark. If there's an injury that's where a Fitzy or Pedersen come in.

I'd leave Sellar in the backline group. I think the only reason he snuck forward was due to injuries to Dawes, Clark, Gawn and Fitzpatrick at the start of the year. And of course Hogans lack of availability

Edited by the master

I would've thought with Mitch out, Fitzy could be given a solid 5-6 games deep in the square. One or two games will be useless for his development. If he's to be kept he needs a decent run of games. Dawes, Gawn and Fitzy: might straighten us up.

• Like 1

I would've thought with Mitch out, Fitzy could be given a solid 5-6 games deep in the square. One or two games will be useless for his development. If he's to be kept he needs a decent run of games. Dawes, Gawn and Fitzy: might straighten us up.

Then everyone can kick over all their heads. With the quality of ball coming in we need 3 metre tall forwards.