Reason why an experienced proven coach would take the Melbourne job

What

Who would want to coach Melbourne? I see that question asked a lot in the media and on footy forums

Well here are a few reasons why -

1) Any coach that can drag us out of this hole will go down as one of the all time greats, possibly the greatest

2) Peter Jackson is a respected CEO and a smart operator and will give the football department a serous tidy up and get us looking and functioning professionally

3) Our list isn't anywhere near as bad as our current predicament suggests

4) We are likely to land a Priority Pick in 2014, which in the right hands would be pure gold and we may go in with picks 2 and 3

5) Our drafting history and player development is irrelevant to the new coach, and he gets to do things his way

6) Jesse Hogan looks special and will be ready to go as a ready made power forward in round 1, 2014

7) The untapped potential and ability of Jack Watts and Jack Trengove. Under the right coach these two guys would be stars already.

8) Knowing that the MFC will have a lot of salary cap available for free agency, and backing yourself in to land a gun player or two

Maybe you guys can add some more.

• Like 6

We are already at rock bottom. A coach only has to make us competitive to be a hero with the fans at the moment. And even a failure would be more of an indictment on the club, and not so much on the coach himself.

• Like 3

I think the talent is there, the structure and development systems aren't, a paul roos walks through the door, shuffles things the right way and gets us out of the hole we are in and he goes down as the greatest coach of all time.

what we need is to sell belief to the players, so we need to pay whatever it takes to get an experienced coach who can do that and help them realise their full potential

just an example

HF:Blease Clark Watts

F: Howe Hogan Dawes

That in my opinion stacks up in terms of personal and attributes with any other team in the comp right now, in 3-4 years it'll be significantly better again, and we have some mids bursting with talent and our defence is reasonable but under too much heat.

(Note, this wouldn't happen overnight, whoever we hire will need time, i am just not convinced Neeld has enough belief from the players to do this job )

• Like 1

Point 3. List isn't as bad as it's performing. We have MIsson and the facilities to build a list.

A lot of the culling has already happened. A priority pick would be a great help but I don't have any evidence we'll get one. We need 5. We need ready made midfielders not more kids. We have the money but someone like Roosy might get some over the line.

what we need is to sell belief to the players, so we need to pay whatever it takes to get an experienced coach who can do that and help them realise their full potential

Despite HH putting up a rather compelling list of reasons, I'm still of the opinion that Neeld should be given until at least the end of the year to complete his rebuild (I'm interested to see what he does with the midfield)... however, if we were to go down the route of taking on an experienced coach in the near future, then assuming we have a list of quality coaches, rather than throwing money at them, I would be more inclined to go for the one asking the least amount of dollars... at least that will be a good indicator of their true motive for taking on the job.

We may need a good psychologist to help repair the confidence of this list.

If we show no fight after what Chris Dawes has written this week against 9thmond then Neeld should walk for his own health & pride.

To get this list back to firing is an enormous task, but far from impossible.

We need the best of the best.

Last night i watched the '88 First Semi against the Filth. A packed MCG a low scoring tough final.

We are not dead yet, but no more Rookie Coaches please.

1) Because and income is better than no income

2) A coaching pay cheque is bigger than the pension cheque

3) They have nothing better to do

The question is how long do we allow a coach to re-build a list, Bailey had 3 years, Neeld will get 1 year, You can't count the first year as coach because they basically get want we have with a few draft picks and trades. Second year its your list that you are shaping. I also think Sylvia, Watts and Frawley will not be playing at the MFC next year.

Apart from many of the issues stated above one thing I would like to see is for the club to train at least some time on the MCG. Who ever heard of a successful club that was denied the option to train on its home ground where they play the majority of its matches. One reason it is called a home ground advantage. What ever week kneed mob allowed this to happen without so much as a whimper.....It would help the pysch of the players IMO

Edited by Wadda We Sing

Who would want to coach Melbourne? I see that question asked a lot in the media and on footy forums

1) Any coach that can drag us out of this hole will go down as one of the all time greats, possibly the greatest

2) Peter Jackson is a respected CEO and a smart operator and will give the football department a serous tidy up and get us looking and functioning professionally

3) Our list isnt anywhere near as bad as our current predicament suggests

4) We are likely to land a Priority Pick in 2014, which in the right hands would be pure gold and we may go in with picks 2 and 3

5) Our drafting history and player development is irrelevant to the new coach, and he gets to do things his way

6) Jesse Hogan looks special and will be ready to go as a ready made power forward in round 1, 2014

7) The untapped potential and ability of Jack Watts and JackTrengove. Under the right coach these two guys would be stars already.

8) Knowing that the MFC will have a lot of salary cap available for free agency, and backing yourself in to land a gun player or two

answer to your question who do you want to coach melbourne , simple until 2014 mark neeld.

your right our list isnt as bad as people think

yes draft picks and a free agent will help him next year,

at least hes changing the attitude to what happened with recent draft choices

watts and trengrove might be stars elsewhere? maybe. but remember thier treatment and team positions were compromised because of the lack balance and experience around them. thats why neeld has been told to protect the emerging players so they dont get tainted with the same exposure of watts trenners and grimes.

be patient this is a REBUILD

• Like 2

everyone is so doom and gloom, and fair enough to be upset about some of our performances, but at the end of the day our list is not too bad.

we have a solid forward line, (when fully fit)

the backline will benefit from a more experienced midfield]

it is just our midfield, and at the end of the day you cant really pick up players who will play and carry a midfield, you need a depth of midfield performers around the 100 game mark, with 3-4 pre seasons, and we are not at that stage yet, but we will.

at the end of the day neeld will and should stay and will lead our list forward into greener pastures

• Like 1

The question is how long do we allow a coach to re-build a list, Bailey had 3 years, Neeld will get 1 year, You can't count the first year as coach because they basically get want we have with a few draft picks and trades. Second year its your list that you are shaping. I also think Sylvia, Watts and Frawley will not be playing at the MFC next year.

Not all three of them will go. wrong.

Watts, Sylvia and Frawley will not all go.

Maybe one of them will go...

The 211cm giant Max Gawn, he is so athletic and mobile for a big man. Hopefully after a full big preseason come November he is going to be our number 1 ruck in 2014.

A ruckmen who can kick goals, he is a big plus. He has shown heaps of promise this year but does not have the tank to play 4 qtrs in the ruck.

Sylvia and watts may both leave, Frawley will stay unless we get an offer we can't refuse, if he wants to leave to go to a winning team the draft wouldn't be an option because surely GWS would be all over him, Jamar is another i can't see being on the list next year with how well gawn is going.

Sylvia and watts may both leave, Frawley will stay unless we get an offer we can't refuse, if he wants to leave to go to a winning team the draft wouldn't be an option because surely GWS would be all over him, Jamar is another i can't see being on the list next year with how well gawn is going.

The appointment of a coach like Roos would save us from the walk out!

Neeld's management of Watts has been atrocious.

neeld was quoted before a game earlier this year< we all want jw to just go out there and get a kick and enjoy his footy>

in what way has he treated him badly

ask the senior players who hung him out to dry in his first 4 games what they were thinking

and what WALKOUT. names , numbers, and proof please

I think the biggest issue is Watts is a forward that's where he looks the best in my opinion and he isn't playing there give him a few weeks straight of wing/half forward and i reckon you'll see some really good form from him

neeld was quoted before a game earlier this year< we all want jw to just go out there and get a kick and enjoy his footy>

in what way has he treated him badly

ask the senior players who hung him out to dry in his first 4 games what they were thinking

and what WALKOUT. names , numbers, and proof please

Jazza, I don't have the time nor patients to go through this subject again. Fellow posters certainly don't want a rehash of previous posts. Please refer to my posts in "Time to go Mark Neeld". All your questions plus the source is spelt out in this thread.

Why the f*&k would anyone want to be involved with this club??

Seriously, if I were a potential board member, CEO or coach I would laugh and walk the other way... we act like Peter Jackson actually wants to stay with this club, we act like experienced coaches are abundent and if they are they want something to do with the club, we act like we can axe a coach or a player, pay off their contract, and dont worry guys we will just throw millions at another, we act like axing will solve all our issues, all we do is complain about past events which we cannot change - move on, we complain about how the club settles on tanking, but forget at the end of the day it meant we were found not guilty, was cheaper, and we secured our draft picks - which such as Viney have been our best players, but what pisses me off the most is that we elect a coach who wants to change the culture of the club so we don't continue to be the worst team in the AFL like we have since the past 6 years, and then after 18 months call to axe him over short-term results.

The culture of the club and players is toxic, the culture of the supporters is terrible and short-term orientated, the precedent of how people who have tried to change it have been treated is poor, the players are not only talentless but worse effortless, and the media loves to have a dig at us... why would you jump on board a sinking ship? Haha and we act like people want something to do with this club...

Edited by PJ_12345

Why the f*&k would anyone want to be involved with this club??

Seriously, if I were a potential board member, CEO or coach I would laugh and walk the other way... we act like Peter Jackson actually wants to stay with this club, we act like experienced coaches are abundent and if they are they want something to do with the club, we act like we can axe a coach or a player, pay off their contract, and dont worry guys we will just throw millions at another, we act like axing will solve all our issues, all we do is complain about past events which we cannot change - move on, we complain about how the club settles on tanking, but forget at the end of the day it meant we were found not guilty, was cheaper, and we secured our draft picks - which such as Viney have been our best players, but what pisses me off the most is that we elect a coach who wants to change the culture of the club so we don't continue to be the worst team in the AFL like we have since the past 6 years, and then after 18 months call to axe him over short-term results.

The culture of the club and players is toxic, the culture of the supporters is terrible and short-term orientated, the precedent of how people who have tried to change it have been treated is poor, the players are not only talentless but worse effortless, and the media loves to have a dig at us... why would you jump on board a sinking ship? Haha and we act like people want something to do with this club...

PJ you are right, except i do not think Neeld has the experience to pull it off.

If he was the man for the job then we would have stopped plummetting in free fall after 20 months.

We would have SEEN improvement, not just heard about it.

PJ you are right, except i do not think Neeld has the experience to pull it off.

If he was the man for the job then we would have stopped plummetting in free fall after 20 months.

We would have SEEN improvement, not just heard about it.

Fair call WYL.

For me I see the culling of players like Morton, Gysberts, Cook, Bennel ect as improvement.

3) Our list isn't anywhere near as bad as our current predicament suggests

7) The untapped potential and ability of Jack Watts and Jack Trengove. Under the right coach these two guys would be stars already.

All good reasons for someone to take on the job.

The main problem is that the best candidates are already currently coaching at the better clubs and unlikely to walk.

I have my reservations about Roos should the job become available because I'm unsure as to whether he has the right attitude to take on the Melbourne Football Club. I'm not even sure if he has a hard enough edge to take us where we want to go after a few years out in comfortable retirement with his two mates on the couch.

Blokes like Eade and Ayres don't appeal as being quite right. So who's left?

All your questions plus the source is spelt out in this thread.

You have one source. Strange that it hasn't been corroborated anywhere else - in all the "what's wrong with Melbourne" articles, even in the most fanciful, this is a flag that no-one (else) has run up the flagpole, even by the most shoot-from-the-hip commentators.

You have one source. Strange that it hasn't been corroborated anywhere else - in all the "what's wrong with Melbourne" articles, even in the most fanciful, this is a flag that no-one (else) has run up the flagpole, even by the most shoot-from-the-hip commentators.

Didn't you know that Walter Mit...err, GNF, has two sources - a player manager AND a board member. The player manager has told him that Watts has received interest from Carlton and that Frawley and a number other others are set to go in a mass walk out (unless I missed them, no other names were mentioned, funnily enough - despite him saying he has provided names in other threads)... the board member told him that Roos is talking to the club about coaching next year... this despite the fact that he has come out and categorically stated he is not interested in coaching at all next year and certainly not interested in coaching Melbourne in any way, shape or form in the short term; but of course GNF will tell you that this is a "professional lie" because Neeld is currently under contract.