Some light at the end of the tunnel

Ted Lasso

Relax we've got this...

All we need is mids. Get a couple of free agent NQR's. Throw money at a gun if (when) Sylvia moves on. Trade Watts (we don't need him with Clark Dawes and Hogan) and hope to whatever god you believe in that Gawn stays fit

You didn't hear that from me, did you?

Not unless you're trans-gender (with no offence to that delicate petal Bitter Butt) and an ex Aus PM.

Edit: because Bitter seems to have once been a school teacher.

Edited by Moonshadow

Not unless you're trans-gender (with no offence to that delicate petal Bitter Butt) and an ex Aus PM.

Edit: because Bitter seems to have once been a school teacher.

(2) I don't want to get too far off topic here Moon, and maybe I'm a bit slow, but I don't get the reference to the "ex Aus PM". Could you explain please?

How do you connect a Laptop to a TV to watch a DVD?

You buy a cord. I bought one today. I'm writing this on the TV screen. I'm watching downloaded Game Of Thrones tonight

• Like 1

(2) I don't want to get too far off topic here Moon, and maybe I'm a bit slow, but I don't get the reference to the "ex Aus PM". Could you explain please?

One of Paul Keating's great lines was when he told an opposition pollie (Hewson?) that he was all tip and no iceberg. I borrowed the line, but obviously didn't acknowledge the source.

On topic though, I wonder if Dal Santo might be interested in moving. I saw on the idiot box somewhere that he's supposed to be out of favour at the Aints. Would he be of value?

One of Paul Keating's great lines was when he told an opposition pollie (Hewson?) that he was all tip and no iceberg. I borrowed the line, but obviously didn't acknowledge the source.

On topic though, I wonder if Dal Santo might be interested in moving. I saw on the idiot box somewhere that he's supposed to be out of favour at the Aints. Would he be of value?

Dal Santo wouldn't bring leadership, but he knows where to go to get the ball. Unfortunately, a lot of it tends to be on the receiving end. An outside mid.

Still, he could be that second mid we need outside of an absolute gun A grade mid.

I can't see Dal Santo leaving the saints, unless it's to go to a team in a premiership window.

can't hurt to ask though

I think Dal is definately worth persuing.

Good player but has really struggled with a tag, 29 going on 30. If we were going after someone it would be Thomas for me, slow start to the season recovering from injury but he is a real gut runner with 'x' factor when fit and firing and we need that type of player. LeCras is another but as we are now I wouldn't like our chances.

• Like 1

Good player but has really struggled with a tag, 29 going on 30. If we were going after someone it would be Thomas for me, slow start to the season recovering from injury but he is a real gut runner with 'x' factor when fit and firing and we need that type of player. LeCras is another but as we are now I wouldn't like our chances.

This isn't based on anything but gut feel, but I reckon Thomas is the sort of bloke that will enjoy the Dees without giving the value he was asked for, He just strikes me a someone that needs a ego massage to get the best out of him or he'll cruise. I think we'd be the worst spot for that sort of fella.

• Like 1

I had one problem with that article:

I couldn't think of 3 stars playing for my team :(

• Like 1

Good thread. The first quarter against the lions was entertaining to watch - as the commentators noted. We hardly played any entertaining footy last year and if you count the last against GWS we strung 2 quarters in a row together where we moved the ball quickly, played on and were efficient up forward. Surely a positive.

We played with good energy in that fist quarter (and for much of the game to be honest) which for me is a positive as it indicates that perhaps a flame is flickering and that the last q against GWS wasn't just a panic induced aberration.

Yes they could have beaten us by more but they didn't so its silly to bang on as if it was a 10 goal loss. Easy to forget we missed some pretty gettable shots (eg Bail) and messed up some forward entries (eg Sylvia and Pederson). What's that saying about mothers and uncles?

I thought that given how easily they moved the ball from our defence through the middle for much of the last half I thought they did pretty well to still be in it half way through the last. They also didn't throw in the towel and played to the siren. Two more positives

Once inside 50 we were very efficient which has to be a positive.

Gawn, Howe at full forward and the goal from the boundary by Watts were all other positives form me.

We are likely to finish at least 14th on the ladder So we will have a top 3 pick at seasons end and may even get a priority pick (what beautiful irony that would be). Twisted positive, yes but we should be able to snag another good young mid in to help the Toump, Jones and Viney and who knows might be able to trade one in.

Binman - cop a tip, perhaps try to stop looking at things objectively. It doesn't appeal to the religious fanatics here - it simply inflames the zealots and results in pages of carp then being posted.

In this respect, many within the "anti Neeld/football department/MFC board/administration/Watts/Sylvia/Toumpas/Trengove/Dunn/rest of player group" squad here seem to have evolved into a quasi fanatical religious movement.

It appears to be led by Pastor Stuie, who seems to adhere to the stimulating formula that quantity kills off quality. In some respects, the formula works, because good threads quickly become un-followable and quality posts and debate are now being lost amidst the child-like "[censored] for tat" diatribe.

For me anyway, it's starting to kill the site. I have a job, a new born and a wife who's struggling with the new born - unfortunately I can't therefore log on 24 hours a day, and because of the volume of repetitive, tedious posts within each thread, it literally has become impossible to follow certain threads (ie, find the interesting posts within those threads), because all interesting topics are now moving faster than Cyclone Tracy due to the religious zeal element.

Re: the question of improvement. I have seen some good signs in recent weeks. I'm pretty confident the football department knows where the problem areas lie, ie, the midfield - in particular, clearances and the defensive structures and application. Our ball movement looks quite good/efficient. Gawn and Jamar are working much better, than Jamar alone in the first three weeks (which was a disaster). Evans, Terlich and Bail (but for some decision making) have been really good inclusions. Matt Jones appears to be a quality pick up.

Last weekend, I found it encouraging that, despite the inside 50 and scoring shot stats against us, we were still genuinely in the game in the fourth quarter. Sylvia's poster and Bail's poor decision making under pressure cruelled the momentum somewhat. With 10 mins to go, we should've been 13 points behind. At the Gabba. Can't remember the last time we were in that position up there.

Re: Neeld. I'm concerned that he lacks emotional intelligence. I think he understands (and has identified) what the problems with the list, the structures, the culture, the leadership group were/are - although I'm not sure he engenders empathy amongst the players in the way some of the great coaches can. His treatment of some of the senior players and his appointment of such a young Captain in JT has always concerned me. The dynamics of the sheds are subtle and must be respected.

Perhaps he's just not a natural people leader - but I definitely think he gets it all in a technical sense. Jury's out, but replacing him prematurely will kill the club. Might appease some of the religious fanatics here in the short term, but it could ultimately turn out to be a very stupid, knee jerk reaction to replace him so early. The blue print the football department has introduced is sound and, without doubt, should be followed at the moment.

Re: the next couple of months. I would've thought the message should be: be patient. Keep calm. Our list is in the bottom quartile in virtually every respect at the moment - it takes time, patience and adherence to a sensible plan to turn these things around.

Simply landing Mark Williams or Rodney Eade and an experienced midfielder won't suddenly turn it around. But seemingly that's too objective for some.

I'd very much like the club to announce a new contract for Sylvia and a contract extension for Frawley asap. Now, that would make me much happier. It would ease me as to the concerns I have about what's going on in the sheds at the moment.

• Like 7

Binman - cop a tip, perhaps try to stop looking at things objectively. It doesn't appeal to the religious fanatics here - it simply inflames the zealots and results in pages of carp then being posted.

In this respect, many within the "anti Neeld/football department/MFC board/administration/Watts/Sylvia/Toumpas/Trengove/Dunn/rest of player group" squad here seem to have evolved into a quasi fanatical religious movement.

It appears to be led by Pastor Stuie, who seems to adhere to the stimulating formula that quantity kills off quality. In some respects, the formula works, because good threads quickly become un-followable and quality posts and debate are now being lost amidst the child-like "[censored] for tat" diatribe.

For me anyway, it's starting to kill the site. I have a job, a new born and a wife who's struggling with the new born - unfortunately I can't therefore log on 24 hours a day, and because of the volume of repetitive, tedious posts within each thread, it literally has become impossible to follow certain threads (ie, find the interesting posts within those threads), because all interesting topics are now moving faster than Cyclone Tracy due to the religious zeal element.

Re: the question of improvement. I have seen some good signs in recent weeks. I'm pretty confident the football department knows where the problem areas lie, ie, the midfield - in particular, clearances and the defensive structures and application. Our ball movement looks quite good/efficient. Gawn and Jamar are working much better, than Jamar alone in the first three weeks (which was a disaster). Evans, Terlich and Bail (but for some decision making) have been really good inclusions. Matt Jones appears to be a quality pick up.

Last weekend, I found it encouraging that, despite the inside 50 and scoring shot stats against us, we were still genuinely in the game in the fourth quarter. Sylvia's poster and Bail's poor decision making under pressure cruelled the momentum somewhat. With 10 mins to go, we should've been 13 points behind. At the Gabba. Can't remember the last time we were in that position up there.

Re: Neeld. I'm concerned that he lacks emotional intelligence. I think he understands (and has identified) what the problems with the list, the structures, the culture, the leadership group were/are - although I'm not sure he engenders empathy amongst the players in the way some of the great coaches can. His treatment of some of the senior players and his appointment of such a young Captain in JT has always concerned me. The dynamics of the sheds are subtle and must be respected.

Perhaps he's just not a natural people leader - but I definitely think he gets it all in a technical sense. Jury's out, but replacing him prematurely will kill the club. Might appease some of the religious fanatics here in the short term, but it could ultimately turn out to be a very stupid, knee jerk reaction to replace him so early. The blue print the football department has introduced is sound and, without doubt, should be followed at the moment.

Re: the next couple of months. I would've thought the message should be: be patient. Keep calm. Our list is in the bottom quartile in virtually every respect at the moment - it takes time, patience and adherence to a sensible plan to turn these things around.

Simply landing Mark Williams or Rodney Eade and an experienced midfielder won't suddenly turn it around. But seemingly that's too objective for some.

I'd very much like the club to announce a new contract for Sylvia and a contract extension for Frawley asap. Now, that would make me much happier. It would ease me as to the concerns I have about what's going on in the sheds at the moment.

That's a great post mate.

The thing about Stuie... he and Range Rover argued ceaselessly, but maybe they aren't so different. Father and son perhaps? A star wars situation?

The contract extension for Sylvia in particular would be great for confidence around here and the club.

Great post Ron

The line i quoted is the area that causes so much emotion in us all as supporters/members of the MFC. Its totally demoralising that our list is so bad, yet we have had such a good run in drafts over the last 4-5 years. We have been patient since 2006! Unfortunatley the past FD and recruiters arent around any more so people take out all of their anger on Neeld, who was percevied to have been brought in post Bailey to take us up the ladder, not burn us to the ground and start again!

What you say is right though.

Our list is in the bottom quartile in virtually every respect at the moment - it takes time, patience and adherence to a sensible plan to turn these things around.

That's a great post mate.

The thing about Stuie... he and Range Rover argued ceaselessly, but maybe they aren't so different. Father and son perhaps? A star wars situation?

Yes a good post Ron.

What if Stuie and RR are not father and son but actually the same person..... scary thought.

Would be good to hear of Sylvia and Chip confirmed locked in for next 3 years. Port Ad did this with Boak and some others late last year and that seemed to really inject a bit of confidence and 'team' into the playing group there.

• Like 1

Great post buddy, there is a huge if your not with us you're wrong and we are going to completely ignore your opinion about this forum which is amusing,

I'm sure Neeld has his plans, and anyone who doesn't understand them ( good number of people ) seems to be anti Neeld, but as you said this is going to take time nomatter what we do, we aren't going to sign one free agent and then boom top 4 next year, but i think a port type rise is on the cards as our list isn't that bad and we are capable of kicking big scores

if we as much as break even out of the middle i would imagine we would be in most games for a long period because we are effective going forward

the big concern for me is our skills, i am hoping it's just confidence because alot have been good users at one point or another.

the structures and stuff should becoming more effective when the players actually have the fitness to play them :)

Frawley should be the priority, if he does go we should chase mitch brown hard because unfortunately i don't think Tom mcdonald is near ready to hold that post alone

Having said that i think we can convince chip

• Like 1

Great post buddy, there is a huge if your not with us you're wrong and we are going to completely ignore your opinion about this forum which is amusing,

I'm sure Neeld has his plans, and anyone who doesn't understand them ( good number of people ) seems to be anti Neeld, but as you said this is going to take time nomatter what we do, we aren't going to sign one free agent and then boom top 4 next year, but i think a port type rise is on the cards as our list isn't that bad and we are capable of kicking big scores

if we as much as break even out of the middle i would imagine we would be in most games for a long period because we are effective going forward

the big concern for me is our skills, i am hoping it's just confidence because alot have been good users at one point or another.

the structures and stuff should becoming more effective when the players actually have the fitness to play them :)

Frawley should be the priority, if he does go we should chase mitch brown hard because unfortunately i don't think Tom mcdonald is near ready to hold that post alone

Ah sanity prevails. I was getting worried there for a while.

• Like 1

My light at the end of this long tunnel, would have to be Gawn, Evans, Terlich and M.Jones - they have played little to no games over the last two years and are already having an impact, imagine how confident they'll be once they've clocked up 50+.

• Like 2

My light at the end of this long tunnel, would have to be Gawn, Evans, Terlich and M.Jones - they have played little to no games over the last two years and are already having an impact, imagine how confident they'll be once they've clocked up 50+.

Got a feeling Terlich might play more in the middle once he gets a bigger fitness base, he is very hard at the ball, strong body and has good skills, only real weakness is his decision making isn't always great but that will come with more games, expect him to be a good player for us for a long time.

• Like 1

One question I have is, 'how come Port have the fitness to fight back and win games with only one pre season under their new fitness coach'?

...and of course the follow up is 'how come we need 3 years'?

This is not a judgement call, I'm interested in opinions on this. Misson has a good reputation so what is the difference here, Port seem to have a young list too so this can't be the reason, surely their fitness base couldn't have been that much more advanced than ours, Bailey came out of the Port system.

What gives?

• Like 1