Demon Loyalty and Woosha's Interview circa 2011

Lifelong Demon

I have been reading a lot about the Demons lately - as most of us probably are - and have been trying to formulate my own unbiased opinion about which way the club is headed: up or down.

Personally I think we are headed up - and have come a long way - it's just that we started from so far down, to the rest of the world we still look disorganised, uncontrolled, demotivated and below standard...

But in the back of my head I recall an interview with Woosha about the rise of the West Coast in 2011. (For some background information, West Coast's end of season positions since 2006 have been 1st, 3rd, 15th, 11th, 16th, 4th, 5th.)

I cannot remember where I saw the interview, and if anyone can find it that would be great, but I think it was probably during On The Couch or something similar because I recall hearing the question as well as the answer (why can't reporters be mic'd at press conferences???)...

The question went along the lines of: "For the last three years you have been pretty terrible - last year you even won the wooden spoon. Now you are in the top four. What have you done different? What changes have you made?"

The answer: "Nothing. We have been working on this training plan and gameplan for a few years, and the players have finally caught up with how we want them to play."

I think this is exactly where the Demons are at. 12 goals in one quarter is an accomplishment - even considering the opposition. In our 150+ year history, this surely isn't the first new team we have played against.

A lot of people seem to be sick of the rebuild of the rebuild of the rebuild. I concur. But not for the same reasons.I don't see this as a rebuild at all. Quite simply, its a build.

Build our club; build our momentum; build our supporter base; build our profitability; build our professionalism; build our player list. But build it right. Stuff the media - it's their job to whinge and whine - but be nice to them, they cant help it, they are like politicians - all about "What's in it for me?" The attitude you get from selfish people that have no concept of bonding teamwork. And stuff the critics. They are probably all Collingwood supporters anyway and who wants to listen to them?

I have been supporting the Demons for as long as I can remember. My father is English and supports Liverpool and my mother can recognise the Demons Guernsey and knows if we are doing well or not, so not so sure how I got this passionate for them - but the one thing that being a Demons supporter has absolutely taught me is loyalty.

Whether we win 1 game in a year, or every game in a year, I will still wear my Demons guernseys/shirts/jumpers/sweaters at every opportunity and I will always look forward to the next match.

I do hope that the Demons win a premiership* - hell, I hope they win them all - but just like I wouldn't kick my kids out for underperforming, I will never turn my back on the Demons because I believe that, just like Neeld, Craigy and the entire club keeps saying, the players are doing what is required of them and just like Woosha said, at some point everything will fall into place, and the Demons will return to the top of the ladder where they will see the success we are all waiting for.

* I would prefer the Demons premiership winning run to wait until I can afford annual trips down from Brisbane to the MCG with my family of five... but understand if they aren't willing to wait that long.

• Like 21

i'll get in first with 'weve heard it all before'

that's not being deliberately negative, that's just the facts of the matter. In 2010 we matched the premiers twice, finished on 8.5 wins and the future looked very rosy with a whole stable of supposed future stars. People, including the media, were talking seriously about multiple premierships. What happened? We failed spectacularly.

• Like 3

The problem with what the OP is saying though is that generally in a build, or even a rebuild, you're meant go be going up not down.

Last year was clearly meant to be our demolition year and new foundations should be in place, but SO FAR we look worse than last year.

It seems Neeld is good at, and quite enjoys, the demolition part but it's yet to be seen if he has any clues about the building.

The problem with what the OP is saying though is that generally in a build, or even a rebuild, you're meant go be going up not down.

Last year was clearly meant to be our demolition year and new foundations should be in place, but SO FAR we look worse than last year.

It seems Neeld is good at, and quite enjoys, the demolition part but it's yet to be seen if he has any clues about the building.

*Generally*, I would agree... But even the Eagles went from 11th to 16th before they went to 4th. And yes, "so far" you might think we look worse than last year, but the light at the end of the tunnel is no longer switched off due to financial difficulties and I think that some 'supporters'' are going to be so busy complaining about everything that they won't enjoy the ride.

It is always darkest before the dawn...

*Generally*, I would agree... But even the Eagles went from 11th to 16th before they went to 4th. And yes, "so far" you might think we look worse than last year, but the light at the end of the tunnel is no longer switched off due to financial difficulties and I think that some 'supporters'' are going to be so busy complaining about everything that they won't enjoy the ride.

It is always darkest before the dawn...

It's generally considered though that West Coast may have been considerably better than that 16th position would suggest... hint hint... But we're actually trying to win, which makes the two situations a bit incomparable.

• Like 2

Interesting that the coach of a team finishing as low as 15th and 16th was under no internal pressure at all re his coaching future . I think we can all work that one out !

Interesting that the coach of a team finishing as low as 15th and 16th was under no internal pressure at all re his coaching future . I think we can all work that one out !

I'm not 100% sure he wasn't under internal pressure...

"West Coast Eagles coach John Worsfold has put the Eagles' phenomenal improvement in the past two years into perspective - comparing his wooden spoon playing group of 2010 to current cellar dwellers Greater Western Sydney and the Gold Coast.

On Sunday in a western derby clash against Fremantle, Worsfold will pass Mick Malthouse as the Eagles' longest-serving coach, notching his 244th game in charge.

West Coast enters the match on top of the ladder, a far cry from the end of 2010, when the Eagles were rooted to the bottom of the table and Worsfold was considered a prime candidate for the sack.

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-news/woosha-says-we-were-like-gws-20120521-1yzv8.html#ixzz2Ra2pADHP"

"For the two years I have been committing my sporting thoughts to this site, John Worsfold has been telling everyone who will listen that his team are on course for glory.

Today is the last time I will have the privilege of sharing my thoughts with you.

And yesterday's abominable result against the worst team in the competition meant Worsfold had to finally admit he had also lost the right to maintain that message to Eagles fans and those beyond.

The inconvenient truth which has been building in this most miserable of seasons for the Eagles came to a head at the MCG.

Advertisement

The players are not developing as Worsfold told us they would. The coaching strategies are also falling down.

And perhaps most worrying of all, the coach and his team also seem to be in a funk.

After getting their initial match-up on Jack Riewoldt wrong yesterday, it then took the Eagles brains trust much too long to react to his phenomenal first term.

By the time the cavalry arrived, the Eagles were four goals down, and the yellow and black players were Tigers once more.

His younger troops are also struggling, chief among them Nic Naitanui.

In my time as sports editor of WAtoday, Naitanui has been the single most exciting development in WA football.

But his performance yesterday screamed of a young man in need of a break, physically and mentally.

Worsfold is one of the most impressive, driven, dedicated and committed individuals you are ever likely to meet.

And unlike his original coaching mentor, Mick Malthouse, and other senior coaches in the AFL, he never feels the urge to belittle those who are trying to deliver his message to the wider public.

But that message has been wearing thinner by the week, even to the yellow and blue army wanting to hear it.

I have sometimes struggled to come up with new ideas when trying to find something interesting to say about familiar themes every week.

And it could be Worsfold, after 200 games in charge, is also finding his message harder and harder to deliver.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/blogs/western-eyes/worsfold-faces-up-to-an-inconvenient-truth-20100614-y7e8.html#ixzz2Ra3VGHxE"

These are just two of the articles Google turned up after a quick search.

Are we meant to back a coach that is happy 'to do the best thing for the football club' but forgets to control or develop his players, but give up on the next one dealing with the rot and returning the club to its elite history?

Remembering of course that Worsfold oversaw a three-year program of systematically tanking for draft picks.

(2009 was derailed in about round 17 when an imploding Essendon simply could not be lost to, after which West Coast amazingly won three more of their last five games)

Not that I am bitter that earlier in the year the Eagles had thrown games against the Demon's and Tigers, creating the scenario of the Jordan McMahon trophy.

All that tells me is that Eagles fans and the media in the West are the most disloyal in the competition. I'm from W.A. and I've never seen supporters jump ship as much as when the eagles start losing. And they have had more recent success than almost anyone. Their supporters are a joke.

All that tells me is that Eagles fans and the media in the West are the most disloyal in the competition. I'm from W.A. and I've never seen supporters jump ship as much as when the eagles start losing. And they have had more recent success than almost anyone. Their supporters are a joke.

Couldn't agree more, front runners & fair weather supporters of the highest order

On the contrary.

Worsfold was under intense media scrutiny for the whole season. Hell, even the supporters were thinking he'd run his race and wanted a new head coach.

West Coast definitely had a plan in 2010 that wasn't all about winning and it was almost certainly a strategy that included high draft picks.

They managed it well and it's paying dividends. We on the other hand.....

I was simply alluding to Club sanctioned tanking .

On the contrary.

Worsfold was under intense media scrutiny for the whole season. Hell, even the supporters were thinking he'd run his race and wanted a new head coach.

West Coast definitely had a plan in 2010 that wasn't all about winning and it was almost certainly a strategy that included high draft picks.

They managed it well and it's paying dividends. We on the other hand.....

• Like 1

The Eagles went through internal turmoil, bad injuries to good players and a short down time. They also had many a premiership, experienced player on their list.

The thing with a club like the Eagles is they simply don't stand for mediocrity, and three years down the bottom is enough for them, no excuses.

We seem to justify poor performance with a rebuild, but it is only a rebuild if you actually, you know, rebuild. Which Melbourne hasn't. It has regressed spectacularly.

i'll get in first with 'weve heard it all before'

that's not being deliberately negative, that's just the facts of the matter. In 2010 we matched the premiers twice, finished on 8.5 wins and the future looked very rosy with a whole stable of supposed future stars. People, including the media, were talking seriously about multiple premierships. What happened? We failed spectacularly.

Yes but I actually think we are going about things more to build a team for finals footy.

We have to stick with this defensive game. Whover coaches us into the future. I like it and would like to see neeld coach the year out before deciding on the future. Let him have a chance with a side that's fit with Clark and Dawes up forward and a functioning midfield not relying on newbies all the time.

I will measure him on his development of blokes like Strauss. Tapscott, gawn, taggert and blease. The latter especially. All capable of becoming good afl players.

Its all about effort and sdesire, Running, chasing tackling and pressure.

We are hopeless at it. YOu don't need elite skills for that.

And as a club we accept bulltush copout stuff like " we are inexperienced" or "other teams have more 100 game players than us". I HATE those excuses. Because thats what they are. You didn't hear Ess say that when Knights was there. You didn't hear Woosha say it when they won the spoon. You didn't ear Clarkson say it when they were terrible.

We wallow in mediocrity and accept it. I for one HATE it..

• Like 1

There is a massive difference between west coast and us, for one last year west coast would of had a dozen,or so premiership players and a little less all australian players. There drafting and trading hasnt missed, to get darling for late twenties pick, gaff, shuey and even masten add in nicnat, kennedy these are pretty good players. We just got it so wrong, but i do agree to me we are starting to get things right. All we need is a big dose of confidence and we are on the right track.