POST MATCH DISCUSSION

Demonland

Another big game for Neeld next week against the Gold Coast.

Why is that FD? Every game for Neeld should be a BIG game.

I am sick to death of these cheap games against gws and gc being must wins.

Would be nice to win against other teams which is why ALL games should be a big game for Neeld.

• Like 1

Yep it is a hard ask to keep my kids interested in melbourne. Hell I find it hard to keep interest. I sign myself and my kids up every year and won't stop no matter what but I gotta be honest I have gone from anger to sadness and now to nothing. I'm very bored of the club at the moment.

Same here, my young fella (7 yr old) doesn't want to watch Melbourne anymore because he says" it is boring we never kick any goals" we are losing a truck load of next generation supporters.

Would be nice to win against other teams which is why ALL games should be a big game for Neeld.

Last yr in my eyes we one 1 game and that was against Essendon, wins against the two new teams stand for nothing.

• Like 1

Ok so difficult to really say exactly what today was. It was another belting but for the effort we put in the reward was very minimal.

The first quarter I actually think we matched them physically but then stuffed it up at the critical moment. Soft turnovers have them easy goals and really flattered them.

Second quarter apart from the start we were better with most things and it was again lapses that hurt us. We won the quartet but should've won it by more. The common theme with the two quarters was I think if we had a forward line we would've been better.

Third quarter followed same old same old. We were just not switched on with a lot of things, although we still were in and under, we definitely let it slip. We did contain it a little.

Fourth quartet was similar to the 3rd. No doubt hey gave up more though.

Positives:

Players contested

Good shut down on Judd

M Jones

Kent

Negatives:

Skills (what skills)

Grimes (FFS)

Goalless first quarter

Trengove (now our sole captain and IMO WOG today)

Yes, but in my opinion he can afford a loss to Carlton, but a loss to an expansion side would just about be the end of him.

Next week isn't any more of a must win for the MFC than any other game, but for Neeld I think it is.

Yes, but in my opinion he can afford a loss to Carlton, but a loss to an expansion side would just about be the end of him.

Next week isn't any more of a must win for the MFC than any other game, but for Neeld I think it is.

Fair enough but we cant keep winning only against the expansion clubs even for Neelds sake.

I am over it tbh.

There were some positives in todays game, given the high number of very poor disposals that cost us goals as well as our own poor kicking. We should stop this BS about team rebuilding, and young list. The problem with melbourne is their intensity, poor decision making and their poor execution skill level. Our disposal efficiency is terrible, our tackling is terrible with our players just getting brushed aside. We play bruise free football.

- Positives, Garland, Dunn, Evans, jones boys though matt needs to pickup his disposal accuracy.

Positives:

* I can't say the boys squibbed it. There are still issues with them getting their hands on the footy but it wasn't you standard MFC game where the opposition charges into their fifty unimpeded. The opposition was miles better than us and we didn't give up.

* Colin Garland and Chip Frawley. Under siege all day, they held up as well as could be expected. Chip at least seemed to have gotten his football smarts back.

* The new kids: Matt Jones, Michael Evans, Dean Kent. They aren't the cream of the crop but they try. That's what I ask for.

Negatives:

* Run and spread is still non existent but improving a little. That isn't really saying much... Jonesy gets in for the contested ball but where the bloody hell are the outside runners? There is no trust.

* Skills are abysmal. There were chances today to stay in the game but horrible finishing plagued us.

* It's perhaps not his problem but something is up with Jack Trengrove. Perhaps he is injured but this must be killing the kid. CS is no longer at the club. The two Jacks gimmick can end and should end in my eyes.

Apart from the 1st quarter I thought we really competed. We just lacked the skill to excute passes under pressure.

Garland was really good today. Also thought Jones, Sylvia and M Jones tried hard.

What is wrong with Trengrove, was his worst game of career. Surely there is something not right with him.

I agree that at season end they will take the captaincy off the two Jacks and give them time to focus on their game.

Make Jones captain, its a no brainer.

I did like Kent backing himself and kicking a great goal.

Well to all the tipsters here who had us getting done by over 100 points... There's a slight positive.

Reality is we were second rate with disposal and spread but we are at least not laying down.

I can see us getting better down the track.

Well I gave them a chance.....I had a multi @16.5/1..... the pies win u 39pts/NQld 2 beat parramatta/ Banca Mo to win the Warnambool cup....all melbourne had to do was lose by less than 59.5pts!!!! Aaaaaaahhhhh.

I thought dunn did a great job on judd. Stick him on Ablett and see if he can do the same.

Tapscott just went in hard and thats all he knows

We have to keep playing the kids. Kent, jones, viney, Turlich and evans

grimes is a massive loss. Does Blease come in for him? Why is it that our good players get injured. Why are we cursed.

The sad thing is its come to being happy now with getting beaten by 60 points because its not 100. We were never going to beat Carlton. They are a top 8 should be top 4 side. Its like asking the bulldogs to beat collingwood or even Carlton. We arent there yet.

I would like to think we could beat the bulldogs and stkilda and I hope to god we win next week.

Edited by dees189227

Well done Dunn.. kept judd to only 13 disposals....

Surely they have to go back to when he was a tagger and had that great year.

Hes the perfect type for that.

I felt like the GWS game was a nothing game and now have the same feeling for the GC game.

Before the GWS game I said that I didn't realy care if we won because it would mean nothing - its not a real win and would do little for the group.

At the time many were happy that we won that but long term it might have been better to lose. That win could have been the only thing between Neeld and his job.

Maybe a fresh start - a clean slate was what we needed after that GWS game. A new Coach, CEO, midfield coach etc. I don't think Neeld has what it takes to be coach.

Really wish we could just bring in Ratten and make Neeld assistant coach. I know it's not all about the coach but I think the players need a fresh start - a clean slate.

• Like 1

Some amazingly bad skill errors, particularly in disposal. I like Tom Mc, but his kicking is just awful. Appears as if the preseason was all fitness work and no skill development.

He is a good type and has been given bigger jobs with the absense of Rivers now.

But yeah he needs to improve his skills for sure.

Any news on Grimes?

you wanna build a culture? Trengove needs a spell in the VFL either he's not fit or he is out of form, either means he shouldn't be in an AFL team others had to earn a spot in.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trengove isn't carrying an injury of some sort - he wasn't moving very freely today.

I find it endearing but amusing that some on this thread think we showed some positive signs today. That's like saying the Greek economy is improving...it is but it's still sh*t. Same applies to stability in Afghanistan and sadly thebMelbourne Football Club. Lets be real about it. We have no player who breaks lines, no player with speed apart from Blease who looks like the chooks my dad cut the heads off that ran around without knowing where they were going(because they didn't have a head which I see as a valid excuse that doesn't apply tomBlease), no player with physical presence, no player with an aura of intimidation, no player with great decision making, no player with plenty of time, no player with silky skills, no player with great talent, no player with a great (I love this term)"footy brain", no player that is hard-checking, one player who can mark aka Jeremy Howe, no player that can spoil, no player that provides outside spread.....I could go on forever and I defy you all to challenge what I have written. God knows how we did it but from the treasure trove of high draft picks over the last decade we have managed to recruit and develop NOTHING!

I am writing this with total dispassion which is sad. I love yelling at the TV and throwing the remote. It shows in my own tragic way that I care, that I expect more, that I have hope. I didn't utter a word as I watched an incompetent group of footballers play without spirit or, it would seem, a game plan.

Greece is a generation away from prosperity and I feel the same applies to the Dees. I'll still support them from afar but as many others have in these forums, I don't really care any more. We've been too poor for too long

So

I find it endearing but amusing that some on this thread think we showed some positive signs today. That's like saying the Greek economy is improving...it is but it's still sh*t. Same applies to stability in Afghanistan and sadly thebMelbourne Football Club. Lets be real about it. We have no player who breaks lines, no player with speed apart from Blease who looks like the chooks my dad cut the heads off that ran around without knowing where they were going(because they didn't have a head which I see as a valid excuse that doesn't apply tomBlease), no player with physical presence, no player with an aura of intimidation, no player with great decision making, no player with plenty of time, no player with silky skills, no player with great talent, no player with a great (I love this term)"footy brain", no player that is hard-checking, one player who can mark aka Jeremy Howe, no player that can spoil, no player that provides outside spread.....I could go on forever and I defy you all to challenge what I have written. God knows how we did it but from the treasure trove of high draft picks over the last decade we have managed to recruit and develop NOTHING!

I am writing this with total dispassion which is sad. I love yelling at the TV and throwing the remote. It shows in my own tragic way that I care, that I expect more, that I have hope. I didn't utter a word as I watched an incompetent group of footballers play without spirit or, it would seem, a game plan.

Greece is a generation away from prosperity and I feel the same applies to the Dees. I'll still support them from afar but as many others have in these forums, I don't really care any more. We've been too poor for too long

So I take take it you won't be watching the replay on foxfooty that's starting now DemonDave?

Well wtf did you expect? If you were expecting us to miraculously turn into Geelong in the way we play then you are a dreamer. I saw some very positive signs in our defence and some of our ball movement. We definitely lacked polish and lacked the extra quality needed but that will come. I don't know if you rememeber round 1 and 2 and to a lesser extent round 3 but there is definite improvement there. And also today I heard that this was the most inexperienced side Neeld has fielded. That shows me that some of these young kids are gonna be very good for this club.

It's like groundhog day on here every week, we lose and then people are calling for heads and saying it's the worst performance we've seen. We are a young a poor side at the moment maybe you should understand that and instead of bagging some of the young fellas get behind them because I can definitely see effort being shown from a number of players.

• Like 3

According the channel 7 we had our least experienced side ever under Neeld today, average games about 46, Carltank were 97 I believe.

On a very slow, very very slow, upwards curve from ground zero (186) I marked today as a slight upward blip.....not based on the score, but rather based on what goes in the comments column....a speculative as the bookies might say.

If we picked on form both Trenners and Viney would get dropped next week.....but I expect both to play. My god we missed a CHF....today proved Howe isn't a good one out goal sq option, which might shut up the commentators for a few weeks. Please give us Dawes and maybe Fitzy.

Even happy to see Pederson at CHB rather than T Mac for a few weeks.

I think today showed Neeld can pick a footballer.....having the time to put into it I'm very happy with Kent, Viney, M Jones, Terlich, and at Port yesterday was very pleased with Toumpas and Clisby.

Toumpas has time....skills and vision....at VFL level and SANFL level as an 18 year old.....it's only a matter of time.....not that far away.

Big week next week.....let's win and go on from there. go Dees

• Like 6

I believe strongly what is occuring now is the result of our drafting.

Years of failed picks.

So now we have this massive gap, Where we should have Morton, Pettard, Jurrah, Wonameri, Gysberts etc. At the top of their game. The list of bad players is as long as my arm. Its only now that we have started recruiting to try and turn around those missed years.

If those named and others were still here and playing well, Then we wouldnt need the Pedersons, Rodan, Byrnes etc.

Then players like McDonald, Viney, Kent, Evans, M Jones etc, Could be learning their game in the VFL and when ready to step in cause they truely won their spot, then they are playing well from the outset.

The ship was well and truely sinking before Neeld took over and he knew it.

Thats why he was desparate to get Clarke to the club in his first year and Dawes last year.

Thats why he wanted Wellingham.

We lacked experience for the young kids coming in so he got Byrnes and Rodan for that reason only.

He has then selected Viney and Toumpas and traded off picks for Hogan, whom we all cant wait to start cause of his talent.

He has picked M Jones, Terlich, whom have shown enough in there first season.

So unfortunately we are treading water at the moment and trying to improve the list he inherited and trading out the ones whom wont be part of the future and trying to get instant talent in the side.

I mean what can the man do or any coach do with the Melbourne list at the moment ?

All you can do is pick ur best players and back in the youngsters like McDonald, Evans, Terlich and hope they develop into good players.

Edited by Deano74
  • Like 2

Only one player had over 20 disposals: Matt Jones.

Ten players had less than 10 disposals: Byrnes, Bail, Viney, Spencer, Strauss, Trengove, Gawn, Howe, Grimes and Kent. Grimes is obviously excused, and I'll cut Kent some slack because he's clearly not quite up to spec yet, but the rest of those players were utterly sheet. I doubt Howe and Bail have played worse games since they came in to the side, Strauss just isn't any good, and what-oh-what the hell is wrong with Jack Trengove?

Just way too many passengers today.

Edited by Nasher
  • Like 4