NAB CUP 1: NORTH MELBOURNE AND RICHMOND

rpfc

In short, the game against North was really good IMO. But the Richmond game gave me tremors - I hope you're right in the observations you've made about it.

It won't surprise me if Richmond touch us up in the regular season - they're well ahead of us now in the midfield and they've recruited well to fill some deficiencies and build their ready-to-go depth, they could have a very good year I think. Nevertheless we're better than them back and forward and if/when we bridge the midfield gap we can overtake them.
  • Like 2

I know I am re-opening old wounds but I was most disappointed with Sylvia - could put it down to first game back as well but only did one nice thing (pass to Howe in game 1)- stuggled to finish opportunities and seems to lack class. I won't give up on him just yet but at 27ish you could almost say a wasted talent

Seems to be the elephant in the room.

Not gonna judge too harshly on pre-season, but if he doesn't pull the finger out this year and get some old fashioned desire, he's surely gone. Waiting time is over.

He just doesn't seem to get his hands on it enough. It's frustrating because when he does he is easily one of the most damaging.

Not gonna judge too harshly on pre-season, but if he doesn't pull the finger out this year and get some old fashioned desire, he's surely gone. Waiting time is over.

He just doesn't seem to get his hands on it enough. It's frustrating because when he does he is easily one of the most damaging.

To maintain a fair dinkum shift in attitude and culture, Col Sylvia and Aaron Davey will not play in 2014 at this club.

Agree P Man

We shouldn't be too harsh off 1 practice match - I hope he can have a solid season....

On another highly criticised top pick - J Watts looks cherry ripe, I really do hope this bloke can shove it up a few this season

A Question for you boys and girls - I know we lost Game 1 but i was happy to see Kent??? (I think it was him too many new blokes haha) go back and snag that goal even if we didn't win. I celebrated and said well done son

What are your thoughts - I know J Watts had a crack at him for not passing for the 9 ptr but I thought he showed good compousre (especially after stuffing up his first shot)

At the time, I was extremely underwhelmed by our performance against Richmond. It had all the signs of our loss to them last year, which I think was the worst game I watched last season. Simply hated that game.

Worse than the Sydney game?? That game was 186-esque.

Agree P Man

We shouldn't be too harsh off 1 practice match - I hope he can have a solid season....

On another highly criticised top pick - J Watts looks cherry ripe, I really do hope this bloke can shove it up a few this season

A Question for you boys and girls - I know we lost Game 1 but i was happy to see Kent??? (I think it was him too many new blokes haha) go back and snag that goal even if we didn't win. I celebrated and said well done son

What are your thoughts - I know J Watts had a crack at him for not passing for the 9 ptr but I thought he showed good compousre (especially after stuffing up his first shot)

Yep, I have to admit when I saw it go through I was thinking "nice finish, well done", but really we had a chance to win which he fluffed.

Do I care? Not at all. It was NAB Cup and he's a first year player.

He looks the goods to me. His mistakes were about composure, not skill, so he's going to only get better.

• Like 1

Agree P Man

I love strong, nuggety, ready to play left footers.

Reminds me a bit like Puopolo (spelling?)

Yes, I liked the way Kent went back and took the shot. Did you notice on his previous shot from the other pocket (which went astray) that Hogan had made great position across the goal front about 30 metres out. If Kent had sensed that opportunity I would be totally sold on his Round 1 inclusion. As it is we could say he is a little goal-hungry... not a bad trait in a small forward!

I wasn't talking about us. Why bring everything back to Melbourne on an unrelated observation ?

And yes, I know about Melbourne's team against Richmond. I posted the names and TOG above.

What do you mean unrelated? I was responding to your post, a post that was in direct response to my post referencing/comparing both our performance and that of Hawthorn.

Just watched the replays:

Sylvia was next to useless. Here we go again. I see a long spell at Casey on that form.

McKenzie does no damage.

Gillies is behind Sellar

Our defence is still highly suspect. We don't work hard enough without the ball. Teams keep possession and switch with ease.

We simply do not get our hands on the footy enough and can't keep it when we do.

Our clearance work was a real worry. Slaughtered.

Endeavour and commitment seemed to be a notch above last year. Probably needs to be three notches above.

Previous comments about Jimmy, Hogan and JV seems spot on.

Our turnovers under no pressure will continue to kill us this year unless we can turn it around.

• Like 1

Do you really think so?? I think you're being harsh. 2013 is only his TENTH year at the club. Lets give him a few more years to see what he can do. I mean he's hardly had pre-season but BOY, when he does, look out...

• Like 1

I have to say, having finally seen the Richmond game, the Umpires actually did kill us. There were several incidents that directly contributed to either us not having a scoring opportunity or Richmond getting one. The score in the first half would have been far closer had they not made those howlers.

Maybe, but I'd rather us losing thru the pre season & start to play better footy as we go into the season,,,,,, Than win pre season games & get peoples hopes ahead of where we actually are, then struggle to show the improvement in the early part of the season.

lets hope we can start in strong disciplined form, & maybe even put some wins into the bank.

thats how I'm hoping we'll start off.

It won't surprise me if Richmond touch us up in the regular season - they're well ahead of us now in the midfield and they've recruited well to fill some deficiencies and build their ready-to-go depth, they could have a very good year I think. Nevertheless we're better than them back and forward and if/when we bridge the midfield gap we can overtake them.

????

Where oh where, did I put that?

oh, here it is, filed under 'Punt Rd'. >

img10062603318-600.jpg

Have a listen to what Jonathan Brown said about pre - season games....

In a nutshell, sides that strive for improvement need to start early to gain momentum.

Agreed - but if you look at Brisbane compared to the us the situationa are a lot different. Brisbane have a much more settled side and would probably know their best 22. I'd say the Dees wouldn't know who our best 22 are....

So in response to your statement Jumbo I think you'll see the Dees experimenting a lot until round 1 - is this a good thing??? I don't know but it is hard to judge after 1 (well 2 games but overall one) practice match

PS That Allen Iverson clip is an NBA classic - and he was a gun

Just watched the replays:

Sylvia was next to useless. Here we go again. I see a long spell at Casey on that form.

McKenzie does no damage.

Gillies is behind Sellar

Our defence is still highly suspect. We don't work hard enough without the ball. Teams keep possession and switch with ease.

We simply do not get our hands on the footy enough and can't keep it when we do.

Our clearance work was a real worry. Slaughtered.

Endeavour and commitment seemed to be a notch above last year. Probably needs to be three notches above.

Previous comments about Jimmy, Hogan and JV seems spot on.

Our turnovers under no pressure will continue to kill us this year unless we can turn it around.

I think your analysis of our first hitouts are spot on - still you're talking about practice (haha couldn't help myself)

My view is that these practice matches are valuable but for individual form's sake.

Anything read into these games is based on stilted and sparse evidence.

If we get touched up next weekend in Renmark rpfc

what will be your view?

If we get touched up next weekend in Renmark rpfc

what will be your view?

Not a great deal different to if we touch them up...

These games are more valuable than the Mickey Mouse Threeway of the last two weeks but they are still all about giving players a go, learning styles and patterns, and testing an individuals progress by 'pushing what you would normally do to measure progress.' (On a simple level this could be playing a mid across HF, or challenge someone to play the 'slot' role in centre clearances ie. the target player, or reader.)

Look, it is good for the fans if we can come out and beat Collingwood at Etihad, but I will be playing my own PS games soon and what we will take out of them will have little to do with the scoreboard. I want to get better and if that means explain people to see whether they sink or float - then do it.

These games mean nothing.

Edited by rpfc

Not a great deal different to if we touch them up...

These games are more valuable than the Mickey Mouse Threeway of the last two weeks but they are still all about giving players a go, learning styles and patterns, and testing an individuals progress by 'pushing what you would normally do to measure progress.' (On a simple level this could be playing a mid across HF, or challenge someone to play the 'slot' role in centre clearances ie. the target player, or reader.)

Look, it is good for the fans if we can come out and beat Collingwood at Etihad, but I will be playing my own PS games soon and what we will take out of them will have little to do with the scoreboard. I want to get better and if that means explain people to see whether they sink or float - then do it.

These games mean nothing.

I seem to recall us having this discussion in past years rpfc so I won't labour the discussion.

leaving aside the players / FD I think they have a big effect on supporters and if they front up and buy memberships.

again we disagree on this subject.

For a club like the MFC that has been sh for years I think the membership / supporters need some hope.

Getting done by 5 goals against Port will not create much hope.