A slow death of the MFC

Clucka

Today's insipid soft non inspiring effort to me heralds the start of a slow death of our club. Surely after all we have been through then today would have been our day of reckoning? We failed big time!

It started way back in the 60's when Barassi left and Smith was sacked and the club lived in the past (sounds familiar) with no clear vision for the future.

• Like 3

Never adapted to the trend towards professionalism in the '60's when our rivals starting purchasing premierships with moneyballs and unheralded TV coverage wiped the feats and memories of our pre-media days. What idiot condoned Barassi's clearance for 18,000 quid, anyway. That's right, Norm Smith. Just to think, in the year of our last flag we had 12 flags from 26 finals appearances and had won 10 flags in the preceding 25 years, only to be followed by decades of abject surrender. I have travelled to the G every decade since those times and it's the same old, same old. Seen all our hopes come and fade, season by season. So many new brooms, so much crrrrrrrrappp on the tiles.

• Like 3

It's has far worse consequences these day.

In the days of social media where everyone is online and brand mean everything, the club has been irrelevant and garbage. The age of Facebook has not been kind to this club, and it will hurt it moving forward.

Many people don't understand this, but you can't go through sustained periods of failure anymore. You could in the 70s, but these days people will simply turn off.

The club needs to start performing. It's on the brink.

• Like 1

Melbourne Kangaroos training out of Arden st.

What are the odds?

If our board hires another dud coach, it would be a certainty.

I just hope we keep our cherished red and blue colors when playing home games at the MCG.

They can have the blue and white for away games, we play in white-away jumpers anyway.

• Like 1

Melbourne Kangaroos training out of Arden st.

What are the odds?

If our board hires another dud coach, it would be a certainty.

I just hope we keep our cherished red and blue colors when playing home games at the MCG.

They can have the blue and white for away games, we play in white-away jumpers anyway.

THere is absolutely no doubt that some kind of 'Melbourne United' will be cooked up in the not too distant future, with about five games on the G, and the rest of the home games on some kind of boutique stadium out of Princes Park or The Dockland Demons.

THere is absolutely no doubt that some kind of 'Melbourne United' will be cooked up in the not too distant future, with about five games on the G, and the rest of the home games on some kind of boutique stadium out of Princes Park or The Dockland Demons.

Don't know about that, if we teamed up with Kangaroos, we would have a good coach 'Scott', and a ripper team. We would win a premiership rather quickly and have memberships of around 50,000. We would instantly become one of the largest clubs in the land and guarantee our existence at the MCG with a home at Arden St.

Kangaroos love the MCG and are not that attached to their 'North Melbourne' name. Melbourne were originally known as the Fuscias and the 'Demons' brand is not really corporate friendly, nor child friendly. We need a home, more cash and we desperately need some spirit.

If I was not so attached to our colors and our theme song, I would say it is a perfect fit.

Edited by tonatopia
  • Like 1

Midfield not running hard enough or smart enough.

Backline disorganised and not talking to eachother.

Forward line too slow and too... absent from the forward line. (Fair apologies to Clark)

Interestingly, the backline kept on having their little cup-of-tea get togethers after every idiotic failure causing a goal.

Maybe they should talk more when it matters, rather than waiting until they are all in a nice little circle.

I'm pinning my hopes for a turnaround in performance on the inclusions - Trengove, Dawes, T. McDonald and anyone else who proves they will have a serious crack at it.

In the end, this kind of insipid effort is why we stocked up on mature-age VFL players who appreciate their opportunity.

It's the same old problems, the same old hopes. Either Neeld turns things around, or I will have to step in and take over myself. At least I won't snipe from the shadows.

I would love to know what Schwab and McLardy think the MFC will look like in 10-20 years time?

The Ox said on SEN tonight, "today was the worst performance from the MFC since 2003". Did any of us think that 10 years later we'd be in exact same place?

the early 70s was much worse than now

That's not strictly true. 1971 we were top of the ladder or thereabouts for half a season, finished mid-table. Early 70's had some gutsy teams, better than their ladder position. 1976 we should have made the finals, playing like '87. Late 70's some grunt with Big Carl. The Dennis Jones period around 1977-8 was the low point.

Firstly id like to say I am as passionate of a supporter than the rest of you but today watching the boys run around I couldn't help but feel that they just didn't care. The fact we struggled to find a loose man to kick too but they did it so easy. Only kicking 1 goal in the second half. after all these years of loosing I actually don't mind seeing the boys loose if I can walk away and say they had a dip.

Yesterday as the end for me. I know its round 1 but its about round 250 since we have seen the MFC play some serious football. I wont say im going to jump off then back on when we get some success, but I wont be going to a game or even giving too hoots when we loose next week by 100+ until I can read in the paper that the boys had a crack.

ive emailed the club this morning to get them to outline to me why I should not ask for the 5k I have donated to the club back. Wr have been fed hope and lies I feel. We have no future, we should hand back our licence.

I'm coming around to my mother's negativity that it's not if, but when.

As a club we are so lacking in so many areas that it truly beggars belief.

I don't think I'll follow any one club; I barely support the Dees these days, as I have little but contempt for our board, our coaches, an our players. I love footy as a game, but I certainly don't love the Dees.

Go Swans-Hawks-Cats-Lions!

If the Dees fold I will follow the Hawks. Always been second team

Oh great, so give the AFL and other clubs a reason to write us off, "look guys, we could score a few extra supporters here!". I would walk from the game and never return. To me what you are saying is like replacing family.

• Like 1

I've had people (family members, friends) with legitimate concern for what I'll do when the club folds. For a lot of people without strong emotional attachment to the club it really is just a question of when.

Yesterday in the last quarter was the first time I really thought it's going to happen. We've already had 3 rebuilds, a supporter funded financial rescue lead by the only leader the clubs had for 15 years, and we bottomed out that many times that we seemingly keep finding new lows both on and off the field.

The future is looking very dark.

As I have posted elsewhere, there are definite parallels between the position of the MFC 2013 - with Sydney 1980 and Fitzroy 1996. All the good administration, strong board, successful marketing etc... is all for nothing if the team can't play AFL standard footy.

Fitzroy had Roos, Pert, Rendell, Wilson, Quinlan etc... in the period leading up to their demise - but they could not pull it together.

Sydney had Round, Browning, the Morwoods - but could not pull it together.

I will not jump off Melbourne - ever.

But if we do not start to win, and become a successful game-day team I genuinely fear for our future.

• Like 2